RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Clark electronics TK20 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11137871-clark-electronics-tk20.html)

Darryl Usher 07-06-2012 07:25 AM

RE: Clark electronics TK20

Did anyone look at the stick layouts on page three? Looks really strange.
Darryl Usher

YHR 07-06-2012 09:35 AM

Might be a little confusing on the battlefield if the stick set up stays that way. I suppose with programmable radio's and some selective servo channel allocation, you might be able to tailor it to something more user friendly.

tomhugill 07-06-2012 10:00 AM

I looks the same as slu in original form easy to change

Darryl Usher 07-06-2012 12:05 PM

I don't see how you would change the cannon elevation. This must mean the SLU is built by
Clark. Maybe if we asked him to change he would do Elmod sticks. Just like Tamiya but with
more options. Don't know about HL.
Darryl

FreakyDude 07-06-2012 12:46 PM

My biggest concern here is the support for the radios, IF you own a futuba or JR it would seem you are ok. To buy then then have to buy one of those radios kind of makes this option a very expensive one.<div>Like everything else we will have to wait till mid august to find out if this system is any good.</div>

AFV432 07-06-2012 02:27 PM

going to test it on some spectrums and planets in a week or two ;)
clark has assured me that 2.4ghz works just fine with his boards
after the lengthy discussions ive had with him on these boards im not doubting his word ;)

and before anyone asks no im not his cousin,nor am i his business partner lmao

and if you do a search for clark on this very forum you will also note i liked his 1/35 offerings and ive been pestering him to venture into 1/16th for a while now

Rob

AFV432 07-06-2012 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Darryl Usher

I don't see how you would change the cannon elevation. This must mean the SLU is built by
Clark. Maybe if we asked him to change he would do Elmod sticks. Just like Tamiya but with
more options. Don't know about HL.
Darryl
can you confirm the relationship with clark and the slu?

tomhugill 07-06-2012 02:44 PM

He just seems to be assuming based on similar control layouts. From a second look at the vid it's not 100% the same, the mg fire is like the Tamiya and the engine starts when the tx is turned on. It looks like its operating in a mode two (?) style. Looking at it you could easily assign movement to the right stick and other functions to the left.
<br type="_moz" />

Darryl Usher 07-06-2012 02:48 PM

No, I had ask a question of their slu tech and he said he didn't know. I thought that was strange.
When the Clark unit came out, a friend said look at the sticks, they are the same.
I don't think two people would design the same poor thing.
Darryl

AFV432 07-06-2012 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Darryl Usher

No, I had ask a question of their slu tech and he said he didn't know. I thought that was strange.
When the Clark unit came out, a friend said look at the sticks, they are the same.
I don't think two people would design the same poor thing.
Darryl
ahhh i see so your bemused lol
and not saying that clark designed the slu or vice versa

i still think you need to get one to try and get over your fear of sticks it'll do no good you knowhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Darryl Usher 07-06-2012 03:06 PM

Yes I know but I will try. It's small size is a plus. All four of my tanks run with one 2.4 TX.
Three are Tamiya and one Elmod, I would not use a different set up because it's cheaper.
Darryl

tomhugill 07-06-2012 03:29 PM

The only difference is using the select function with up or down and then increasing or decreasing with left and right. I have both Tamiya and slu systems and it's very easy to get used to!

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 07-07-2012 03:57 PM

Just when I thought I could narrow down my choices from 4 current offerings, between the SLU, DBC3+Benedini, IBU, &amp; Mako, I have to learn about the TK-20.
Wow, if it wasn't hard enough to make a decision for upgrading a HL tank already, this is yet another option to highly consider ... not a bad thing at all, but now my head is starting to hurt again! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bananahead.gif

The firing, turret, gun barrel, reload, hit &amp; death sounds are improvements over stock HL sounds from what I can tell from some videos showing off this TK-20 unit, but when I was looking at this one video of a running tank with the TK-20 in it (Driver Test, the first vid below), I figured the engine sounds (start-up, idle, running, shut-down) were still going to be the basic HL sounds, not really any excitement from that aspect. The engine sound didn't seem to really ramp up with throttle, no squeeking track sound, etc., just HL vanilla really.

TK20 sound module Driver Test
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAmBRGbz8JI[/youtube]

Then I was informed by a rep from Clark Model to watch the Elephant video for a better idea of the current engine sounds.

HB Elephant sound
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtBpp4G4AaI[/youtube]

Much better audio quality could be noticed in the second video, &amp; better sounding than a stock HL. But then he rumored even those are outdated sounds, as they are developing an even newer engine sound driver that will be a WOW to the market! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif So when the new TK-20 modules start shipping in force soon, expect to be WOWed even more by the new sounds too. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/49_49.gif The thing I'm not sure about ... the sounds might be much better, but do all the TK-20 have the same sounds like all RX-18 do, or do you order specific TK-20 for different models of tank. How many tank models for sound do they support ... etc???

