Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Lado retracts, do the really exist?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Lado retracts, do the really exist?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lado retracts, do the really exist?

I just got my set in yesterday... and WOW! These things are works of art!!! I didn't realize the motion of them would be so slow and scale like. Also watching my LED Voltmeter as they are actuating I see that they have very VERY little draw on the battery power... the LED's don't change at all even though the battery isn't at full charge. Wiggling just 1 servo causes more power draw... sweet!

Next problem though, the blasted RoboStruts are impossible to find I'm seeing! Tower Hobby doesn't even have a date on when they'll have them again. Anybody know a current source for the Robart 653L and R Robostruts? Now that I have superior retract units I'm ready to start work on my Mustang! [:-]

Thanks!

- Michael
Old 04-10-2009, 02:33 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear you happy with your retracts. I called Dough yesterday and spoke to him about the availability of the 60-5 retracts (90 Degree). He said that he was trying his best to get orders caught up and out the door and that I should call him back in a month to see where he was at on the 60-5. I respect the fact that he was up front and made no promises. I've been down that road with other vendors, who tell you one thing and then never deliver.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad to hear you are happy with your Lado's. I ordered my 60-2T lado's 12 weeks and I am still waiting. I talked to Doau a week ago and he said it should be another 2 or 3 weeks. He is trying real hard to catch up with his back orders. I hope to have mine soon. My Corsair is finished except for the Lados.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just finished installing my lados with the 662 struts in my H-9 Mustang.

couple of things I did was I needed to mod the struts a bit to allow them to fit in the H-9 wells.
I had to shorten the springs so the strut would work after being cut to fit by about 3 coils,after cutting the springs the struts worked well but are still a little stiff, I may need to cut the piston section if the struts are still too stiff after a few flights.

I follwed phatbob02's mod he did for his corsair struts, and it worked like a charm the mod is detailed in the LADO H-9 P-40 thread only difference is my actuators are drilled for 3/16 wires.

you still need to install the connector before you reassemble the strut after trimming the spring, there is a plastic retainer the spring buts up against that fits into the tube but when you cut it short enough to fit the H-9 there is little room to install the connector if its assembled first, I used JB Weld and left it overnight to harden, then reassembled the struts.

the struts don't have full travel if there not cut down by about a 1/4" or so, but there seems to be enough spring in them without trimming them we shall see.

I also built wheel wells and channels in the wing the plastic wells weren't large enough to accomadate the struts, and lowered the mounting rails, by trimming the top of the existing rails down a bit, if I were to go lower than that I would replace the mounting rails with some hardwood, I did add some extra glue to the area though.

I also have a set of rotators for my H-9 corsair they will get here eventually, I have plenty of planes to fly and less time to do it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91434.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1177382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69439.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1177383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56821.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1177384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42232.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1177385  
Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same problem. Ordered the 60-2 rotating retracts 2-8-09. Web site said they were in stock. No Lados yet. Finally ordered and installed century jet retract. Maybe they are not a good as the Lados but they work and they are here.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:29 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

I waited exactly five months and five days for mine. I posted photos of the install and a short video of the gear operating on the TopFlite Staggerwing thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...gerwing/tm.htm
Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 PM
V1

I have been waiting for 12 months now!!! Lot's of promises, many unanswered emails and phone messages that are not responded to. My last voice message to LADO was clear, if I haven't had a response within a week I will be forced to seek a refund through my credit card dispute center. What I can't tolerate is that pretty much everybody with these retracts in their models ordered their set AFTER I ordered and paid for mine a year ago. It's fortunate that I have copies of all my email transcripts and credit card statements to document my case. I just wish I had a better experience with this product, it looks really good.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Nice job BIGTIM! Let us know how they work.

V1,
I have four sets that I purchased over the last two years. I had to wait three to five months for each set. A year is insane![:@]
I've posted a lot of anger in the past. I told Doug it wouldn't be so bad if he didn't charge our credit cards until he shipped. He also shouldn't charge us for Priority mail! Our patients should be rewarded with free Priority shipping![:-]

Bob

Old 04-10-2009, 08:49 PM
phatbob02

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

I waited exactly five months and five days for mine. I posted photos of the install and a short video of the gear operating on the TopFlite Staggerwing thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...gerwing/tm.htm

GaGeeBees,

Here's a short cut,
http://rcuvideos.com/video/Ladotech-Retracts-wmv

Here's my latest lado's on my Corsair,
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/lado-Retracts-wmv
Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 PM
phatbob02

ORIGINAL: Michael211

I just got my set in yesterday... and WOW! These things are works of art!!! I didn't realize the motion of them would be so slow and scale like. Also watching my LED Voltmeter as they are actuating I see that they have very VERY little draw on the battery power... the LED's don't change at all even though the battery isn't at full charge. Wiggling just 1 servo causes more power draw... sweet!

