Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 AM
coolink13
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

I have question?? I have been doing some research on The Tamiya Nitrage. I have read the problems. But I found one online for 229.00 shipped brand new. I was thinking on converting it to mamba monster 1/8 2200kv conversion. I was thinking of selling all the nitro parts off of it. Is this a good basher? I know tamiya parts are extremely hard to come buy. That is a deterrent. i also Have a TNX which I love. The price is right for the Truggy. The only thing I will need is a motor mount which I found on ebay for 67.00 and the esc which is around 250.00 Any advise or info or opinions would be GREAT! Thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 07:27 PM
jowbe

I have been looking to do the same with my nitrage, if you could be so kind to pass me all the info you have regarding the conversion, and the parts you found on e-bay I will be forever thankful. The nitrage is a great car, I personally never had any problem with it, and I have been a loyal Tamiya fan for years.

Thank you in advance,

Jowbe
Old 04-18-2010, 07:51 PM
coolink13

Jowbe Here is the link. 1/8th scale Brushless .21 ELECTRIC POWER CONVERSION I'm not sure if it will work. A castle 2200KV motor maybe too long? Let me know what you think because You actually have one. Do you think the savage flux boxes could be modified to fit the sides of your chassis? What do think of the 229.00 price for a new nitrage?
I successfully converted a TNX. Smashed it into a Pontiac G6 the other day because I lost signal and it took off. Broke the left upper arm and a post bolt.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM
coolink13

Jowbe I guess the link did not work. Try to Type 1/8th scale Brushless .21 ELECTRIC POWER CONVERSION for a ebay search. Hope that works.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
jowbe

229 is a great price for a Nitrage. I am not sure about the modifications yet, since I did not checked how the conversion can happen for the moment. I will investigate this tomorrow, and i will let you know.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Ive had my Nitrage for about 2 wks and 8 tanks Im having a blast. It has the stabilizer set, front brake kit and 2 speed but the 2spd is not installed yet.

I took those pics before I ran it for the first time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76116.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1432511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68157.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1432512  
Old 05-07-2010, 05:20 PM
iexion

Cant wait for mine
Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Deadman Court

ORIGINAL: The Collector1

Ive had my Nitrage for about 2 wks and 8 tanks Im having a blast. It has the stabilizer set, front brake kit and 2 speed but the 2spd is not installed yet.

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MOUNT THOSE WHEELS TO THE 14MM HUB!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 AM
hjtrbo

ORIGINAL: Deadman Court

ORIGINAL: The Collector1

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MOUNT THOSE WHEELS TO THE 14MM HUB!

Scroll back a page or two, all the details are there.

Well, stripped another set of diff gears so that's it. Death to the nitrage! I should have put in a .21. Bugger it, i've ordered a rolling chassis Savage.

Strong chassis, **** local spare part's support, a weak drive train and average handling sum up my experience with this model.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:38 PM
coolink13

Well 229.00 is Great price!!! Brand new shipped! But I guess that's what makes it some what worth while for a purchase because of the limited parts and used parts support. There is many more to choose from old and new that have better support. Lets face it, something will eventually break. If it cant be replaced then its worthless. I was thinking of converting the Nitrage. But I think I will stay away from this one. maybe convert a Losi Muggy next after I finish my Hotbodies stadium pro conversion.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:27 PM
The Collector1

I think part of the drive train problem comes from the heavy monster wheels and tires, they feel like it adds a pound of rotating mass to the drive train, coupled with the heavy powerful 32 and that strange diff setup, I guess something has to give.

Ive read up on the problems that the Nitrage has but I couldnt pass that price, I just took some precautions to see if I could keep it running longer
Old 05-08-2010, 05:33 PM
The Collector1

I also got some extra parts just in case like my 2spd is built in a totaly new tranny case so I have an extra center diff, I need a set of arms just for that just in case
Old 05-08-2010, 05:59 PM
coolink13

Yeah I agree That Price is very tempting. At the moment I staying away from nitro. I'm into the brush-less right now. Plus I have many vehicles more nitro as of today. If I was doing the nitro thing like I ounce was I would buy the Nitrage. I have a TNX that I converted to brush-less. Again 229.00 shipped with no tax name brand. Its a no brainer. It was over 400.00 and still can be found for that price but probably not selling. I never saw one in real life. Can a brush-less set up be installed??
Old 05-08-2010, 06:30 PM
The Collector1

