Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build

Old 11-30-2019, 07:46 PM
DaleCS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Slow build. Yes, I know. The last six months have been interesting: "Opportunity" to look for new work, surgery and father passed away. He served in Japan at the end of WWII and earned his jump wings there with the 11th Airborne. He became a private pilot after the war and got me started in RC when I was old enough.

Making some progress fitting the Top-Flite cowling. To finish this portion of the job, I first needed to mount the dummy engine in order to see what site lines exist for the internal cowl mounting bolts.

1. Fill dummy engine backside with Cosplay Creative Clay Compound (C-4) and some balsa. I did this to provide some mounting surfaces and eliminate any vibration of the rather thin vacuum formed plastic. Also, provides some useful nose weight for balance.
2. Make and attach a plywood mounting ring to the back of the dummy engine.
3. Make mounting brackets out of aluminum L-bracket material.
4. Trim cowling chin area to provide clearance
Almost done with these steps - two more L-brackets to make. Will take engine off the plane to make and position these. Already, I can see where I can and cannot access the firewall with a long T-handled screw driver or hex bit. The 'out of the box' mounting bolt tabs on the Top-Flite cowling former won't work at at all, as the carburetor, exhaust and my mounting location for the air cylinder all block access. Next steps will be to finish the L-brackets for the dummy engine mount, install blind-nuts in the firewall for the cowling 1/4-20 nylon mounting bolts, and install mounting tabs to the already installed cowling former. The mounting bolts will pass through these tabs and into the blind nuts.

And then... strip back the already installed fuse sheeting in order to reshape the firewall to fit the cowling!

A paper cup in the center; balsa added for epoxy purposes; Cosplay Creative Clay Compound going in (this stuff is very light - it also shrinks a lot so overfill and let it set several days (a week) before sanding to shape; this is actually a foam, not traditional clay).

"Clay" filled and sanded with mounting ring attached. My aluminum brackets are a bit odd shaped - yes, I know. I'm having to reuse some pre-existing holes from a Byron dummy engine, where these old holes don't line up well with the new dummy engine's cylinders.

Removing material from the inside the 'chin' area of cowling; using my drill press and Dremel cutting wheel at a fixed depth. Used the same technique on Byron/Iron Bay cowlings, years ago.

With material removed from the backside of the 'chin,' I now have 5/32" clearance between the rocker covers of the dummy engine and the cowling.

That's all, for now.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:18 AM
show871

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking awesome, something to consider when planning that engine box area is your going to need to add alot of weight....your going to need some room for it. I added around 5 pounds of lead bars to my engine box (with a DA100) and cowl so that took some thought and space to mount proper!
Old 12-01-2019, 09:28 AM
DaleCS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by show871 View Post
Looking awesome, something to consider when planning that engine box area is your going to need to add alot of weight....your going to need some room for it. I added around 5 pounds of lead bars to my engine box (with a DA100) and cowl so that took some thought and space to mount proper!
Thanks for the advice! I haven't blocked out space for balance weight, and that could affect access to the cowl mounting bolts.

I'll need to get creative, mock some dummy weights up and position them in various places in order to ensure access to the cowl mounting bolts.

This is 1/6 scale, same as the Byron. With a 69cc Precision Eagle engine, the Byron needed 2 lbs of lead up front. I'm pushing as much useful weight forward of the CG as possible. Just did a quick check with most components in place (missing: prop/spinner/pilot/muffler/ignition/spark plug/battery/receiver/wing tips), wheels down - it's quite nose heavy. Of course, there will be more fiberglass and paint work aft of the CG than in front, and wheels up, counterbalancing the current nose heavy condition.

Still, better to be nose heavy at this point of the build, than tail heavy.

Question: How do you mount your weights?

For the Byron, I built a box that made it easy to add or remove weight - I don't have the same space available, in this build.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:03 AM
show871

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default .

Ha cool, I am actually working on a Byron Hellcat today! There are people on ebay that melt down lead into bars.....you might be able to find different sizes I think my were around 10 oz. they are nice and I just epoxied bars on my box as needed. I added as much weight to the chin of the cowl as I thought it could take without causing problems. I have also build a box like you to hold a pound or so as I adjusted things. during first flights.

LOL I may have some questions for you on that Byron, Im basically re-engineering the entire tail section at the moment!

I "rough" CG'd mine early in the process I calculated the cg spot with wings off and I was able to guesstimate as I finished it up

Originally Posted by DaleCS View Post
Thanks for the advice! I haven't blocked out space for balance weight, and that could affect access to the cowl mounting bolts.

I'll need to get creative, mock some dummy weights up and position them in various places in order to ensure access to the cowl mounting bolts.

I did not realize its 1/6th lol but awesome thats a great size!

This is 1/6 scale, same as the Byron. With a 69cc Precision Eagle engine, the Byron needed 2 lbs of lead up front. I'm pushing as much useful weight forward of the CG as possible. Just did a quick check with most components in place (missing: prop/spinner/pilot/muffler/ignition/spark plug/battery/receiver/wing tips), wheels down - it's quite nose heavy. Of course, there will be more fiberglass and paint work aft of the CG than in front, and wheels up, counterbalancing the current nose heavy condition.

Still, better to be nose heavy at this point of the build, than tail heavy.

Question: How do you mount your weights?

For the Byron, I built a box that made it easy to add or remove weight - I don't have the same space available, in this build.

Last edited by show871; 12-01-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:24 AM
show871

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the bars were a good price also!

Last edited by show871; 12-01-2019 at 10:29 AM.