Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 PM
vbradley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building Top Flite Corsair 60

The wing took me 3 months. Unless you've got LOTS of time on your hands, DON'T go for the Retracts. But if you do, get the small safety wire (from www.bvmjets.com) to clamp on all the air hose fittings, cuz they'll leak real bad & drain your airtank in a couple of minutes if you don't clamp them somehow. I put a drop of CA to hold them in place after I did a water submersion pressure check on the lines.
Also, the TopFlite manual doesn't give you any clue about how to make your wheel-wells. I got some 1/64th inch birch plywood cuz it bends real sharp and made my wheelwells with that and some silicone sealant. I'm finally up to construction manual page 21 on mine. Halfway thru the fuselage and scratchin my head over how to do this stupid cockpit kit. TopFlite's instructions have no pictures of how the thing goes into the fuselage. Kind of sucky instructions. Regarding monokote...DON'T. Learn to do fiberglass, it'll be WAY stronger and better looking. Specially if you had to sand the balsa real thin in places.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:17 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Has anyone used the Super Tigre .75 2-stroke engine in their corsair and if so will it fit completely in the cowling. It is .04" taller than the .61 and the .61 fits nicely. I am modifying mine a lot and then glassing it. So it will weigh more. I wanted more power so I got the .75.

Thanks

Gibbs
Old 12-31-2006, 04:13 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 2 stroke .75 in my very 1st Top Flite Corsair, I think it was a Super Tiger. It had plenty of power, but I really like the swinging bigger props with these planes so I eventually installed a 4 stroke .91.

I DO believe the .75 was completely enclosesd in the cowl.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
NCIS

CorsairJock,

I have a .91 that is just sitting around and also a 1.20 waiting for a home. They are both Magnum 4-strokes. I bought the Corsair for the 1.20 but I would have to cut the cowling and I want to keep it as scale as I can. This is my practice model for my Top Flite Giant Corsair that I'm putting a Zenoah G62 in. I will start on the Corsair as soon as I finish up a few little details on my 1/4 scale Super Cub. I will post pictures and maybe we can keep this thread alive. What brand of .91 did you put in yours and how much did the cowling have to be cut? Your posts on mods are great by the way. I plan on following them, and others! Thanks for the very helpful thread!!!

Gibbs
Old 12-31-2006, 06:10 PM
CorsairJock

I used a Saito .91. The valve covers protruded from the cowl with that engine.
My more recent/ current Top Flite Corsair has a Saito .82 in it. The valve covers are pretty much flush with the cowl, I have cut holes in the cowl for them to allow valve adjustments without having to remove the cowl. The Saito .82 is a very remarkable engine: it seems to have as much power as the .91, but it will not swing quite as big of a prop as the .91 will: the .91 is comfortable with a Master Airscrew 3 blade 14 x 7, while the .82 is more comfortable with a Master Airscrew 3 blade 13 x 8.
Either one hauls my fully loaded Corsair (2 Vortac bomb drops, 3 wheel retracts, flaps) around good enough for me for scale flying. It ain't no skyrocket, but neither is a full scale.

If you don't want the engine sticking out, the choices are:
1) most .75, maybe even some .90 size 2 strokes will fit entirely inside the cowl, BUT you will need an aftermarket muffler.
2) The Saito .82 will not protrude from the cowl, but clearance holes will need to be cut for the valve covers. With the proper Saito exhaust pipe, the stock muffler can be pretty much hidden within the cowl also.
3) Have you heard of RCV engines? They are an unusual 4 stroke design that thgat can EASILY fit entirely inside a cowl, even up to a 1.20 size. A few readers here at RCU have encountered great success with these engines, but I have not tried one yet.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:27 PM
NCIS

CorsairJock,

I am familiar with them as you are but haven't tried one yet. How long have they been making that design and how good are they? I've never heard good or bad. If the Saito 91 sticks out then the Magnum 91 will stick out even farther as it as all Magnums are larger than Saitos. I'll try the 75, I just ordered it yesterday from Tower. What size 3 blade prop will it swing and does Solo make one for the 2 strokes?

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 12-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

It should fit. I had a ST90 in mine and it fit entirely in the cowl. Use a slimline large volumn pitts muffler if you can. It gives the ST's a nice low growl that sounds cool. Make sure you use the baffle in the cowl or your engine will over heat.
Edwin
Old 12-31-2006, 07:15 PM
NCIS

Everybody,

Where can I get the tail wheel retract for this plane? I want a Century Jets retract for it but they don't have one listed on their web site. Does Robart make one for this plane?

