Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Kolm 135 install in CARF Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Kolm 135 install in CARF Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Ixtrim

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, the duct fan is a possibility,if you dont want to cut out a big whole downside to get tho hot air out. to build a working airflow with the original radiator is not easy, with small tubes as seen often it will not work.
my plan on voodoo is to bring fresh air fromthe front, and get the hot air out in the back. i think the inlet in the front is big enough for the carburators and cooling the engine.
Someone calculated how big the hole needs to be, just to bring enough air for the carbs. i will search for that ....
Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You need three to four times the exhaust area compared to the intake. Plus the heat of the engine will promote flow through the compartment and the ducting.
I've seen photos of the corrugated black tube people have used to duct the engine. This is not efficient but it's convenient I guess.
I plan to make the area cross section of the ducting constant through the fuselage below the cockpit and then open up to the area of the exhaust outlet.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:54 PM
Ixtrim

Yes... the plan : outtake 4 times bigger then intake is well known. shoudl work , normally. but this is not always what it is in reallity.

on weekend i have seen a T28 1:1. we had time to talk with the mech an look to the plane an all parts in front for cooling. the truth is, the intake (as big as he engine) is MUCH bigger then the outlets. it works also, because of the baffling around the zylinders. AND: spoilers at the outlets.. that make it work.
and same you can use on RC planes. i think there are always many ways to make it work. your sucess you can see if you have temp-sensors on board.
at p51 maybe there are minimum 3 ways to do it.
i have seen :
Cooling from Carb side
Cooling from exhaust side
Cooling with duct fan from behinde

...and all of them worked. it depends on how much work you want to afford, how "Scale" it needs to be.....
Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 PM
Ixtrim

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
You need three to four times the exhaust area compared to the intake. Plus the heat of the engine will promote flow through the compartment and the ducting.
I've seen photos of the corrugated black tube people have used to duct the engine. This is not efficient but it's convenient I guess.
I plan to make the area cross section of the ducting constant through the fuselage below the cockpit and then open up to the area of the exhaust outlet.

you are right, the tube needs to be BIg ... and smooth inside. better way is a tunnel made of wood
Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 PM
junglejet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B.
Small ducted fan in the firewall mate. Put it on an esc and dial up the speed to draw cool air through.
Space is a problem, next time I fly it I will see what the temp peaks at. From memory on the 1st flight we saw 160c, dont need to run it hard as there is plenty of power for the P51
Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 AM
jamie_wram

Guys. Here's an EDF I've installed in a CARF Spitfire I'm building. It's for a Kolm 150. Thinks it's a 68mm.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:20 AM
jamie_wram

Sorry--the pics failed to load on previous post.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG
Views:	1671
Size:	1,001.9 KB
ID:	2178307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	1914
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2178308  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Chris Nicastro

Nice!
Will it make a supercharger style whine when it's flying!?

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 08-26-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ixtrim
Mornig!

So, it will fit :-) if not we can use the extender with 56.6mm legh. but i checked it on my "Voodoo" and it looked good.
At the moment i heard nothing from scale exhaust system. but i can ask whats going on with that!

Tom
Hi Tom, I haven't been able to find any pictures of this 56.6 mm extension being used. How much testing on the IL-135 do you think this extra long extension has had and have there been any issues or any extra installation guidance that needs to be followed?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:47 AM
Chris Nicastro

I looked at the 150L again and they included an extra long prop hub in addition to the black one which is mounted on the engine to ship. So It does have the long and short prop hubs included.
The engine from firewall to hub face is 14 7/8 inches long, pretty long engine!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 AM
luckymacy

I looked at the 150L again and they included an extra long prop hub in addition to the black one which is mounted on the engine to ship. So It does have the long and short prop hubs included.
The engine from firewall to hub face is 14 7/8 inches long, pretty long engine!
what's the length of the 2 prop hubs you received?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:43 AM
Ixtrim

Originally Posted by luckymacy
Hi Tom, I haven't been able to find any pictures of this 56.6 mm extension being used. How much testing on the IL-135 do you think this extra long extension has had and have there been any issues or any extra installation guidance that needs to be followed?
The longer hub was designed for p51 and is used very often. no problems with this lengh!

tom
Old 08-31-2016, 06:43 AM
Chris Nicastro

what's the length of the 2 prop hubs you received?
The black one is 36mm and the silver one is 57mm.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:01 AM
luckymacy

The black one is 36mm and the silver one is 57mm.
Ok, that helps confirm I should have also gotten the 57mm one too when I ordered the long engine version but didn't. At least I received a letter from Kolm this morning telling me they were going to machine an extension in the next few days. Frustrated is often a over used word but that's what I'm feeling...
Old 08-31-2016, 09:10 PM
Ixtrim

Ok, that helps confirm I should have also gotten the 57mm one too when I ordered the long engine version but didn't. At least I received a letter from Kolm this morning telling me they were going to machine an extension in the next few days. Frustrated is often a over used word but that's what I'm feeling...

