Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

RADIO AND MOTOR SETUP FOR KYOSHO BLIZZARD DX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

RADIO AND MOTOR SETUP FOR KYOSHO BLIZZARD DX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 PM
drypipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RADIO AND MOTOR SETUP FOR KYOSHO BLIZZARD DX

I have a old Kyosho "Blizzard DX" with two stock brushed motors. One motor operates the right track and the other motor controls the left track. each motor is now linked to two Tazer 15T escs. I have no surface TX or RX at this time.

My question is:

1. How do I get each motor to run like dual motors in a typical r/c tank?

2. What kind of surface radio and RX do I use 4ch or 2ch?

3. How are the motors/ESCs connected to RX so that the left throttle stick when moved forward makes the snow cat go forward and when moved back, makes the snow cat move in reverse?

4. Also how do you make the left stick on the transmitter when moved left and right make the snow cat turn left and right? In other words, Stop movement of opposite track to make turns?

These may be dumb questions but I'm an airplane guy.

Any insight would be of great help!

Drypipe.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: RADIO AND MOTOR SETUP FOR KYOSHO BLIZZARD DX

Drypipe:

Having owned not one but two of the DX chassis (one as the Blizzard, one as the Heavy Metal Monster Tank w/ van body) I guess I'm one of the better people here to advise you (and seeing as no-one else has spoken up...) You want a separate throttle/steering linkage, is that correct?

As the DX is run with two separate track-motors like the new Tamiya DMD units, the first assumption would be to use a Tamiya DMD T-01 controller, but they don't come cheap these days. The first usually-suggested replacement is one of the Dimension Engineering 'Sabretooth 2x10RC' ESC unit (http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ooth2X10RC.htm) The Sabretooth unit can do both twin-track and steering & throttle setups with the move of a jumper. List is $65 US. This would liberate the ESC's you've got...

But if you want to minimize costs, you just need to add a mixer box to your current ESC's. Mixers (like they use for aileron servos, etc.) run about $15 bucks, and when you plug your twin-ESC's into it, you should get the separated throttle & steering controls you want. As you're an airctraft guy, you might even have one laying about, right? Even more savings.

The Dimension Engineering unit can do both twin-twick and throttle/steering setups, but as you already have the ESC's, just adding the mixer is the cheapest way. Some radios can mix internally, but you only need a 2-channel, and I haven't seen a 2ch. yet that can do that. Yes, you only need a two-channel, probably a wheel & trigger, and any surplus Losi unit with stand-alone Rx should do. Easily found on eBay, as most of the racers upgrade to better models. If you want to add other functions, like lights on/off while running, or other tweaks (like a water cannon, or something else) you'll want more channels.

If ya need any further help, just ask here, or PM.

WhiteWolf
Old 10-27-2009, 12:48 PM
drypipe

Thank You soooo much!!

A "mixer box" seems the way to go since I have already installed two new Tazer escs in the DX. I have not used a mixer box on my aircraft but I can get one at my LHS.

So, this Mixer Box is connected to both escs and then plugged into ch 1@2 on RX?
That mixer box will now will give me forward and reverse control on left "throttle" stick and track steering L@R on the left stick?

AS for radio, I do have a surface 2ch Futuba "Attack" with a R152JE RX? This radio does not have a mixing function BUT, I do have a 3ch aircraft radio that has mixing and related RX? Not a surface radio but may just work? Any FCC Rules broken here?

Drypipe.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Drypipe:

Yes, but if I remember correctly, and your man at the RC shop should be able to back me up, you'll want to disconnect one 'hot' (red/power) lead from the ESC's, otherwise both will be trying to feed the components with power, and you may blow both ESC's (the internal BEC, remember?) Best way is to slip the red power lead connector out of the servo plug, and put a bit of heat-shrink over it. That way no permanent damage (like snipping the wire w/ nippers) is done. If you want to, you could even disconnect both, and go with an external battery pack. Then your Dx won't freak when the mail battery pack goes low (the ESC's may have a low-power cut-out/failsafe) If you get the wrong function on the wrong stick, reverse the two 'mixer-to-Rx' cables. If left stick turns right, reverse the two ESC-to-Mixer cables. and if fwd/reverse are muffed, reverse the relevant ESC-to-motor cables. All part of the troubleshooting.

And the Futaba Attack is just fine. One of the Pistol Tx's would be easier for throttle/steering, but if its a matter of using what ya got, the Attack is just fine. I wouldn't know about the 3ch Aircraft unit... I was tempted to get into flying until the $75 yearly insurance, and matching club cost (yearly) scared me off. $150 just to be allowed to fly at their field (insurance dun cover ya anywhere else) is not my idea of fun. Boat club needs no insurance, and is only $50 or so. And there is no display-class car/tank club locally, so thats free all round.

