Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Deans Antennas

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 10:16 PM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Deans Antennas

Is anybody out there using this antenna on their warbird. I would like to install one in my Byron AT-6 because I am wary about running the antenna inside the fuselage.

I have had a fellow modeler tell me he knows of a couple of instances where planes crashed and the pilots claimed it was the Deans antenna.

I'm looking for anyone who is or has used it; comments both pro and con.

Here is the website of the antenna I am looking at:

http://www.wsdeans.com/products/antenna/index.html

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:35 AM
Dean-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whip antenna

Hi Maddog; I have a Hayes whip antenna on a P-47 that is completely covered with aluminum that works just fine. I also have a deans but the hayes can be removed from the base when transporting and storing your model.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:50 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Default Deans Antennas

I have used them in the past with great results......in both planes and heli's
Brian
Old 08-08-2002, 11:30 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default hayes

Dean, where did you get your Hayes antenna?
Old 08-08-2002, 11:02 PM
Dean-RCU

Default Deans Antennas

Hi Maddog; I got mine at the Hobby Barn. I was there today and the have some on order and should have them in next week. The phone no. is 520 747 3633 Web site www.hobbybarn.com
Old 08-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Kregg
My Feedback: (45)

Default Dean's Problems.....

I have only a little experience with cutting the standard rx antenna wire shorter and attaching a Dean's unit. The idea of cutting it down to 6 or 8 inches, just makes me cringe. I did this for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The aircraft and rx worked great "before" the installation of the Dean's unit. I installed the Dean's antenna (per the instructions) and crashed from radio interference on the first flight!!! I have no idea what I did wrong. A standard range check on the ground did not show any major problems. The range was a little less, but seemed acceptable.

I do not know if it was the way I installed the antenna in the fuse running back parallel to the push rods, or the way the wire fittings/plugs were assembled. At the moment I feel like a just ruined a good receiver by cutting the antenna short.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:47 PM
jashley

Default antenna repair

You can always solder the part you cut off back on. I've read that an inch or 2 either way is not that critical.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:56 PM
lbrannan
My Feedback: (8)

Default Deans antenna

I put a piece of shrink wrap around the pull-apart plug on the Dean's antenna. I have one on my H9 Edge 540 with a Saito 150 with no problems. That seems to me to be the only weak point - vibration could cause it to seperate.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:32 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deans Antennas

Hundreds of these antennas are in use in Calif. Most guys make their own for 35 Cents and 5 Min with a solerding iron. I use them exclusivley on all my planes. I have had planes to 700 feet and 1/4 mile away with no problems.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:25 PM
barnyard
My Feedback: (3)

Default Deans Antennas

IMHO, if the radio makers thought these would work properly, I am sure they would offer them as an option, add-on or something. I am sure they would know how to make that extra eagle scream.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:07 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Default Deans Antennas

Been flying an 80" chipmunk with a Deans antenna most of the summer. I got better range checks than I did with the "stock" antenna and, so far, it has been rock solid in flight.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:52 AM
selpel
My Feedback: (1)

Default Deans Antennas

Hey Maddog,I am finishing a 101 Zirioli B-25 which gets a Deans. I have 4 planes over 84" and they all have Deans. Including a Pica P-51. In total I have 8 planes flying now and NEVER had a receiver problem. BUT, these can cause problems if YOU DO NOT follow installation instructions. The antenna lead off of your receiver needs to be as close to the recommend length as possible because it is like coxial on a CB radio set, different length can cause SWR problems. I will not build any plane without this antenna and my next project is a Zirioli 114" P-38. Just my thoughts, Steve The Prez.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:09 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Deans Antennas

Get a revolution, I have one in my jet, and its a great antennae, and easy to mount. I have used most of them, alpine, deans, hayes, ect.