right, that part was missing. you will get it, no worrys
Old 10-01-2016, 08:02 AM
fo36cabriolet
My Feedback: (13)

Good morning! I just happen to find this thread, and was hoping to get some info regarding the KOLM IL150 installation in a CARF p51. So far I've seen some people successfully fit the engine with some obvious Mods. My main concern before I even get started, is just how loud the KOLM is? Obviously its going to be loud considering the design, but just how loud is it? Is it something that most clubs will IMMEDIATELY frown upon? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-01-2016, 09:50 AM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by fo36cabriolet
Good morning! I just happen to find this thread, and was hoping to get some info regarding the KOLM IL150 installation in a CARF p51. So far I've seen some people successfully fit the engine with some obvious Mods. My main concern before I even get started, is just how loud the KOLM is? Obviously its going to be loud considering the design, but just how loud is it? Is it something that most clubs will IMMEDIATELY frown upon? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hi,
Yeah, it's on the loud side but it's also on the four stroke cool as **** side so .... if you're club doesn't like it, go to a different club. I have the 135 and I can't think of anyplace I fly that would not accept it. Just don't have it so under propped that the prop 'rips' in flight and you should be fine. I wouldn't call a CARF P-51 a everyday kind of plane you can just fly at any small Podunk field near subdivisions in the first place so what I'd call a 'normal giant scale warbird suitable field' that you should be using, especially for a maiden flight with lots of runway length and width, you should be fine.

Have you seen this video? typical of the 'loudness'. go to 3:55 into the video and on through the flight. should be more than adequate for you to figure your question out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoW08gzql0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL1dMU6Hl5o&spfreload=1

Last edited by luckymacy; 10-01-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:36 PM
fo36cabriolet

haha. Definitely a cool engine! That's for sure. I think I may recognize your screen name. West Jersey member? Recently visited propstoppers field in Brookhaven pa?
-Ryan
Old 10-01-2016, 04:17 PM
luckymacy

haha. Definitely a cool engine! That's for sure. I think I may recognize your screen name. West Jersey member? Recently visited propstoppers field in Brookhaven pa?
-Ryan
Hi Ryan, yep that's me. It be great if another local flyer got the same combo. I doubt I'll ever fly that at WJRC. I'll be flying that at another club I belong to where I can also fly turbine jets at and where there is just a lot more runway in all directions.

http://www.buc-le.org/pictures.html

lucky
Old 10-01-2016, 04:52 PM
fo36cabriolet

Very nice! I think I may have seen your mustang in a recent post from Buc-le. Dual mustang flight?? I'm seriously debating the roto-motor FSI 130 3 cylinder as well. Have any thoughts on that brand? They sound incredible!
Old 10-01-2016, 05:09 PM
luckymacy

Very nice! I think I may have seen your mustang in a recent post from Buc-le. Dual mustang flight?? I'm seriously debating the roto-motor FSI 130 3 cylinder as well. Have any thoughts on that brand? They sound incredible!
I've never heard of the brand. A reason why I got the Kolm besides the 270 timing sound factor was also because they made a cooling and mounting kit just for the CARF P-51 and they have a US distributor.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I maidened the mustang yesterday. Engine was fine, pretty rich, only got to 170. I have a big problem with some ignition noise. Elevators bounce to the rhythm of the idle. Lucky I didn't lose the plane on the first flight. At full throttle, they jump up and down. I'm using S-bus with a Robbe 2018. The plugs on the Kolm are the non-resistor type... ***??? I will swap them out and make sure the S-bus cable to the back of the plane is completely away from the battery that is running the ignition. Right now, all three batteries are in the tail and the S-bus wire may be too close, but doesn't explain what the rudder doesn't do it. Love that the electric starter fired the plane up right away after sitting for a year!
Old 10-02-2016, 01:47 AM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I maidened the mustang yesterday. Engine was fine, pretty rich, only got to 170. I have a big problem with some ignition noise. Elevators bounce to the rhythm of the idle. Lucky I didn't lose the plane on the first flight. At full throttle, they jump up and down. I'm using S-bus with a Robbe 2018. The plugs on the Kolm are the non-resistor type... ***??? I will swap them out and make sure the S-bus cable to the back of the plane is completely away from the battery that is running the ignition. Right now, all three batteries are in the tail and the S-bus wire may be too close, but doesn't explain what the rudder doesn't do it. Love that the electric starter fired the plane up right away after sitting for a year!
Washington state beat Oregon yesterday too so there was luck everywhere. Would you have noticed this last year during all your engine runs before the first flight attempt? It'd be intersting if you could move the batteries temporarily where you had them last year to see if during engine run up this problem went away? Any video? How'd it fly and land?

ps, maybe a easier test to do first would be to electrically remove the fuel pump/starter from the equation.

Last edited by luckymacy; 10-02-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:54 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lucky, the back half of this plane is completely different than last time.... ;-)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:20 PM
luckymacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKnf...s#action=share

here's a new video of a CARF Mustang and a Kolm 150. Yep, loud and proud. Kind of like a Harley motorcycle flying around the field. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.