Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Help Needed Guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:38 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Needed Guys

Hi guys. I really need some ideas on how to shield an IR detector board. The one I got from Nick is just the boared with the red LED's and the IR sensors. I need too make it portable also which makes things a litlle more complicated. If I wanted too bury it in the 88mm diarama it wouldn't be so hard but I have made a contol box for it so I can just pick up the gun and box and be off with it as too not have too take the whole monster diarama. Any Ideas? Thanks guys.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
123Splat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help Needed Guys

You can shield the IR dectector with any Non-transparent/Non-translucent medium, like cardboard or plasti-card.
Hiding the dectector would block sensing hits, not fair. If you hide it behind a semi-transparent medium (like a dark colored celulose sheet), you would still score hits.
You should not need to shield the circuit board, just hide it. Try making up a stack of ammo boxes (Made from balsa wood).

Hope i understood your question and provided a useful answer.

best,

Splat
Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Semi-transparent medium can't be glass. IR doesn't pass through glass well. The glass attenuates the signal a lot.

Of course, that said, glass would probably be heavy and hard to work with anyways, huh?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:13 PM
goldenraven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make your own IR module

http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/dbc_snd.shtml

Goldenraven
Old 10-21-2008, 06:36 PM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you mean http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/dbu_inst.shtml Goldenraven?

Panther G, what do you mean "shield" it. Do you mean shield it from IR shots from tanks (to make it harder to hit), or do you mean shield it from sunlight to stop false hits?
If it's sunlight, you could do as GoldenRaven suggest and build a baffle set for it. You could also try a piece of dark exposed film negative (if you can find any!). "A simple visible light filter can be made by cutting the dark portion off a developed 35mm film negative. This will absorb most of the visible light while passing the infrared signal through."
Even better is to do both...

Other solutions would be to scavenge a visible light filter from a TBU, HBU, or old remote control that has a dark "window" over the IR LED.

D.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes darkith it was the light filtering I was concerned about, not hidding the IR detectors from hits. that woulnd't be sporty now would it LOL.