Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long noob is disappointed.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long noob is disappointed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 PM
eugeniusgenx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long noob is disappointed.

OK. I got this Heng Long Tiger 1 through eBay. It is a S+S, with metal drive sprockets tracks and gearboxes.
Anyway I came home this evening and went tio fire it up, and It wont do anything. The lights just flash, and it wont fire up when i press the key button. I have opened up the transmitter and the tank, nothing jumps out at me. no disconnected wires or anything. Took it to the local r/c shop got the battery tested, no problem there. tried different crystals, different battery, nothing.
Please help me. Believe it or not this is my 40th b-day gift and well this is a letdown.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 PM
RMSINSD

Default RE: Heng Long noob is disappointed.

eBay, huh? You don't get a lot of support there. I bought my first HL tank from a non-support type (read: bargain) internet source. Learning quickly enough, my subsequent purchases were from RCCommand. If it doesn't work, they'll work with you diligently to fix the problem. Worth the five or ten percent higher cost, any day. You might still contact them, they can sell you whatever replaccement parts you might need.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 PM
eugeniusgenx

Sounds like a plan. How can I diagnose the problem?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 PM
TexasSP

Email Bill over at RCCommand. He is a top notch guy and would probably still help you.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM
mizuinu

must be the crystals in the transmitter or on the tank itself have poor connection. it also happened to me once.
I slightly bended the potruding pointy thingie ( i dunno what its called) on the crystal in the tank & it worked for me
Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is usually an indication of a problem between the receiver and the ESC or a crystal. Put in the orignal crystals that came with the tank. Do they fit snug or are they pretty loose????. IF they are loose take an exacto knife and push the metal connections of the socket toward each other. Lick the crystal and reset them. Unplug the three wire harness between the esc and the receiver, and reset them. Try starting it again. Let us know what happens
Old 06-19-2009, 05:03 AM
eugeniusgenx

The esc?
Old 06-19-2009, 06:48 AM
tc1cat

Electronic speed control.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the batteries in the transmitter. Sometimes the light comes on but unless the batteries are in right it won't transmit.

Push each pair of batteries away from the spring end. If you're using rechargable batteries you may need to remove the little sliding tabs that seperate each pair of batteries.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:53 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

sounds like the crystals. check if they are the same frequency,. if so then adjust the ends of the crystals so they sit properly in the tanks. make sure you press the start button hard
Old 06-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Snypa

Had the same problem myself, just keep troubleshooting down to the specific problem area, sounds like you have either a frequency/reciever issue or it might be your remote.. I actually had the samething happen to me twice, when Ifirst got my panzer 3, powered up the battery etc, turned on all the switches, would get flashing lights, but wouldn't be able to turn it on, everytime Iwould press the key, it wouldnt turn on..... soon realized after some tinkering that the key button needs to be held down for like 3 seconds (bad instructions) not pressed, got it working. Played with it for a week or two, then the samething happened again, exact same symptoms, transmitter on, tank swtich on, getting flashing lights, but it won't start up, started troubleshooting as you did, realized the frequency crystal on the remote (bottom right area of the remote) just needed to be pushed in a little tighter (guess it was a little loose), if that doesn't work, check also the crystal in the tank to make sure it's not loose either.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 PM
eugeniusgenx

Well.
I went to the local r/c store, but they don't have any fm crystal to test so...
Anyway, I tried all of these things and nothing. Still the same thing. Flashing lights and no signal.
I think I need to make a decision. Should I invest in a new transmitter? Or new crystals? With a new transmitter, if the problem turns out to be the crystals, then I can throw the trams on eBay.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
TexasSP

New crystals can be had for much cheaper than a new TX/RX.  The stock TX/RX  are not fantastic, but for what the tanks actually need they work fine.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:19 PM
seaphoto

At some point, it might be cheaper to just get a second tank to do your troubleshooting, and then either keep it, or sell it.   I just got a HL Panzer III that worked OK out of the box, so take heart that they do work, you just have one with a problem.   I just opened mine up to assess the room inside for some improvements, and to just poke around a bit, and everything looks straightforward.  To be honest, I am not crazy about the start button either.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:12 PM
eugeniusgenx

Well, finally a good report.
I said a prayer, and did one last thing. I switched the crystals, and.......no luck. I was in the process of giving up and I went to put the crystals back in their right places, and I got the one for the tank itself wedged and missed the spot where it was to plug in. I had the top off and so I removed the board to get it out then it hit me. The little board inside flexes when you push the crystal in  so while I had it out I pressed the crystal in and voila! Vroooom. Seems OK. 
Old 06-20-2009, 07:06 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

as I had suspected, it was a crystal issue. (glad to hear its working now)