Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Darryl from Sierra Giant Scale retracts in Road accident

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Darryl from Sierra Giant Scale retracts in Road accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Darryl from Sierra Giant Scale retracts in Road accident

Sorry to hear this, hope you too get better soon.

As for me I'd never golf without a full face helmet and chest protector on.

http://everythinggolf.blogs.heraldtr...that-uncommon/
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think the people encouraging the use of helmets intend their message as critism but rather as instruction. There may be people who don't ride motorcycles but may in the future. Or riders who may rethink their non-helmet position after given it more thought.

Darryls wife is super nice and super fun. Darryl's a good friend.. I wish them both the very best..

Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM
vallawyer

It's your choice to wear a helmet or not, Iam not interested in politics of it, Iwas just hoping he was wearing a helmet because if you wear a helmet...
You will probably be injured less. Not a political statement about laws!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH
I don't think the people encouraging the use of helmets intend their message as critism but rather as instruction. There may be people who don't ride motorcycles but may in the future. Or riders who may rethink their non-helmet position after given it more thought.
Darryls wife is super nice and super fun. Darryl's a good friend.. I wish them both the very best..
I live in Michigan, where helmets are mandatory. Plenty of motorcyclits die in this state each year, while wearing helmets. Darrell and his wife are alive, despite NOT wearing helmets. If there is a point some people are attempting to make: I don't see it. If you ride a motorcycle, and you get in an accident, you will likely get hurt. Your head may or may not be 'protected' by a helmet, the rest of you your body won't. If you were traveling at a high rate of speed: odds are you will die, whether you are wearing a helmet or not. If you are at 'city' speeds, your chances improve, but you still have a large part of you body, which includes vital organs, which are not protected.

Darrell obviously lives in a state where helmets are not mandatory, he and his wife chose not to wear them, they are both alive, and I for one am not going to be critical in any way shape or form for them not wearing them.

Personally, I despise the current D.O.T. standards, which basically require a 1" thick foam layer within a helmet. I consider overkill to the point that it actually makes helmets more dangerous, merely by making them so bulky.

I ride because I love to. It is the closest thing to flying without actually flying. We (bikers) like to say it's like freedom. Don't know a better way to descibe the feeling, sounds corny and cliche, but it's what sets my soul free. I don't ride fast, I ride a Harley, and would rather just cruise. Don't like interstates, would rather travel at a slower pace on country roads. I've a feeling that Darrrell feels like that too. Sometimes, kinda feel like a fighter pilot. Maybe that's why we do it. Live life in the safe zone if ya want to, some of us want to 'ride into the danger zone'.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

I live in Michigan, where helmets are mandatory. Plenty of motorcyclits die in this state each year, while wearing helmets. Darrell and his wife are alive, despite NOT wearing helmets. If there is a point some people are attempting to make: I don't see it. If you ride a motorcycle, and you get in an accident, you will likely get hurt. Your head may or may not be 'protected' by a helmet, the rest of you your body won't. If you were traveling at a high rate of speed: odds are you will die, whether you are wearing a helmet or not. If you are at 'city' speeds, your chances improve, but you still have a large part of you body, which includes vital organs, which are not protected.

Darrell obviously lives in a state where helmets are not mandatory, he and his wife chose not to wear them, they are both alive, and I for one am not going to be critical in any way shape or form for them not wearing them.

Personally, I despise the current D.O.T. standards, which basically require a 1'' thick foam layer within a helmet. I consider overkill to the point that it actually makes helmets more dangerous, merely by making them so bulky.

I ride because I love to. It is the closest thing to flying without actually flying. We (bikers) like to say it's like freedom. Don't know a better way to descibe the feeling, sounds corny and cliche, but it's what sets my soul free. I don't ride fast, I ride a Harley, and would rather just cruise. Don't like interstates, would rather travel at a slower pace on country roads. I've a feeling that Darrrell feels like that too. Sometimes, kinda feel like a fighter pilot. Maybe that's why we do it. Live life in the safe zone if ya want to, some of us want to 'ride into the danger zone'.

I would respond to that corsair and Bob is right on the money with his comment but instead of starting a debate over helmets this should be about Darrell and his hopeful full recovery.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:09 PM
RonTins

My thoughts and prayers are with you Darrell and family. He was extremely helpful to me when selecting a nose gear for my Cessna. Wish you a speedy recovery pal!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow terrible news, my prayers go out to you Darrell and family.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 AM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Personally, I despise the current D.O.T. standards, which basically require a 1'' thick foam layer within a helmet. I consider overkill to the point that it actually makes helmets more dangerous, merely by making them so bulky.

Well of course you don't ride fast......you have a Harley! JK. I have a Roadliner and while I wear a helmet for MOST riding I still find myself around town liking the feeling of the wind on my head. It is each persons choice and some choose not to. And while I know that helmets do help I have seen were they also hurt because of the weight and whiplash effect! And nothing political here just observations!

