Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL M26 Pershing Right Track Frozen

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL M26 Pershing Right Track Frozen

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:47 PM
TGVoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL M26 Pershing Right Track Frozen

Hello

I have a HL M26 Pershing Snow Leopard. The right track is frozen regardless of what I try on the controller (forward, reverse etc.). It was working just fine until I left it in stand by (lights flashing) for about 40 minutes and after pressing the key to start it up the right track froze. I would really appreciate any and all insight as to what may be causing the problem. I figure that either something is lodged in the track itself or for whatever reason the tank is no longer receiving the proper signal from the controller. I've checked the track as best I can & I can't see anything that would cause it to freeze up like this. Also, the drive wheel doesn't seem to be responding at all.

Any help & or suggestions, or similar experiences regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim
Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: HL M26 Pershing Right Track Frozen

Did you ever get it going? I've seen motors get a small burn mark on the commutator and the brush not carry the current, so I would open it up and rotate the pinion gear/motor 180 degrees and then try it again.

HTH
Old 03-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the track locked? Can you turn it by hand? If so it is electrical. Let us know.
Perry
Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM
TGVoz

Thanks for the responses. I haven't had a chance to open it up yet but as soon as I can I'll check ot the motor. I can't turn the track manually because I never got around to "breaking in the gears".

Thanks
Tim
Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Panther G

Breaking in the gears should not prevent you from turning the track manually. yes it would be more difficult but not impossible. something must be jammed in the track or between the idler and track
Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 PM
TGVoz

I am probably missing something very basic here but, I can't even get the left track to turn manually. I'm afraid if I try any harder that I'll break something.

As for the idler wheel, where might that be located? I've seen them on the Panther, Panzer/Kampfwagon, Stumgeschutz etc. but don't recognize them on the HL S&S M26 Pershing. Like I said I'm probably missing something very basic here.

My first thought was that something had jammed the track as I really hadn't done much driving before I put it in standby and therefore really didn't notice until later when I tried to drive it again. I don't understand why things would go wonky as a result of the tank just sitting there for 40 minutes.

Thanks
Tim
Old 03-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Perry S.

Until you figure out why it is not moving do not try running it. If it is a mechanical jam and you put the power to it you will burn out your electronics, if they aren't already.

I would recommend that you take the track off and see if you can then turn the drive sprocket. You can remove this it by taking out a pin or by removing the drive sprocket by the screw (hex or phillips) in the center. It's a simple affair to open your tank up. just a couple of screws from the bottom. Owning a Heng Long tank, you will have to sooner or later anyways. Don't be afraid it will just heighten your interest in the hobby to get in there.

Take some pics and post here, as you can see, there are plenty of people here that will help.
Perry
Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 PM
19th Alta Dragoon

I had the same problem . What it was is the gears were plastic, and one of the tooths on the gear broke and jammed. The problem for me was the left gear, so I replaced the plastic gears with metal gears .No problem after that.

Bob
Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Panther G

That sounds like the most probable mechanical answer if nothing is noticably jamming the tracks on the outside.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 PM
TGVoz

Ok, I finally got around to pulling the gearbox out of the M26 Pershing & discovered that the right gear box is frozen solid. I don't understand how this is possible as a thorough examination of the gears revealed that nothing was impeding the gears themselves. I suppose this is why it is recommended to break in the gears first.

I've gone ahead & ordered the Steel Gearboxes from Bill over at RC Command. Does anyone know if these require "breaking in"?

Thanks
Tim

Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
afv

Take the motor off and try to spin the gears, i bought a new set of metal gears and had a similar problem, the tiny screw that
holds the motor on was snagging the armature

regards Jack.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Panther G

The steel gears do not need to be broken in, But it is still a good idea to run in the motors slowly at a low voltage just like you would breaking in the gears in bothe directions. this will make the motors last much longer and run better. Try using 1 D" cell battery. Thats about 3 volts i think. I ususally just make a stick using 3 AA sized batteries and tape my alligator leads to the ends. A cheap quick way to power the motors. It is best to take them out of the gear boxes so there is no load on them while running them in but it is not absolutely nesseary.