Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

War Birds at the Toledo Show

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

War Birds at the Toledo Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: War Birds at the Toledo Show

ORIGINAL: bigphil

Yes I spoke to him as well. Nice fellow and justifyably proud of his plane. The detail on it was amazing. I'm not familiar with the judging requirements at Toledo, I thought it was primarily a beauty contest. That plane was a BEAUTY. No hanger queen either, there was video of it flying!

I've always loved the Albatros but I haven't been able to part with the kind of cash they want for the Proctor kits. Balsa USA has one in the works, I'm waiting to see what they come up with.
It is deceiving, because there is a mix of scale and other categories. As for aircraft, 'designer scale', and 'sport military scale', are judged using documentation, 'jets', is really a beauty contest, as is 'sport' planes. If a guy wants his military jet judged according to his docs, he enters it in the 'sport military' class, even though it is a jet, as Greame did with his F-16 last year.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 AM
bfair67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Phil

I was told that my plane wasn't judged because of the lack of documentation, it seems you have to write them a book report ( BS ). By the way mine was the P-47 ( Arkansas Traveler/ Mud N' Mules)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28505.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	1590511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28711.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	1590512  
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks like I missed quite a few planes by going early Friday, sure didn't mis the crowded conditions, Those Display tables were half empty most of the day..
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't see your P-47, can you post some pics or e-mail me some ?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes documentation is required.. but I'm not sure why? They don't turn the planes etc. so if you have a table spot that's less than ideal for viewing how do they judge it?

Most people I know that have competed don't get a score sheet etc. so you never know what's not "right" about your plane.

Greg Hahn told me that one year he didn't place at all with his plane only to get top static a few weeks later at Top Gun.. go figure! lol
Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 AM
stephanmk1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello Gary!!

Want to know if this spitfire is a ziroli design?... she looks real scale to me!!

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96382.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	1590534  
Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 AM
bigphil
My Feedback: (6)

Bfair,
Your 47 is one sweet ride too! Too bad about the judging.

I've never attempted to enter anything but I guess some research on the specific criteria for each class would be prudent if I ever decided to. Or maybe a few carefully placed pieces of US currency would make it happen...

Just kidding! Don't go all psycho on me.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Looks like I missed quite a few planes by going early Friday, sure didn't mis the crowded conditions, Those Display tables were half empty most of the day..
We would have been there by 8:30 am Friday, but as we were driving across the turn pike, and less than an hour out, my brother exclaimed OH $%^&#@!!!!!!! I asked what the heck was the matter. He said........I FORGOT THE PROP!!!!!!!!!...........Well, it was another 16 miles till we could turn around. All the way back home to get the darn prop.

We were a little tardy Friday.

Gary / Zombie
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: bfair67

Hey Phil

I was told that my plane wasn't judged because of the lack of documentation, it seems you have to write them a book report ( BS ). By the way mine was the P-47 ( Arkansas Traveler/ Mud N' Mules)
Good three views, color docs, and up to 8 pages in all of whatever you want to highlight. Standard stuff really. Looking forward to seeing your work next year.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: BobH

Yes documentation is required.. but I'm not sure why? They don't turn the planes etc. so if you have a table spot that's less than ideal for viewing how do they judge it?

Most people I know that have competed don't get a score sheet etc. so you never know what's not ''right'' about your plane.

Greg Hahn told me that one year he didn't place at all with his plane only to get top static a few weeks later at Top Gun.. go figure! lol
No score sheets handed out, but I always talk to the judges in person afterwards. They are all nice guys and very forthcoming with how they viewed the planes they judged.

In fact Bob has the worlds largest commercial scale documentation business. www.bobsairdoc.com He advertises in most of the magazines we read. His CD catalog, (I picked one up at the show), has 39,000 pages of 3-views alone, and he has in all 8,200 packs listed, containing about 500,000 photos. Also on the CD is 10 articles on scale building, written by leading builders in the field. He is one of the judges, and does a very good seminar on scale judging. Worth your time to attend if you want to get into a judges head a little.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:45 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: stephanmk1

Hello Gary!!

Want to know if this spitfire is a ziroli design?... she looks real scale to me!!

Thank you!
I think it is the Pica. I took a picture of the name tag. I'll look.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: NoFlaps

I didn't see your P-47, can you post some pics or e-mail me some ?
Which one?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Good three views, color docs, and up to 8 pages in all of whatever you want to highlight. Standard stuff really.
and this is for the benefit of who? the judges? sometimes the best one can find is a couple b/w photos &
a couple of paragraphs of the subject. hate to think one would loose becouse of lack of color photo's & documents
on 65+ year old aircraft on a otherwise flawless replica. mabey they need more qualified judges with a broader
understanding of all aircraft.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:28 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Ram stated this all is pretty standard stuff at competition level. If one pic is all that is provided and this does not fulfill the stated or implied needs then it will not do well no matter how great your model is.

Fair.

Not really, but it's the standard. In the long run it keeps everyone on an even field.