Next problem though, the blasted RoboStruts are impossible to find I'm seeing! Tower Hobby doesn't even have a date on when they'll have them again. Anybody know a current source for the Robart 653L and R Robostruts? Now that I have superior retract units I'm ready to start work on my Mustang! [:-]

Thanks!

- Michael

Michael,
Why does everyone love Tower. I think they suck!!
Try Graves RC http://www.gravesrc.com/ROB653R_ROBA..._p/rob653r.htm

They're one of my favorites and they have what you're looking for in stock!!

Bob
Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Bob,

Great looking retracts on the Staggerwing & Corasir. Each time I look at them that makes me think I made the right choice in ordering these Lado's. I only hope I can continue to wait for them without getting to upset[:@]
Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 PM
MarineDad
My Feedback: (10)

I ordered a set of the Rotating for my Top Flight Corsair project last November. I'm at a standstill on it now, waiting on these retracts. I've got a P-40 ready to start, and a Hurricane on the work bench. So when I got an email that they were in stock again, with a price increase, (But a discount if you order now) I ordered another set of rotating, and a set of standards. That was a month ago. Still no retracts. Called Doug today, and he said he would send the standards out to me today, and the rotating retracts next week or so. We will see.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:13 AM
G T

I FEEL REALLY SORRY FOR DOUG, HE HAS A TOP PRODUCT THAT EVERYBODY WANT STRAIGHT AWAY BUT BECAUSE THE DEMANED OUT STRIPS HIS SUPPLY TIMES HE IS COPPING SO MUCH BAGGING - GIVE HIM SOME SLACK GUYS OR BUY THE OTHER BRANDS AND DONT WINGE . I HAVE A FEW SETS NOW AND AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE PRODUCT AND WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE THESE IN A 60 SIZE MODEL THAN AIR NOW. I WILL BE TRYING THE ACTUATORS FOR THE RETRO FIT ON LARGER SIZE AIR RETRACTS FRAMES NEXT.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Michael211

Michael,
Why does everyone love Tower. I think they suck!!
Try Graves RC http://www.gravesrc.com/ROB653R_ROBA..._p/rob653r.htm

They're one of my favorites and they have what you're looking for in stock!!

Bob
Bob, because Tower is one of the largest distributors and it's pretty easy to find stuff on their website... I Googled for these Robostruts and found lots of smaller places that were also out of them, but never came across GravesRC in the search results. I have however ordered heli parts from GravesRc before and like dealing with them (though their website is not as user friendly as Tower's is). I had no idea GravesRC had these struts! Thanks for pointing them out to me... I appreciate it!

- Michael
Old 04-11-2009, 01:21 AM
V1

Hey GT,

Read my post again, and think how you would feel about whether or not I am 'being fair'. It's probable that I placed and paid for my retracts before you even ordered yours, the only difference is that you have them and I'm still waiting!!! I'm now 12 months down the track with nothing.

I would be surprised if you were so understanding if you were my position.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 AM
phatbob02

ORIGINAL: V1

Hey GT,

Read my post again, and think how you would feel about whether or not I am 'being fair'. It's probable that I placed and paid for my retracts before you even ordered yours, the only difference is that you have them and I'm still waiting!!! I'm now 12 months down the track with nothing.

I would be surprised if you were so understanding if you were my position.
V1,
What set did you order? I have two different sets that aren't in use. I'm not sure which ones at the moment. I don't know when I'll get time to build another kit.
If I have what you ordered, we can work something out. PM me.

Bob
Old 04-11-2009, 05:44 AM
phatbob02

[/quote]

Bob, because Tower is one of the largest distributors and it's pretty easy to find stuff on their website... I Googled for these Robostruts and found lots of smaller places that were also out of them, but never came across GravesRC in the search results. I have however ordered heli parts from GravesRc before and like dealing with them (though their website is not as user friendly as Tower's is). I had no idea GravesRC had these struts! Thanks for pointing them out to me... I appreciate it!

