Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:44 PM
rcman08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Nevermind on my above question. Figured it out. Here is the problem I have. I installed the top deck mount and shaped it accordingly to the fuselage as stated in the book. After I finished, just for ha, ha's I placed the canopy on the fuselage to see how things look and low and behold the canopy has a much greater curve at the top than my deck block has. Is this normal? If I press down on the canopy with a little pressure, it will form to my deck block. Is that how it's done or did I shape the deck block wrong somehow? I didn't take anything off the top while sanding so I could finish shape it once the sides of it were done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40917.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1177989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34957.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1177990  
Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You just need more radius on the spine of the fuselage.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:51 PM
n6iap

I know that this is an old forum but does anyone know where I can get this prop hub for the 60 size Corsair with a Saito 90R3?

Thanks,

jimm
Old 10-31-2009, 04:31 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: n6iap

I know that this is an old forum but does anyone know where I can get this prop hub for the 60 size Corsair with a Saito 90R3?

Thanks,

jimm
http://www.tru-turn.com/
Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 PM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

Hello guys,
First off a little about me...I've been flying for over 20 years, I've flown many planes, and built many planes.

I am building the top flite corsair 60. I have the wing about done and what a PAIN IN THE BUTT sheeting this wing has been. I have a few questions for anyone that has built this plane.

First off... I went with just the one alieron servo in the center of the wing. Will that be a problem? I have the sheeting on the wing now, so if I change it up will I need to pull of most of the sheeting to route the wires? or should I go with the one servo? Is anyone flying this plane with one alieron servo?

I have the robart retracts and the sheeting around where the wheels sit in the wing is a very weak set up, any tips on making the sheeting stronger? I may try and add some ribs under the sheeting for support, and build something round to support the wheel hole in the wing. By the way how in the heck do you sheet the wing behing the wheels? There's no ribs to glue the sheeting to, and the wood bends and breaks. The wood is so hard to get in place. On one side I got so pissed with the sheeting, I did my best to get the sheeting glued on, and just cut out the opening for the wheel. Now it needs support.

I have an OS 60 I am going to put in it. Will that be enough? If anyone can give me any tips please let me know. That's all I can think of for now. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 PM
CorsairJock

My first 1 had a lone aileron servo in the middle: no problems. Personal prefference is now 1 servo per aileron, because they are easier to setup, and have much shorter linkage, and therefor are more consistant and resistant to temp changes.

A good .60 should do it, IF you keep it light. My second one had a Saito .72 powering it. Even with retract and flaps: it only weighed 8 1/2 lbs, and the Saito was able to fly it very scale like.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 AM
RC flyer 2

Hi Rick

I built one of these and it is a great flying plane. I initially flew it with a Supertigre 61, flew fine. after many flights, I took off and a cross wind grabed it and as I recovered, I flew it into a fence post and destroyed the wing. I built I new wing. When I did, I changed the servo setup for the ailerons by putting srevos in the wings and put in a Supertigre 91.

Here are my thoughts:

Servo in the wing: Works fine and if I didn't smash the wing, would be using this set-up today. I would use carbon fiber flex rod instead of the plastic due to expansion/contraction in hot weather. (Sullivan rods) I attached a picture of my old setup.

Wheel well: Yes, it is weak, I strengthen this up by gluing in 1/16 balsa sheet to for the well going from skin to skin.. See the picture..Takes time but works well. I also installed hatches for access to the flap servos.

Engine: I had the same retracts, cockpit kit, etc. Flew fine, make sure you balance this plane correctly!! I can over emphisize this. I was slightly tail heavy the first time and was lucky to get it back down in one piece. Once corrected it was fine.

My inital posts showing more pictures of my almost completed, not covered model are in this thread, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...key_/tm.htm#72 (page #3. posts 71 thru 74)

Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Sniper68

Hi, I'm building my first .60 warplane, the TFCorsair and saw your mod in the post regarding the ailons. I like this option and was wondering did you use the same size Servo'sin the kit. I plan on using Futaba S3004's. Or did you use different sizes for your mod.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Futaba 3004's will be fine.

