Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swb?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Here are a couple of examples of the areas they could pay a little more attention to in the QC dept. Not deal-killers, but really a shame given how nice the plane is otherwise. You can see the gap in the flap isn't even. There's a bit of a gap between the wing panels because of the pull-strings for the servo leads, but that's not why the gap is wider at the TE than at the LE. That kind of thing is frustrating. The gap on the other wing is even.

On the stabs, the LE of the stab at the root is forward of the mating surface on the fuse. I'm sure these stabs are jig-built, so they should have seen to it that the jig matched the one that produced the shape of the fuse where the stab meets. Again, I'll either live with it or fix it. If I fix it, I'll be a little irritated that I had to. If I live with it, I'll be a little irritated every time I look at it, LOL.

In the spirit of not finding the glass half empty, there are several areas on the plane--particularly the inside of the fuse--where this plane looks like such a quantum leap over the TF Giant Mustang. Also, the servo mounts are done for you and the holes match the HS645MG servo perfectly. I've had this plane for less than a day and the wing servos are all mounted and leads routed. If it weren't Christmas Eve, and I didn't have kids and honey-dos, I'd have the gear doors done and the wing good-to-go by the end of the day. That's pretty slick, especially compared to TF.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	flapgap.jpeg
Views:	854
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2057590   Click image for larger version

Name:	tailfudge.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2057591   Click image for larger version

Name:	tailfudge2.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2057593  

Last edited by Shaun Evans; 12-24-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: forgot pics
Old 12-24-2014, 01:07 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Swb?
http://www.swbmfg.com/
Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Shaun Evans

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2014, 01:35 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

No problem. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Still digging through this thing. I'm definitely going to need a new canopy and windscreen. This canopy has gobs of clear coat dripping down it like Niagra Falls. Yuk. Giving credit where it's due, though, the cockpit parts are the best fit I've ever seen on ANY model airplane kit. No exaggeration. Again, total head-scratcher because they got that part 100% flawless. The parts fit so well it makes you giggle. I started writing a review on the HH web site because there's only one there and it's a 5-Star all-the-way. I'm not at all suspicious of that review I decided to wait until I'm done with the assembly so the review can be honest, fair and thorough.

I've decided to definitely re-cover the dorsal and vertical fin. I'm probably going to convert the scheme to a Red-Tail. It won't be a scale scheme then, but I don't care. The rudder is already the right color. I'm going to get a roll of that red and re-cover the horizontals and elevators, too. The covering job on the horizontals isn't bad, but the elevators are akin to the fin. Not so good.

You know, some people complain about the proliferation of P-51 models on the world market. I gotta tell you, when you put the canopy on and look at that profile, you understand why this design has been such a favorite. It's gotta be one of the sexiest airframes of all time. Cadillac of the Sky!
Old 12-25-2014, 02:46 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

For me, it's mainly frustrating because they've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into making a good plane. If they've intended to beat the TF, they cleared that hurdle before I opened the box. They've gone through the trouble of designing it internally so that it could accommodate a full-depth cockpit and have a sliding canopy as stock. Why go through all of that just to eff up the 'end-game' and offer a bargain-basement covering job? Don't get my gripe wrong--I don't mind fixing bubbles or wrinkles with an iron. It's the areas where they've branded the wrinkles in on top of themselves (between two layers of covering near joints and seams). Those have to be lived with or redone. Total head-scratcher on that one....

They want $200 for the painted spinner. Umm..... nope. I'll go with the Dave Brown one they offer for $60. Still a tiny bit of a sting, but I'm sure that's only because I'm used to TF including them with the ARF and then charging $45 for a replacement. Oh well. Overall, it's still a beauty compared to the TF.

Anybody know where to get slightly shorter standoffs for the DLE 55RA?
For standoffs, look at the Tower website, and look at the stand off sold for the other DLE engines. there are different lengths for the different engines. The offerings for the 60cc twin are short, and I found though that they are not threaded. You will have to look and see if the lengths work for you.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Please post pics of the firewall and engine install when you get the chance, just for info sake.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:39 PM
sjhanc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yellowaircraft,
Now you have a reason to start a thread detailing the way you fix the stuff you don't agree with on the plane you have. I have a stack of new Top Flite P 51 D canopies that I replaced with Fiberglas specialties parts. The TF parts were cloudy and too thin too use. I also have the ABS cowlings for the kit versions that I didn't use because the vibrations the chain saw motors produce causes them to crack. Just like with cars, the after market companies make a living making better stuff to dress up your plane. It won't be long before this plane is added to their list, and I think it is a good thing.
After my military aviation jobs were over I worked in car dealerships for the next 30 years and a lot of that work was installing after market parts on brand new cars. When the emissions regulations became effective most of the aftermarket work shifted to cosmetic hop ups, but if anything, became more expensive.
I remember opening kit boxes years ago and making lists of wood and other parts that needed to be replaced. In those days the airframe cost was only a small part of the total cost of construction of your favorite airplane. I was proud to point out the changes from stock to my fellow club members.
It is not cheaper to use an ARF-ARC airframe and it is not always quicker to get it to the field. During one intensive building year I produced 10 kit planes and lost them all to the "I ain't got it" bug. It took me many years to discover that the receiver battery that the radio manufacturer supplied was only good for 3 flights with 3 control surfaces and throttle. Now a lot of the more expensive Radios don't come with flight packs. And I don't miss them.
Since I started putting my own flight packs together my success rate has soared to hundreds of flights on each new plane, instead of sorrow after 1 trip to the field with a new plane that came home in the garbage bag it was necessary to carry. In the last 20 years I have only one new plane that went down due to servo failure during the first trip to the field. And that was after 5 flights totaling more than 1 hour of flight time on a kit that took 3 years to complete.
We are all excited about the release of this new P 51. I have closely examined the pictures available and watched videos of its flight. I think it is the most scale ARF of a P 51 that I have ever seen. The only deficiencies with it are caused by factory workers who are more concerned with going to lunch than doing a good job they could be proud of and signing their name to. This is a problem that Hanger Nine could only solve by having it built in America and that just isn't affordable I guess. And yet there are a huge number of American hobby enthusiasts who could build the planes we want the way we want it. These guys are willing to spend whatever it takes in time and money to produced the plane they want.
So get busy and let the next guy know your fixes to the details that aren't up to your standards. You may start a thread that will go for years even after your plane is finished.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:39 PM
kalzone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be doing a build thread on my hangar 9 mustang but I'm doing electic power