As for FCC regs... most guys only care if they are running at a display with others, or the host makes it an issue. Personally, if you CAN comply, I think you should. If the Attack is 27 or 75, and the 3ch is 72, definately go with the Attack. Most people are always sure they won't get caught, but it only takes one incident for a report, and if you're caught, you could loose the gear, get a fine, or/and end up with jail time. Here in Canada, they really only care if its in the air... and the clubs self-enforce. The boaters and car clubs tend to... but if you're just messing about in the park, or out in your neighborhood... *shrug*

Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 PM
drypipe

Whitewolf,

Well I went to my LHS and the only "Mixer Box" they had were JR types that cost $60.00! I'll have to check out Tower Hobbies? Where can I find a $15.00 one? They also had a "Y" harness that can reverse aileron servos but I don't think that will work? The sales guy was also an airplane guy and I had a hard time trying to explain what I wanted to do with a Mixing Box except in airplane terminology using delta wing as an example? I was not very successful.

Ok, so far I understand that I MUST remove one "red" middle wires from one of the esc "J" connector leads. If I remove both red leads from both escs, I'll have to use a independent RX battery. Correct?

Next part. If I can not get this "Mixer Box" I can use my 6ch Airtronics 72Mhz Airplane radio with one of my HiTech RXs. This radio has mixing functions!! LOL, I did forget that my radio, the one that I use almost everyday, does have the needed mixing function! Duha.
Now. If I do use my air radio, I still have to remove one of those red wire leads from one of the escs in order to pull this off?
After I have removed one of the Hot leads on the esc connector, the right and left escs "J" connectors get pluged into ch 1@2 on the 6ch RX? Then just play with the mixing functions until I get fwd and reverse movement with the left stick and turning motion on the right stick?

Oh, the Attack 2ch radio is 72Mhz for cars and boats as indicated on the box? I can use the Airtronics 6ch where I live in a remote location and do not belong to a club where others are flying. I fly alone in a cow field, so I think it may be ok to use what I have for now. for running around in the snow with a Kyosho Blizzard DX.

Drypipe.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 PM
drypipe

I have been looking at the Dimension Sabertooth 2X10 and it seems that it will do the job. My two Tazer esc each run on a separate NiMh 2000mAh battery stick. I think having two batteries would give me longer run time since each motor has its own battery. Like I have said, I can use my Airtronics radio but the left stick does not return to center neutral idel position, where up would make the Blizzard move forward and pushed back on the stick, will make the Blizzard move reverse. If the stick is not touched, I want it to automatically return to idel in the center position. I don't want to alter the stick centering function on this radio for the Blizzard application, so I guess I will have to either sell the Tazer escs and invest in a Sabertooth or use my Attack 2ch radio, where the left stick does return to center idle, and some how try to locate that "Mixer Box" somewhere on the web?

Tower Hobbies does not carry this box and they do not have a Tamyia DMD T-01 controller. Ebay has a guy selling a controller similar to the Sabertooth for $65.00. But I havent found a Mixing Box as of yet!

Drypipe.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:51 PM
v4impactor

I'm curious as well since I just purchased Blizzard DX from a friend. Would you be able to use a esc such as the Tamiya TEU-103 BK? I know that is designed for twin engine cars but not sure if it could be used on a Blizzad DX. How about these r/c tank twin motor esc?

http://cgi.ebay.com/R-C-Tank-TWIN-MO...item27ac171b7e
Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
drypipe

V4impactor,

I'm not too sure because I am a r/c tank Novice, with capital"N" and mostly an airplane guy. I am still waiting on what Whitewolf has to say. But that tank esc on Ebay is what I saw last week and I am pretty sure that is what we need!! BUT, if we do not want to spend the $65.00 and want to save money by getting that mixing box for $18.00 at Tower Hobbies. I do think that the Sabertooth controller that was suggested by Whitewolf, is the same thing BUT more hobbygrade and made much better. As for that Tamyia controller TEU-103-BK., I asked the seller on Ebay if I could use it for r/c tanks. He may let me know tonight or tomorrow.
I have a mixing Airtronics radio but the throttle does not return to that center idle position. I do have another Hitech Neon SS with mixing that I did upgrade to 4ch and it also has the throttle that does return to center idle. Also like I said, I did find a mixing box on Tower Hobbies website so I think I will use that Futaba Attach 2ch radio with that mixer if the airplane radios dont work out like I think they may. I already have the two tazer escs installed in my DX and they do run on separate batteries this may extend run time where if I had one of those controllers, I will be running on only one battery.

