Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Dual Current Drive Gearbox Heat issue

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Dual Current Drive Gearbox Heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 03:17 PM
PanzerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Current Drive Gearbox Heat issue

Hey guys,

Been a long while since I've posted on here. Hope everyone is doing great. I recently changed my King Tiger to a TK6.1S. I purchased a Heng Long Dual Current Drive gearbox assembly from Forgebear tanks and installed it. Worked flawlessly. So today I actually had some time to take it for a proper test run and managed to drive it about 500 feet before it stopped moving. Sounded like a stripped gear. So I opened up the tank and the main drive motor was so hot I was worried. The motor mounting bolts had loosened and cause the drive belt to lose tension. My question is this: Is it normal for the main drive motor on these units to get so hot they burn you instantly? (I would think not) and will that heat transfer through the drive gear stretch the drive belt? I tested the chassis with the gearbox out and there is no resistence whatsoever. It will freewheel across the floor with the tracks on. I removed the tracks and made sure nothing was binding to cause drag on the motor as well. Thanks for any input!

PanzerAce
Old 03-25-2022, 05:09 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PanzerAce
Hey guys,

Been a long while since I've posted on here. Hope everyone is doing great. I recently changed my King Tiger to a TK6.1S. I purchased a Heng Long Dual Current Drive gearbox assembly from Forgebear tanks and installed it. Worked flawlessly. So today I actually had some time to take it for a proper test run and managed to drive it about 500 feet before it stopped moving. Sounded like a stripped gear. So I opened up the tank and the main drive motor was so hot I was worried. The motor mounting bolts had loosened and cause the drive belt to lose tension. My question is this: Is it normal for the main drive motor on these units to get so hot they burn you instantly? (I would think not) and will that heat transfer through the drive gear stretch the drive belt? I tested the chassis with the gearbox out and there is no resistence whatsoever. It will freewheel across the floor with the tracks on. I removed the tracks and made sure nothing was binding to cause drag on the motor as well. Thanks for any input!

PanzerAce
What are the battery specs you used with the set up?
Old 03-26-2022, 11:46 AM
PanzerAce

I am using 2S 6200 mAh 7.4v LiPos.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:59 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive never used the hl version but I’ve a lot of the original pdsgb. I’ve never had that level of heat, even in heavy tanks on 3s power.

however a friend did have a HengLong one where the motor burnt out very quickly. Could be a dodgy motor? Or the belts been setup too tight so it’s screaming?
Old 03-26-2022, 12:09 PM
PanzerAce

The belt losing tension which caused it to stop moving was the only reason I even opened it. It was making no noise (whining, squealing, screaming) of any kind). I was actually extremely impressed at how quiet it was operating. My Leopard2A6 is heavier than this King Tiger and it also has the same style gearbox but it doesnt get nearly as hot with 10x the run distance and the same TK6.1S control board. I put in a 3s 5200 mAh 11.1v LiPo earlier (hindsight is 20/20 and this was stupid) and it partially melted the motor under barely any throttle in less than 50 feet. I really am at a loss a this point.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:52 PM
Shagnifico

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve noticed that my tanks with bigger motors get hot with 7.4 batteries but stay cool with 12v battery.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:07 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Really need to see the motor data sheets of the motors you are using and the ones you replaced to get a good idea whats going on.

But the thought comes to mind:

Higher power motors will generally have lower impedance, which would draw more current, and if the voltage is not stiff enough, will draw more current as heating as inefficency increases the motor lags and draws more current to catch up thus causing even more heating