Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

glassing p47

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 PM
parkerspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glassing p47

I'm about ready to glass my .60 TF p47. I have seen both .5oz and .75 oz glass recommended. Of course the .5 oz will save on weight but do I give up a lot of strength or is the difference negligible? i am going to use J Hauntley 's polyurethane method found on RC Warbirds. Looks simple and great instructions.

And also I plan on ordering the glass from a non-hobby store and save about 50%, how many yards will I need? I think less than 5 yards but I don't know.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: glassing p47

The glass isnt for strength. Its purpose is to give a good surface for the finish. And it does an excellent job on that. If you can get the .5 oz then go for it. Sometimes its not available and I use the .75 or .6 oz. The planes I glass are bigger so the difference isnt gonna kill me. It might not matter on a .60 size either. Somebody else might no better than I. I will be using all latex on my current project. My last used Baer outside primer on the glass with coverite spray can over it. That paint stuck like snot on your finger.
Edwin
Old 02-10-2005, 08:24 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: glassing p47

i plan on glassing my TF Sea Fury with .5 oz and using polyurethane instead of poxy

there are lots of posts on this particular technique, you can even use the poxy as the first
coat and finish up with the poly mixed with powder to fill the cloth... its strong & light