Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top RC Models MkIV full Composite Spitfire-a game changer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top RC Models MkIV full Composite Spitfire-a game changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 08:11 AM
GIJon
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prekin
I would take it, but unfortunately shipping to Europe would be crazy!
I hear you Prekin. It's a good deal, I just have too much stuff and need to downsize. Wish you were closer.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:14 AM
GIJon
My Feedback: (118)

Originally Posted by GIJon
I have one for sale as well. Untouched, complete with retracts, spinner, EME 35, and Prekin exhaust. I'll let it go for $1100.
I am going to the Atlanta Hobby Swap in Cumming, GA the end of the month. I can deliver it there.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:42 PM
Blackwidow

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death already but I paged back through the thread and didn't see it so here we go...........

This plane is freakishly tail heavy!

I have just completed the build on the Top RC Spitfire. I bought it because I always wanted a Spitfire model and I had an extra 35RA motor on the shelf.

So during the build I knew it was going to be tail heavy (not my first warbird) so I moved the batteries, throttle servo, choke servo and tank, basically everything, as far forward as I could. The tail wheel and rudder and both pull-pull from a centrally located servo the elevator is on a forked 3/8" wooden dowel pushrod from a midship servo.

So I put her on the balancer and it wants FIVE POUNDS + in the nose. WHAT? I'm really disappointed! It weighs 19.5 lbs now so that will now become 25 lbs. Wing loading goes from about 38 oz / sqft to over 50 oz /sq ft.

Thinking about what else I can do. I did use Dubro pull-pull hardware with 4-40 clevis on the rudder on both sides. I suppose I could remove the hardware and just loop the pull-pull wire through the rudder horns and make all of the adjustments at the servo end. I could pull out the 3/8" wooden dowel push rod for the elevator and make a new one using a carbon fiber arrow shaft. Maybe pull the choke servo and rig up a manual method. Each of these just seem like a lot of work for a little gain.

Let me ask a couple of question of you guys if I could......

Has anyone experimented with the 130mm (FLE) CG and if so by how much aft before it gets stupid? I guess I asking if there is a range there and how big.

Are you guys experiencing near 25 lb airframes airplanes after balancing? If so, do they fly well at that weight / wingloading? Flaps take off & landing?

Honesty if it really needs 5 pounds my first thought is a bigger motor. Anyone putting say 55's or 60's cc motors in these?

Really appreciate you guy's experience and time to share your thoughts!

Blue skies

Tom
Old 04-14-2021, 06:36 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackwidow
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death already but I paged back through the thread and didn't see it so here we go...........

I have just completed the build on the Top RC Spitfire. I bought it because I always wanted a Spitfire model and I had an extra 35RA motor on the shelf.

So during the build I knew it was going to be tail heavy (not my first warbird) so I moved the batteries, throttle servo, choke servo and tank, basically everything, as far forward as I could. The tail wheel and rudder and both pull-pull from a centrally located servo the elevator is on a forked 3/8" wooden dowel pushrod from a midship servo.

So I put her on the balancer and it wants FIVE POUNDS + in the nose. WHAT? I'm really disappointed! It weighs 19.5 lbs now so that will now become 25 lbs. Wing loading goes from about 38 oz / sqft to over 50 oz /sq ft.

Thinking about what else I can do. I did use Dubro pull-pull hardware with 4-40 clevis on the rudder on both sides. I suppose I could remove the hardware and just loop the pull-pull wire through the rudder horns and make all of the adjustments at the servo end. I could pull out the 3/8" wooden dowel push rod for the elevator and make a new one using a carbon fiber arrow shaft. Maybe pull the choke servo and rig up a manual method. Each of these just seem like a lot of work for a little gain.

Has anyone experimented with the 130mm (FLE) CG and if so by how much aft before it gets stupid? I guess I asking if there is a range there and how big.

Are you guys experiencing near 25 lb airframes airplanes after balancing? If so, do they fly well at that weight / wingloading? Flaps take off & landing?

