Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Alsa chrome on a warbird ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Alsa chrome on a warbird ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alsa chrome on a warbird ?

Trying to find anyone that has used Alsa killer chrome spray cans and it's top coats mirror clear. I want to put this polished look on a 1/5 scale mustang to go with the scheme I have graphics for. I'm not intrested in alot of other products and I have made tests on Valspar Cosmic aluminum and chrome and it never produced what they said it would.

Alsa Killer chrome, what do you know about it that can be backed up with pictures or threads about it. Thanks, Leroy
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Alsa chrome on a warbird ?

Scott Prosen had a 1/4 Wildcat done in ALSA Chrome paint. He didnt do the painting but his plane looks like alu, very much so. I've seen it several times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkdjdysZbQ4

His isn't polished alu though. Maybe that's what you are after? One technique with this paint is to put down a coat of black/dark blue/dark gray to give the panels individual looks.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH

Scott Prosen had a 1/4 Wildcat done in ALSA Chrome paint. He didnt do the painting but his plane looks like alu, very much so. I've seen it several times.

His isn't polished alu though. Maybe that's what you are after? One technique with this paint is to put down a coat of black/dark blue/dark gray to give the panels individual looks.
That's right Bob! I have seen this plane in person a bunch and it looks, well, "killer".. however, it is NOTpolished..

Daggum, I have tried a few times to upload pics and it keeps failing..

Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Scale Specialties

I have first hand experience with Alsa's Chrome FX and Mirra Chrome Products, not the Killer Chrome though. The Mirra Chrome is similar to what you find with Buffing Metalizer products that the plastic modelers often use. It has to be applied to a highly shiny black surface. It looks really quite good until you top coat it and then it looses about 50% of its reflective quality. If you don't top coat it, it looks good but really can't take much handling without smudging or wearing off. The Chrome FX is actually a multi-step chemical process that requires almost laboratory conditions to make it work effectively. It is very expensive and even as professional painter I found it quite difficult to get consistent results. When the planets align just right, it looks just like chrome, almost too shiny for polished aluminum actually. The trick then is to apply a top coat that has a very slight amount of flattening agent to it bring it down just half a shade from its real chrome appearance. I am not sure where the Killer Chrome system fits into their lineup, I have seen it advertised but don't know of anyone who actually uses it. Hope that helps you some.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH

Bob, no doubt, Scot has a beautiful plane. It's easy to see the dedicated work that went into it.I too have put alot of time and effort into the prepping this mustang for a knock out finish. Scheme is the polished version of Cripes Amighty 3rd, such a beauty,but I'm hesitant about what to put on it at this point. Alsa looks like it has some promise as shown on there web site but a number of questions have come up. Hoping to find some answers here. Leroy
Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
tunakuts3d

There is a current discussion on chrome paints over on RCSB. in the finishing topic.
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...et=last#372297