Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robart (Ziroli) P-47 "Gabby" version

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart (Ziroli) P-47 "Gabby" version

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM
AZThud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man watching your bird meet its end was hard to see, it was absolutely beautiful. How is the Corsair?

Cheers

Rick
Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Rick,
I have to rig the left wing fold system, cut/install gear doors, rehang the engine and reinstall the radio gear. I was well on the way until the Robart v2 Jug came on the horizon. The Jug was supposed to be a "quick build" but of course that notion melted as I started "correcting" parts of the paint scheme I didn't like.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaint.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	2154158  
Old 03-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the final weight of these planes? The Robart Website says 35-38 lbs. Is there enough room inside the cowl for an opposed twin, such as DA-70? According to the DA Website, the DA-70 is 10.6" wide at the plug caps.

-Ed B.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:17 AM
ENZ5573
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by Growler84
It is the splitter for the bottom of the cowl and when I first saw it I thought it was cool, but for my engine setup it would not work. So I used the one Ziroli sells. I also baffled the inside of the cowl to direct air around the cylinder head. Bear in mind I fly in Las Vegas in the summertime.

I had version 1 as well (until the right wing separated, another story) and using the EVO 80 I'm installing in this one the stock firewall was just fine. I made a wood standoff block and installed the engine with 3" standoffs in both the v1 and now the v2. The EVO 80 is smoother than the DA-85 (I've run both) so I can use standoffs, not recommended with the DA-85.

Referencing propellers, like many, I quickly grew tired of nicking $100 27 X 10 carbon fiber props and moved to a wood Zoar 26 X 12 to give a little more clearance. I had no problem with this setup as the EVO 80 turns a 12" pitch very nicely.

Hi Greg..
thanks for the info on the ziroli air scoop! do you have pics of the front of the cowling?
sorry to hear about your plane on the carbon wing tube!!
I just got the v2 and in the progress of building..I have the carbon wing tube! Should i worry about it? Should i get aluminum one?I also noticed that you are using a single cylinder 85cc motor..I know they produce more vibraton then your 50 and 60cc motors.
I have seen some 85cc motors share carbon wing tube in half on some 3D planes.
Thanks,Vincent
Old 03-26-2016, 02:34 AM
ENZ5573

Originally Posted by Flyfast1
What is the final weight of these planes? The Robart Website says 35-38 lbs. Is there enough room inside the cowl for an opposed twin, such as DA-70? According to the DA Website, the DA-70 is 10.6" wide at the plug caps.

-Ed B.
Hi Ed B.
I am going with the ZP GT80 Twin. It will not fit horizontal,but should fit vertical and the top cylinder is very close to the top of the cowling. I am converting to the 1/4 32 plugs to make more room and should fit. Have to make costume exhaust.
Reason i am going with this motor?
1 one of the smallest motor in its size like 240mm for side to side
2 The plugs have extreme angle for more clearance
3 Its 6.5LB dont like to use a lot of dead weight
4 twins have less vibration
When i am done with the install i will post some pics.
Thanks,Vincent
Old 03-26-2016, 02:38 AM
ENZ5573

Originally Posted by Kirk RC
Vincent,
i used a 3/8 dia hardwood dowel. Also I have no idea what the above scoop is for. Maybe for lower cowl intake?
i have to go in India tomorrow for week and half on business so my building will come to a complete halt. On the 15 hr flight over I sit with a glass or two of wine (read a full bottle) and buy RC stuff. In that way when I get home I have nice presents waiting. The wife just loves it,ha! Maybe I will pull the trigger on the BME 116 for the Meister FW190D I'm building😎

Hi Kirk..
Thanks! Have a safe trip to India..Very nice on the Meister FW190!
Thanks,Vincent
Old 03-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ENZ5573
Hi Ed B.
I am going with the ZP GT80 Twin. It will not fit horizontal,but should fit vertical and the top cylinder is very close to the top of the cowling. I am converting to the 1/4 32 plugs to make more room and should fit. Have to make costume exhaust.
Reason i am going with this motor?
1 one of the smallest motor in its size like 240mm for side to side
2 The plugs have extreme angle for more clearance
3 Its 6.5LB dont like to use a lot of dead weight
4 twins have less vibration
When i am done with the install i will post some pics.
Thanks,Vincent
I look forward to seeing how your engine choice works out. It should also have a good sound.