Drypipe.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 AM
pflumitch
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, I'm interested to hear more about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/R-C-Tank-Twin-Mo...item58841adc03

I hear the sabertooth is not good with 7.2 Volt 6-cell batteries. Is this true?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
drypipe

The guy who was selling that Tamyia controller for cars TEU-103-BK said that it can not be used for tanks.
As for that Sabertooth controller capable of handling a 7.2V NiMh battery, it is advertised as capable of up to 18V. I just emailed Dimension Engineering, and asked them if that 2X10RC Sabertooth Controller can handle a 6 cell 7.2v stick pack with a Tamyia connector. I should hear back soon on that controller. Ya, for $10.00 more, the one on EBay has a Tamyia connector! for such a battery and the working voltage is 4-8v. No? I also like the fact that it is made of metal and comes with extra capacitors. After another look, it seems to be well made for the $75.00.

I have already ordered that mixer from Tower Hobbies and will try to use it with my 2ch Attack radio. Now, if this thing does not do what I was told, I will return it back to Tower, sell the Tazer escs and purchase that tank controller on EBay. No more fooling around
I also just emailed Mato Toys and had asked if there is a 3:1 Brass engine gear box combo, that is sold for their Hen Long line of tanks, that just may fit inside my Blizzard DX as an upgrade.

Also, I was told to invest in what is called a "RX18 Board" that will give the motors more torque and power? As of yet, I have not been able to locate one and I am not too sure how it is connected in relation to the esc and RX.

Drypipe.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM
pflumitch

Drypipe,

I was reading this when I saw something about the Sabertooth not working well with 7.2V systems.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2808705/tm.htm

Old 11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had been checking with Dimension Engineering, they seemed to be very willing to offer advice and answer my questions. Here is the correspondence I received -

To:
Subject: Re: Customer support
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:24:12 -0400

Hello!

As long as the voltage doesn't drop significantly below 6V, you should be fine. If it does (or if sudden transients in your motors push it too low temporarily), you'll start to run into brownout problems.

Best Regards,
Tom Bellinger
Dimension Engineering

- Original Message -
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 10:08 PM
Subject: RE: Customer support

Thanks for the info. Will it run reliably on 6 volts? I'm actually running the tank off a sealed lead acid 6 volt battery- it's a little lower in voltage than the usual 7.2 volt batteries, but I can run solid for 10-12 hours vs a half hour. I swee the little brother to this does, but it does not really say for this bigger one.

Thanks again for the info, and so quickly too.
Glenn

> From: [email protected]
> To:
> Subject: Re: Customer support
> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 17:48:07 -0400
>
> Hello!
>
> I haven't heard of anyone using it in that specific setup, but if those
> specs are accurate it should work fine.
>
> Hope that helps!
> Tom Bellinger
> Dimension Engineering
>
> - Original Message -
> From:
> To: <[email protected]>;
> <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
> Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 9:58 AM
> Subject: Customer support
>
>
> >I was wondering if anyone had used Sabertooth dual 10A motor driver for R/C
> >for a Tamiya radio control tank. My setup would necessitate single stick
> >control for two RS540 motors with a draw of about 6Amps, peaking at about 9
> >for short (stall condition) periods. According to your writeup, it seems
> >taht this would fit the bill, but wanted to check with you first.
> >
> > Thanks.

Hope this answeres your questions.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Dmon1996

Oh, and I was told by others on this forum that the ebay posting ESC unit (http://cgi.ebay.com/R-C-Tank-Twin-Mo...item58841adc03 ) is not very good. The words told to me were "crappy" and "not worth it"....but I never bought one to try.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 PM
pflumitch

Good info there. I'm still up in the air for what to do with my DX for ESC's. I already have the Receiver but I'm not sure what those 380 motors can draw when pushing snow with a scale snowcat plow. Can you push the 10amps easily on the Dimension Engineering Sabertooth?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Dmon1996

ORIGINAL: pflumitch

Good info there. I'm still up in the air for what to do with my DX for ESC's. I already have the Receiver but I'm not sure what those 380 motors can draw when pushing snow with a scale snowcat plow. Can you push the 10amps easily on the Dimension Engineering Sabertooth?

