Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:53 AM
fv432
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions decisions

hey guys got a choice on the next tank (hl) m26 pershing or m41a3 in your opinions which is better
please dont say both or the missus will kill me
Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: decisions decisions

The Bulldog would have the edge in maneuverability, it has higher ground clearance. It has no combat history with American forces, it's tracks are a bit out of scale. The Pershing was the predecessor of the Patton tank series and fought with distinction in the waning days of WW2 and Korea. Other then being slightly more agile, it comes down to personal preference.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:02 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bulldog!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
The_Stuff

have to say bulldog for maneuvering. Pershing is good, but i find the out side track drive sprocket catches on everything, and in snow it packs it in there. dunno bout mud/dirt yet.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Both are great tanks. You can always hide one, and she won't be able to tell the difference

Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 AM
pattoncommander

Maybe it's the electronics, but I find my M-21 maneuvers better and has better speed and soft steering control over the Pershing, which seems to have only stop and full speed. The steering is very jerky, same as my Tiger. The Pershing I converted to M-45 has the same problem, so I think it's the electronics.
Does the Bulldog have a better rc system? My Bulldog doesn't want to fire properly. I can hear the clunk and at first, the ball just dribbled out the gun and then a few shots got out a few feet. The Tiger and Pershing fire well and hit hard. ?????? Also the track-sprocket line-up doesn't seem absolutely correct as the left track wants to pop at one point and it seems the teeth are not engaging right, but so far it hasn't thrown a track. .

Bill
Old 02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
pattoncommander

I need practice typing...I wrote M-21, meant M-41 Walker Bulldog.
Bill
Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

the Pershing, which seems to have only stop and full speed. The steering is very jerky, same as my Tiger.
Maybe you bought the 2-speed, non S&S version because my Pershing has smooth proportional speed and steering. It pays to get the 10-speed version from Mato.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 AM
swathdiver

Bill your gun may have a broken breech. As for your electronics, do all the tanks have removeable crystals in the transmitter? If yes, then they'd all have the exact same electronics in them. Ohh, I'm getting ready to upgrade the gun on my M41, do you what the correct length of the barrel is? From muzzle brake to mantlet?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 PM
pattoncommander

The M-41 has replacable chips. Heng long sent me a set when I went thru Ebay arbitration and raised hell about the controller. The other, I don't know as I don't know a transister from a fuse. I'm getting together with some guys in Greensboro next month and will have some expert advice.
Thanks
Bill
Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
pattoncommander

On the gun tube for the M-41, it's also too thick, so looks more like a 90mm than a 76. Better to replace the whole gun tube.
Bill
Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM
swathdiver

Does each tanks' controller look the same? On the lower right, is there a switch or a numbered crystal sticking out? That's the difference. I was thinking about removing the outter barrel when I upgrade the airsoft unit, just use the brass barrel and fabricate a new flash hider and muzzle brake. Do you have literature or know how long it should be?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Bill your gun may have a broken breech.
What is a breech and where is it? Do you have a picture? My Bulldog gun is also not firing, and the led on the gun doesn't light up either.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Richard L.

TankZone sells the HL Transmitter Proportional Control Unit, Part #HLACC01B, which enables proportional speed control of new smoking and sound version of Heng Long 1/16 tanks:
[link]http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/tz_henglong.htm[/link]
Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 PM
fv432
Banned

wow !!! cheers guys my minds made up its gonna be the bulldog liked it when i first seen it.
sorry for not replying to individual posts work took me away from my tanks well i do have to pay for my obsession!!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
delche

Good choice! The only problem you will have is that you won't be able to keep yourself from taking it apart and breaking it just so you can start modifying it
Old 02-07-2007, 07:15 PM
fv432
Banned

oh my god are we all the same just been examining my 1/35 M41 to see what could be improved on (havent even ordered it yet)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 PM
pattoncommander

Richard, does the HL transmitter work on the earlier non smoke Pershing and tigers? I'll swing by the museum tomorrow and measure the gun tube. All my controllers look alike except the Bulldog, which has the removable chip which matches with one on the RC board in the tank. The others don't have these. Plus the Bulldog has black movable sliders which do control the movement to some extent. I think these are fine adjustments. On the Pershing and tiger, these do not move. .