Edwin,

Are you talking about a 2-stroke ST90?

Gibbs
Old 01-01-2007, 08:17 AM
CorsairJock

WHOA There, total momentary loss of brain functions there (on my part). I forgot to mention one other possible way to make the motor COMPLETELY concealed within the cowl: ELECTRIC POWER!

What makes this momentary lapse so un-forgivable is the fact that I have an electric powered Hangar 9 Corsair. And recently, a person named Rob Shaffer (spelling?) completed and flew an electric powered Top Flite Corsair, complete with retracts, flaps, and all sorts of scale details.

Electric power is now possible with just about ANY plane that has been designed for 'glow power'. Reason: LiPo batteries have revolutionized electric powered flight. They are so light and powerful, that just about any (maybe even any) plane can be built with electric power, and weigh no more than it's fuel powered counterpart (maybe even less), and have simular performance with flight times exceeding 12 minutes per charge. And hi quality brushless motors with ESCs can be had for less than the cost of a simular sized 4 stroke. And you can use any type of paint you want to finish the plane, because the electric motors do no leave oil and exhaust residue behind as the fuel powered ones do.

Many consider buying the batteries to be the worst part: they should cost between $150 ~ $200 for a set which should last at least 2 years before needing replacement (based on my experience). But how much would one spend on fuel during that period?

And then there is the reliability factor: a properly setup electric powered plane will likely NEVER loose power un-expectedly.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Edwin

Yes, I'm talking about the ST 2-stroke .90. A ST.75 should work also.
Edwin
Old 01-01-2007, 01:46 PM
NCIS

Edwin,

I was looking under the spec's for the two engines and the 90 is a little taller than the 75. It will work so thank you for your feedback.

CorsairJock,

I don't like electric because you don't know when your out of juice. I like glow because I usually fly 15 to 20 minutes. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 01-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Rob Schaffer

Here's my TF corsair 60 with Electric Power,... AXI 4130/16 with 6S Lipos. Robart Retracts, Cockpit, Flaps, Nice stable flyer with two 6-7 minute flights per battery charge,.. or one 12 minute flight with reserve. Search for the build thread if you are interested more about the build or the power system. You can pick up a good AXI system from SkyShark RC or Hobby Lobby.

To determine time,.. make a nice flight and then monitor the charge back into the pack. You can determine the rate of battery consumption and then determine your available time,.. subtract a minute or two in order to be conservative if you have some "go-arounds".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30697.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	588236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84521.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	588237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30201.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	588238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qg63729.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	588239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj86954.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	588240  
Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 PM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

WHOA There, total momentary loss of brain functions there (on my part). I forgot to mention one other possible way to make the motor COMPLETELY concealed within the cowl: ELECTRIC POWER!

What makes this momentary lapse so un-forgivable is the fact that I have an electric powered Hangar 9 Corsair. And recently, a person named Rob Shaffer (spelling?) completed and flew an electric powered Top Flite Corsair, complete with retracts, flaps, and all sorts of scale details.

Electric power is now possible with just about ANY plane that has been designed for 'glow power'. Reason: LiPo batteries have revolutionized electric powered flight. They are so light and powerful, that just about any (maybe even any) plane can be built with electric power, and weigh no more than it's fuel powered counterpart (maybe even less), and have simular performance with flight times exceeding 12 minutes per charge. And hi quality brushless motors with ESCs can be had for less than the cost of a simular sized 4 stroke. And you can use any type of paint you want to finish the plane, because the electric motors do no leave oil and exhaust residue behind as the fuel powered ones do.

Many consider buying the batteries to be the worst part: they should cost between $150 ~ $200 for a set which should last at least 2 years before needing replacement (based on my experience). But how much would one spend on fuel during that period?

And then there is the reliability factor: a properly setup electric powered plane will likely NEVER loose power un-expectedly.
You forgot one slightly small disadvantage to electric: QUIET AS A GHOST. In a high speed pass that puppy will go zzzzzzzzzzzzz past you. Not rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrROARrrrrrrrrrrr.

Just thought I'd add that little bit
Old 01-01-2007, 02:02 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: NCIS
CorsairJock,

I don't like electric because you don't know when your out of juice. I like glow because I usually fly 15 to 20 minutes. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks,
Gibbs
Many of us use a timer on our transmitter to determine about how much time we have left. Even if you don't use a timer, you can tell when the batteries are running low because power will begin to decrease. In most cases, this leaves you about a minute or so to land before the battery discharges too far, unlike a fuel motor which will simply quit when it runs out of fuel.

