RCU Forums - View Single Post - Darryl from Sierra Giant Scale retracts in Road accident
Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Darryl from Sierra Giant Scale retracts in Road accident

ORIGINAL: BobH
I don't think the people encouraging the use of helmets intend their message as critism but rather as instruction. There may be people who don't ride motorcycles but may in the future. Or riders who may rethink their non-helmet position after given it more thought.
Darryls wife is super nice and super fun. Darryl's a good friend.. I wish them both the very best..
I live in Michigan, where helmets are mandatory. Plenty of motorcyclits die in this state each year, while wearing helmets. Darrell and his wife are alive, despite NOT wearing helmets. If there is a point some people are attempting to make: I don't see it. If you ride a motorcycle, and you get in an accident, you will likely get hurt. Your head may or may not be 'protected' by a helmet, the rest of you your body won't. If you were traveling at a high rate of speed: odds are you will die, whether you are wearing a helmet or not. If you are at 'city' speeds, your chances improve, but you still have a large part of you body, which includes vital organs, which are not protected.

Darrell obviously lives in a state where helmets are not mandatory, he and his wife chose not to wear them, they are both alive, and I for one am not going to be critical in any way shape or form for them not wearing them.

Personally, I despise the current D.O.T. standards, which basically require a 1" thick foam layer within a helmet. I consider overkill to the point that it actually makes helmets more dangerous, merely by making them so bulky.

I ride because I love to. It is the closest thing to flying without actually flying. We (bikers) like to say it's like freedom. Don't know a better way to descibe the feeling, sounds corny and cliche, but it's what sets my soul free. I don't ride fast, I ride a Harley, and would rather just cruise. Don't like interstates, would rather travel at a slower pace on country roads. I've a feeling that Darrrell feels like that too. Sometimes, kinda feel like a fighter pilot. Maybe that's why we do it. Live life in the safe zone if ya want to, some of us want to 'ride into the danger zone'.