Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

VQ Me 109 E Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ Me 109 E Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:16 PM
KentuckyColonel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: VQ Me 109 E Build Thread

Great video. I just got some parts from VQWarbirds for mine. After four or five flights a day, four or five days a week for the past several months, she's going in for a makeover. I plan to swap out the engine. My Thunder Tiger Pro .46 just isn't what she used to be. I also plan on recovering her. She's had more than one rock kick up through the bottom surfaces and the rudder and elevator needs some new skin. I have been talked into attempting to glass the wings, and have flip flopped on that idea several times. Anyway, as I said, great video. How about some video of that dead stick? As I said, I deadsticked on my maiden and she glides much better than I was led to believe.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Luxuswaffe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Oberst:

The movie is actually made from several videos that I cut together. The part with the dead stick gliding is not on file because I was flying myself. Most of the video is flown by by pal Jim. I leaned the engine too far out. Power is great. Thinking of putting a Jett muffler on and gain another 2000 rpm. Calculated speed at ground measured 11400 rpm is about 107 mph. At 13400 rpm the speed would theoretically translate to 126 mph. 10x10 APC. Robart air retracts.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Luxuswaffe

Now I still have my brand new MVVS .61 on the shelf. According to MVVS the engine will turn a 13x9 at >12000.

Kyosho just recently brought up a nicely detailed 50-size FW 190A. The cowl would easily swallow that .61 monster.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:27 PM
merc 1

just got the 109 last week nice warbird the instructions are a scream. dont know if i will fit retracts or not ,can anyone suggest good mechanical retracts?if so what size? a brand new asp 70 4 stroke is going up front i dont want to butcher the nice cowl trying to fit a 2 stroke in . the canopy broke my heart with the stickers for the frame i weathered it with silver paint to look battled scared hope to have her finished in two weeks and flying !
Old 08-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Luxuswaffe

Hello merc 1:

If you don't want to spend on the pneumatic retracts try the Robart 608/609HD mechanical retracts. In the States they are merely $40 (<30 Euro). I also could send you the couple mechanical retracts that came in my box but I am not sure if I still have them. The Robarts have always been my favorites and never left me alone. Take the 3/16th wire struts. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
KentuckyColonel

Okay, I just rewatched your video. Mine has been hangared for a while now in need of new covering on the tail. My old Thunder Tiger Pro .46 I have in her has seen better days and is going to be replaced. I always enjoyed this plane and the fact that it has been patiently awaiting repairs has gone on long enough. Assembly of my 120 size P-51 has taken priority, but, I think I'll have to put it on hold for a few hours and get the 109 air-worthy again. I might have to throw some retracts into her too....
Old 08-30-2008, 02:31 AM
merc 1

thanks for the offer luxuswaffe but i think iwill take your advice on the robarts they would appear to be the rolls royce of reteacts
Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Luxuswaffe

I had a great Sunday flying day today. Took the 109 5 times to the air. Everyting just works like a clock work: Retracts, engine etc. Flight stability is exceptional. Just flipped her over on my last flight since I could not visually distinguish the asphalt strip from the bordering grass field. Broke the rudder but glued the segregated balsa with CA for a quick fix.

I am currently building on a giant scale Mitsubishi Zero: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_74...tm.htm#7479999

and a Kyosho FW-190:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69...tm.htm#7927651

Old 09-14-2008, 09:50 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased the original winter version of this plane last year but I never put it together as I do not like this color scheme (the last picture). There is something about the black lines that takes away from the aircraft. Sometimes I look at it and say it is ok but most times I just don't like it. I think it is more the fuse than the wings.

So I decided to paint mine. I am using Warbird Colors paint. The covering on this plane really like the paint.

Here is where I am at and I need to add additional coats of yellow and blue before she is done and I have to paint the bottom of the wing blue. I am also masking off the canopy and will airbrush that. The first picture is what I am trying to do the others are my plane.

I also have the new summer camo version but I am not putting that one together until I get this one done.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45542.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1033600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82605.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1033601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97675.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1033602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48098.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1033603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82724.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1033604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hx32388.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1033605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kn99954.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1033606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67883.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1033607  

