Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

C47 Cargo door hinges taped over ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

C47 Cargo door hinges taped over ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default C47 Cargo door hinges taped over ?

Does anyone know why the cargo door hinges would have been taped over on wartime C47 in service during WW2 ?
I have seen this on more than one occasion in wartime photos and also in some WW2 movies that were filmed post war. Is there a specific reason or was this just coincidental / accidental that tape would have remained on after some type of service or inspection ?
I'm just curious but I may include this as a scale detail if there is significant reasoning and of course documentation .
Old 10-08-2018, 05:55 PM
CK1

Well I think I figured it out .. I believe the tape was used on the hinges to prevent any snags when jumping out of the planes . This will be a scale detail on my C47 .
Old 10-10-2018, 04:01 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK1
Well I think I figured it out .. I believe the tape was used on the hinges to prevent any snags when jumping out of the planes . This will be a scale detail on my C47 .
My father told me some years ago that snags is exactly why. Since he was with the 101st AB in WWII and made all 5 combat jumps the 101 made, I think he would have known.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:42 AM
CK1

Appowner thank you for confirming my thoughts .