Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

Here's a quick video clip of the sound module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPUf6wz6nA
Old 11-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Gutaaaooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smchale, is that a static prop? where did you get that? looks great!

I found a APC 14.5x11x4 and a couple 15.5x12x4. Now I need to see if the YS120 I have can spin that, if not maybe the DLE20!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:28 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Sean, your P-47 looks awesome.

Kirk

ORIGINAL: smchale

I just finished mine, using Ron's as inspiration with basically the same setup. I agree the hatch was a pain to cut free. I used a pin from the inside to cut it close, then cleanep up the edges afterwards. Also needed to recover around the edges after filling them. Here's a couple pics of mine.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:14 PM
smchale

ORIGINAL: Gutaaaooo

Smchale, is that a static prop? where did you get that? looks great!

I found a APC 14.5x11x4 and a couple 15.5x12x4. Now I need to see if the YS120 I have can spin that, if not maybe the DLE20!
Gutaaaooo,
Years ago when I built the kit version Top Flite offered a static prop (as well as a full bodied pilot). Sadly, both were discontinued shortly afterwards.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
sbrackets

Hello all

I just picked up the TF P-47 that use to belong to "Planenuttz" here in this forum in a trade for my Cermark F-16 Propjet. I hope to upgrade my "NEW" bird with the pylons and drop tanks from FirepowerRC soon. Can't wait.

I currently own the Hangar 9 P-47 1.50, and the H9 P-47 .60 size. I really like the looks of the TF P-47 because of the flaps and drab covering. I really like the way P-47's fly. Nice and easy!!

Photos & video to come soon.

P.S Planenuttz really did a nice job on the building of my P-47. I feel lucky to have this nice plane.

Jim Stratton
Greenville, SC
Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM
ultimate2

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

[8D]What a beautiful job[X(][X(][X(], congratulations buddy..... I couldn´t resist and showed that beauty on my spanish build-blog.
http://www.acro3d.com/public/phpbb3/...p=66996#p66996
Cheers.
Manuel.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I already kissed up to Sean on the other site..lol
Great job Sean, you always make it look easy and do a great job... love the sound system as well.
you guys are all doing great stuff to this plane...love it

ron101, hi my name is josh and i was wondering if you could help me the battery hatch i have the same plane and i tried to do what you did to your p-47 but i kinda mess up a bit. i am ordering an other plane to try again at the hatch. would it possible if you can tell me the dimensions of what i need to cut out( like length, and width) and more or less of you did. thank you. btw awesome job on you p-47 it looks great. -josh
Hey Josh,
I did just like Sean said... I took some long T-Pins and pushed them through the seam line of the hatch from the inside.. in all four corners. I then worked my way all the way around the hatch sticking the pin through everywhere I could. I used my exacto saw and knife and carefully cut it out.. with out cuting the the locating pins on the back. You also have to knock out two small dowls on the front of the hatch.
I cut the covering back about an inch, sanded it all smooth, added a little filler hear and there...
ordered a roll of flat olive drab and covered back into the hatch area on the fues and recovered the hatch.... that was it....

Sorry to hear you had a mishap but that happens in this hobby, you just move along and you will get it right next time

good luck and have fun! thats what this is all about

Ron
Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM
smchale

Josh,

I think these are the saw blades Ron is referencing. I find them very handy for multiple uses. In fact I have a couple old xacto handles so I don't have to keep swapping blades.

http://www.micromark.com/7-PIECE-11-...-SET,6567.html
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM
ultimate2

[8D]Maybe this step by step how to will help, .....
http://www.acro3d.com/public/phpbb3/...start=120:eek:
Manuel.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM
joshua24

thank ron for the tip. question i like the wingpylons were did you get them or was that home made. ?

-josh
Old 11-19-2010, 01:21 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank ron for the tip. question i like the wing pylons were did you get them or was that home made. ?

-josh
I ordered the pylons, drop tanks and bombs from Rich at firepower RC.. real nice dude and make a wonderful product!
it's the best bomb and pylon kit I have seen.. very detailed instruction
After I had mine finished I gave him some pictures and he put me on his wedsite which is cool

don't forget to order the bombs and drop tanks too... very fun to drop bombs! man I have to get out and fly
here is a link:

http://www.firepowerrc.com/top_flite_p-47_pylons.htm
Old 11-19-2010, 06:34 AM
smchale

Manuel, thanks for the comps...and the inspiration with your fantastic build. Can't wait to see it all to gether.

Josh, Ron is right the firepower r/c stuff is nice. I typically cringe when needing to work with vacuumformed parts, but these were nice and thick and easy to deal with. Can't wait to bomb up our field!
The pylons are easier to install during the build before the wing is joined. Have fun with them!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Gutaaaooo

Hey guys, just got my LADO retracs/oleos for this puppy, and the OLEOs are great for this bird, they don't have that angled scisor thing, so thre is no need to cut the wing for a good fit (see pictures). The only thing is I got the 170mm long OLEOs, and the 160mm would be a perfect fit, (thery have oleos from 100mm to 210mm, with 10mm increments) now I have to mod it to that end, should be easy enough. http://www.lado-tech.net/proddetail.php?prod=RS3333LEGS

By the way, these are my fist LADO full retracts, and not just a retrofited robart. They look amazing, and much stronger then the robarts, as it's almos solid, but still very light. I took mine apart to see it's guts, but forgot to take pictures, sorry. The machining is amazing!