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2057714  
Old 12-25-2014, 04:58 PM
sjhanc

kalzone,
what motor and batteries, ESC are you starting with?
Old 12-25-2014, 05:11 PM
sjhanc

kalzone,
Is that a solo prop? what is the diameter and pitch?
Old 12-25-2014, 05:26 PM
kalzone

It is a eflite power 360 I used it in my corsair too. The prop is a vairoprop from Germany the diameter is 22.6 and the pitch is set at 16 now but it can be adjusted from 0-22"
Old 12-25-2014, 05:27 PM
kalzone

Esc is 160 hv castle and batteries are eflite 6s 5000 it will have 4 during flight
Old 12-25-2014, 05:34 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

[QUOTE=sjhanc;11948035]Yellowaircraft,
I have a stack of new Top Flite P 51 D canopies that I replaced with Fiberglas specialties parts.

Hi sjhanc,

Do you have a TF Giant scale P-51 canopy from Fiberglass Specialties?
If so I just looked up the parts listing on the website and couldn't find them listed.
If they have them, I will go ahead and order a couple as they produce excellent quality products.

thx
Dave
Old 12-25-2014, 06:16 PM
sjhanc

Of the p 51 canopies that I have these 3 are the only one I consider usable. The one on the right is an ARF that has a scratch at the top center about 3 inches behind where the pilots head will be. It might be possible to polish, I never tried, just replaced it.
The middle canopy has rub marks from packing material on the top, they are light and could polished with motorcycle faceplate polish. I think it came with an ARC that I converted to a B.
The left canopy has some rub marks on the right side and top. it also could be polished. I don't remember how I got it. It has not been trimmed, the others have been partially trimmed.

Name:	p 51 canopy 001.JPG
Views:	676
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	2057716  
Old 12-25-2014, 06:31 PM
DLEVETT

Hey thanks for getting back to me and for the pics.
I have a kit version canopy that has turned kinda yellow and I want to replace it.
From what I have seen the kit canopies are considerably thicker material than the ARF version and the ARC canopy
is from the kit (hence thicker and more robust for separating into a 2 piece)
I guess my question for you is does FS produce a canopy for the GS P-51D?

thx
Dave
Old 12-25-2014, 06:43 PM
sjhanc

kalzone,
I plan to use the Rimfire 65cc motor I have on my build. This motor has massive torque and can easily turn a four blade prop but needs 16 inch or higher pitch to produce adequate speed for a high performance Mustang because of its low kv of 160. The packs will be 14s 2p 10000mah and the ESC will have to handle 200 amps. I used this motor on my TF P 51B and got horse power data back that showed 8 hp during vertical climbs on a 12s pack and drawing 165 amps. The prop used was an APC 26-15E 2 blade and it reached peak speeds close to 100mph. Wattage was 5645.
I believed the H9 P 51 wing with its Selig 8000 series airfoil will produce less drag and be able to cruise at lower throttle even if it comes out heavier than the TF planes (mine is 29 lbs.) I tested this motor with 10-12 inch pitch props in several diameters but flight speed with these props is inadequate for a P 51. Thrust was high though, better than 40 lbs. with some props. I got the best top speeds with props that only gave 29 lbs. thrust.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:53 PM
kalzone

When I built my corsair with this power I use a 3 blade version of this prop the power 360 is 180kv with 25lb of thrust @ 100 amps in the air max amps were 120 @ 146mph this was shot with a radar gun @ 17" pitch
Old 12-25-2014, 07:02 PM
sjhanc

I checked Fiberglas specialties and they don't list any. What I meant I guess, is that these d model canopies were set aside when I converted the planes to B models. I have used Top Flite B canopies and Fibergas Specialties B canopies. The FS product is clearly heavier plastic and it appears to have been pulled over a TF B canopy as it is an exact fit. This means it is also larger by the thickness of the plastic. I have had no issues with either product other than the TF part is cloudy and FS is clear. The TF B canopy can not be polished to make it clear. The guy at Fiberglas Specialties told me that he could copy plugs sent to him. I have on hand 5 TF D canopies and only 2 are usable without a lot of work to improve appearance. I also have 3 FS B canopies and all are sharp and clear without any polishing necessary.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Shaun Evans

Cool!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:11 PM
sjhanc

kalzone,
Its a good thing nobody here is using your motor or I would have to get one to keep up. There is one pilot flying a Spitfire at speeds over 130 mph using an AXI motor but he gets 4 minutes duration with no reserve. A little too tight for me. Its still fun zooming past the loud chain saw powered planes.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:12 PM
DLEVETT

Thanks for the clarification sjhanc.
Yeah I agree, the FS stuff is very good quality.

Dave
Old 12-25-2014, 07:53 PM
sjhanc

yellowaircraft,
Did your plane come with the stab factory installed?
Old 12-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

No. It's modular. The servos are installed in the stabs. The stabs slide onto an aluminum tube and engage a bolt-through tab.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.