To everyone;
terminology; tank gun barrel = gun tube
the blast deflector at the muzle end of the gun tube is a muzzle brake (or blast deflector) and the can behind it is the bore evacuator. (On later tanks, the can is more toward the middle of the tube.) This extracts burning fumes from the large bore of the gun until the loader can chamber another round and seal the breech again. (Breech is the rear end of the gun inside the turret.) Earlier loaders had no eyebrows and face was sunburned from the burning fumes flashing back into the turret. The Pershing had a very heavy double baffle muzzle brake, with two flat areas to kick the muzzle blast to the side. M-26A1 and later models went to a single baffle.

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the sites.

Bill
Old 02-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Richard, does the HL transmitter work on the earlier non smoke Pershing and tigers? I'll swing by the museum tomorrow and measure the gun tube. All my controllers look alike except the Bulldog, which has the removable chip which matches with one on the RC board in the tank. The others don't have these. Plus the Bulldog has black movable sliders which do control the movement to some extent. I think these are fine adjustments. On the Pershing and tiger, these do not move. .
Ah, your other tanks beside your Bulldog only have two speeds, hence the jerky steering. The black movable sliders on the Bulldog transmitter are trim levers. They allow you to trim the steering if your tank wants to turn slightly one way for some reason. The removable chip on the transmitter is a crystal. The one in the tank is also a crystal on the same frequency as the one in the transmitter. The HL transmitter with proportional module only works for later HL tanks with smoke and sound. I believe only HL "Super Version" tanks come with quasi-proportional 10-speed transmitter.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 PM
swathdiver

Richard, If I read that right its simply a replacement part, the smoke and sound tanks already have that control. The earlier smoke and sound upgrade kits had this part in them, you had to take apart and upgrade the transmitter as well. Nowadays the upgrade kits come with a complete RTR transmitter.

Looks like Bill has one smoke and sound tank and a couple of the old ones. Bill, for about $28 plus shipping you can purchase electronics just like your Bulldog, this keeps parts common and of course your old 2-speed tanks will drive 10x better! Even if you don't care about the sound or smoke, the driveability improvement alone is worth the upgrade. I've done it to 4 of mine so far.

Big Faux Paux on the nomenclature! Muzzle Break, Bore Evacuator! ARRRGGHH!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:32 PM
swathdiver

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

What is a breech and where is it? Do you have a picture? My Bulldog gun is also not firing, and the led on the gun doesn't light up either.
The breech is where the round seats before the piston pushes it through the barrel. They are usually black, sometimes green. Inside the breech is a rubber bushing that holds the bb in place, the aluminum barrel goes into the gun, into the breech and rests up against the rubber bushing. The piston nozzle comes in from the rear and the shock often splits the breech in half. I've also had them come out in multiple pieces.

Now, you say you have no lights or motor sound. First open your TX and check for loose wires on the left stick. If not, open the tank, get into the turret and look for a loose wire, its common for the red wire on the negative terminal (it's power- the motor spins backwards) to come loose as its a little short.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10273.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	616185  
Old 02-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Benny Boy

Swathdiver YOU ARE WRONG. The bulldog enter battle with the germans(watch the movie patton)
Old 02-08-2007, 05:58 AM
tanktrack

That cracked me up " watch the movie patton ".....
try this link benny boy and you will see swathdiver is correct..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M41_Walker_Bulldog
Old 02-08-2007, 06:25 AM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

yea thats a good one ,not to many german tanks left to make movies like patton .so they used what they had .the bulldog
ORIGINAL: Benny Boy

Swathdiver YOU ARE WRONG. The bulldog enter battle with the germans(watch the movie patton)
Old 02-08-2007, 06:26 AM
Benny Boy

But in the movie it has bulldogs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.