- Michael

[/quote]

Michael,
I use to deal with Tower in the early 80's. I was a member of their "Super Saver Club". They never saved me a dime. I could always find thing cheaper else where.
More than once I've ordered kits off their fliers and found out they wouldn't be in stock for months.

The latest ordeal was a GP 60 Cub that my Dad wanted. Tower's price $199. I found it on sale for $119.

Now I have to find a place to get Lado's! I know Doug has the actuators made in China. Lets find them and make our own!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:05 AM
V1

Thank you very much for the offer phatbob02, I really appreciate your help. I will give Doug one week as promised. If I'm still out of luck I'm sure that we would be able to work something out between us. I originally ordered a set of rotating retracts for my H9 Hellcat, so if you did have a set that you were not intending to use I would be happy to pay you for them.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 AM
phatbob02

ORIGINAL: V1

Thank you very much for the offer phatbob02, I really appreciate your help. I will give Doug one week as promised. If I'm still out of luck I'm sure that we would be able to work something out between us. I originally ordered a set of rotating retracts for my H9 Hellcat, so if you did have a set that you were not intending to use I would be happy to pay you for them.
I think I have them. They're the 60-2's, correct? I was going to use them in my Corsair until he came out with the 60-2T's.
I don't know what the shipping would be to China.

Bob
Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Michael211

I wonder why the Quote thing isn't working? Oh well... I wouldn't want to undercut Doug however, he has designed an excellant product and seems like a really good guy.

I would however like to encourage Doug to seek investors and EXPAND production! LOL! The only complaint anybody ever seems to have about his excellant product is that they can't get their hands on the things fast enough!!! [:-] I don't think demand is going to subside anytime soon.

Friday afternoon I took the new Lado's out to the club field with me and showed them off to several of the guys... nobody had ever seen them before, and everybody was really impressed with their craftmanship and function. It's almost a shame to bury them inside a wing!

Regards and have a great Easter Weekend ya'll!

- Michael
Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Michael211

I wonder why the Quote thing isn't working? Oh well... I wouldn't want to undercut Doug however, he has designed an excellant product and seems like a really good guy.

I would however like to encourage Doug to seek investors and EXPAND production! LOL! The only complaint anybody ever seems to have about his excellant product is that they can't get their hands on the things fast enough!!! [:-] I don't think demand is going to subside anytime soon.

Friday afternoon I took the new Lado's out to the club field with me and showed them off to several of the guys... nobody had ever seen them before, and everybody was really impressed with their craftmanship and function. It's almost a shame to bury them inside a wing!

Regards and have a great Easter Weekend ya'll!

- Michael
The "quote thing" will not work when you start with /quote and end with /quote. It needs to start without the /. Not sure why the system was adding the extra slash but it seems fixed now. You can go back and edit it out of your earlier posts if you like.

My complaint about Doug has nothing to do with his product or even his lead time. My problem with him is the dismal customer service and level of communication AND all the broken promises and outright lies. Investors won't fix the lack of integrity. The products are great but the company needs some serious retooling in the customer service department.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 AM
G T

hi v1
i am sorry that you have not received good service from doug. i did also have some problems with him getting back to me as most people are complaining about, but i have a few sets now and as advised that i am very happy with the products he has supplyed. and he had also supplyed a "set" when i had a problem with only one leg so all up i am very impressed with the - product - and think it one of the best on the market.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:08 AM
V1

I agree 100%. Just wish I could get a set. I have no idea what the problem is with my order and have a H9 Hellcat that needs some new legs!!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
G T

HI V1
sorry to give you more bad news - just got my latest lados in my mail box today, have you tryed emailing doug direct ? as i had alot of trouble getting through at first but had good response the last few contacts this way with doug. because of our time differance i also left messages on his phone answer machine aswell - good luck mate -
Old 04-21-2009, 01:44 PM
tblackstone

I have been trying to get in touch with Lado-tech.net to no avail.

I have left several voicemail messages and several e-mails. None have been responded to as of today. My order was placed on 3/9/09, and I had ordered the R630T-RF - Robart 630 Trike Retro Fit Kit, which at the time of my order, was in stock. Now it's not.

Doug, if your reading this, it's time for you to update your customers on the status of their orders. Just let us know you're still in existance! Communication is a key factor here. Keep in touch with us, and you keep us happy.

This product does look wonderful, but my concerns are to when we will be receiving our products, for which you have been paid, and what happens when something goes wrong? I can't wait 6 weeks to hear back from your company should I have questions or problems with the product.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.