Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:33 AM
hjtrbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

ORIGINAL: coalminer

I keep threatening to try one of those 2 speeders, but too many bad reports on here put me off.Poor gear changing and broken rear diffs sounds .........not good !

Hell yeah whats with the rear diffs in these things man![:@] Personally I have no issues with the transmission itself. I got some crisp F1 style gearchanges going on and the downshift back to first when off the gas cracks me up.

Tamiya clearly had the issue with the original spur gears and they fixed that which is great for the rest of us. How about they fix our diffs.

My one sheared the M2.6mm screws off at the ring gear. So even going to the alloy case that are available on E Bay I don't think will help as the weakness appears to be in the socketheads. I figure if you can get the alloy case off e bay and carefully tap out the threads to 3mm, and likewise drill out the ring gear bolt holes to allow the larger socketheads, then I think the problem will be solved. The only issue with modifying the alloy case at this stage without seeing one is the amount of wall thickness that would be left over after the threads have been tapped to 3mm.

Food for thought.

Anyone else snapped their rear diff and found a soloution, or a band aid???
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 PM
tom.79

I was going to put in 2 speed but quite a few of my mates have had nothing but problems i opted for the front disk brake,front and rear sway bars which im still waiting on,front and rear universal joints,thunder tiger 3 chmaber tuned pipe EFRA 2039,I'm also running the proline velocity 6 40 series rims with prolines 40 series crimefighters must say handling improved greatly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97927.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1113814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78227.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1113815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92092.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1113816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75739.jpg
Views:	41
ID:	1113817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77508.jpg
Views:	49
ID:	1113818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62373.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1113819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44374.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1113820  
Old 01-19-2009, 05:21 AM
tom.79

Hi there i would try leaning it out a little usually that means they are running a little rich my nitrage is comming along quite well have just fitted the thunder tiger 3 chamber tuned pipe,front disk brake assembly,front and rear universal joints (still waiting for them),front and rear sway bars,proline 40 series crimefighter tyres mounted on proline velocity 6 40 series crome wheels.

Name:	Jh16306.jpg
Views:	39
ID:	1114240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70409.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1114241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31730.jpg
Views:	36
ID:	1114242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17301.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1114243  
Old 01-20-2009, 05:44 PM
tom.79

Hi there I used prolines chrome velocity 6 40 series wheels which bolt straight onto the tamiya 14mm hexes and I mounted the proline crimefighter series 40 tyres on the rims improved the handling significantly.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
hjtrbo

Can't believe it. You know the hand held electric handy starter, the POS decided to strip one of its gears. Amazing. Warranty!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
hjtrbo

ORIGINAL: tom.79

Hi there mate i noticed your running different axle setup on your nitrage 5.2 i was wondering if you could share your secret and help me out with what parts you used to convert it to the 17mm hex i would appreicate any assistance you can offer me i have been in hobby stores in melbourne but no one wants to help.
You need the savage 17mm hex. Available for a pitance from Sydney. [link=http://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/Shop/productList.aspx?search=86925&type=1&group=-1]Front Line Hobbies[/link]

Whats with the Melbourne hobby store workers these days? I find them all very un helpful and basically just don't want to get involved. I know the wages are *****, but c'mon, you have to think of the customer. Without us your working at Macdonalds for even less! I asked my regular one if I could pull a savage out of the box and take a wheel off to check the hex would work and he told me its to risky, we might damage the truck. Clueless I thought. So I offered to swipe the credit card as security while I was doing it, nope, still didn't want to do it. "Ok, i'll buy it" I said, on the condition I can bring it back in 10 minutes for a refund! Of course he said no. What a dick. Just to take a wheel off! And while i'm still ranting, I asked a different guy if the TNX Hi-Cap dampers would fit (this is before I gained some experience and knowledge) and I was told that the're not compatible because they were for a TNX. Duh, no ***** sherlock. (Still on backorder, can't wait for them to turn up) Unreal, now I just shop online, I know the parts I want and I dont have to deal with knobs. Melbourne Metro Hobbies was the store.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
tom.79

Yeah i hear ya loud and clear mate things have really changed over the past years i have plenty of experience with losi associated and schumacer mainly electric though the whole gas field is new to me but im learning the curve ball quite well but the hobby stores i have come across in melbourne have just been down right rude,half of them dont even know what their talking about and the ones that do dont want to give you the time of day
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 AM
keRRieXXX

Hello,

I have a question:
I bought the 2 speed gearbox and with the mechanism that changes the gear, I stripped and put the grub screw in skew. Will it be possible to get just that part or would I need to buy a whole new set?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Nitrager

what's up,
I have to say i have a nitrage and I love how they run. I will post some pic's soon. I take my truck to the local bmx bike track and it holds up great, better than my revo. broke my gas tank 2 times then i found out i had the gas tank screws on the posts to tight loosend them up and no more problems. if you don't have the rear brake kit you need to get it. I deal with jason's store off of ebay, he is the man when it comes to parts.

feel free to contact me if you have any problems
Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
hjtrbo

ORIGINAL: keRRieXXX

Hello,

I have a question:
I bought the 2 speed gearbox and with the mechanism that changes the gear, I stripped and put the grub screw in skew. Will it be possible to get just that part or would I need to buy a whole new set?