EDIT: Reduced the size of the pictures. I don't know why they where so big before, I guess I thought RCU would do it on its own. Sorry!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:56 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

THANK YOU, for re-sizing the pictures. I know: you never know what's going to happen when you download pictures here lately.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:13 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I am getting close to finishing my P-47. I put an OS 75AX inverted in the plane with a JTEC incowl muffler. I was hoping to conceal the muffler within the cowl but with the cowl being norrow at the bottom I had to cut some holes for the muffler tubes to exit the cowl. It does not look to bad but not as nice as I was hoping. I have also installed CJ retracts and a on-boad glow system Hoping to maiden the bird this coming Saturday
Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 PM
ultimate2

Hey guys, just got my LADO retracs/oleos for this puppy, and the OLEOs are great for this bird, they don't have that angled scisor thing, so thre is no need to cut the wing for a good fit (see pictures). The only thing is I got the 170mm long OLEOs, and the 160mm would be a perfect fit, (thery have oleos from 100mm to 210mm, with 10mm increments) now I have to mod it to that end, should be easy enough. http://www.lado-tech.net/proddetail.php?prod=RS3333LEGS

By the way, these are my fist LADO full retracts, and not just a retrofited robart. They look amazing, and much stronger then the robarts, as it's almos solid, but still very light. I took mine apart to see it's guts, but forgot to take pictures, sorry. The machining is amazing!

EDIT: Reduced the size of the pictures. I don't know why they where so big before, I guess I thought RCU would do it on its own. Sorry!
Hi Gutaaaooo that retracts looks really good, please can you tell me if these oleos struts could fit on the plastic body retract incluided by Top Flite in the kit ?.
TX.
Manolo.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Gutaaaooo

Hey Manolo,

The oleos have a 5mm pin that is secured to the retract, I don't know the the size of the TF strut, and now I'm away from home, so I can't check that for you, sorry.

By the way, did anyone find a better wheel that fits in the wheel wells? I just hate the foam wheels
Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

smchale, now that is a great looking P-47. I am not crazy about P-47s simply due to them being overdone everywhere, but yours looks great!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:55 PM
smchale

ORIGINAL: JeffH

smchale, now that is a great looking P-47. I am not crazy about P-47s simply due to them being overdone everywhere, but yours looks great!
Thanks Jeff.

Here's a video clip from the P47 Maiden flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9j6WNJyG8

And one with the bomb drop and sound on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEH7QjrElnk

The weather didn't help, nor did the Turn Pike noise...but you can see it flys at least. :-)
Old 11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Gutaaaooo

Hey Smchale, that's a great looking bird and flying you got there!

Is that the firepowerrc's bomb drop you got there?
I ordered mine also, but I'm waiting for Rich to send me.

How do you like them? Are they easy to set up, assemble etc? Some pictures would be great!

Again, congrats on the great looking bird!
Old 11-24-2010, 03:39 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on another successful maiden. I would congradulate you on your nice landing, but those of us who have flown this plane know that to be typical. NOT taking away from your flying skills, just a compliment to the ARF.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
smchale

Hey Smchale, that's a great looking bird and flying you got there!

Is that the firepowerrc's bomb drop you got there?
I ordered mine also, but I'm waiting for Rich to send me.

How do you like them? Are they easy to set up, assemble etc? Some pictures would be great!

Again, congrats on the great looking bird!
Thanks, yes they are from firepower RC. They go together quite easily and do work well. Have tried them on 3 flights and worked perfect every time. Make sure you add the epoxy in the nose as the instructions advise. It makes them come off level and drop realistically. I have them on a dial at the moment, but think I'll move them to a switch.

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Congrats on another successful maiden. I would congradulate you on your nice landing, but those of us who have flown this plane know that to be typical. NOT taking away from your flying skills, just a compliment to the ARF.
Too true. Very predictable, even at 14.5 lbs. I built the kit version back in 2003 and have flown it ever since on 1.20 4C power. Very nice flying model for sure. Adding the sound and bombs has increased the fun factor...not to mention the easy and lack of clean up of the electric power. [8D]
Old 11-27-2010, 03:49 PM
smchale

A few people have PM'd me for some more details on the model.

Here's a summary of some of the details: Hacker A50-16L motor, CC ESC, 2x 4S 5000mAh 45C ThunderPower lipos in series for 8S, APC 17x12E prop, Truturn spinner, Model Solutions of Canada Sound card and 2x 4" 4ohm speakers, 2x 3s 910 mAh Electrifly lipos in series for 6S power on the sound, 1700 mAh nicad rx pack, CJM retracts, Robart Struts, Sullivan wheels, Firepower R/C dropable bombs and plyons, Aces of Iron pilot bust, Testors MM paint, promark nomenclature, getstencils vinyl graphics for large lettering, klasskote satin clear dulled down. Top Flite static prop. AUW 14.5 lbs.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Those P-47's are looking good! I hope to add some pics of mine flying here soon. Man, Top Flite really hit a home run with these newer ARFs. You can't ask for a better ARF, and they know what customers really want. Sometimes when I compare TF ARFs to others I just laugh- most companies can't even get the wheel and strut size close. What's with the tiny wheels on most ARFs, huh? Can't they even look at a picture of the full size craft? Drives me crazy. Meanwhile I have to get back to work... I have got behind in my production for several reasons and am trying to catch back up.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:47 AM
lablover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO it's gonna be a high of 38 Deg today with no wind. Packin for the field and was trying to decide what birds to take.......YUp, My P-47 after watching and reading here

God I love this plane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.