Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Meister Platinum 109 or Bust Ya'll!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Meister Platinum 109 or Bust Ya'll!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 PM
lovetoflyguy
My Feedback: (139)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meister Platinum 109 or Bust Ya'll!!

Okay, so here we go again! Dino decided to go with an all wood upgrade for our Platinum 109. After many tears and him begging, not until he promised to name his first born son after me did I decide to do the fist build and create a step by step builders manual for this plane. Some might remember I did the same thing for our P-47. Honestly, I do appreciate the opportunity to better my skills and try to produce something that can help other modelers.

The only difference to our new line is the wing and horizontal stab. However, I decided to log my build here and get slapped around by you fine fellows so here we go!

The first think I noticed was the high quality and ease of the parts. The first picture shows the main wood parts that go into building the wing.

The spar comes in 3 parts so, I laminated them using Zap 30 minute epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46572.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1643698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39971.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1643699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68780.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1643700  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM
lovetoflyguy

Default RE: Meister Platinum 109 or Bust Ya'll!!

Once the spar had time to dry, I tack glued all the ribs to the spar then secured it to the table. The build tabs make it really easy to align each rib and assure correct wash out once the sheeting is complete.

After I was happy with all the alignment, I glued the leading edge and trailing edge hardwood forms. The nice part is, once everything sort of "snaps" into place, you know its straight. I love the simplicity of this wing so far!

Some light sanding is required to make sure the sheeting will lay flush once it is glued on.

Name:	Xu62408.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1643706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77564.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1643707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62973.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1643708  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM
lovetoflyguy

I can't believe that I sheeted the first wing and forgot to take pictures. So, I decided tonight to build the other side and take pictures of that. I decided to start sheeting from the trailing edge. Second I layed another sheet from the leading edge. As you can see, the sheeting makes triangles. The triangles actually make the wing 84.5223% stronger than laying it side by side......okay so I totally made that up, but I do think it does help the strength and well Dino will probably want to fly it sooooooo.......

The last picture shows the wing sheeted after I lightly sanded with 250 grit. I'm pretty happy.

It has taken about 3 hrs to get to this point. So far both wings look like the last picture. I'm waiting to figure out a few thing and will bring some more pics soon.

Name:	Yw68642.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1643716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16494.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1643717   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27010.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1643718  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so is the kit an all wood kit or is it just the wing?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

Yeah P.J. is doing something!!!!!!! and his reward will be....................

Name:	Ay73484.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1643778  
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be Glad to Help and I only need one !!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 AM
lovetoflyguy

LOL Jeff, I can only expect something like this from you. If there was a "bubble top" 109, I would build it in your honer!

Rambro, No, its just the wing. The rest of the plane is fiberglass.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 AM
tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: lovetoflyguy

Okay, so here we go again! Dino decided to go with an all wood upgrade for our Platinum 109. After many tears and him begging, not until he promised to name his first born son after me did I decide to do the fist build and create a step by step builders manual for this plane. Some might remember I did the same thing for our P-47. Honestly, I do appreciate the opportunity to better my skills and try to produce something that can help other modelers.

The only difference to our new line is the wing and horizontal stab. However, I decided to log my build here and get slapped around by you fine fellows so here we go!

The first think I noticed was the high quality and ease of the parts. The first picture shows the main wood parts that go into building the wing.

The spar comes in 3 parts so, I laminated them using Zap 30 minute epoxy.

I have 2 of these new in box and the foam is what has been keeping them out of the air. I see Dean got the top guy on the job! This will be great.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: lovetoflyguy

I can't believe that I sheeted the first wing and forgot to take pictures. So, I decided tonight to build the other side and take pictures of that. I decided to start sheeting from the trailing edge. Second I layed another sheet from the leading edge. As you can see, the sheeting makes triangles. The triangles actually make the wing 84.5223% stronger than laying it side by side......okay so I totally made that up, but I do think it does help the strength and well Dino will probably want to fly it sooooooo.......
Did you glue the sheets together while they were "On" the wing, so to speak?

Many claim (including myself) that it is best to glue the sheets flat on the table first, and then
glue the whole sheet to the wing afterwards. (You can still make a triangle)

Easier to avoid ugly sheet-joints, when gluing them together.

The triangle-tip is something to remember.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 AM
lovetoflyguy

Hey,

Good question. I have been able to glue it on 1 by 1 as I go. I know many feel it is better to glue all of them together first, but I guess I've been doing it this way for years and am happy with the look after. All of my joints are seamless. I take my time cutting the sheeting and sort of "slide" them into position. I ONLY use Zap thing (pink) to glue the seams together. It sands down just as easy as the wood. I found other CA's don't. They are harder to sand down.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Looking on....
Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

PJ, I have just one question, how many bottles of 5 hour Energy Boost did you guzzle to get those two wing panels done in only three hours. Jeff knows your first weakness, I know your second.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 PM
jeff naul

Actually Gary those are his second and third weakness.. The first is... well anything made my little debbie.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to start an drawn-out argument, or detract too much from your thread, PJ... But, out of curiosity, why is wood considered an upgrade from foam core wings? Just from my personal experience, I would argue that foam builds faster and is ultimately lighter and stronger than built-up wings.

