Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Does such a Warbird exist?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Does such a Warbird exist?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
yee-ha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does such a Warbird exist?

Hey everybody. I am looking for a Warbird ARF to be powered by my OS. 40 La, that I can be hand launched and land without gear. Does such a plane exist? To me the .40La is a great running engine, but will not fly a 40 size plane with any authority. Maybe a .25-.32 size plane? Thinking maybe Modeltech fun fighter P-51?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Does such a Warbird exist?

Yee-ha, I flew 1/12 scale combat as long as it was viable in my neck of the woods. After learning all the tweaks it took to be competitive my OS Max .25 FX’s where putting out the power of your LA40. I say this because in pylon racing here the say a LA40 can turn a 9x7 APC at 14K, well my OS Max .25FX’s will turn a 9x6 over 14.5K so they must be close in power. Anyway the biggest problem with combat was the hand launch. With a trimmed plane the hand launch was no big deal, a simple underhanded launch and away we go. But for new planes we needed a second person to be the launcher and finding someone with experience that wont launch straight into the ground was tough. I ended up buying a catapult and it works great. Towards the end of the scale combat (before all the planes started to look like open combat planes with a fuse) they were using some really good airfoils and hand launching was not as hazardous. But all that stuff is gone now.

In your case any light (32-45oz RTF) .25 size plane will do the trick. For a long time we used to use HOB .20 size P-51D’s with .30 engines. It took about two weeks to go mail box toflight box. We left the gear in to test fly then removed the gear and hand launched after that. Global had a copy of the HOB AT-6 in ARF for a number of years that would be perfect for you, they still sell parts but no kits. The HOB .049 kits have 1970 vintage airfoils and thus are very hard to hand launch.

These great planes offerings look interesting:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGJY8&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=9&I=LXRPX9

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=9&I=LXGJY9

Joe