Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Firebar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Larry
Is your pilot figure one of the OFFICERS and GENTLEMEN figures? I have painted several of them with POLY S water based paints from the LHS. It has no gloss so it works pretty well as long as you wash the pilot first.

Charlie
Old 07-16-2011, 02:21 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My trip to Warbirds Over Delaware was great, easy drive, great weather, good people, lots of warbirds. Thought I would give you just a sampling. Noah, the Tigercat is small compared to yours. But check out the B-26. Charlie, sorry I missed ya. Brian (P-40), was great talking with you and your Avenger as always has one great finish on it. It really looks great. Got some more wise tips after a close visual of yours of course. One thing, how/what did you do/use to put your rivets on? They really look fantastic. I'm still trying to do too much at one time. I'll get there. Chic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36196.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	1636030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61514.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	1636031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23434.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	1636032  
Old 07-16-2011, 02:23 PM
redtail

Some additional (special) shots.

Name:	Sq47324.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	1636033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39254.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	1636034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11864.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	1636035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99829.jpg
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	1636036  
Old 07-16-2011, 05:02 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chic,
Great shots thanks. Charlie, just so you know tha after seeing the Avenger Pix, I am hanging up my tools and going back to model railroading... I don't know which is better the Skyraider or the Avenger, both totally awesome.
Condo is sold and am going out to Arizona to check out the housing situation even though we can't move for 3 years.
On the Avenger front, all the airlines are run for the retracts and bomb bay doors, the servos are in and we will install the valves on Tuesday, fuel tank almost installed .
Also will try to start covering the elevator halves and rudder.

Later

LArry
Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 AM
redtail

Thanks Larry. By the way, can you post photos of your servo installation and air line run inside the fuse? Remember, you guys are still teaching "ME". Chic
Old 07-17-2011, 12:50 PM
lkahn4

Chic,
Will take photos and post Tuesday nite
Old 07-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Firebar

Chic
I am sorry that I didn't get to speak with you at WOD. We were pitted only 20 feet from the plane but I must have been out walking around when you were there. Brian's grey and white Avenger looks great as usual. He has been flying it for at least three seasons and it has flown at WOD at least two years. I always look forward to the hanger flying at WOD since it draws from all over and I get to renew acquaintances that I see only once a year. I will look forward to seeing Chic, Brian and I flying in an Avenger flight next year.
What do you think Larry. Do you want to get in on the Avenger flight?

Charlie
Old 07-17-2011, 04:11 PM
lkahn4

Charlie,
John and I are in if I haven't moved to Arizona by then. Great Skyraider kudos my friend

Larry
Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 AM
redtail

I'm certainly in, since it is after the Nats "Scale" Event next July. I hope I do well at the NATS and can bring some more Ko - Dos and hardware back for Charlie's design. I want to be like Noah when I grow up, Smile, I want some hardware for my AVENGER tooooo. Chic
Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 AM
butlern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Hardware," you say, Chic?

Charlie's Avenger (well mine, technically) won another trophy this weekend! "Pilot's Choice" award at the 2011 Warbirds Over Iowa event in Cedar Rapids, IA.

Too bad I have ZERO documentation... if I did, I might consider attending more scale meets (where doc's are required).

I'm starting work on the torpedo and drop mechanism today! Been putting that off for too long, and for no good reason.

I'm also hoping for some updates from you both, Chic and Larry. Post some pictures if you guys have been working this past week.

Noah
Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 AM
butlern

And preemptively, I also have to admit that again I have no pictures...

But I should also report that "Mrs. Iowa 2011" was in attendance (yes, Mrs., not Ms.)... and I was fortunate enough to have a photo taken with her during the awards ceremony!

As ever, I'll have to wait for pictures to get posted (by other people) elsewhere on the web in order to see anything!

Noah
Old 07-24-2011, 07:03 AM
redtail

Well alright Noah, more hardware to find a place in your workshop. But hanging out with Mrs. Iowa, that's what I'm talking about. But wait, what about her husband and your wife. Smile. I have just sheeted the other wing. There will be a bit of a delay, then back to working on the Avenger. I'd like to frame up the fuse next. Have a safe summer guys, its tooo hot out there to be fooling around with the heat. Chic
Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

I knew I should've hoofed it out to Cedar Rapids yesterday [X(] to see "Mr. Iowa" perform with his aircraft. Congrats Noah. Mrs. Iowa must have been so proud....although Mrs. Butler might not approve of such shenanigans as photo taking with attractive lady friends....I still want to see the pics though.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 AM
lkahn4

