Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

ORIGINAL: jln1320

Hi, my name is Jack, I am New to the Brotherhood, I just wanted to make a comment regarding my Pica 1/5 scale Spitfire. This Spitfire has a lot of meaning to me since it was a gift to me, since i wanted to build it as perfect and as scale as possible it has been sitting glassed and unfinished for over 30 years waiting to someday make it perfect.
Well the time has come where i have started working on it again and it is almost ready for paint, it is fitted with Impact engineering pneumatic retracts and a Super Tigre 3000. Since i no longer use any glow engines because of their messy oil residue i am thinking about purchasing an Evolution 40GX because the aircraft is designed for rail mount engine and i did not wanted to modify the firewall etc.
This Pica Kit was a gift to me from a very dear friend of mine, Mr. Mort Tanger.
Mort was the founder of Pica Aircraft, we used to fly together at Masters Field in Miami Florida back in the seventies and i have a lot of priceless memories. I have lost contact with Mort and his family for many years since i moved to Daytona Beach. I was sadden to hear that Pica closed its doors sometime ago.
I have made a commitment to finish and fly this bird in the next couple of months, i will post some pictures soon, i hear the CG on this airplane had changed from the original location on the plans, if anyone has any solid experience with this condition, i would appreciate some feedbak.

Happy Flying!!
Jack,
Let me also welcome you to the Brotherhood!! You will receive a lot of help on your build here. We all love this bird!!
Again, welcome to the hood!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
jet22b

WARBIRDRCER,
Did you think we would have 120 Brother when you started this thread??? Thank you for doing this!!!
BTW: I will post more pictures on the Top Flite Spitfire tomorrow.
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Warbirdguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aerofalcon

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

Was doing a little youtube surfing and found this baby. The ultimate Spitfire model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M2D6...eature=related
All i can say is ''WOW, that's the worst sounding Spitfire i've ever heard''! Sorry, turbines don't belong in Spitfires, but that model flies awesome!
Yep, its not the norm, Ill agree with you on that. But you can at least hear the prop chewing the air LOL. It flew good too.

I got the flooring finished in our home remodel today. Tomorrow we start on the paint and then the sun room to finish. I hope to have it all done by the weekend, then finishing touches on a customers build, Yak 9, then Im draggin the old spitfire out and get it done. All this talk about spittys is getting me all hot and bothered lol.

Ill keep searching for the "unusual" spittys

WBG
Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 AM
lovehydro

jln1320
I posted photos of the moving thelanding gear forward on my PICA Spit. You can find this on page 18. I also posted the painting around page 25. I was waiting for the decals to complete the project. I have gotten side trated a bit, how ever this winter I willl complete this project so it is ready to remaiden this coming spring. Good Luck.
lovehydro member #39
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Sonny, Looking forward to seeing the progress on your build.

It is great having this many enjoying our thread.
By the way, Moggy joined the Brotherhood so now we have 121.
Welcome to the Squadron Moggy. Spitfire Brotherhood #121
Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 PM
jet22b

Okay Brothers,
Here are a few pictures on the build of the Top Flite Spitfire 60 kit. As you can see, it is starting to look like a Spit!! The build is almost done, but, here come the fun part, sanding!!!
Stay tune!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97907.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	1792414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85020.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1792415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29795.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1792416   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44951.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1792417  
Old 08-16-2012, 08:29 AM
ahgoodman

PGRC in Maryland is having a Warbird Rally on Sunday September 16. Warbirds of any size are welcome, especially Spitfires. My Pica Spit is ready for paint but unfortunately won't be ready for the Warbird Rally.
This event is in tandem with an IMAA Giant Scale Rally on Saturday September 15. So if you have a Giant Warbird, come fly both days. There will be a Saturday night steak party in our Clubhouse. I am the CD for the Warbird Rally. Open the pdf for my contact info.
Spitfire brother # 107
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Yw69026.pdf (222.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 AM
spadsriver09
My Feedback: (1)

Good Moring Bros,

Great news to report from the Fon Du Lac Fly-in!! Both Ziroli spits maiden on Wed. night and they fly spectacular!!! Although we did have a couple techinal diffuculties with some equipment(i.e. digital servos), everything worked out great! We do have some videos that will be posted sometime in the near future. I hope to see more of these Spits built and flown!!
Lee
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 AM
jet22b

Lee;
Congrat on the maiden flight. Can not wait to see the video!!
I always say, when a new plane leave the field the same way it came, it is a very good day!!!
Again, congrat on the maiden!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-19-2012, 06:18 PM
WARBIRDRCER

There will be more to follow, but the last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of October are set for our 2012 World Spitfire Invasion.

More to come:
Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Ham639
My Feedback: (13)

Spit Brothers,

To confirm Spaddrivers words, the Spits fly very well. No bad tendencies that we can tell at this time. Ground handling is very good and flight performance is stable.

I even had a flap servo burn up on me on final and landed with no flaps at all. She floated in like a butterfly with sore feet!

Attached are some pics, and even a pic of a spitfires brother too. (It flies great too!)

Cheers,

Ham639

PS. Jeff Q's Spitfire is freakin' huge and flies fantastic as well.