Honesty if it really needs 5 pounds my first thought is a bigger motor. Anyone putting say 55's or 60's cc motors in these?

Blue skies

Tom
I have one. I got it used, already built. It flew but was very touchy on elevators. After fooling with it for a while, elevator throws, expo etc. I finally added 3 oz more weight to the nose. I don't know the total lead, a lot, the total weight of the plane is 22.5 lbs. The little bit of weight I added really helped. It flies ok at this weight. Powered by a DL 32 with a three blade 17-8 prop. This is enough power to fly scale. I usually carry just a little power all the way to the ground and land on the mains. I usually take off and land on grass where it is not so twitchy on directional control. If you need me to, I'll assemble the plane and put on the cg meter to see what it is.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:48 PM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

I am not a pilto of TopRC Spitfire, but still thiking about one. They are not in stock, so I have a lot of time to think about it and search details. Unfortunately all of those Spitfire are over 10kg, what it quite a lot for 2m WS warbird. My Seagull Spitfire was 7.7kg and ESM La-7 after some mods 8.3kg.
My friend has one.
"No need to mix elevator and flap: these are more airbrakes than flaps. In take-off you don’t need them (unless the runway is REALLY short) and in landing they must deflect 90 degrees or little less. Flaps are small compared to the wing chord, hence no pitch effect"
His one is approx 11kg. In the pictures you can see he added a lot of lead.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:12 AM
Dsa44

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes blackwidow, it is very tail heavy. I flew mine electric with 160 motor on 10s and had to add 3 lbs lead up front to achieve CG. My AUW was about 24 lbs! (10 kg). However, it still flew well even at that weight. Unfortunately I lost it, and now working on a Blackhorse spitty which is surprisingly much lighter.
I would think a bigger motor would not hurt, but 60cc would be overkill, imho.
Good luck with the build
Old 04-15-2021, 08:27 AM
Prekin

Originally Posted by Dsa44
Yes blackwidow, it is very tail heavy. I flew mine electric with 160 motor on 10s and had to add 3 lbs lead up front to achieve CG. My AUW was about 24 lbs! (10 kg). However, it still flew well even at that weight. Unfortunately I lost it, and now working on a Blackhorse spitty which is surprisingly much lighter.
I would think a bigger motor would not hurt, but 60cc would be overkill, imho.
Good luck with the build
Would you create build thread with your BH Spitfire? I noticed, that they produce much better warbirds than before. Also come with retracts.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:51 AM
Dsa44

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Prekin,
There is a good discussion here.... https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...cussion-thread
I only have a few comments there. It has been a pretty straight-forward build, not much difficulty. If you need more info please pm me directly here or at rcgroups (same name dsa44)
I did like the fact that it included electric retracts in the price! Although the price seems to have gone up a lot since I purchased mine last fall.
Cheers.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:03 PM
Blackwidow

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prekin & Dsa44, Thank you!!!! I appreciate your time posting the pictures and information. Wow! That is gonna be a chore getting the 4 - 5 lbs stuffed in the nose of this plane. Every plane seems to present a new experience so here we go

I did just complete the exhaust stacks from Cary at Carbercomposites in Germany. I'm happy with the way they turned out. I just couldn't use those stacks that came with the plane.

New 3D printed Stacks from CarberComposites painted with dark brown camouflage paint and weathered with Tamiya powders sealed with flat lacquer
The following users liked this post:
Ohsh1t (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 11:14 PM
Ohsh1t

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did just complete the exhaust stacks from Cary at Carbercomposites in Germany. I'm happy with the way they turned out. I just couldn't use those stacks that came with the plane.

New 3D printed Stacks from CarberComposites painted with dark brown camouflage paint and weathered with Tamiya powders sealed with flat lacquer
Hey Tom, thankyou for using our stacks. Superb work on the colouring, we will have to give that a try as they look great!
Cary
Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 AM
Prekin

Hi Guys,

Blue skies

Tom

Another customer is finishing his Spitfire. I will get back to you, when get some more details about his Spitty. Right now we know, that she will be over 10kg.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:23 AM
CarreraGTSCS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need a set of wings

Anyone have a spare set of wings to sell? I screwed up. Tree vs Spitfire. Tree won.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:39 AM
kenverret

Blackwidow
See my post #633 that may help. I still fly it regularly. One of my favorite.

