Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New life to an old Cat

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New life to an old Cat

You know i have been tempted to get the new guts King Tiger from tamiya but overall im pleased with this old kit. I have the Tamiya Tiger 1 and am happy enough with that. I kinda treat my King Tiger like a museum would treat theirs though. I got lucky and it still runs after all these years and the abuses it had prevoius to my ownership.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

Camo has been applied and i have started some base weathering. Have to paint the marking on it first before i do any more weathering. I had considered leaving it without any markings since alot of units got their king tigers and were rushed into combat so uickly they didnt have time to paint them on. Im thinking of making it KT # 105 from LSSAH. It got seperated from the unit at one point and was never able to rejoin. I have one distant poc of it without any side skirts..
Old 12-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Leo2A6 Owner

The King Tiger is done. I made it vehicle 113 of the 101st PzAbt LSSAH. it had a camo pattern quite similar to the one i applied to the tank already. The markings are hand painted as they would have been by the crew too. At this time the 101st had 2 different types of numbers on their turrets. Sometimes it was red outlined by white or a a solid yellow color. I chose the solid yellow one partly because it happened to fit with the camo also so it would add some color but not stand out too loudly.

So do you guys think this is an overall improvement? I feel it is. It makes the vehicle more striking to look at and a fresher feel. Trust me when i say it was junk when i first got it. It had a brush applied almost flesh tan color with red dots all over it. Over that was another layer of brushed(thickly mind you) red brown splotches. The road wheels were assembled incorrectly and there was THICK glue all over the seams. It took alot of work getting it to look as good as it did in the first pics. After its first revision i had let my wife drive it. She bankstabbed it and the barrel went right back into the turret and through the rear. She hasent driven a tank since. Then there was the problem with not running for long. it would go 10 feet then stop. it turned out it was the mechanical speed control overheating. So out it came and in went a new ESC. It also had a turret rotation gearbox but no motor installed. So that had then been fitted. still some bugs but it rotates.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75823.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	837047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39746.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	837048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73965.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	837049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84956.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	837050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19448.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	837051  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Leo2A6 Owner

Last post edited. Ned some feedback and want some opinions on it. I havent done a major refurb like this before. The stug was one thing but mostly just building on what was already there. The King Tiger was a complete refit inside and out.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:36 AM
crxsidan85

i think it looks great. i have a clutched king tiger as well and the thread was inspiring to me. good job!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:55 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tank looks great! Like the look without the track guards. Gonna cover it in whitewash for winter?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:34 AM
Leo2A6 Owner

Thanks guys. I might. I want to let the paint cure a bit more though. I did whitewash the Tiger 1 tonight. Its paint is a couple years old and sealed though. I want to let all the acrylics and enamel washes outgas first. Maybe next winter.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
hdbeast

Had to bring this rebuild back up to the front. Leo2A6 Owner, I did follow this build and I still have not received the parts from Willy at ETO (He's promised to send them to me for weeks now, ordered 2 months ago) to start mine, the zimmerit looks great and sorry I didn't send a reply at the finish, I missed it somehow. the paint looks great.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

No prob HD. Alot of my projects seem to drop of the radar once complete. The zimmerit is really easy to do in this scale and honestly others should not be afraid to attempt it. All you need is a tube of white squadron putty and some ACE vinyl combs. You want to use the half of the comb that has the thin teeth that are closer together. Just put a roll of putty at the starting point and drag it along. If it begins to stiffen apply a little liquid model cement to soften it up. If it clogs the comb dont worry. Just let the putty cure then flick the comb with your finger. The putty wont stick to the vinyl. Another reason to use the combs is that you can get 3 or 4 to a pack cheap and then cut them to all the different width spreading tools you would need.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM
hdbeast

ORIGINAL: Leo2A6 Owner

No prob HD. Alot of my projects seem to drop of the radar once complete. The zimmerit is really easy to do in this scale and honestly others should not be afraid to attempt it. All you need is a tube of white squadron putty and some ACE vinyl combs. You want to use the half of the comb that has the thin teeth that are closer together. Just put a roll of putty at the starting point and drag it along. If it begins to stiffen apply a little liquid model cement to soften it up. If it clogs the comb dont worry. Just let the putty cure then flick the comb with your finger. The putty wont stick to the vinyl. Another reason to use the combs is that you can get 3 or 4 to a pack cheap and then cut them to all the different width spreading tools you would need.
Thanks, you may have changed my mind on doing the zimmerit.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep, nice zimm work! I need to try it soon.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

I highly recommend it . Also if you want something simpler to use until you get the hang of it you can practice using some wall spackling paste. Its the same consistency and sticks the same way.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I like the white putty from Squadron. For small seams and filling in it's all I use.

For the bigger work, milliput or that polyester putty from Tamiya works nice too. The Porsche KT and probably the JagdPanther will have to have zimm.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

I know this thread is old and i havent been on the boards for a while. Been out of the RC tank mindset for a bit. The King Tiger will now be getting its gearbox overhauled. I havent really cleaned it well since i got it. Well tonight i got all of the gears out of it. Man what a mess. I will be replacing some gears with other spares from a Leopard 1 clutch box. Not all the gears are the same but the key ones that need swapping do match. Keep your eyes peeled. Right now they are soaking in degreaser.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

Gearbox rebuild went well. It shines like new. all major points lubed. The bushings werent as bad as i though. After a good cleaning the fit actually tightened up a bit. There was 30 years of gunk, lube and grit on it. The whole assembly was just black and nasty. My wife thought i was working on a real tank from how black my hands were. Just waiting for my batts to charge so i can adjust the clutch discs and give it a final check run.