I think it can but you would need a universal kit and some modifying to do it but I wont do it to this, Im getting a 801T to do the brushless thing
Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 AM
The Collector1

Has anybody ever had trouble with the electronics in the Nitrage? Today my servos were glitching like crazy so I swapped them out for my trusty 2.4 3PK and Rx
Old 05-22-2010, 03:23 PM
coalminer

Hi Collector1

Yes I once had trouble with servo's glitching on one of my Nitrages, the steering and throttle was doing what it wanted, initially I thought it would be the receiver module in the car that was at fault , but it turned out to be just the receiver crystal, I obtained a new pair of crystals and the problem was solved.

Coalminer
Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
yates42

Hey does anyone have a extra chassis. Please let me know.
Thanks,
STRInd
Old 06-13-2010, 02:33 PM
The Collector1

Its hard to find a used one, Im looking for one as a backup just in case, here is the link for a new one
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=4004043
Old 06-16-2010, 02:15 AM
happyacqua

look on ebay, there is a guy taking apart a NITRAGE and sells it, if you do not see it now just wait and the guy will post it up again or just ask him, if you can wait.

go to www.ebay.com and search member trcparts or just type in nitrage i got a few back up parts from this guy, front lower arm and rear upper arm and shocks..
i hope this helps
Old 06-16-2010, 07:53 PM
happyacqua

i am new to this site
i brought my nitrage few month ago and had a blast playing around in parking lots beachs parks almost everywhere i go in my day off from work.

i have a few questions

1. did anyone upgrade there servo? i am thinking upgrade the servo to FUTABA to S3305, it require to work with NI-CD batteries only, i am wondering waht is the difference between regular batteries and rechargeable batteries? will the servo wrok fine the regular batteries or i have to use rechargeable ones. (i have tons of AA batteries in my tool box)

2. what is the fluid level inside the center differential? should it be half full, quarter, one third or just noticeable the fluid is there?
because my center differential oil level  is just noticeable its there. time to add some???

3. where can i get a rolling cage that fits the nitrage, ( my nitrage loves to jump)

thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 AM
secretsg

1. Disregard the nicd battery only warning. It's a left over message from way back in the day. You can not use rechargeable AAs since they are 1.2v vs 1.5v of the alkalines. .(ie 4.8v vs 6v) The rechargable receiver packs are 5 cells instead of 4.

2. Fluid should be 80% full before you put the ring gear back onto the diff case. This ensures no over flow. I would recommend minimum 30K center diff oil for the nitrage. While you are at it. put some AW grease on the pin where it connects to the spur.

3. No such thing. You'd have to make one or have someone fabricate one for you.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 PM
happyacqua

my friend and i were blasting around in my local beach, right at about 2nd tank of gas, my friend's nitrage just stop, no compression, took the engine apart, found a big hole in the piston.....he'll need to replace the engine or something.... have no idea how that happen... feel bad just having all the fun myself....
Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 PM
happyacqua

oh thanks very much for the info....put the servo in and work alot better
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 AM
Burton 22

Hello,

I´d like to change steering servo on my Nitrage. Is the Hitec HS-985MG suitable servo ? I have the classic RTR transmitter and 6V 5-cell batteries.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
hooligan4hire

It seems the the Nitrage doesnt get a lot of love? I have owned one now for about a month and have upgraded a few minor things like springs and sway bars. Break in went well I still run a bit rich but I am not trying to kill the damn thing either. I mounted a high def camera to the wing and it has provided some hillarious and awesome videos. It has taken a few crashes but nothing yet has broken. Guess I need to jump it higher. I see the odd complaint with the plastic/nylon gears being a weak point but would someone rather replace a 6 dollar nylon gear or a 50 dollar transmission. The nitrage doesnt seem like a horrible rig but in comparison to others its a cheap rig for entry level guys looking for simple almost hassle free operation. I have a cen 7.7 that requires constant attention to tuning and for that reason it has collected more dust than any other model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.