Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TBM 93" Zero ARF Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TBM 93" Zero ARF Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TBM 93

Yes, anchored the doors at the top of the struts from the threaded hole there. Not sure what that is, but maybe a 5mm. That keeps the door from rotating and the hardwood block keeps it tight against the lower strut. You want to be able to remove the doors from time to time, of course. I do recommend adding the plywood strips along the narrow part of the doors to keep them rigid, unless you use some much heavier aluminum sheet. Epoxy holds the plywood somewhat, but that will break loose eventually if not supported. Don't really know what to glue ply to alum with that will hold. Maybe contact cement would work, but no room for error on laying the part down. I used some sheet metal screws thru the aluminum to help hold the alum in place at bottom. The 5mm bolt should hold it tight at top. The Dubro wheels will work. The plastic hubs are fairly strong. That's what was on the model when I got her. I changed them out since I had some plastic hubs break on my 1/3 scale Pitts. Velcro seemed to be a good and simple fix for holding the doors. You can get it really tight by holding the one half in place against the strut with a scribe or small screwdriver point and then pulling the other half in place with a lot of pressure. A slight curve on the doors at the wheels helps to keep them from being caught in the wind when retracted. I think you can see that in the pics. The new doors haven't budged yet.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:06 PM
LBJ

Got a bit more done on the baffle. It's epoxied in there now with some micro-balloons to hold the glue in place. Going to add some glass tape and finishing resin for the final hold. I added some "wings" to help keep the air somewhat headed toward the fins. The square hole is a bit larger that it appears from the front view as it is partially covered up by the lip of the cowl. I can always make it a bit wider if it fails to cool the engine properly.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM
LBJ

Test flew the Zero today. The baffle didn't work to fix the popping and banging. I now feel sure it is a pure carb internal problem. Likely the metering setup is off as it's just too rich inflight. Why does it run great on the ground then, but fouls up in the air? I don't have the answer, but hope to call Desert Aircraft in the morning to find out some more possible answers. Great day to fly though. 70 plus degrees. Getting a bit tired of not having the engine running right though.

As far as cooling the engine with the baffle in place it ran fine. About 180 to 200 deg F at the spark plug area.

2-4-13

Called Desert Aircraft this morning. They said it likely wasn't a carb problem but too small a prop. Said it was "freewheeling." Recommended going to a 27x10 or 28x10 prop. Guess I'll try that one next.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
LBJ

For those who also have the CMP Zero ARF, you might be interested to know the Ziroli canopy fits that one too. I have been looking for one anyway, and I tried the Ziroli canopy off the TBM Zero and it was a very close fit. Actually, I think it fits better on the CMP Zero than the TBM. Got a TBM Zero pilot in there too. The paint is fufu can Krylon flat Olive Green, which isn't a perfect match, bit it gives it the junky look. That's all that one needed, now she can go to flight ready status. We've been having some pretty nice weather for Feb this year, so might get to fly some this week.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM
77chickenhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there, CMP Zero pilot here lol I'd be really interested to see the side profile picture.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes please!  Good to know!

Thanks!

Casey
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM
LBJ

I took the Zero downstairs, so can get some pics tomorrow I guess.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 AM
glazier808

Thanks Sir!

Casey
Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 AM
LBJ

Here's a couple more pics of the profile.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 AM
glazier808

Wow! That is a good fit! Good to know as I have two CMP Zeros, one with a cracked canopy.[:@]
Thanks again LBJ.
Casey
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 AM
LBJ

Since they were handy, got a shot of the TBM and CMP Zeros together.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

LBJ ,
Thanks for the info on the canopy fit . There are several of us with CMP Zero's in need of canopy's that will benefit from this .

On the engine going rich in the air , do you have a static vent line connected to the carb vent hole in the metering valve cover ? If not it is an easy modification that will stabilize the pressures on the metering diaghram and allow the engine to be less sensitive to pressure changes in the cowl . I do this to all my gas engines and it really does make a difference in engine reliability and makes them easier to tune properly .( link) http://www.thunderboltrc.com/tutoria...ial_seven.html
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 AM
LBJ

CK1, Glazier 808, 77Chickenhawk, Glad to help. When you have no ready alternatives, you have to make something work, no matter how unlikely it might seem at first. Haha. When you get your canopy, take it slow and get it rough cut, centered, and secured to the model with some screws before making the final trim. I usually have three or four, maybe six fittings before it's right. It's really hard to "add" material back on! Be sure to radius the front area where it goes from the front to the sides. If you cut it square at that point, it wont look right. I used a Dremel tool drum sander for this. For the CMP, I also added two screws on the very front of the canopy to keep it anchored. I need to do that on the TBM too.