Pete
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Sniper68

Hi, I'm building my first .60 warplane...
Welcome to the "real world" Sniper ! Let's call it a warbird
Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM
mike1974

Hi guys,

I do not post often, but read alot. I just wanted to say how great this thread is! I just received my TF Gold Edition Corsair 60 kit yesterday! Woo hoo! I will start building her verysoon. I will be using a Saito FA 100. I think I will be going with the Wingspan retracts. A fellow member of my club cured me of ever wanting to mess around with pnuematic retracts last year. I saw a few belly landings and lots of messing around with the air lines.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
mike1974

I do actually have one question. Where do you get the blade and prop hub that is shown on the TF website? I cannot seem to find anything like this. http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0101b.jpg
Old 06-29-2013, 07:20 AM
HoverLoW

Hey guys,

I bought this kit from a store that had it in stock for a long time.

The dude sold me it very cheap and it is the old version yet. Not the revised one.

However, mine came without the plans. It seems someone had taken it off the kit no one knows when.

I'm from Brazil.

Please, could someone that has this plans laying around take a copy and send it my way here?

I can refund everything you spend and if want to sell me it for a fair price, I also can pay for it.

Thanks.

Eduardo.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 AM
G-JIMG

This thread has been running for some years now and started with a guy who was building the Corsair early in his RC career. There was a general feeling that the Corsair should be the 4th or even 5th aircraft.

I've built, and am flying, a PT-40 High Wing Trainer with an OS-46.
I'm building a Sig 4 Star 40 but modifying it (balsa cowl, turtle deck, etc.) to improve my building skills. It too will have an OS-46 and I'll fly it when I'm ready for a low wing aircraft.
I have an RV-4 kit that I intend building with Flaps and will Glass & Paint, again to improve my building skills. It will have an OS-55 and will hopefully extend my flying skills with a low wing aircraft and introduce me to flying with Flaps.
Finally, I have a TF GE 60 Corsair Kiton whichI intend embodying many of the Mods detailed on this site (thanks Corsair Jock, Luke, Chad, Rocket Man, etc. etc.......), but as a Royal Navy variant. It will have an RCV120, retracts, etc.

Does this sound like a sensible route towards eventually owning and flying a Corsair?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 PM
diastole

Default Re-Activitaing the thread

Restarting the activity on this thread.
Is anyone building the TF Corsair Gold Edition 60?
I have started on the Wings. A lot of the early problems, 10 years ago, in this thread have been addressed either thru manual or plan changes. Or, some of the suppliers changed their designs. Also, many of the "fixes" are no longer available.
The thread can continue!
Will
Old 12-24-2014, 03:18 PM
lefttackle64

reading your post on putting the servos in wing on your f4u corsair you built. like the idea I know it looks like you built a while back but if you have any more pictures of the installation would be helpful also any other tips too what thickness ply did you and just on the inside of rib and placement of your shear webs and size of servos
Old 02-26-2015, 09:23 AM
grind2tenths
My Feedback: (17)

I know this is a very old thread and I have tried to read thru most of it. I have aqquired on that is partially built. Has anyone tried powering one of these with a 20 cc gas engine and which electric retracts work best for this airframe. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:10 AM
rcman08

Hi there. Wondering if you can help here. I'm finally going to finish up my 60 size top flite corsair kit this winter and am looking for ideas on how to construct wheel wells for the retractable landing gear. Any ideas or pics? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:04 AM
CorsairJock

Originally Posted by rcman08
Hi there. Wondering if you can help here. I'm finally going to finish up my 60 size top flite corsair kit this winter and am looking for ideas on how to construct wheel wells for the retractable landing gear. Any ideas or pics? Thanks in advance.
There is no 'trick' to it, the full scale Corsairs have everything exposed/ all natural. That is: there is no 'bowl', 'bucket', or whatever you want to call it where the wheels go. What you see is the underside of the upper wing skin and ribs, plus maybe some hydraulic lines/ wires/ etc. If you are not going to install functional landing gear doors, cut a round hole slightly bigger than the wheels where they go into the wing. If you are going to install gear doors, a squared hole is needed.
Either way, there is nothing to 'construct' unless toy want to scale it out and add 'hydraulic lines and misc 'hardware'.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pag18.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	2138198  

