Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Fleet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

I got a PCS there.  Thankfully, it got scrubbed when it was found out what SAC was up too.

Ray W
Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
peter w h

Hey guys,

Wow thanks for all the kind words but believe me without the constant support, camaraderie and unselfish nature of everyone on this thread I would be in trouble.

I say to everyone who is building one of these beasts; it is no small task; stand up and take a bow and if you have been fortunate enoughto have made it to the finish, thenI believe that is the true mark of a craftsman.

Redtail,
I think I will have trouble enough just duplicating that suff for the other side let alone another set,, Whew.

Noah,
Like the gentleman said you paved the way.

Larry,
You don't have to sell your wife,,, take mine and I will give you a set. (ooohhh thats bad ,how do you delete this stuff).

Peter

Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Peter, trust me, I understand about all the trouble you would go through duplicating a set of metal struts, so I guess I will have to settle for using my temporary struts. Darn. I hope the scale judges will not downgrade me for having the struts installed during static judging and then having them documented as being removed for flight. Whew, glad I did not get toooooooo happy when I saw Peter's work and threw my temps away. Peter, you could tell us how you made the struts and what you made them with. OK, OK, please. Great work no matter, you are one #%&^ of a modeller. Larry, Shirley tends to support the hobby buttttttttt, for the right price, I'll throw her into the mix also. Smile. Chic
Old 03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
peter w h

Ok Redatail , when I dissasemble to fabricate the other side I will take detailed pictures of the components.

One thing that the pictures do not revile is the wing side (upper) mount is actualy a sliding pivot, this moves the fulcrum/pivot outward during retract action preventing contact between the new leg and front edge of the gear mount/housing at the legs center pivot.
A spring first prevents the break action and allows the slide action, once the slide is completed the strut then breaks in the correct direction from undercenter.

Peter
Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter,
What truly amazes is that you have accomplished so much in such a short period of time. I realize that my partner in crime and myself averaging 2-1/2 hours a week over the last 26 months should be way further along than you but....
As for the (wife) we may be able to work something out, Chic, you need Shirley to help you when you need an extra set of hands and buy the popcorn on movie nite.
I on the other hand LOL
As the rest of us have learned Charlie and Noah are the guides on this wonderful, fun and sometimes frustrating adventure and I for one wouldn't have it any other way.

Larry
Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
lkahn4

Peter,
What truly amazes is that you have accomplished so much in such a short period of time. I realize that my partner in crime and myself averaging 2-1/2 hours a week over the last 26 months should be way further along than you but....
As for the (wife) we may be able to work something out, Chic, you need Shirley to help you when you need an extra set of hands and buy the popcorn on movie nite.
I on the other hand LOL
As the rest of us have learned Charlie and Noah are the guides on this wonderful, fun and sometimes frustrating adventure and I for one wouldn't have it any other way.

Larry
Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM
lkahn4

Peter,
I on the other hand LOL

Larry
Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
peter w h

Hi Guys,
Do you know what is happening with Solo Props? Has the company been sold yet?
Peter
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM
redtail

Hey Peter, send a PM to Noah, he was inquiring about a Solo Prop. I personally have not heard ya or na with regards to the company's existence. Chic
Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
butlern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know that status of the company (i.e whether they're still filling orders). Last I heard the company was for sale. I do know that it is only a part-time gig for the owner, so maybe he's just busy with his primary career or personal life. Worth calling them and being persistent.

What I do know for sure is that I was looking at about $450 for the blades, hub and adapter for the Moki 150.

Too much for me!

Noah
Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
peter w h

Well I posted a want ad here in rc universe for a Soloprop hub and 26"D round tip blades for the moki 150, so we shall see what happens.
But if anyone has a leed on this stuff please let me know.

Thanks Guys
Peter
Old 03-24-2012, 02:14 PM
peter w h

Hey guys,

Here is a link to see the side strut in action.

http://youtu.be/GjHepX_Mzf4

Peter
Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 PM
butlern

Looks great, Peter!

Nice work!

Now get to glassing!!!!