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Growler84

Hi Greg..
thanks for the info on the ziroli air scoop! do you have pics of the front of the cowling?
sorry to hear about your plane on the carbon wing tube!!
I just got the v2 and in the progress of building..I have the carbon wing tube! Should i worry about it? Should i get aluminum one?I also noticed that you are using a single cylinder 85cc motor..I know they produce more vibraton then your 50 and 60cc motors.
I have seen some 85cc motors share carbon wing tube in half on some 3D planes.
Thanks,Vincent
Please DO NOT replace your carbon wing tubes in your v2 Robart. You misinterpreted what I wrote about my v1 Robart. The picture I posted was to compare the wall thickness of the v2 tube verses the thinner wall thickness of the tube I put into the v1. The carbon wing tubes in the v2 Robart Jug are 100% good-to-go and for that matter, the aluminum tube in the v1 Robart is good-to-go as well. I should have never brought this up...

Here is the front of the cowl with the Ziroli splitter.

Name:	CowlFront.JPG
Views:	623
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	2154291  
Old 03-26-2016, 10:35 AM
ENZ5573

Please DO NOT replace your carbon wing tubes in your v2 Robart. You misinterpreted what I wrote about my v1 Robart. The picture I posted was to compare the wall thickness of the v2 tube verses the thinner wall thickness of the tube I put into the v1. The carbon wing tubes in the v2 Robart Jug are 100% good-to-go and for that matter, the aluminum tube in the v1 Robart is good-to-go as well. I should have never brought this up...

Here is the front of the cowl with the Ziroli splitter.

Lol, ok thanks Greg! and thanks for the pic
Thanks,Vincent
Old 03-26-2016, 10:39 AM
ENZ5573

Hi..
Have a question? How much of a pain on the ass is it to the get the cowling screws on with the dummy radial? and what kind of tool are you all using?
Thanks,Vincent
Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Growler84

Hi..
Have a question? How much of a pain on the ass is it to the get the cowling screws on with the dummy radial? and what kind of tool are you all using?
Thanks,Vincent
Put openings in the top half where the yellow circles are. For the lower fasteners go through where the bottom yellow circles are.

I use a Bonhdus 10 inch extended allen driver in the appropriate size, I bought it from Micro-Fasteners. The cowl bolts up quite easily.

Name:	v2Cowl.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	972.9 KB
ID:	2155004  
Old 03-30-2016, 04:41 AM
ENZ5573

Put openings in the top half where the yellow circles are. For the lower fasteners go through where the bottom yellow circles are.

I use a Bonhdus 10 inch extended allen driver in the appropriate size, I bought it from Micro-Fasteners. The cowl bolts up quite easily.
Thanks Greg!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Growler84

Finally did the maiden sorties on mine this past weekend. Assemble, gas, air and go. No issues at all, it required a couple of trim clicks for elevator and ailerons and was done. Its powered by an EV0/MVVS 80 turning a 26 X 12 prop. I'm more of a scale flyer but I did do a number of max speed runs to check the airframe and rigging out, the EVO 80 with the 12 pitch prop provides a lot of speed. I have a bit of down trim in my flap-elevator system (12X) but otherwise there were no trim changes required when deploying the flaps either half or full. At 41 lb dry weight the model flies light and landings are almost effortless.

Name:	HV-A3.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	2161766   Click image for larger version

Name:	HV-A2.JPG
Views:	547
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	2161767   Click image for larger version

Name:	HV-A.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2161768  
Old 05-10-2016, 03:03 AM
ENZ5573

Very nice Greg! I am almost done with mine. Last thing i have is my exhaust system to do,should be ready to go in a week or so.
Great job!
Old 05-10-2016, 04:30 AM
G T

Good to hear you had a sucsessful maiden flight, I like you choice of engine as they are a power house at 10hp. I was at you club last year when on a trip to Vegas, nice wide runway.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:51 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats Greg
Old 05-10-2016, 09:38 AM
AZThud

Looks real nice Greg! Congratulations on the maiden success, I am looking forward to seeing both you and the plane at some point in the future! Cheers!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Growler84

Thanks all!

The Team Vegas Warbirds crowd will be at the SoCal Scale Squadron Warbirds & Classics June 10-12.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:39 AM
AZThud

Awesome will see you there, there are a few of the Phoenix folks heading to SoCal. Should be a very good time!