I was also told that the TK-20 is programmable like their CSCII module (here), &amp; if so, to put it lightly, this upgrade seems absolutely fantastic with all the features for just a flat out $60 price-tag!

Seriously, a fully featured single card that completely replaces the RX-18 electronics, adds 2.4GHz Tx/Rx ability, tank classes with proportional reload times, slows movement for damage simulation, reduces the hit response judder &amp; recoil, replaces ALL the cheesy HL sounds with much better sounds ... &amp; all for about $60+ shipping? ... someone pinch me, I must be dreaming again! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../omg_smile.gif

~ Craig ~

Rebellion13 07-07-2012 04:31 PM

Pinch pinch

AFV432 07-07-2012 04:53 PM

the version one tk20 was good
version 2 which is the one being made available is much better and clark sure nows his stuff
just take a second to see what he does in 1/35 and yes you will be amazed

FreakyDude 07-07-2012 05:26 PM

all kinds of news about these boards but no real reviews? A couple videos taken in a guys garage by the look of them.<div>I have yet to see anything that has lived up to the promises made and I am seeing some pretty big promises being made here.</div><div>
</div><div>Don't take this the wrong way because I honestly hope the boards are as good as what is being said, if they are it will be a great thing for the hobby.</div><div>I see issues but I also see the possibilities.</div><div>
</div><div>AFV432 you have one of these boards so how about that review? too much sizzle and no steak so far</div>

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 07-08-2012 12:49 AM

Among all the various programmable options, I missed this one earlier when skimming through the descriptions, so for those interested, the TK-20 board also has the repair mode available for the primary weapon to make your Bergepanther or other repair vehicle or station too.

I realize there aren't many real world test videos or in-depth reviews from any long-time &amp; respected forum members or from any proven unbiased TK-20 owners just yet, but I believe all these optional cards started in similar fashion anyway ... with big dreams, a lot of hard work, &amp; some initial garage or home videos to show their potential to anyone who might be interested &amp; willing to try them out on mostly blind faith that they work as advertised. Since the board hasn't been publicly verified by enough users yet, it's understandable it would be met with some reserved skepticism on its true functionality.

Regardless, I cannot help myself right now ... with a $60 price range, the more I read over all the various programmable options on the CSCII page (which the TK-20 is supposed to have too), the more my interest grows for this board. Maybe they are everything as good as what the options seem to suggest they can be, maybe they aren't, but I certainly am leaning towards jumping in blind on these myself by getting a couple for my Panther G &amp; KV-1 HL tanks anyway. Just need to find out when the newer version will be available as well as how to order them.

~ Craig ~

tomhugill 07-08-2012 01:07 AM

For the doubters:
http://www.youtube.com/user/devil8393
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/devil8393">

<br type="_moz" />
</a>

Rebellion13 07-08-2012 07:54 AM

I wasn't a doubter, but I watched it anyway. Looks promising. And if the price tag remains as stated or close to it, here is one more viable option.

Cheers
Wade

Panther G 07-08-2012 02:40 PM

Well, from what i have seen it is the same old multi stepped sound used in every other system other than El-Mod and the DBC3 with the Benedinni system. I preffer a system where you can actually load your own true engine and cannon sounds. These are a great improvement over the standard HL offering but i really like the DBC3 the more I see and use it. No it is not a low buck solution but i am not looking for one. Most of my tanks are set up with Tamiya systems and there is no low buck about that.<div> What I would say was the most desirable system is one that gives you the abillity to add your own sounds which ever system that may be for any given hobbiest.</div>

Rebellion13 07-08-2012 03:21 PM

I agree, when I was deciding on a system I took price into account. But after its all said and done it does play a part, just not a significant one anymore, for me that is. The dbc/benedini sounds great, and I want my tanks to sound realistic. Not saying this system won't, but I have to agree with "G" on this. Just my opinion though.

Cheers
Wade

borealis 07-08-2012 10:36 PM

I wonder if Clark did use a repair mode compatible with the IBU and the Mako, since a different IR pattern would act against the diffusion of such a cool feature.

I want to recall that the IBU IR repair code is available for free to everybody requesting it.

B.A.D.A.S.S.Force 08-22-2012 09:11 AM

Well, I received notice the other day that Clark is expected to be ready to start shipping the newest version of the TK-20 boards some time late next week, or 1st week September.

He again quoted me the price of the board itself was still going to be $60, with a shipping cost to the USA of $4 to $5.

~ Craig ~

mustclime 08-22-2012 09:35 AM

Very interesting, I am looking for something to run my E100 project and am not looking forward to paying 500 for all the bulletproof tamiya stuff.....I do not care about a smoker but I do not want glitches I still see with the rx18 stuff....I wish there was a better option that did not cost an arm an and a leg.

YHR 08-22-2012 10:53 AM

What are the glitchs I am hearing about with the RX18??? Please elaborate.

The cost of this unit is unbelievably low. I will be interested if they can actually be sold and serviced for this cost. How do you get shipping to the USA for $4.00?? Are they subsidizing the shipping out of the already low $60 retail cost???

When are these available?.