Name:	Sq46813.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1793515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49960.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1793516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84792.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1793517  
Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Yep, Chuck and Lee do not lie. Beautiful is an understatement. Two of the most nicely finished birds at FDL also...and that's saying a LOT. Flies so stable and predictably. Beautiful little spitfire 'bounce' on landing...the real deal. It was great seeing them fly. The sound of Jeff's engine is fantastic with the inline twin in there. Was sitting right behind it when he fired it up and it felt like the prop blast of a real plane...awesome.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
glazier808

you know, Jeffs plane is not that big....he's just 2/3rds scale.

LOL

Love ya Jeff! Go boilers!

Casey
Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

I wish I were 2/3 scale Casey......I am headed for 2:1 scale[:@]. Boiler-Up!

I agree check/Lee/Rich and the boys really produce some astounding reproductions. I wish I had that talent!

Jeff
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM
mad web tv scientist

Ham, great looking Battle of Britain airplanes. Was there any tendency to roll when that flap servo burned up? Your two Spitfires and one Hurricane definitely caught my attention. I plan to fly my two Spits and one Hurricane at or around the time Britain commerates it's famous Battle.

I've been very busy trying to figure out what is happening with the web. I was a little annoyed that my "Churchill statement" (see second post on page 35) stoppped bringing up "The Man Who Designed the Spitfire." Several times when I typed this last title into Google, up popped the Spitfire Brotherhood thread and other interesting information - problem is inconsistency. My web TV systems almost always bring up something different from my PC as well as PCs in other areas.

There is little doubt that the "Spitfire Brotherhood" is getting the kind of quality attention useful in bringing in the best of the best Spitfire modelers.

Please keep all the good stuff coming.

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416 PLEASE SEE POST 852 (page 35) on Spit Brotherhood thread for FANTASTIC INFO.

____________________________________ FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

___________________________________ SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT! Facebook's finest hour - http://www.facebook.com/richard.porter.167 (There is a "malware" problem on either my PC or Facebook's web site as the display on Facebook is different between my PC and other web equipment owned by other accounts. It's like the action smileys and "red X" problem I have reported on other threads. THE MALWARE PROBLEM ON FB IS NOW GONE.) Due to the unanticipated important information about the revolutionary thorium plasma battery technology on top it is now necessary to scroll down to the "buried treasure Spitfire" posts.

"mad thorium batteries" typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up great information about thorium plasma batteries. The next URL brings up the best information about THORIUM I can find on the web. http://www.ecocarforum.com/ev-forums...t_a_recha.html
Old 08-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Ham639

Yes, there was a pucker factor for a moment, but in true spitfire form, she handled it like a lady.

I was just happy once I knew what the issue was I could raise the good flap to correct the issue.

When I landed, both servos were now burned up.

Cheers,

Chuck
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Ham639

Couple more pics from FDL. Thanks to Scott Anderson for taking these awesome images.

Hope to have video soon.

Cheers,

Chuck

Name:	Hf10107.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1794048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35689.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1794049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53167.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1794050  
Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM
WarbirdPilots
My Feedback: (209)

I figure this is the best place to ask this question. I have a Pica 1/5 Spitfire that I am going to be rebuilding, but I must ask, is the strut length on the pica 1/5 spitfire correct? The struts seem very short to me.
I am going to be ripping out the retract block and installing a 1/4" thick plate for the retracts, and was also looking at increasing the length of the struts.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Adam Martin
TwinturboZ
Spitfire Brotherhood #98
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Indeed they are too short as they are in a non-scalelikeish position (too far outboard). But, makes it easier for building.

Jeff #108
Old 08-21-2012, 12:46 PM
albsurfer

Ham639,
Great looking Spit & Hurricane! Glad it went well.

I probably missed it in the threads, but what paint did you use? Did you use something over it?

thanks,
Allen
Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
WarbirdPilots
My Feedback: (209)

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I will be moving them forward when I install the new retract mounting plates. After looking at them, I think a full length 1/2" thick Robart strut will be the proper length.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Adam Martin
Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Ham639

Just plain ol' house paint with a water based clear coat (satin).

I'm too cheap for anything else, besides, after painting all my friends AC I couldn't afford it

Ham639
Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
albsurfer

Ha Ha Ha! I hear ya on being "on the cheap"!

Thanks.
Allen
Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 PM
WARBIRDRCER

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Any interest in a Spitfire Brotherhood vinyl sticker? Something simple like what is shown below. Nothing real fancy but something you could stick on your flight box to identify yourself with the Brotherhood. I think I will make a couple up just to see how they turn out. If they come out alright I'd be happy to make 'em up for just the cost of materials and shipping.

Thanks to Chad we now are closer to our Spitfire Brotherhood shirts.

I just received a message from my shirt guy and the attachment is Chad's design for our shirt and decals. I like the look of the logo because it reminds me of the old WWII aircraft ID silhouette playing cards.

Are we final on the RAF Blue color, pocket T-shirt, or were we looking for a collar shirt?

Be back soon,
Old 08-21-2012, 04:29 PM
glazier808

+1 for pocketed RAF blue tee.

Casey

Squadron member #15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.