Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM P-51B vs Model Tech P-51B

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM P-51B vs Model Tech P-51B

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ESM P-51B vs Model Tech P-51B

Alanc - I found the Model Tech P51B at Hobby People and Hobby Shack - they seem to have the same prices so maybe these two places have the same owners? Right now they are selling them for $199.00 or so on sale.

Ed
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went on hobby people and they don't show it, on hobby shack they list it but no pic is available, just wanted to see what this model looked like. Any other sources available ?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Whistling Death

[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/p-51b-mustang-old-crow-91-120-size-arf.html]Hobby People[/link]
Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 AM
rebranger

I bought one from Hobby People ($199, + $25 shipping); kinda disappointed, but you get what you pay for; wish I had seen the AK Models one @ $189, it's a 140 size!!!
building it now; and ya'll are correct. It's too small for a gasser, (23 cc RCGF), one could make it work, but it would butcher the firewall & cowl. so I' going to put a 100 Saito in it that I have laying around.  It's not "retract ready", there's no mounting block or provision for a retract servo. One would have to use air. I might try the Hobby KIng electric retracts in it. Anybody tried them yet?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rebranger

I bought one from Hobby People ($199, + $25 shipping); kinda disappointed, but you get what you pay for; wish I had seen the AK Models one @ $189, it's a 140 size!!!
building it now; and ya'll are correct. It's too small for a gasser, (23 cc RCGF), one could make it work, but it would butcher the firewall & cowl. so I' going to put a 100 Saito in it that I have laying around. It's not ''retract ready'', there's no mounting block or provision for a retract servo. One would have to use air. I might try the Hobby KIng electric retracts in it. Anybody tried them yet?
I bought a mustang from AK before - not the one you are talking about but a 60 size - and it was made from very poor wood. I worked on it some to try to beef it up but I never was satisfied that it would survive in the air for long. You can only get to a limited amount ofany plane to reinforce it and I eventually threw it in the trash - didn't want to waste any more time/effort on it.

I also had a Model Tech mustang back about 10 years ago - it was much better built.

So I think you probably got a much better built plane.

I appreciate what you are saying about the retracts. Have you looked at the E-Flite and the Lado/Magnum electric retracts? They are a bit more but seem to be reliable - just a suggestion.

By the way - could you please measure the overall width of the firewall and post it here? Thanks.

Ed
Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 AM
rebranger

Will measure firewall & take pics today,
no doubt that Lado's are the way to go, but I'm chomping at the bit to try the e-flight electrics!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 AM
holtman

Hi guys, just on the DLE 20 I think it would be a great engine for the ems range. It puts ouy 2.5 HP and 14 to 15 lbs thrust. Puts out the same power as a saito 150 and more than most 26cc gases. I think this would be excellent for the EMSrange of warbirds as it has a lower profile and its gas. On most inline engined planes the 30 would destroy the cowl and scale look of the plane.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:30 AM
lean-run

Hi,

I know this is an old thread.

Have found a HS that has a Model-tech P-51B "Old Crow". Sounds like one described, 66" span. Looks like it has a "Malcolm Hood" type canopy.

Seems like these have been discontinued for a while, but have always liked the "B" model. Doesn't seem to be to be many advertised.

Just wondering if anyone flying one now, or in the past . Any opinions on airframe strength to handle a 20cc gas motor.

Know this is a "blast from the past", might never find another one. Any leads to other P-51B suitable for 20cc gas being manufactured appreciated..