Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Chic,
Due to serious business problems 13 years ago the wife now CONTROLS all the $$$... that's why it takes me so long to get stuff. Always a negotiation
Still trying to talk her into a trip to VA so I can pick up the C119... she can only kill me once or torture me for all eternity

Can't wait to meet you and Shirley, it will be interesting to see how they will slice and dice us and the hobby

Larry
Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Ladies are tough period.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 AM
redtail

Hey guys, I'm about two weeks from finishing the DAWG then onto the Avenger. I have to visit an ailing sister in Pittsburgh first. And yes, I want my Avenger to be almost as impressive as our friends Avenger from the North. My Avenger and I are going to the Nats next summer, I promise. Shots of the DAWG before paint. Chic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11419.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1903795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70388.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1903796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71041.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1903797  
Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
Really impressive. Where did you get the latches for the cowl, they look awfully cool.
Hopefully will get back to the Trojan in the next week or 2. As soon as my build partner John gets back we hope to get the 2nd flight on the Avenger
Still negotiating with the wife to make the trip to join you and Shirley at Famous Daves and pick up my C-119

Larry
Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM
redtail

Hey there Larry, those latches, seat belt latches, and rear seat cable pull are all home made. I visited an Army Museum and took photos and decided I could make those things. I also cut up the cowl to make it look like it no longer fits as well as it use to. The C-119 can be shipped if not picked up. Smile
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67665.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1903826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36370.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1903827  
Old 07-25-2013, 03:27 PM
lkahn4

Chic,
And miss out on Famous Daves a chance to shoot the bull with you whilst the girls roll their eyes and tell us how childish we are
NOT A CHANCE

Larry
Old 07-25-2013, 05:26 PM
butlern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chic! Looks awesome! Nice work. I've filed your techniques away for future reference (i.e. I will flat-out copy your latches/buckles)!

Wish I could hang out with you all and , too... a little too far from OK.

Larry (or any of my fellow Avenger-mates, for that matter), give me a heads up when you're passing through this part of the country. I'll show you around the flying scene in this area.

Best,

Noah
Old 08-13-2013, 06:04 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by lkahn4
Chic,
Due to serious business problems 13 years ago the wife now CONTROLS all the $$$... that's why it takes me so long to get stuff. Always a negotiation
Still trying to talk her into a trip to VA so I can pick up the C119... she can only kill me once or torture me for all eternity

Can't wait to meet you and Shirley, it will be interesting to see how they will slice and dice us and the hobby

Larry
I have a solution for that. My ex wife hated airplanes. Don
Old 08-14-2013, 10:13 AM
JWGreening

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of gathering materials for my own build of the Avenger from the Kellogg plans. I have begun a build log over in the RCGroups forum because that is where my flying freinds and I mostly hang out at. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1975914

I do follow this thread though because of all the great info here.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Firebar
My Feedback: (3)

Well we haven't had much new on our Avenger build thread recently. Ever since Peter blew us all away with his plane it has been kind of quiet.
A little news, I have restocked canopies and ball turrets for the Avenger and now have all of the plans and pieces available. I have also managed to get the the web site back up with a few small changes.
The web address is www.kelloggplans.net
For some very technical reasons that I do not want to know, the webmaster (my son) says he still needs to do some things to allow it to be accessed by mobile devices. He says that he is working on it.
I hope you all are having a good flying season.

Charlie
Old 08-15-2013, 05:15 PM
butlern

Great news, Charlie!

Thanks for the note.

I wish I had time to build... your Skyraider would be on the table! (Jeze... I don't even have a table anymore! So sad!)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:25 AM
JWGreening

Nice to see the page back up Charlie.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:01 AM
redtail

Good News. We'll get some new activity on this airframe soon. Chic
Old 08-16-2013, 04:29 AM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't get the new site to come up.

Ray W
Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 PM
JWGreening

Try this:
http://www.kelloggplans.net
Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 AM
F86_SABRE

Still not going from here
Old 08-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JW's link worked. A google search kept coming up with financial planning.

Thanks

Ray W
Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys anyone have the laser files for this plane? I want to do a full 1/4 scale and will likely need to make some mods and was just wanting to save some time putting into solidworks. I will be probably doing the folding wing as I just designed the same sort of mech for my wildcat plans and doing all kinds of interior details (have almost 2 gigs ref materials now) and I would like to get the build going as soon as possible so would rather not trace all the parts as we know paper streatches etc and I had these plans a while now and just got them scanned so not sure how far off they are after 2 yrs. plus have a museum possibly interested in a display so I want to do mine right so they get more interested

Joe
Old 08-17-2013, 12:56 PM
butlern

I suggest you start by getting permission.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:00 PM
ProfLooney

well I assumed Charlie would see my post and contact me. Ive done the drawings for a wildcat with the folding wings and got it working would like to do the same with the avenger. am working for a film called unbroken drawing up a full scale B-24 so my associates can build for the film and they are wonting some other planes including some jap stuff. since its supposed to be in hawaii would be perfect to talk them into some avengers but I dont have time to trace everything with the other planes I have to do so I posted here hoping he would see the post.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 PM
butlern

why not contact him?

Like me, maybe his initial assumption is/was that you plan to take his intellectual property/copyrighted material and use it for personal gains. If it were my plans, I would not try to assist in that endeavor, and I would be quiet here, too.

Seems more logical to contact him and tell him what you want (and why) and ask if he's interested in getting on board with your project.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:32 PM
ProfLooney

he is out flying right now ant if i sent a pm he would get it just as easily as a notification of posts in the thread. besides I figured someone may have already traced the parts and might be willing to share them
Old 08-18-2013, 01:15 AM
JWGreening

Being how Charlie does offer a laser cut short kit. He will have the laser cut files. If by some chance someone other than Charlie did have laser cut files that they lifted from his plans you would still need permission from Charlie to even use them. I certainly would advise contacting Charlie directly mainly because you are opening yourself and your production company up to possible litigation.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 AM
ProfLooney

I am going to get with him but no on the litigation. see I talk to an attourny when I opened my business. if someone pays me to draw plans for them they have the rights to the plans unless we agree I get some rights too or they dont want them which has to be in writing. if someone needs a plane or anything for that matter built and I have to draw the plans first to build it they have no rights to the plans. if I draw plans to sell the ONLY r4ights I have is against them making copies and selling the plans. if they decide to make parts or kits avail from them plans I have no rights against that. copyright covers the plans only not what they are used for after I sell them to someone. see all those rights old timers put on were because they used to get part of proceeds from cutters and other vendors and didnt want ppl getting stuff anywhere else because they dont get a cut. buddy of mine had that prob with don smith and got his lawyer who sent don a letter telling him the law and it then stopped there. so need to make sure ppl really understand the law.

that said I am still going to contact charlie he was just out flying when I called yesterday
Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 PM
ProfLooney

well problems solved. I have acess never knew abt so I am just going to go from scratch. seems athere is a privately owned flying avenger just a few mins away from me and looks like I got some nice acess to it, the docs and drawings and even chance of helping with the winter maint and upkeep on it this fall. and a hint was made abt a joy ride. so I am in hog heaven right now. found out the angle of the hinge is around 65 Degrees in case anyone interested. will find out for sure next month when I hopefully get a chance to see it. its at airshows every weekend so will see whats up. will be sure and take rulers and yardsticks and tape to take tons of pics and measurements with the pics and will post on my site for you guys when finished

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.