From my own testing and from what I've read on this forum, stock 380's will not go over 4 amps in a stall situation. They free-wheel at about half an amp, and under load they don't break 2 amps. The favorite on this forum - the Graupner Speed 400 - can go up to 4 amps or more in a stall, but under load and running are under that. The Sabertooth rated for 10 amps per motor will surely run a pair of 380's for you with no issue. And if you are concerned, just put a fuse holder in one of the lines for each motor - put in a 7.5 amp fuse. This way, if you actually are able to dead-short the motor somehow, you are out a 50 cent fuse instead of an ESC.

But I suggest you test on your own. Most multimeters have the capability of measuring up to 10 amps on the unfused circuit. Just take a batery and go straight to the motor. Now put the two test leads in that loop off one motor contact and one battery contact. Polarity does not matter. Put a load on the motor while running. The highest is if you are actually able to grab that little gear hard enough to stop it. BTW, wear heavy old leather gloves - the spinning gear will flay and burn the skin right off your fingertips if you try with bare fingers! And don't use pliers - the inertia is enough to knock teeth off that gear!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:08 PM
drypipe

So I guess I'll stay away from the T-2000 on eBay if it is junk.

IF I decide to go with the Sabertooth 2X10RC, I should use what kind of battery instead of a 7.2V stick pack? Where do I purchase this battery that has a high enough voltage that will not go below 6v?? Also by using a 7.2v battery, I really do not want to over engineer with fuses in the motor loop.

OR...is the Hen Long RX18 Board the safest way to go for my Kyosho DX?

Drypipe.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Dmon1996

If you were starting fresh, I would recommend the upgrade kit from Mato. For $66, you get everything to run two 380's including the transmitter.

But you already have a radio- and to be blunt, a Futaba radio puts a Heng Long in the dust! I'd stay away from the eBay special and get the Dimension Engineering ESC for the 10amp rating. Maybe it's overkill, but it is only $5 more than the one rated for 5 amps. The RX 18 offers a lot of stuff you don't want- tank engine sounds, shooting, turret rotation, etc. I find that my 7.2 battery packs are at about 6 volts when they are "dead" so you would not get any brownouts.

But that's me. Either way will do the job for you.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 PM
v4impactor

hey guys, I am debating about selling my Blizzard DX. What would you estimate the value to be it comes with original body, plow, original tracks, original box, and a decal sheet thats never been opened.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 PM
drypipe

Thanks.
Sabertooth it is. Was it the 2X10RC that was rated at 10 amps?
I guess i'll keep the 7.2v battery setup since there will be no brown outs with the Sabertooth as you indicated.

Drypipe.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
drypipe

I have seen bids on eBay up to and including $1,000 on the DX models. I would start a bid around say... $600.00 to be on the safe side. You don't want to sell for anything less.
These models are considered to be a long term investment because their value goes up as the years pass!
I bet in five years from now a NIB Kyosho Blizzard Dx will be valued around $2,000!

I'm still debating to run or put my DX up for auction.

Drypipe.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
drypipe

Dmon1996,

That upgrade kit on Mato Toys, for $55.00. Is that the IR kit that has that RX18 controller board? Oh well, I had went out and purchased two Dynamite Tazer 15T escs @ $36.00 a piece at my LHS for the two motors on my Blizzard DX.

If I knew about this Hen Long upgrade kit, I would have invested the $55.00!

Drypipe.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:51 PM
v4impactor

Does anyone have a manual for the DX or know anywhere on the web that has a copy. I am tring to figure out why the connector on my battery plug is a female end and not a male end plug. LOL I cannot plug any battery packs into it since all my batterys have the same plug end. What is everyone else doing, running Deans?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:02 PM
drypipe

It is suppose to be female for the Tamyia style connector.
Each of my Tazer escs have a female Tamyia style connector. On the 7.2v battery stick, if you look inside the Tamyia connector mold, you will see two male pin leads. Now, on a Lipo battery, the connectors are Deans and they are FEMALE and the connectors on a Lipo esc are also Deans and they are Male. Just the opposite from the Tamyia connectors.
Do you have the two stock mechanical speed controllers? Just solder on either a Tamyia female connector or use Deans. For this application, I like to use the Tamyia connectors because they are easer to pull apart.

I like to know if there is a brass motor gear box combo upgrade out there somewhere, that can fit into a Blizzard DX like on the Hen Long tanks.

Drypipe.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
pflumitch

I have an original DX with manual in pretty good shape. I'll get pictures of it and post it later.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:34 PM
pflumitch

ORIGINAL: v4impactor

Does anyone have a manual for the DX or know anywhere on the web that has a copy.
Here is my DX Manual:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/RCsnowcats/...2516499/1/#new

Also, FYI the sabertooth will need a separate BEC if you need power any servos. The BEC in the sabertooth is only good for about .1 amp at 6 Volts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.