Old 09-14-2008, 10:20 PM
KentuckyColonel

Well, it was bound to happen eventually, and last Friday it did. I had recovered the tail feathers, and swapped out engines on the Bf 109 and took her up to check her out. I left the cowl off, as the engine needed a little "at the field" adjustments. I got her running like a champ and decided to take her up. The flight went great. The new engine proved to be a good fit, and I was already thinking about cutting into the new cowl I had ordered from Tomas at VQ Warbirds . I made my approach as usual, and then thought the engine died on me. No problem, I had, as you might know from my thread on RC Groups, done a bunch of dead sticks with the plane and she glides forever. I goosed the throttle, just a bit, and heard the engine rev....I guess I did get the idle down low earlier. I again throttled back and set her up for a landing. She was a little low, but I figured that I'd touch down a few feet onto the runway. Well, I figured wrong. She touched down a few feet short of the runway. When she did, instead of rolling out, as I expected, she must of hit a rock and kind of hip-hopped up and dropped a wing. The wing tip caught the ground and then the wing ripped out of the fuselage. The plane would be repairable, but she has a few hundred flights on her, and frankly, I just don't feel like messing around with repairs on her again. So, after several months and hundreds of flights, the Bf 109 will no longer grace the skies above Black Starr Field in Orange County. Maybe now I'll get the assembly of my Richmodels 120 P-51 completed. After that, I think I might just need to order a VQ FW 190 from Tomas, or maybe a Kyosho FW 190! I mean, after all, I have a Rx, battery, and a bunch of servos looking for a new home now.....
Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Luxuswaffe

Hello Colonel:

My condolesences to your loss! May she rest in peace.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Luxuswaffe

Bill:

Your outlines are great! Keep on going to paint the plane as you like. There are hundreds of paint schemes for the 109. Other than the RAF the Luftwaffe was free to use a camouflage that fitted best to the occupied territories. 8-(

I think thre was nothing to add to your thread. The 109 and for example the (biplane) Curtiss Hawk were contemporary planes of the early 30's. Keeping this in mind, the 109 was a superiority fighter and responsible for the "blitz (lightning)" victories.

For accurate paint schemes I can recommend the book "Messerschmitt Me 109" Vol. 1 by Histoire and Collections", ISBN 2-913903-08-8. French modlellers and publishers are doing the best job on scale modelling I have ever seen.

The "Pour Le Merite" or Blue Max (for the merits) as it is called in English is the ordre of Frederic the Great for loyal subjects. During The Great War (WW I) Immelmann (known from the Immelmann-turn) was the first to receive the Pour Le Merite for >8 victories over allied aircraft. However, when I overheard an interview with a former Luftwaffe pilot, he said the pilots were so brattish spoiled by Goering that they called themselves as the "Luxus (luxury) waffe (force)". That name sticked with me. Even Toyota calls its premium brand "Lexus".

Old 10-04-2008, 11:42 AM
ian51291

hi guys,ive just put together a vq 109 cant believe how easy and quickly it went together and how well it looks.i fitted the VQ retracts and had no problems with them.i found that like everyone else the instructions were a bit find out yourself, you just have to think before doing anything like fit the retracts before gluing the wings together makes life easier,im using a saito 62 and it has plenty of power its off the ground so quick and pulls it through the air really well,i opted for the german version which i think looks really good,it is such a nice model to fly.i will sort a video out soon .my next is the VQ focke wolfe but we dont have it yet in the uk maybe i will have order direct from VQ. keep em flying
Ian

Name:	Ig12659.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1045790  
Old 10-04-2008, 11:46 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

IAN,

I ship to the UK all the time... just email me for the details...

[email protected]

www.vqwarbirds.com

-CHEERS!

TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 AM
thebluemax

Looks good Ian... Congrats on the maiden....
Old 10-11-2008, 08:20 PM
The Raven

Hi Guys,

I've just pulled my VQ 109 out of the box and it's the earlier winter camo version.

Unlike those I've seen here mine runs a single aileron servo. Could this suggest mine is an earlier manufacture, noting mines been in the closet for well over a year? Looking at the wingspan and ailerons a standard HS-422 should be more than enough but if that's not enough (input please) I'll drop in a HS-475HB.

I have the factory retracts in plastic (not the alloy I've seen in this thread). The retract rods don't look like a good run so the advice given here is very welcome. Slicing open the wings to get the runs right looks to be the ideal solution.

Most of you have mentioned using 2 strokes. The box states a 70 4 stroke at the upper limit. I have a Magnum 80 but am now having reservations thinking it may over power the plane.....and the fuel tank is quite small. Would an ASP 61 be sufficient, noting I have one NIB?

I may try to post photos of my build....depending on how slow I take it.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
The Raven

Forgot to ask...

Those plastic retract wheel covers look pretty flimsy and the instructions are rather vague on the assembly.

I have pre-painted wheel covers (flimsy) and some larger flat unpainted sheet plastic in the same shape. Am I supposed to sandwich these together and trim to suit? It would be nice to have them but of all the planes I've had with them so far (one or two) I've never bothered.