KAV
Old 06-24-2021, 05:07 PM
RBean

I was doing some maintaince on the Spitfire, had the cowl and weight platform off. The lead ballast weights 3 lbs. Total weight of plane is 22.5 lbs but flies ok. Don't have the specs on the cg.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:50 AM
Angel Carricondo

Hello,
I've recently purchased one of these Spitfires from bigplanes in Europe. The thing is that it came with the toprc electric retracts included, but I haven't heard good comments on these retracts, especially due to some issues with the controller.
Has anybody any feedback of them?
Thanks
Old 09-20-2021, 10:47 AM
jpflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default retracts

Originally Posted by Angel Carricondo
Hello,
I've recently purchased one of these Spitfires from bigplanes in Europe. The thing is that it came with the toprc electric retracts included, but I haven't heard good comments on these retracts, especially due to some issues with the controller.
Has anybody any feedback of them?
Thanks
I used them in my Spitfire on a 2s 1000 mah lipo. I have had zero problems.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:34 AM
Angel Carricondo

Originally Posted by jpflyer
I used them in my Spitfire on a 2s 1000 mah lipo. I have had zero problems.
Good to know!!
Thanks for your reply
Old 10-17-2021, 06:55 AM
jricchio
My Feedback: (3)

Do the wings, horizontal stab and rudder have panel lines?
Old 10-17-2021, 07:24 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the later ones with the invasion stripes, yes. There must be a V1 and V2 of these.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:38 AM
jricchio

Thanks!

Do you have any photos or direct me to a section on the thread that shows the panel lines?
Old 10-17-2021, 08:12 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These are from mine:

Old 10-17-2021, 12:13 PM
jricchio

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2021, 07:44 AM
RBean

The Spitfire has been down for a few months. Not really about the airplane, but the engine. DLA 32. Engine got where it wouldn't idle. Thought it was a carb problem. Removed engine, removed carb. Cleaned out carb. Replaced external fuel pump pulse line. Re-installed. Same problem. Tried to order new Tillison Carb. Can't get one. Installed Walbro carb for RCGF 32. Has the same problem. Found insulator block cracked at pulse line nipple. That must be it. Finally got a new block. Installed. Same problem. Ok, a two cycle gas engine is not that complicated. Removed and was going to disassemble the entire engine until I found problem. Turned out it was a part of the cylinder block gasket that was blown out. Replaced. Engine runs great now. Finally got to fly the Spitfire yesterday. Flew great. Engine has not run this good in a while.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:31 AM
Trackster1

I just started building my TopRC Spitfire and going electric. I’ve read about nose weight issues so will do what I can to keep weight down in the build and pile up as much as I can with battery size, etc at the front and then expect to add more weight. I’ve swapped out the aluminum wing supports for carbon.

2 questions for the experts in this thread:
1. I’m using a Dualsky XM6360EA KV190 motor and 120HV ESC, 12S setup. Can someone recommend a good prop size?

2. I want to keep the servo power supply as simple as possible. For a smaller plane I’d run a Dualsky VR Pro voltage regulator for the servos and retracts with a 2S lipo. I wanted to do the same here and connect in the TopRC gear controller for the TopRC retracts/gear to the same VR Pro and single battery. The 18awg wire on the controller doesn’t lend itself to using a JR/Futaba connector with the VR Pro and someone recommended I keep the gear controller separate and add another 2S lipo. Does anyone have a better recommendation?

Last edited by Trackster1; 02-16-2022 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-16-2022, 06:32 AM
kenverret

I would think a higher kv motor would be better suited. You could run a smaller prop for better ground clearance.

See my post #633. I'm still flying it. It's my favorite warbird.
I used 2 - 2 cell lipos. One for the receiver and one for retracts.

good luck

KAV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.