20 minutes of flight time would be possible with bigger batteries, just as a larger fuel tank makes flight times longer for fuel powered planes. My experience, and 'ediquette' at most flying fields dictates that a 12 minute flight is on the high side of normal. I know that my Corsairs would run out of fuel if I attempted a 20 minute flight, using the stock and/ or recommended tank.

So, if you don't like electrics, you should come up with a better excuse.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:17 PM
NCIS

CorsaiJock,

I agree with you about the etiquette issue. When I'm not alone at the field I usually only fly 10 minutes but this is rare. I am semi retired and fly from 1pm to 4pm. The retired guys fly early in the morning and the working ones fly after 4. I like to be able to fly as much as I want without up setting the apple cart. I like the other flyer's and enjoy spending time with them but I'd rather be alone sometimes. I also like the sound of the glow or gas rather than the quiet electric. I guess it's just not for me. I do use a timer. I fly a fully fueled plane until it runs out of fuel and then dead stick it in. I note the time and then reduce fight time by several minutes.

Gibbs
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: voyager_663rd
You forgot one slightly small disadvantage to electric: QUIET AS A GHOST. In a high speed pass that puppy will go zzzzzzzzzzzzz past you. Not rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrROARrrrrrrrrrrr.
Just thought I'd add that little bit
However, there are sound systems being made which are being installed on electric powered warbirds, that make them sound more realistic than any fuel powered one. I just wish I could afford one. They use samples from full scale P&W 2800s, and have realistic sounding startup, transition to idle, and to 'full bore' as throttle is increased.

Like I said: I just wish I could afford one.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Edwin

All though I'm not into electric too much, a buddy here at work helped his daughter do a sound science project for school. He got a sound chip (his words not mine) from radio shack that was pretty cheap. He isnt the most electrically inclinded person in our group (s/w). He said it was easy to build and setup. They recorded a dog barking and triggered it with a garage type photo cell setup to scare cats out of the garage. Might be applicable to rc.
Edwin
Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 AM
CorsairJock

Hopefully, this link will work. TURN UP THE SOUND on your computer, ALL THE WAY UP!
http://media.putfile.com/Corsair-wit...rdon-Whitehead
Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 PM
NCIS

CorsairJock,

You got me on this one. I surrender. I am not easily impressed but that was fantastic. I am a true blue gas or glow man, but you may have just changed that a little. I might try that in a future build. I can't believe how great that sounded and the realism. How many $$$$$$$$
you think a whole set up like that woud cost? I know it's going to be outrageous.

Thanks for education,
Gibbs
Old 01-02-2007, 06:07 PM
voyager_663rd

Impressive. Thanks for the link [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Rob Schaffer

Speakers (2), Amplifier, Programmed system and Additional battery pack runs about $300 US dollars with shipping from Germany. Works by a "Y" harness on the throttle channel and is mounted in the nose of the airplane just in-front of the firewall. Looked at it pretty intensly till I saw the price,.. Adds about 1lb to the nose too, so you have to move stuff back in the plane to keep her balanced.

Someday,....
Old 01-03-2007, 09:42 AM
CorsairJock

If anyone wants to know more about the sound system, here is the thread that tells all about it and where to get the stuff:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573

As for price: I had considered using just 1 speaker: pointed downward and angled forward. This would reduce cost and weight. Probably the biggest factor that keeps me from getting one tho: we need a U.S. distributor, willing to put together a complete package. When that happens, I will probably order one.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:04 PM
NCIS

CorsairJock,

That sounds like a good plan. I'm with you on a complete package. Otherwise I would be lost. I don't know anything about electronic devices.

Gibbs
Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
US185Damiani

Hey Those big props electrics spin more than sound awesome they make very realistic noises! LOL
Old 01-04-2007, 08:06 PM
NCIS

Hey Everyone,

I want to put a Solo propeller on my engine and I'm using a Super Tigre .75. I was wondering if I can use a larger diameter propeller if I decrease the pitch. Or is it supposed to be the other way around. The engine spec's say to use a 13x6 and I want to use a 14" or 15" propeller. Can I do this or is it impossible to change pitch to get the diameter larger? What would the results be?

Thanks,

Gibbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.