Lastly, anyone have pics of an inverted four stroke setup. I'd like to get a vague idea of how much of it will hang out the cowl.....I much prefer hidden engines.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Luxuswaffe

Hello Raven,

I have the newer 109 version with 2 aileron servos plus I run them on 6V. But you should be fine with the standard servo on 4.8V. As is stated before, the retracts in the box are a rather wobbely solution. I replaced them with Robart air retracts after 2nd flight. No regrets. Never installed the wheel pans due to sidewinds. Engine: A .61 is fine. If you don't like to butcher the cowling for the 2-stroke then go ahead and use your 4-stroke. Just stick them in there upside down and put a larger tank in. Don't get shy over engine power. This bird likes the additional nose weight.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:46 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: Luxuswaffe

Hello Raven,

I have the newer 109 version with 2 aileron servos plus I run them on 6V. But you should be fine with the standard servo on 4.8V. As is stated before, the retracts in the box are a rather wobbely solution. I replaced them with Robart air retracts after 2nd flight. No regrets. Never installed the wheel pans due to sidewinds. Engine: A .61 is fine. If you don't like to butcher the cowling for the 2-stroke then go ahead and use your 4-stroke. Just stick them in there upside down and put a larger tank in. Don't get shy over engine power. This bird likes the additional nose weight.
OK, so the earlier version is single aileron servo. Not a problem for me.

I'll be using a 6V NiCad pack as I am changing out all the NiMh packs I've been using in some aircraft. The NiMh are good but the particular brand I use don't hold charge well.

Test fitting the retracts today found them to be quite rigid with no wobbles but the linkages will most likely get revised. Rechecked the wheel covers and will leave the final decision until later. Cross winds and/or gaps when retracted could cause funny things to happen.

The 80 does look like a nice fit, the rocker cover will extend out somewhat but that's acceptable. Muffler isn't a concern because I won't run one. The Magnum engines aren't very noisy without mufflers. Yes, inverted mount will be the go. Tried out several fuel tanks and didn't find anything that would fit well without running into the servo area. Anyone know of a Dubro tank that will go in with minimal mods?

Did you use the supplied pushrods? I generally replace them with 4/40 dubro stuff.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:57 PM
thebluemax

Raven,
I also have the original VQ BF-109 which has one aileron servo and the full length ailerons. I am using standard JR servo in mine, so any standard servo should be fine. I also have the newer version with the dual servos in the outer wing panels. So far that is the only difference I see between the two planes besides the color schemes.

I am putting an OS 70, 4 stroke in this one and was planning to put either a Saito 72 or Saito 80 in the other one. So I think the Magnum 80 should be fine. There is plenty of room in the nose for it. Somewhere I saw a post and his video where a guy had an OS 91 in there, which is way over powering the plane but it flew just fine.

The plastic retracts are the newer ones and according to Tomas they are better than the original metal ones that came with them. Some guys have used them with success and many have replaced them with the air types such Spring Airs and Robarts. I am going to try the new electric LADO retracts once I get them from Doug at LADO.

I did not like the color scheme on the green one so I have painted it with Warbirds colors paint. I have finished painting it but I have not taken any pictures since I did. The attached picture you see here is while I was still painting. I will take another when I finish putting her together and get the stencils on.

Here is a link to another post on the original one and there is a picture with a OS 70 in the nose.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4420568/anchors_4420568/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4420568]VQ 109 original link[/link]

Good luck

Name:	Zx72275.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1050050  
Old 10-11-2008, 11:57 PM
thebluemax

Raven,

I found the link of the video with the OS-91. Just realized when watching it, this OS-91 is the 2 stroke not the 4 stroke. Also, it is mounted sideways.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654531]VQ BF-109 with OS-91[/link]
Old 10-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Luxuswaffe

The 4/40 is way too heavy. If tou want to make your plane faster make her lighter i.e. with Golden Rod. For a bigger tank from Dubro or Great Planes you will have to hollow the space underneath the cowling with the Dremel tool. I can also recoomend the Flextank from Sullivan. The 14 and 16 oz will probably go straight in without major modifications. The 24oz is probably too big. How long do you want to stay airborne? The 24oz is enough to go from your place to Tasmania! 8-0

Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM
ian51291

hi guys,i too have the version with one servo in the wing im using a hitec77bb low profile which i had spare but i guess a standard one will do.the retracts are the standard ones and ive had no problems with them and i fly off a bumpy grass strip,the gear covers have been fine too,im using a saito 62 wich has enough power but i find that im on 3/4 to full throttle most of the time.here are some photo's

Name:	Sq46483.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1050205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38677.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1050206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40912.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1050207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45803.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1050208  
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 AM
thebluemax

Hi Ian,
Nice pictures of the plane and it looks like you have a beautiful flying field there too!!

Looks like she flies really well.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:15 PM
ian51291

Cheers blue max,
the field is also a public park we just use the bottom part of it,we put flags up to mark the strip out,you have to be carefull when you take off and land especially if your model has small wheels because it is really bumpy and uneven.ive finally done a video nothing special just flying around and a few passes,you can get to the video by this link www.youtube.com/ian51291 ignore the engine sound at the begining it was one of our club members decided to start his engine just as my partner started to film,BTW here is a picture for raven on the issue of mountinting a 4 stroke.
Ian

Name:	Ay73778.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1050366  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.