And CJ I just had to pick at ya. I ride with a bunch of Harley guys and we are always going back and forth with each other!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 AM
storchman1

Darrell,

Wishing you and your wife a speedy and full recovery. We need you back in the shop making the best gear money can buy!

Ed Newman
Old 10-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Wishing Darrell and his wife all the best and a full recovery.

I think the only debate here is the fact that they got hit by a drunk driver. I'll bet that if he ( the driver of the truck ) was irresponsible enough to drive under the influence that he also did not have insurance,prior convictions, and no DL.

Here is the whole scenario:
A good man and his wife are enjoying the day by taking a motorcycle ride and unknown to them a pickup truck is headed down the road towards them being driven by a drunk. Something to think about every time a car goes by you in the opposite direction.

The bad part is that this bumb will get possible jail time, a fine, and will then be back on the road doing the same exact thing in 30-60-90 days. Darrel and his wife will hopefully recover but may have lifetime dehabilitating injuries. I got crushed in a car accident in 1980 at the age of 22. Miraculously I survived. Now 32 years later I am feeling the pain of those injuries and yes alcohol was involved.

Why is it the drunk seldom is the one that gets hurt?

Dennis L. Wann
(customer and personal aquaintance for 5 years )
Bryan,OH
Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best wishes and speedy recovery, Darrel and Theodora.

I agree, it's the person who wasn't being responsible, who is responsible for their accident. Life happens, unfortunately, it's those who aren't responsible for themselves or respect the rights of others, that cause things like this.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

WOW, been away from the forums for a short time and saw this. I have known Darryl for many years and have many of his products in my aircraft. He has been a good friend in the hobby and I always was happpy to see him at different events over the years. I too ride motorcycles and by the grace of God have not had an accident like this. I truly wish him and his wife a speedy recovery and Darryl get back up on that horse as soon as you can my friend. Hope to see you soon. I also hope the driver of the other vehicle that was drunk gets his due.
Regards,
Gary Webb
Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I know Darrel doesn't post very often, but he reads most of what we post. I'm so sorry for your accident and all the hardship this will cause. Wishing you both a speedy recovery.

Gary
Old 10-19-2011, 12:09 PM
p-40lover

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just a question l see has been asked but not answered is Darrell a one man show or does he have help....he does some really great work but l wouldn't see him back full bore to his wife and him are better....hope for a speedy recovery
Old 10-19-2011, 01:49 PM
BigRetracts-RCU

To all my Friends,

Thank you for your overwelming support.
Teddie and I are on the road to recovery, although it will be
several month's before we are both up to full speed.

We are not a one man shop.
We have a staff of 10 people with 1 part timer.
Don't let this keep you from your next order, as we still have to
keep the employee's on staff and this takes orders.

If you need to place an order, fell free to send me a list to my e-mail address
and I will try to get back to you ASAP.

Thank you for all your prayers, they mean a lot.

Regards,
Darrell Tenny
Sierra Giant Scale

Although the page is a little dated, here is the factory and equipment.
http://www.sierragiant.com/news.html
Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: BigRetracts-RCU

To all my Friends,

We have a ataff of 10 people with 1 part timer.

Regards,
Darrell Tenny
Sierra Giant Scale

Good news. Rest and heal quickly. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear you and your wife are ok Darrell. Hope you both get back to full speed soon.

Tony Gagliardi Jr.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: BigRetracts-RCU

To all my Friends,

We have a staff of 10 people with 1 part timer.

Regards,
Darrell Tenny
Sierra Giant Scale

It is FANTASTIC to hear directly from Darrell. I am personally relieved to hear from you my friend. Been monitoring this post everyday and I know everyone else has been too. Get well soon.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 PM
loucel-RCU
My Feedback: (57)

Darrel, good to hear you and your wife are back home, wishing you both a speedy recovery

get well soon!!!

best
Roberto
Old 10-20-2011, 05:46 AM
wingspar

I'm so glad to hear that you and your wife are ok. Hoping and praying for a full speedy recovery for both of you!

I did receive the tail retract for the the 1/4 scale F6F. Also the 1/4 inch hinge points are outstanding. Sure wish I'd known about them earlier so as to use them in the 190[:@] I'll be ordering more.

Dave N
Seattle
Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM
G-Pete

Theodora and Darrel, our prayers are with you. Terrible news, sorry to read that.
God speed! Bless your hearts.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
pilot43

Theodora and Darrel, Ñ‚he Russian pilots are prayed for You. Recover soon!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:10 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Nice shop!

Wishing you two a speedy recovery.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92769.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1676885  
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 PM
darren763
My Feedback: (117)

Wish you and your wife a full quick recovery Darrell.

God bless,

Darren
Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

May your recovery be as speedy and uneventful as possible.

You're the BEST!

mt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.