Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Flight-Model KI-61 ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Flight-Model KI-61 ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:50 AM
eyadoo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello
I am building 1/5 ki-61 from a plan
can you help me where i can find a canopy for this size
Old 12-17-2013, 10:05 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have to form your own canopy or try to find a source for an aftermarket Royal/Marutaka mfg Ki-61 canopy. There was a source here in the states for a long time, but I have been unsuccessful in getting a reply to any emails sent to him re; a couple of canopies for my projects.

If you do find a source please post here as I would like a couple myself.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:57 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had gear problems. The gear Spring Airs, would just fold, one or the other while on the ground. Couldn't duplicate, switched to on Spring Air retracts. Same problem. Finally decided the wing was flexing and just wrong with a little side load and gear folded. Removed all gear mount and rebuild a stronger stiffer mount. No more collapses so I guess theory was correct. In addition, a member who lives 3/4 of mile from field said he alway knew when I was flying the Tony, he could hear it. Now the straight pipe was LOUD. The baffle quieted down a little, but I decided not enough. I had a J-Tec pitts muffler for a RCGF 15 I was not using. A little moto tool work on the holes that didn't quit line up and installed. Muffler fits mostly inside cowl, so made a new bottom to cowl with larger holes in front and rear exit and cowl flap. Engine still turns the 16-8 three blade 7,800 rpm. Had to richen up quit a bit. Flew ok. No over heating that I could tell and is much quieter. We don't want to disturb the neighbors too much. Here are some pictures to prove plane still exist.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1889.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	667.1 KB
ID:	2050888   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1890.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	595.0 KB
ID:	2050889   Click image for larger version

Name:	KI 61 Const. 035.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2050890  
Old 11-29-2014, 06:33 PM
frets24

Nice to see it is still around, Bean. Good to hear that you have all the bugs worked out.

I wish someone would import this again or that Hobby King would restock. would love to have a spare and another to build to lighten up and tweak what I did the first time 'round. I would pull a plug from the whole top cover and make it a two piece with a correction to the canopy lines and profile. Still one of my all time fave WWII fighters.

Talked with the mfg last year to order direct...not too terrible, even with shipping. placed the order for three (one for a friend) and provided the CC billing info....no charge, no replies, no news...no planes. Could be worse; could've been charged and THEN never see the planes.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:13 PM
dogshome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good RBean.

Mine is still fine. RCGF 15cc is mostly WOT from takeoff until approach. I'm on a 14*7 2 blade and with the RCGF Pitts muffler with baffles added, It's still a bit noisy for where I fly (mainly because it's flat out all the time!).

My DLE20 is on the shelf at the moment ....
Old 12-01-2014, 03:04 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We had a early snow but it was mostly gone from the field today. Wind was light down the runway. Took the Tony out to further test my new muffler and cowl modifications. Had three uneventful flights with no evidence of overheating. It was 57 degrees F so we will see what happens this spring when it warms up.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:04 PM
limodune

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a bit of luck and found one of these brand new in the box still rapped up at a good price, had a good read of this thread and will do similar modes to make it more scale like as others have done and finish off with a new paint scheme, will build it with E power and E retracts, looking forward to the build, should make a good flying buddy with my CMP Zero

Mike

Last edited by limodune; 09-30-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:20 PM
frets24

Originally Posted by limodune
Had a bit of luck and found one of these brand new in the box still rapped up at a good price, had a good read of this thread and will do similar modes to make it more scale like as others have done and finish off with a new paint scheme, will build it with E power and E retracts, looking forward to the build, should make a good flying buddy with my CMP Zero

Mike

Wow Mike, that is so cool. I wish I could find another one of them ...I would love to do this build/mod again. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the future