Cheers
Old 05-10-2016, 04:54 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the So Cal event was a week later, June 17-19. I bummed, I want to go there.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pictures show the demise of a new Robart P 47 ARF on its second flight. I was beginning to disassemble my warbird to go home when I heard the DA 85 in this plane suddenly go wide open and the sound attracted my attention because it was at high altitude and obviously diving at very high speed. When I got my eyes on it the plane was at about 3-400 feet and coming straight down at the east end of our flying field. I heard the spotter call out to cut the throttle and the pilot answer that he had pulled it back but the plane was not responding. A second later it impacted and parts flew 30 feet in every direction. After I got my plane loaded I drove over to the crash site and was amazed at the impact crater it made. There were very few recognizable equipment parts left. The owner and his helper were of the opinion that when the tail separated from the fuselage (at relatively slow flying speed), the tail dragged the servo tray back stretching the throttle pushrod wide open so it would not be able to throttle back. Without a tail to stabilize it the plane went into a terminal dive dragging the tail by the indestructible carbon fiber pushrods (they were still intact after the crash).
I have never seen a wing crater before but you can see the crushed grass on either side of the main crater. Parts of the wings were some distance from the crash site. I examined the fuselage at the failure point and saw very thin fiber glass with no internal reinforcement. 35 years ago I experienced a similar fuselage failure in a popular ducted fan jet on the third flight during a slow pass to take pictures. The right flying stab suddenly fluttered and the plane dove in destroying it. My own evaluation was that the fuselage was laid up in the molds, then the mold was stood on its nose to cure allowing the resin to be pulled by gravity away from the area that failed in flight. I liked that model design and bought 3 more but I installed carbon reinforced parts in the weak area.

Name:	P 47 crash day ocala 5716 004.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	1,002.2 KB
ID:	2162095   Click image for larger version

Name:	P 47 crash day ocala 5716 006.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	751.4 KB
ID:	2162096  
Old 05-11-2016, 08:57 PM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's sad
Old 05-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Newton5019

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you guys with hands on experience with this plane, feel a saito fg84r3 would power this plane, I've flown a 36lb esm corsair with this engine and it was matched perfectly

cheers

toby
Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 AM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neton, these planes vary in weight with radio gear and landing
Gear so if your around the same
Weight and your saito is in good
Running condition there's no reason there should be a problem
What size prop are you using ?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:36 AM
Growler84

Originally Posted by sjhanc
The pictures show the demise of a new Robart P 47 ARF on its second flight. I was beginning to disassemble my warbird to go home when I heard the DA 85 in this plane suddenly go wide open and the sound attracted my attention because it was at high altitude and obviously diving at very high speed. When I got my eyes on it the plane was at about 3-400 feet and coming straight down at the east end of our flying field. I heard the spotter call out to cut the throttle and the pilot answer that he had pulled it back but the plane was not responding. A second later it impacted and parts flew 30 feet in every direction. After I got my plane loaded I drove over to the crash site and was amazed at the impact crater it made. There were very few recognizable equipment parts left. The owner and his helper were of the opinion that when the tail separated from the fuselage (at relatively slow flying speed), the tail dragged the servo tray back stretching the throttle pushrod wide open so it would not be able to throttle back. Without a tail to stabilize it the plane went into a terminal dive dragging the tail by the indestructible carbon fiber pushrods (they were still intact after the crash).
I have never seen a wing crater before but you can see the crushed grass on either side of the main crater. Parts of the wings were some distance from the crash site. I examined the fuselage at the failure point and saw very thin fiber glass with no internal reinforcement. 35 years ago I experienced a similar fuselage failure in a popular ducted fan jet on the third flight during a slow pass to take pictures. The right flying stab suddenly fluttered and the plane dove in destroying it. My own evaluation was that the fuselage was laid up in the molds, then the mold was stood on its nose to cure allowing the resin to be pulled by gravity away from the area that failed in flight. I liked that model design and bought 3 more but I installed carbon reinforced parts in the weak area.
That sucks, I know because I've been there.

The mishap model sjhanc is talking about looks like a v1 Robart Thunderbolt because of the green wing skins (inside) just like the one in my wreckage photo. Regardless of v1 or v2, I don't know how the throttle could be affected by a tail coming off (if it did) because the throttle servo is mounted to the engine firewall assembly in both variants of the Robart P-47.

Circumstances aside, it is sad to loose a model like this and I feel for the owner/operator.

Name:	Junkpile.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	659.1 KB
ID:	2162129  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.