So, I would be interested to hear the argument from those at Meister Scale.

Thanks.

Watching with interest, too.

Noah
Old 08-04-2011, 05:56 AM
tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: butlern

Not to start an drawn-out argument, or detract too much from your thread, PJ... But, out of curiosity, why is wood considered an upgrade from foam core wings? Just from my personal experience, I would argue that foam builds faster and is ultimately lighter and stronger than built-up wings.

So, I would be interested to hear the argument from those at Meister Scale.

Thanks.

Watching with interest, too.

Noah
I cant answer for anyone, but for myself i like wood better because i understand how to work with it. I have been hounding Dean for a wood wing for this bird and i am under the impression that others have aswell. What ever you think of this kit you have to admit Meister Scale is responding to its customers requests. You got to give them credit for that. I ordered 2 of these upgrade kits yesterday.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:29 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Really interesting build thread. Wasn't aware that a wood wing was developed. I have never had a problem using foam at all, but I can understand how many like to stick with the built up structure as familiarity does breed confidence, and certainly I have built more wood wings than foam core ones. However it's done, the bird is the pinnacle of 109's, so should be fun to watch.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

I was unaware of the wood wing coming as well. I know that the Platinum 109 was very attractive to me for price, size, and quality but was immediately set down and walked away from when I saw foam core wings. Not that I dont like foam core, just that I have no experience or knowledge about them. I would rather not cut my teeth on that kind of thing with something that big, perhaps something in the 70" size I might dabble with but for the big boys, I want wood as Terry said, I understand how to work with it better. I am interested in this thread.. and P.J.? Show more pictures of your pretty face!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:40 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Terry nailed it. I too prefer wood, and stating that "I am familiar with it, and how to work with it" echos my sentiments perfectly....especially when it comes to putting retracts into a foam wing [:'(].

Jeff
Old 08-04-2011, 10:25 AM
91zulu

Wow, didn`t know there were so much guys that do not know how to do a foam wing. Must be newbies, because if you were in for quite a while one had to have done a Lanair or Byron kit some where along the way or maybe a Jemco, Bud Nosen even ??? Really!!! Holy cows. Give me foam any day its a hell of a lot easier. Back when I was younger I scratch build using just a Xacto knife, razor saw and a Stanley plane. So when a foam wing came along it was Christmas.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM
tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: 91zulu

Wow, didn`t know there were so much guys that do not know how to do a foam wing. Must be newbies, because if you were in for quite a while one had to have done a Lanair or Byron kit some where along the way or maybe a Jemco, Bud Nosen even ??? Really!!! Holy cows. Give me foam any day its a hell of a lot easier. Back when I was younger I scratch build using just a Xacto knife, razor saw and a Stanley plane. So when a foam wing came along it was Christmas.

Yep im a newbie. Only 7 years in the hobby. Garym helped me out with the only foam wing i ever had. I cant say i built it because i basicly just did what i was told. Now with that said i can tell you for a fact it was the strongest wing i had ever seen. I made a few bad landings and bent the struts real bad but never damaged the wing. The plane was sold and when it went in the only thing that made it out was that wing.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM
91zulu

Oh yes foam wings are super strong. Done right you would gamage your gears before the foam. That is form 40 size to giant.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I am a newbie with 25 years under my belt, but that doesn't mean one does not have preferences, and established a rythym and pattern for assembly of wooden wings. With that, jumping to a foam wing disrupts my building pattern as I have to think everything out from scratch. Can I do it? Yes, easily. I have done many foam wings, including those on my 1/2 scale GeeBee, but I don't care for them. I think they come out heavier and weaker as I have never really seen a foam wing that stands the test of time vs. retracts. I will agree they are easier to repair in many cases, however. To me wood builds easier, faster, stronger and less mess. I think it is all based on what you grew up with. I can assemble a standard Ziroli wing, ready for glass in less than 30 hours. Speaking for me, I know I can't do that with a foam wing. Maybe some can. Just an opinion, and we know where those get ya....

Back to topic....Personally, I think it is great that wood wings are coming for this kit.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2011, 01:04 PM
tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: F4u5

Back to topic....Personally, I think it is great that wood wings are coming for this kit.

Jeff
What he said. Hey PJ anymore photos?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

BTW, foam haters, The retracts are not mounted in the wing on the Platinum 109. They mount to the fuse. The wing only has the wheel wells.
E.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 PM
jeff naul

I too like foam and Dino gives me crap about it...My next Meister 47 will have a foam tail... Like you guy's said lets get back on topic.....Let me lure P.J. back out....Here Pee-Pee-Pee-Pee.....

Name:	Wu59924.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	1644410  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.