I also did something on the CMP I never tried before - I masked and painted the canopy on the model. I thought it was going to look lousy because I did a quick and dirty masking job, but she turned out pretty decent. By doing the masking on the model, I had a stable support and good work height. Sprayed her inside the apt, but wasn't enough paint to cause any problems.

CK1, yes, made the mod to the carb first off, on the TBM Zero. Didn't work. I actually think it needs a complete carb overhaul kit or possibly a new carb. I'll try the larger prop idea, but will be surprised if it works.

For working on PETG canopies, I highly recommend getting a pair of these heavy duty scissors.

Also, here is the color I used for the canopy. Might not be close enough match for most of you, but it's available from the local hardware store.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 AM
LBJ

One of our favorite photographers and member's wife (Darrell), Nancy Abby, was out the other day and got some really good inflight pics of the Zero. Thanks to Nancy and her new camera. Barry Ponder was doing the flying duties for me that day while we were evaluating the on-going carb problem on the Zero. Good job Barry.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

LBJ. All in all, how did you like the way your TBM Zero flew and landed?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM
LBJ

Hooker53, I loved it. Flew light as a feather for a 31 pound model. Just effortless. I was a bit fidgety about it being the heaviest warbird I had ever flown, but that didn't last long. Take off was easy as pie. Flew easier and lighter than my CMP Zero at 22 pounds. The landing took me two missed approaches before I got the throttle setting right and her dialed in and lined up properly on the third attempt. But, I knew I wasn't going to allow myself to boink her on a bad approach, just decided early to go around both times and settled down. Great fun. I think the Zero was a classic fighter because it was a great, well designed plane, period. The model follows exactly like the full scale.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:35 PM
hooker53

That's great news. I have the Navy model NIB and it's my next Warbird. Forgot to look see what engine your running but i have a strong G-62 so may try that. You are right they are good flyers. Congrats on a good flyer.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 PM
LBJ

Still few out there NIB, cool. I'm running a DA-85 which is what it was designed around, best I can tell. Almost too much for the 31 pound plane. Vibrations are pretty intense too. I think a G-62 would fly her fine. I am having a few comments at the field about exceeding the decibel level for the club! haha. Just about 5 points too many. Oh well, it's fast and loud! That's why we fly warbirds!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM
hooker53

You said that right fly fat a yank left. Ha. I would love o gt a radial under the cowl but just can't get either one of mine in it without butchering it up.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM
John Baligrodzki

Hooker,

Mine Has a G62 and it flies it perfectly! Needed about 2 pounds of nose weight to balance. Last season at full throttle clocked her at 90mph. Getting ready in the next week or so to do some upgrades on this plane to prepare for the flying season.

Regards,

John B.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM
hooker53

John thanks loads. I had heard they need a bunch of nose WT. I may just make up a heavy steel muffler to make it count. Had to do the same thing on my 1/3 scale D-7.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:35 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

If anyone needs a set of nearly-new retracts for this bird, let me know.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 AM
LBJ

I finally got the moxie to stop and mask off the Zero this morning. Used some silver paint first, followed by Tamiya fufu can flat grey. Ziroli recommended this treatment to make a bit more detail on the inside of the canopy. The grey is already flaking off a bit in places, which looks kinda cool. Silver is hard to paint over since it usually always leaves a dusty overspray surface. I wiped it with a clean towel, but I guess it wasn't enough to remove the overspray. Anyway, who cares? Hahaha. Supposed to look USED and ABUSED! In fact, it looks TOO GOOD. ha. Wish I had it painted before the recent inflight pics. Dang, will have to hope to have Nancy out there once more with her camera.

This is a fairly close color match for the Navy Version Zero. Tamiya AS-16 and is readily available. I painted the gear doors while I was at it. Now, hope she flies without any engine hiccups.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 PM
LBJ

This is just a tad off topic, but I got some pics by Nancy Abby, wife of one of our Warbird guys, and she did a great job on my CMP Zero. She came out the other day and shot everything that was flying. Thought I'd post a few. You can get a good look at the Ziroli Canopy inflight. Other than color, it looks good on the CMP Zero. That prop is really standing still as I had to dead stick in when the NiMh eng ignition batt died (I think). No damage, but I am changing most of my eng batteries out to LiFe's from NiMh's.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Hogrider
My Feedback: (392)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever happen to "CHAWKJIM"? Hope he is OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.