Noah
Old 03-24-2012, 03:59 PM
redtail

The man's out of control with his many talents. Beautiful to watch. Chic
Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM
wayne d
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: peter w h

Hi Guys,
Do you know what is happening with Solo Props? Has the company been sold yet?
Peter

Hey Guys
Yes we are still making props. We only do this part time as my wife and I have full time jobs.
I'm sorry if I have not returned your Email. It may not have gotten to me for some reason. Phone calls are hard for me to return, I work midnights during my full time job so I sleep most of the day. By the time I get to the phone, after all the normal activities for the day its late. Sometimes to late to call. Email is always the best. At least I can answer them while I'm at work.
Just to let you all know, I was out for almost 3 months with some heart problems late last year and that has put me so far behind the eight ball its not even funny. Thats one of the reasons we have the business for sale.
Hope you all understand.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Firebar
My Feedback: (3)

Hey where did you guys go?
I thought that we would be seeing some glassing pictures by now. Maybe even some primer painting going on. Peter? Larry?

Charlie
Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
peter w h

Still here,,, just finished the other side landing gear leg, leading edge and wing tip.
Want to fabricate exhaust system, other gear door and put finishing touches on bomb doors and cowl before moving onto glassing.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
butlern

I hate to admit that I almost dumped my Avenger this past Sunday!

First flight of the season... got in an excited hurry (beautiful day, new spinner, 3-bladed prop) and hammered the throttle lined up into a starboard quartering crosswind. Lot's of torque on the Moki, hard left turn, way too late with the rudder, headed for the weeds, horsed my 50lb girl off the ground with JUST ENOUGH airspeed. Pretty dramatic... ailerons mostly unresponsive for the first 5 seconds it was airborne.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

I promise to be more careful next time!

Noah
Old 04-11-2012, 02:02 PM
lkahn4

Hey guys,
You beat me to punch, sorry no pix yet but hopefully next week. As for progress, pilot and back seat in and attached. Finally got the elevator halves and the 2 exhaust pipes installed last night. Next week we do the final sanding and get the plane masked off for its first coat of color. Thankfully I am done REMASKING all the canopies and turret for the new color scheme.
Pilot has been painted and is ready to be installed.
Charlie any luck with the S-2, I cant wait to see the build.
Noah, let's try and be a bit more careful with our sister ship.. Any word on the new position yet?

Larry

Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM
butlern

I'll do better next time, Larry!
Very close to having my job search completed! Update soon.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Firebar
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the updates guys. I was getting worried that other things were getting in the way.

Noah, I am glad things worked out OK. Staying current is important in models too. I hope my first flight of the year is less exciting. There are a lot of warbird events in the Southeast PA area. I fly in Quakertown, PA. at Buc-Le Aerosportsmen, about 90 minutes from Hershey, PA.

Larry, I printed out the plans for the S2F for the first time this week. I have a lot of work to do to the plan before I start construction. When I see the plans printed, I notice a lot of things that weren't apparent on the computer screen. I am still waiting for Sierra Giant Scale to bless me with landing gears. We are looking forward to those Avenger photo updates.

I have been working hard on my Ziroli D-18 Beechcraft. I hope to be glassing in three to four weeks.

Charlie
Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 PM
lkahn4

Charlie,
We never forget our founding father on the Avenger, for if not for you there wouldn't be all this camarderie and adventure.
On another note I have started my Dave platt t-28 at home, gear is being ordered tomorrow and then I can move forward.
Got all the G-10 control horns and hinges cut, servo trays made for the wing, am working on the tube for all the wiring and air lines that run through the wing.
Hopefully the winds will calm down so I can get some stick time this weekend.
Peter in case I forgot to mention, excellent workmanship on the main gear.

Larry
Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 AM
peter w h

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48161.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1750327  
Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 PM
redtail

Hey Everyone, great knowing everyone is well and flying. I'm still making progress on the Avenger but putting most of my effort into trying to get the DAWG finished and out of the way. Noah, Larry, Charlie, Peter, my best to you all. Chic
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 PM
lkahn4

Hi gang,
So here's the latest update with pix. We finished sanding and masked out the fuse for the 1st coat of color (Gloss White) as you will see in the pix of the new color scheme. Got the white sprayed last night after I took the mask pix, checked it this morning and hard as nails though I now notice that the access hatch we made for the tail wheel is a bit higher/lower than I would like it to be. Should I be able to talk my build buddy into it I will resand and respray.. you will never notice it when it's sitting on the tarmac but I know it's there

Monday early AM we start masking for the 2nd color and hope to get that and the bottom of the wings sprayed on Wednesday.. it's nice when you see progress being made.

Anyway here are the pix, I hope everyone is doing well, I am waiting for my Trojan gear to ship so I can continue on the build.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87553.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1752421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63185.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1752422  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.