Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Anybody out there done larger then a DLE55 in the 1/5 Spitfire?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Anybody out there done larger then a DLE55 in the 1/5 Spitfire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody out there done larger then a DLE55 in the 1/5 Spitfire?

The DLE55 seems to be the accepted engine for both the 88" Pica and TopFlite Spitfires. Has anybody had any experience fitting anything larger in that narrow cowl..... like say a DLE61...... BUT, without severely cutting up the cowl ?

I've watched the youtube videos with the DLE55. Flight looks scale and OK, but I'd still prefer a little more speed on straiffing runs, etc..
Old 09-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Moggy
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a G62 in a Yellow Spitfire and it flew very well. You can elbow the carb so it doesn't stick out as much but you still need airflow over the head to cool it. I have a Pica Spitfire with an old Sachs 3.2 perhaps similar to the 55 but it has plenty of power. Not sure about the TF Spitty. Hope this helps
Old 09-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

My friend uses this prop on his ESM Spitfire which is powered by a DLE55 and it fly's much faster. I don't think we have any video of it sorry.

APC 20X15 WCAR-T6 racing prop
http://www.apcprop.com/product_p/lp20015(wcar-t6).htm

I use this on my ESM Raden with a G-62 and it moves pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6659.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	4.74 MB
ID:	2120777  

Last edited by Aero65; 09-19-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:38 PM
scalebirdman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://evoshangar.homestead.com/spitfire4.html
Old 09-21-2015, 05:05 PM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by scalebirdman

Interesting, but the 3W-60 engine is in a larger Yellow Spitfire and also has a really narrow home made welded muffler squeezed in there.. The Pica Spitfire in that link has a 50 sized BME in it which I wouldn't think is stronger then the 55DLE......but the cut-out for the carb looks bad and to me is a deal killer. While. I don't mind the cutouts for the engine head at all, cutouts on the side of the cowl like that are ugly and thankfully not necesessary with a rear carb DLE. Like I said, it was interesting reading and looking. So thanks for providing the link.

As for you other gentleman, a G62 would be a nice powerful engine, but is not possible for a Spitfire cowl. A G62 requires an elbow to hide the carb behind a round P-47cowl, never mind a Spitfire cowl. I'm still waiting to see if somebody comes forward to show a DLE61 in the Spit......and what muffler they used.

Thanks all for your participation thus far.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 PM
HORNET FLYER

Been running a DLE55ra in my topflite spitfire until it bit the dust at bomber Saturday!

she has more than enough speed on the 55 with a xoar 22x12.....mine weighed in at 22lbs!

Cowl is really narrow so I suspect a 61 with Pitts muffler would be hard to make work.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:03 AM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by HORNET FLYER
Been running a DLE55ra in my topflite spitfire until it bit the dust at bomber Saturday!

she has more than enough speed on the 55 with a xoar 22x12.....mine weighed in at 22lbs!

Cowl is really narrow so I suspect a 61 with Pitts muffler would be hard to make work.

The DLE 55RA is the perfect engine for the 25lb Pica or the 22lb Giant TopFlite, and the one that Top Flite Recommends. Interestingly, Tower mentions the DLE 61 when you click on their "optional parts & accessories that others have purchased". Tower also offers a discounted $$ package deal when you buy the DLE61 and Spitfire together. Strangely enough, they also provide a disclaimer that they can't assure compatibility of the suggested components for the build. ..... ...huh?

As for the DLE 55 in these 1/5 Spitfires.......I have watched numerous youtube videos of the DLE55 inside both the Pica and TopFlite Spits. The planes are certainly not anemic, and they do fly very scale with a nice amount of speed on the straight runs. But, it is just my personal preference to be roaring over the runway at 75mph or better, or I would not be fully satisfied. Yes, I agree with you that a DLE 61 would likely not fit, but I'm wondering if Tower Hobbies knows something that we don't know when they suggest buying the DLE61 engine for this plane. (??)
Old 09-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bigger than a 55cc engine in roughty 24lb model with a huge wing? Seriously?

I have a 90" Spitfire, weighs roughy 24lbs and has a Zenoah G-38 in the nose. Bucket loads of power.

Seriously you guys overpower your models.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:54 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What tower knows is called Marketing. It's got nothing to do with the plane or anything else.