Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 06:34 PM
robbtennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnny thank you my friend you're a life saver!
Old 04-14-2020, 07:48 PM
robbtennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I have the red box instructions I realize how minimalist they are leaving room for mistakes. After finishing the fuse I'm starting the wings but can't decide how to proceed because my front section spars do not align whatsoever. I assume they taper as would the rear spars. But I don't want to epoxy these vital pieces just to find out I was wrong. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance, Robb

Old 04-15-2020, 03:01 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robbtennis
Now that I have the red box instructions I realize how minimalist they are leaving room for mistakes. After finishing the fuse I'm starting the wings but can't decide how to proceed because my front section spars do not align whatsoever. I assume they taper as would the rear spars. But I don't want to epoxy these vital pieces just to find out I was wrong. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance, Robb
There is a lot of sanding to be done to round the leading edge, so there may be excess material (wood) in some places.
I an in the process of rebuilding a wing, and will be making a scratch built leading edge because I think a good strong leading edge is crucial in this model, as important as the main spark (at least to the landing gear bays). I will add another post either today or tomorrow with more details and pics.
BTW, the fuselage for this model is being converted from Saito power to electric power, same system used in the Freewing 1600mm Corsair.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:55 AM
jagdpanther9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! i was just reading through this thread and as i got to the end i am amazed to find that it is still alive! i am just setting up to build my TF gold corsair .60 kit with a dle 20ra engine. and i think i am using the eflite .60- 120 retracts and struts unless there is a better solution for electrics. Do you or anyone remember how many rolls of covering this model takes? im goung with the hangar9 corsair blue...( i think)
Old 08-25-2020, 01:39 PM
jmdunstan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacement canopy for Top Flite Corsair 60

As a builder, I am dismayed that Horizon has discontinued almost all airplane kits, including the Top Flite Gold Edition Corsair 60. When I built my last one, I was able to build it completely from the plans and the salvaged die-cut sheets from the last kit. I used a salvaged canopy from the previous Corsair. Since then, I have been looking for a source that can produce these canopies, but have not found one. I would appreciate any tips on how to procure additional replacement canopies.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:48 PM
jagdpanther9

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got this one off ebay and it is a good replacement and decent price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canopy-for-...gAAOSwMEtaftZo

this is for the 60cc not the .60

Last edited by jagdpanther9; 08-25-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:33 PM
jwalk2c
My Feedback: (47)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmdunstan
As a builder, I am dismayed that Horizon has discontinued almost all airplane kits, including the Top Flite Gold Edition Corsair 60. When I built my last one, I was able to build it completely from the plans and the salvaged die-cut sheets from the last kit. I used a salvaged canopy from the previous Corsair. Since then, I have been looking for a source that can produce these canopies, but have not found one. I would appreciate any tips on how to procure additional replacement canopies.
Your welcome.
I always took it for granted that there would be kits to build.
I have such fond memories of time spent in hobby shops looking at kits on shelves.
But there are pre-owned kits to be found. And some manufacturers are producing as well
Here is a canopy that is the size of the one used in a Red Box Corsair
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHHSU and it's painted!
Also, try park flyer plastics.
https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/i...ex&cPath=46_67
Old 08-25-2020, 03:53 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmdunstan
I've been flying the 63" span Motion R/C Freewing Corsair lately, this is a WONDERFUL ARF, and it comes in 2 version: 'Birdcage canopy' F4U-1 and 'Bubble canopy' F4U-1 D, canopies for both versions are available for very reasonable price, and are very accurate 1/8 scale, same as Top Flite.