Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What'should up with Sierra giant scale company?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What'should up with Sierra giant scale company?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:39 PM
andy86na
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What'should up with Sierra giant scale company?

I have been trying to reach them for 2 weeks about my order, by phone and e-mail. No responce. What'S going on?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 PM
andy86na

Sorry about typos--getting used to my new phone...
Old 10-07-2015, 05:11 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Business as usual.... Until his buddies chime in and say they have no problem getting in touch with them.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:17 PM
andy86na

You mean they are hard to reach normally? I had no trouble until I placed an order... Wold be disappointing as I suspect they have a good product and would like to receive it to continue my build
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by andy86na
You mean they are hard to reach normally? I had no trouble until I placed an order... Wold be disappointing as I suspect they have a good product and would like to receive it to continue my build

Yup, easy to get a response when you'll potentially give them money, once its gone, good luck. While the product is OK, the customer service is abismal. I only say the product is OK, bc if you have problems with it, your chances in getting it rectified are pretty slim to zero unless you figure it out yourself (im speaking from experience with Two purchases that both had faulty gear from the moment they were received).
Old 10-08-2015, 06:46 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to what Thomas said...

aweful hard to to get a hold of them, and if something is wrong with your order especially if it's their fault, you lose out.

much like an really really expensive hobbyking actually!!!

thanks

dave
Old 10-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with the previous posts. Nice product but customer service is awful. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:27 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

HELLO GENTS!!! If you would like a SIERRA PRODUCT.. I have been a SIERRA DEALER/STOCKING DEALER for over 6 years now...
Please email me your order/request and I can make sure of a prompt communication and get you what you need...

email direct to me at:
[email protected]

my website is www.vqwarbirds.com

Cheers,

-TOMAS

VQ WARBIRDS
"KEEP 'EM FLYING"
Old 10-09-2015, 06:31 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe Sierra is a one-man 'garage' type business and his products have a great reputation but like I said, he IS the business.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:24 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by tailskid
I believe Sierra is a one-man 'garage' type business and his products have a great reputation but like I said, he IS the business.
You have obviously never seen the photo of their facilities on their "news" page of their website. If thats a one man "garage" business, im in the wrong business!

http://www.sierragiant.com/news.html

alao not sure where his products have a great reputation. Ive met far more people who do Not want to deal with Sierra than I have those who have.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:09 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the date of that web page......
Old 10-10-2015, 06:41 AM
invertmast

Check the date of that web page......
Stil.... Four CNC vertical mills and 3 cnc Lathe's.. not a garage operation
Old 10-10-2015, 11:56 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So we have a choice of one company with abysmal post purchase service and another with soft Chinese pot metal that bends even under an almost normal landing. Great choices!
Old 10-10-2015, 01:35 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My misinformation concerning Sierra removed!

Last edited by ForcesR; 10-11-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=ForcesR;12111394]You are correct, the owner of Sierra is a retired machinist who has set up his own machine shop at his home in a very large work shop, or what some folks would call a garage, a very big garage![/QUOTE

That is not accurate. Darrell does not work out of his garage and he is not a one man operation. His customer service just stinks. He makes a great product and he is a good guy, just really bad at the customer service portion of his business.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:38 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by ForcesR
You are correct, the owner of Sierra is a retired machinist who has set up his own machine shop at his home in a very large work shop, or what some folks would call a garage, a very big garage!
Where did you get this info from????? I will be the first to say his customer service is as bad as you can EVER get but I have been to his shop a dozen times and it's a real shop. Please don't say anything about anybody unless you know the facts please.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2015, 07:27 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
So we have a choice of one company with abysmal post purchase service and another with soft Chinese pot metal that bends even under an almost normal landing. Great choices!
I have a set of the cheap Chinese retracts not EFlite. You buy the oleo strut from one manufacture and the retract mechanism from another. With some modification the two parts fit fine. The complete assembly cost $90 dollars per unit or $180 dollars for a set. These retracts will support weight up to 30lbs and the model I have them installed in is a 1/5 scale TA152H weighting in at 27 lbs. I have five takeoff and landings without a failure. I'm not saying they won't fail eventually but in this hobby things do go wrong unannounced.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by asimatt
Where did you get this info from????? I will be the first to say his customer service is as bad as you can EVER get but I have been to his shop a dozen times and it's a real shop. Please don't say anything about anybody unless you know the facts please.
Thanks
One day, I will see his shop for myself. At this point, I just want my stuff back. I sent him a set of retracts for repair back in Feb. The last two times I was able to get a hold of him (March & April) I was told my retracts were ready to ship. I provided my credit card information which to this day was never charged and my retracts were never sent. I left voicemails, emails and made countless calls but no reply, no answer. I'm not a happy camper.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 PM
The Ponz

I need a part for my CompArf P51 Sierra retracts, ordered on Monday received part on Thursday.

Seemed like pretty good service to me.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Ponz
I need a part for my CompArf P51 Sierra retracts, ordered on Monday received part on Thursday.

Seemed like pretty good service to me.
Lucky you!
Old 10-11-2015, 04:14 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
I have a set of the cheap Chinese retracts not EFlite. You buy the oleo strut from one manufacture and the retract mechanism from another. With some modification the two parts fit fine. The complete assembly cost $90 dollars per unit or $180 dollars for a set. These retracts will support weight up to 30lbs and the model I have them installed in is a 1/5 scale TA152H weighting in at 27 lbs. I have five takeoff and landings without a failure. I'm not saying they won't fail eventually but in this hobby things do go wrong unannounced.
I'm talking about the "major" game players in retracts, Robart and Sierra. Everybody's heard about the garbage pins the the Top Flite giant scale warbirds retracts from Robart. Their pins can bend on even a normal landing sometimes. I know they're working on it but it should never have happened to begin with
Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To all forum members/readers; my sincere apology for posting misinformation concerning Sierra! I should have known better not to post on a forum when one is fustrated and under the influence of Captain Morgan. I know there is no excuse for posting false information, but I did, and I acknowledge and accept my stupidity! All I can do at this point and time is hang my head in shame and move forward!!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 AM
stuka
My Feedback: (62)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shindin Machining is another choice. I have dealt with Lenny in the past and have had no issues. He makes a good quality product and is always available to answer questions.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:23 AM
stevegauth30

From what i understand, Darrell is a machine shop owner who fabs RC retracts as a side venture. . Probably waiting untill he has enough orders to justify a production run. I have his retracts and have no complaints. Good quality. That being said, His CS really is non existent. Like HK as someone stated. If he would just hire a little high school dweeb to shuffle papers and ship out orders on time, He might just change his reputation and actually get somewhere with it.

BTW, Hi Tony, long time no see.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few sets of his Sierra gear and it is very popular here. Over the years I have had a fair bit of luck getting hold of him for orders and the like. Last order was about $1500 worth of 1/4 scale tempest gear, 2 sets of scale wheelsa dn 2 tail retrat units. All arived quickly and amazing quality. That was back in 2008.

I did try to get an order for a set of 1/4 scale spitfire retracts for a friend but had no luck. In the end they were sources through I think Meister scale. They arrived quickly that way.

Another manufacturer based here in oz is Custom Retracts. They make reasonable gear. Again very popular here as they are local and have been in the market a long time though are now with a new owner who seems to be doing a good job.

Needed my Vailly Seafury retracts repaired after major bingle. 2 week turn around.

http://www.customretracts.com.au/

Agree though that Darryl needs to hire somebody to run the admin, phones, emails and posting orders while he focuses on production.

Always easy to be a keyboard warrior and vent becase the lastest gizmo for our toy hasn't arrived in time for us to play with it.

cheers
Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.