Last edited by CorsairJock; 12-28-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:59 AM
GIJon
My Feedback: (118)

Default Robart Retract Install

This is an old thread, but looking for some info. I picked up a TF GE Corsair 60 in a trade deal. I have a set of Robart retracts and struts to replace the fixed gear this was built with. I have removed the fixed gear and am ready to modify the wing. I was able to get the assembly manual, but it gives very little info on retract installation.
Before I cut into the wing for the wheel wells, I need to know a few things.
1 - how long should the retract be? (center of axle to center of pivot pin)
2 - the rails that the fixed gear was mounted to seem to be too low in the wing. I'm thinking 1/4" hardwood or plywood would be used to build that up.
3 - when cutting out the wheel wells, will I have to remove some rib material as well?

Thank you for any help and guidance.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 AM
CorsairJock

Originally Posted by GIJon
This is an old thread, but looking for some info. I picked up a TF GE Corsair 60 in a trade deal. I have a set of Robart retracts and struts to replace the fixed gear this was built with. I have removed the fixed gear and am ready to modify the wing. I was able to get the assembly manual, but it gives very little info on retract installation.
Before I cut into the wing for the wheel wells, I need to know a few things.
1 - how long should the retract be? (center of axle to center of pivot pin)
2 - the rails that the fixed gear was mounted to seem to be too low in the wing. I'm thinking 1/4" hardwood or plywood would be used to build that up.
3 - when cutting out the wheel wells, will I have to remove some rib material as well?

Thank you for any help and guidance.
It's been a LOOONG Time, I have done the conversion before. You will have to cut the holes in the wings for the wheels first. And yes, I believe you will have to cut into some ribs. The wheel wells should be as far back as possible/ close to the flaps. Best to trial fit the retracts after you cut out the wheel wells, and determine how long struts should be. I alsos use some shim material (3 deg mage from Ernst Motor shims) to angle the retracts slightly forward. One problem I ran into is airline kinking at the front side of the retracts: the lines need a little room to move. I applied some very smooth tape to the inside of the wing skin in that area to allow easier movement. Hope this helps
Old 03-24-2020, 12:28 PM
robbtennis

Default Missing Instructions

Does anyone on this wonderfully informative thread happen to have or know where to find a TF red box Corsair build instruction booklet? I bought a kit from eBay and found the manual missing so I'm stuck until I can find one.

Thank you all in advance,

Robb
Old 03-30-2020, 07:03 PM
jwalk2c
My Feedback: (47)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robbtennis
Does anyone on this wonderfully informative thread happen to have or know where to find a TF red box Corsair build instruction booklet? I bought a kit from eBay and found the manual missing so I'm stuck until I can find one.

Thank you all in advance,

Robb
I can email it to you,
Its a small zip file.
I have 2 of the kits and both were missing instructions. I downloaded the file before Horizon took down the Top Flite web site.
Johnny Walker
The following users liked this post:
robbtennis (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 07:16 PM
robbtennis

Originally Posted by jwalk2c
I can email it to you,
Its a small zip file.
I have 2 of the kits and both were missing instructions. I downloaded the file before Horizon took down the Top Flite web site.
Johnny Walker
Johnny that would be amazing thank you! I'm trying to build the fuse right now but the gold directions are for a kit with different parts which is challenging. The actual red box manual would be very helpful. I really appreciate your help! My email is: [email protected]

Thanks, Robb

Old 03-31-2020, 12:42 PM
jwalk2c
My Feedback: (47)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Manual Redbox Corsair Top Flite RC-21

Here is the manual for RC-21
Zip file attached.
Johnny Walker

Attached Files
File Type: zip
rc21-manual.zip (2.27 MB, 97 views)
The following users liked this post:
robbtennis (04-14-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.