Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

warbird kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:32 PM
GTMUSTANGCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warbird kit

I have been looking and asking so many questions about a warbird plane that my brain hurts[sm=confused.gif] I have a supersportster 40 that I am just beginning on learning to fly and I plan on getting a 4*40 just to learn on them both. Please help me decide on a warbird and what size. I like to build from kits because I enjoy it and I am not in a hurry to get one going(ARF)My faves are mustangs and corsairs. I like the T-34's but the retracts are more than the plane kit. [X(] I want to put a 2 stroke in it too. So there you have it. Thanks for any suggestions. Joe
Old 12-26-2008, 12:33 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: warbird kit

Well, thats pretty wide open. You can't go too far wrong with the Top Flite 60 size warbirds. It's funny we call them '60 sized' because you definately DON'T want to power one with a 60 2-stroke. Use a 91 2-stroke. Anyway, the Top Flite kits have great instructions although they require some effort to build.

As for flying, the Thunderbolt flies the best, followed by the Mustang, and the Corsair. The Warhawk is the trickiest one to fly. I have flown the Thunderbolt several times for one of my students (it was his first warbird). I have the Mustang and the Corsair. I have just heard about the Warhawk from others. My Mustang has an OS 120 4-stroke and the Corsair has an OS 91 2-stroke. Great flying planes!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:38 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

where in town do you fly Joe?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:06 AM
GTMUSTANGCS

Todd, I am just getting back into the hobby after a few years. I have not found a place I like yet. I was going to try that club out in the SW. Forgot the name,I'll have to look it up again. I think it was Rio Bravo. West out Stockdale Hwy then toward the north. Where do you fly? I could really use some lessons on my trainer. Pilot QB 40S that I am going over and trying to fit a canopy on and just getting it ready to fly again. I started out years ago flying out at Famoso. Then I was flying out past Greenfield. Guess I just lost interest because I could not have a steady instructor. I'd like to hear from you and if you'd be interested in giving me lessons,taht would be great. My email is [email protected] if you'd like to discuss it some more or here is fine too, but i'm not too great on this site as far as anything other than the forums go. Your name sounds familiar. I may have met you.Thanks Joe
Old 12-26-2008, 01:27 AM
GTMUSTANGCS

ho2zoo, Thanks for the info. Alot of guys tell me the Thunderbolt is a good first warbird. I'll go with that advice and I think i'll get the Top Flight 60 and put a 91 in it as you suggest. I'll have plenty of time to build it and plan on how I want it to look because I am nowhere near being able to fly it. I think I like to build more than I do flying them. Anyhow, I have a GP Supersportster almost completed and I plan on building a 4* 40 too just to have two low wings to learn on. I've been told the 4* is a better low wing trainer. Besides, I have no problem buying another kit. I have an OS 46 for the Supersportster and I will put my old Como 40 out of my trainer in the 4*. My wife has agreed to buy the warbird and the engine for it when I get her kitchen remodeled. I think it was a great deal on my end[sm=lol.gif] I was planning on 'glass and paint on the warbird. Sound ok too you? Thanks again for the info, Joe
Old 12-26-2008, 01:45 AM
Destroyer of Airplanes
My Feedback: (25)

Joe,

The jump from a sports plane to a warbird is a big one. You are on the right track asking for recommendations. The second part is getting your self ready. If you are in a club talk to the guys who fly them. A lot of have trainer set ups and are more than happy to bring a new warbird driver into the fold. The more stick time and advise you can get will make your transition and first few flights a lot less stressful.

Paul
Old 12-26-2008, 03:57 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

if your going with the TF 60 size P-47 there are several threads on the plane here is one that has alot of info about the build and engine choices I enjoyed the build. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...tm.htm#4868696

really a OS 75AX 2stroke with the in cowl muffler would be a good choice if you wanted to go with a 2st, another club member has a 91 in his and theres loads of power he says its almost overpowered with it.

I ended up using a OS120 fs,I like 4st engines in warbirds just a personal choice.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

The Topflite kits sound like a winner but I never built one. Make one of your lesser planes heavier and learn how to fly the difference before you maiden a kit warbird. They are different and much less forgiving. The Platt or Pica Jungmeister is a nice build and great flier for a 90 size two stroke or Saito 100.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:41 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do remember they crash.

So get into your first warbird as cheap as possible.

And never say "I give up"

Steve
Old 12-27-2008, 02:49 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Sounds like you have a good plan! Fly the 4* 40 first and get comfortable with it, then fly the heck out of the Supersportster. By then, you'll be ready to try the Thunderbolt. Don't be afraid to have a more experienced pilot take each plane up for the first few flights. You can even hook up a buddy box and gradually ease into the take-offs and landings.

I have never thought that there is some huge difference between 'sport planes' and 'warbirds'. Seems like some guys think of warbirds as a completely different catagory- like helicoptors or sailplanes. I have flown warbirds that were easier to fly than some sport planes. And vice-versa. Just try to check everything while on the ground, then take it easy while you get used to how it flies.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I would never have wasted my time with warbirds until a friend showed me what a TF P 39 could do. Just plain olive drab finish with a K&B 61 and he was taking it out doing tumbles with it. Easy ground handling with the trike also.