If you wanna play, you have to play by their rules

That why it's very important if you want to compete to pick your subject matter carefully.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:32 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Experten109/40

Good three views, color docs, and up to 8 pages in all of whatever you want to highlight. Standard stuff really.
and this is for the benefit of who? the judges? sometimes the best one can find is a couple b/w photos &
a couple of paragraphs of the subject. hate to think one would loose becouse of lack of color photo's & documents
on 65+ year old aircraft on a otherwise flawless replica. mabey they need more qualified judges with a broader
How can you tell it is a "flawless replica" without documentation? No judge is an expert on every aircraft produced. The good judges rely on the documentation you give them, and then judge how close you come to replicating or simulating it. That is why it is important to document what you do and do what you document or show.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Experten109/40

ORIGINAL: glazier808

As Ram stated this all is pretty standard stuff at competition level. If one pic is all that is provided and this does not fulfill the stated or implied needs then it will not do well no matter how great your model is.

Fair.

Not really, but it's the standard. In the long run it keeps everyone on an even field.

what a pity. theres so many rare birds out there that can't be showcased @ a profesional level according to the rules.
yup... a pity.

Ram nice pics BTW.. anybody have anymore of the Albatross???
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 AM
ram3500-RCU

Fair.

That why it's very important if you want to compete to pick your subject matter carefully.
This is so true. Although we are passionate about Zombie, it isn't the best choice for competition. Only one very grainy B&W photo of her exists. Documenting her is a huge challenge.

Also, duplicating a restored or museum aircraft is much easier, as heavy weathering and wear are usually not visible. A whole level of surface detail is eliminated.

Now, that isn't our cup of tea, so we shoot ourselves in the foot on the competition level, but so be it. We will continue to produce war birds that look like they just came back from a sortie.

Next year, it will be a different war bird, but still the same goal in the final appearance (with documentation)
Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Experten109/40

How can you tell it is a "flawless replica" without documentation? No judge is an expert on every aircraft produced. The good judges rely on the documentation you give them, and then judge how close you come to replicating or simulating it. That is why it is important to document what you do and do what you document or show.
good point. thanks for the correction. my point was, if an aircraft is say decked out in RLM 74,75, & 76,
and theres no color photo to back it up ( although it is the correct colors{ very common knowledge} ) I
would hate to loose points based on that. thanks again.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM
ram3500-RCU

Fair.

what a pity. theres so many rare birds out there that can't be showcased @ a profesional level according to the rules.
yup... a pity.

I would say that I deeply enjoy seeing these masterpieces at events and shows. Whether they win prizes or not, they still are labors of love by their builders and receive all the attention they deserve by those attending, and other modelers, as all these entries at the Toledo Show did. Hundreds of people shake your hand and compliment you on your work. I saw virtually every builder answering questions about their creations as I looked down the line.

Bottom line is, if you intend to seriously compete, you can't ignor the issue of the documentation, and it has to be brought into the building process very early, not as a mere afterthought at the end.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

I think they were all excellent ( not an expert ). But the AT-6 blew me away!

Chris923
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Experten109/40

Fair.

yup... a pity.

I would say that I deeply enjoy seeing these masterpieces at events and shows. Whether they win prizes or not, they still are labors of love by their builders and receive all the attention they deserve by those attending, and other modelers, as all these entries at the Toledo Show did. Hundreds of people shake your hand and compliment you on your work. I saw virtually every builder answering questions about their creations as I looked down the line.

Bottom line is, if you intend to seriously compete, you can't ignor the issue of the documentation, and it has to be brought into the building process very early, not as a mere afterthought at the end.
that is my problem here.. plenty of b/w pics, no color photos. oh well, not gonna change my mind now lol
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM
ram3500-RCU

Fair.

yup... a pity.

that is my problem here.. plenty of b/w pics, no color photos. oh well, not gonna change my mind now lol
You can state in writing the colors. Dave Platt does it all the time. They can't dispute what they can't see.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Experten109/40

Roger that. 8 b/w photos per pagew/ detailed explanations,+ 1 color profile Drawing = I'm now
playing by the rules. you just made my year Gary. thanks a bunch!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

We would have been there by 8:30 am Friday, but as we were driving across the turn pike, and less than an hour out, my brother exclaimed OH $%^&#@!!!!!!! I asked what the heck was the matter. He said........I FORGOT THE PROP!!!!!!!!!...........Well, it was another 16 miles till we could turn around. All the way back home to get the darn prop.

We were a little tardy Friday.

Gary / Zombie
I said hi to you as you were just setting up,, you told me the prop story,,, I kinda though you may not have recognized me. I wish I was able to stay longer and shoot the breeze, but I had to run,,

BTW,
The Date for the Warbird Fly in in Grafton is Aug. 27,,,
I may not be able to be there, Wife has Vacation that week
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a delicate balance between what you have for documentation, and what you present them with. All to meet what they need.

i.e. Prepair your own paint chips, they only have what you have given them...i.e. The paint chips you've provided, so your plane should match your paint chips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.