You will have to buy a whole new kit. Mate, you might get lucky and be able to save your existing one. Try and remove the old grub screw, it may be neccessary to use a different hex head or torque bit etc. and smack it in there to act like a screw extractor. If you can get it out, go buy a 4mm tap (think thats the grub screw size) grind the tapered end off, and carefully wind in a new thread. Be very careful you don't wind down to far, theres that pin in there remember. Go to the engineering hardware store and pick yourself up a grub screw and start again. If your successful the thread in the housing won't be as good as it was so just use some strong loctitie. But not to much you'll foul up your spring!

Give it a go mate, you've allready fu%cked it so you got nothing to lose. $5 versus $80?????
Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 AM
keRRieXXX

Thanks for the advise. I am gonna give it a try.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Nitrager

just want you to know that jason's store is a great place to buy nitrage parts. he's on ebay and he ships very fast i normaly get my parts in 3 day's most time. the nitrage is built tough so you wont break much. i broke my gas tank and my lower control arm, if you saw how i did it you would be surprised that is all i broke.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:24 PM
coalminer

ORIGINAL: Nitrager

just want you to know that jason's store is a great place to buy nitrage parts. he's on ebay and he ships very fast i normaly get my parts in 3 day's most time. the nitrage is built tough so you wont break much. i broke my gas tank and my lower control arm, if you saw how i did it you would be surprised that is all i broke.

Totally agree with Nitrager. Jason's store on ebay, Japan is first class. Fast shipping and at the right price....try him
Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 PM
hjtrbo

ORIGINAL: coalminer

ORIGINAL: Nitrager

Totally agree with Nitrager. Jason's store on ebay, Japan is first class. Fast shipping and at the right price....try him
Link??? Couldn't find it using 'Jason' as the search string
Old 01-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Nitrager

get on ebay and look up nitrage then look for jason's store he has some if not let me know i have an extra one
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
coalminer

Its been quiet on here for a while, are you all hibernating ??

Had a chance last week to run "The General and his son". Not ran for 5 months, have recently fitted the OFNA Mutilator pipes to the Nitrages and can honestly say they DO perform good. Top speed is achieved quickly and throttle response is immediate.Been able to do some great jumps for the first time ever, but I did burn a clutch and a collet (but I think the clutch was getting ready anyway). Its fixed now though and were ready to go again.
Any one have any good pictures ?

Name:	Hf97725.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1150505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49487.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1150506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88961.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1150507  
Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM
sabelan

bought my nitrage rtr about a month ago. i had not touched a rc car in over 10 years and even back then i was into electrics not nitro so this is a whole new world for me. i love this truck! added the front brake kit already and have ordered the 2 speed tranny as well as a nove race pro cooling head (should be here in a week or 2). as far as having front and rear brakes goes..... stopping is dramaticly improved but using brakes to lock up the rear end for power turns is no longer an option. guess every gain has it's sacrifice. i plan on adding all the hop ups i can over the next month or 2 to get her ready for the summer. universal drive shafts, stabilizers and a K&N air filter are getting ordered next week. i'll put some pics up once my new cooling head is installed.

as far as sourcing out parts i use www.vellrip.com (normally 12-14 days to ship to canada) and ebay.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:08 PM
aaronlb

Just waking up from hibernation here in the northeast and had my Nitrage out for the first time. WOW this truck is great! The only things I changed so far are the tyers and rims but I am looking for an aftermarket body thats a direct fit? I don't like to mess around too much with trial and error, cutting something up to make it fit (I'm still fairly new to this). I was looking at Pro-Line and Parma but neither lists a body for the nitrage. Any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM
plopes

Hi, need advice.

Can i fit the optional centre one way/diff lock shaft on a nitrage which has
the 2 speed tranny fitted.
If so, what is the benefit?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:52 AM
rcpowerhorse

no you cant it's one or the other.
but the 2 speed does the same job of locking the center gearbox
Old 04-23-2009, 01:30 AM
coalminer

Does any one have their centre gearbox locked ? Does it have any advantage and more importantly , does it throw more undue load onto the front or rear diff's to cause premature failure ?... just interested to know if any one has had any prob's
Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 AM
etopsflight

wow, not been here in ages! nice to see the die hard Nitrage fans still here! i had my nitrage out the other day for a bash and ended the session with the engine reving and no power to the wheels. either i have shredded the centre gear, the clutch shoes have given up or the diff cups grub screws have come loose again. busy at the moment so dun know when i can get round to fixing the problem! [:@]
Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
coalminer

Got me some new Traxxas wheels n tyres. Dropped the ride height lower and stiffened the suspension with TNX shox.
Not sure what the out come will be .

Name:	Ig13440.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1189174  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 AM
Valdeck

Hey all,

I just saw this car tonight and while I already probably have to many RC cars lol I cant help but want to get one of these. Its right up my alley so hopefully I will be able get one some how any recommendations for where I can find a place to buy one from? I am in the states.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:29 PM
jowbe

I got mine on e-bay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.