Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

totenkopf helmet decals

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:13 AM
laz2428

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default totenkopf helmet decals

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone can help, I am looking for 1/16 scale totenkopf helmet decals, can anyone point me in the right direction, I have searched the internet and all I can find is 1/6, 1/35, 1.72 basically every size but ...... I am starting to think that the only way to get them is to make them but they will be so fiddley to do.

I have attached a piccy of the decals just in case anyone can help
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59721.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1205479  
Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Ern

Default RE: totenkopf helmet decals

It looks like Peddinghaus does. Toward the bottom of Page 3. The one on the left has the wrong picture and shows Luftwaffe instead of SS uniform decals and the one next to it the image is too small but it looks like they are there. Shoot them an email to make sure they have what you are looking for

http://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/ind...limitstart=100

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98279.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1205482  
Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM
laz2428

Thanks Ern, I'll give them a go

Richard

Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 AM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The decals you pictured are SS helmet decals, don't know why your referring to them as "totenkopf decals". (Although, of course, there was a Waffen-SS division named "Totenkopf".

The double decals you show were mostly used on the black Allgemeine-SS helmets of the "asphalt troops". Early on, Waffen-SS had double decals also, but most Waffen-SS helmets only had ONE decal, the "SS" bolt one. I don't remember the date, but an order was given to Waffen-SS troops to remove the swastika shield decal from their helmets (typically by scraping it off). Because of this, real original wartime double decal Waffen-SS helmets are quite rare. If your modeling Waffen-SS troops in 1/16 scale, to be authetic, you most likely should only have the single decal on the right side (your right side as if wearing it on your head)of the helmet.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:00 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you are incorrect Waffen SS troops used double decals on there helmets until 1943 then the order was given to drop the left decal with the national flag though some troops continued applying this decal latter on in 1944 the order was given to drop the decals completely and again troops continued to apply both or just a single decal, Verlinder has a decal sheet with SS helmet decals
Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM
smittyrob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are mistaken, in 1940 the order was to remove the party shield (swastika) from the helmet. The 1943order was to remove the SS runes shield from the helmet.
This is well documented and photo's from the early 40's on show troops most of the time with only the one SS rune shield on the helmets ride side.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: smittyrob

You are mistaken, in 1940 the order was to remove the party shield (swastika) from the helmet. The 1943order was to remove the SS runes shield from the helmet.
This is well documented and photo's from the early 40's on show troops most of the time with only the one SS rune shield on the helmets ride side.
I think your dates are the correct ones. I didn't remember the dates nor about the rune decal being eliminated as well. Oh well..Only reason I knew about this at all is that my friend collects the real items. He has both authentic and original Allgemeine and Waffen-SS helmets. He's been collecting them for over 35 years. I'll have to confirm the dates with him next time I talk to him.He will definitely know which dates arecorrect. I do know that real authentic double decal Waffen-SS helmets (that have not had decals ADDED to them post war by people trying to increase their value) are a rarity.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
smittyrob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do know that real authentic double decal Waffen-SS helmets (that have not had decals ADDED to them post war by people trying to increase their value) are a rarity.

Indeed, I collect original helmets as well, but have no ss or decalled helmets. Even they are getting more and more expensive.

They eliminated the national shield on heer,luftwaffe,kriegsmarine helmets and the party shield on the ss in 1940 because they made great visible targets. Of course as previously mentioned many troops didn't remove them and many earlier helmets with decals were re-issued, but after 43 they came from the factory without decals.