Hey Gang,
Here's the latest update on our build. Wed. we finally got the landing gear valve set and not easily I might add, we had usrchased the mains and tail wheel from Sierra and being his tail wheel is mechanical and the mains are air driven it was a bit of a challenge to get the 2 servos set to move the proper amount so that the tail wheel locked and the mains dropped at appx the same time.
If anyone is doing a build with the Sierra tail wheel we suggest that you cut a hatch in the bottom of the fuselage to have access to the servo that drives the tail wheel, if anyone needs a pix let me know and I'll be happy to post one.
The servos and mounting plate is just forward of the wing in the bomb bay compartment
This week is getting the bomb bay servo setup and then permanetly affixing the valve plate into the fuse as well as starting to cover the flaps ailerons and rudder, last week took much more time than we expected.

Happy Flying

Name:	Ig12597.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1645470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73149.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1645471  
Old 08-07-2011, 06:08 AM
redtail

Hey Larry, go ahead and post that photo of the tail wheel hatch. Would love to see it. Chic
Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 PM
butlern

OK, Mike.

Here's the first photo

Pics of me and Mrs. Iowa to follow soon...

Name:	Qo40019.jpg
Views:	1111
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1647159  
Old 08-10-2011, 02:06 PM
butlern

please disregard the left gear hanging down...

The oleo was sticking that day, which prevented the wheel from fully retracting into the wheel well!

RATS!!

Otherwise a very pretty picture of Charlie's design in action!
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM
redtail

Noah, my hero, the picture is just beautiful and motivating. Chic
Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 PM
lkahn4

Hey Noah,
Great shot, you're my idol

Larry
Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 AM
lkahn4

Hi Gang,
Here are the pix of the hatch we came up with for the Sierra tail wheel, we have a bit of strengthing to do on the fuse but it fits perfectly, we are trying to decide whether to use mini magnets or screws to hold it in place...
No work on the Avenger this past week as my build partner fell off his truck and damaged a few ribs.. hope to get back to it next week.
Condo is sold and now the packing begins.. going to look at an apartment with a basement and hope we get it, otherwise all my plane stuff goes to my mother in laws and that is NOT a fun place to store them
Would like to know what you guys think about attaching the hatch...

Larry

Name:	Sq46899.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1648193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84369.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1648194  
Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 AM
redtail

Larry, help me understand the purpose of the hatch. Will the hatch give you direct access to the tailwheel servo? Securing the hatch: Unless you are going to be in that area on a regular basis, I would use screws over magnets. I would thing the magnets would be used to areas that need constant access such as maybe a fuel/air filler hatch. Nice and very neat wood work. How are you going to strengthen that area? Chic
Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 AM
lkahn4

Hey Chic,
What actually predicated the need for the hatch was that the locking slide wasn't fulling engaged on the pin on the clevis and it opened up during setup so we needed to get into the fuselage to re-attach the clevis. It also had another advantage being that we had mounted the servo with a bolt so if it ever had to be removed it could be. Don't forget we are talking a mechanical tail wheel, servo actuated, not air driven.
We will probably use screws and will counter sink them flush with the hatch.
As for strengthening the fuselage, I am going to cut a piece of 1/16 balsa that will extend below the former looking at the pix (actually toward the top of the fuse right side up), and be notched around the stiffener, than epoxy that to a piece of G-10 and permanently glue that to the former and the inside of the fuselage. I don't think we will need it on the aft side but we'll see how the fwd feels after I get it in place.
As for counter sinking the screws, it depends on how I figure a way to have mounting blocks positioned, I am thinking dead center fwd to aft as the piece fits nice and tight.
I will try and take a better pix with my phone on Monday showing how the servo looks in the opening.

Larry
Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Firebar

Noah, The Avenger photo looks great. Those yellow stripes really stand out and must be a good aid while flying. Looking forward to the photos with Mrs. Iowa.

Larry, The building time available is a precious thing. I sounds like you have enough going on in your life. When you start doing the hatch reinforcing keep in mind that one ounce in the tail will equal about four ounces in the nose to counter balance it.

Charlie
Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 AM
butlern

Here's a video that was shot at the Northern Alliance Military Fly in event in Owatonna, MN, a few weeks ago... hopefully it'll serve as a bit of motivation for you guys to keep at those Avengers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTiVXoLDtUU

The radial was running well that day, and the flight was great, but I had to scrub the first landing attempt (I was pretty nervous flying in front of that crowd of top builders and pilots!).

Regards,

Noah
Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noah, you flew that Avenger great...all weekend. Great airplane, and I hope to build one soon. It was nice to finally meet you a NAMFI and put a name with an RCU I.D. Great plane, keep up the good work.

JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.