Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

OK, I found a little slip of paper in the engine box with the 215 that gives test results at the factory using a 32 X 18 inch prop.

Given my experience with the 32 X 12 not being enough load, I agree that a 32 X 18 is probably exactly what I need.

So where can I find one????

Mike?

Anybody?

mt
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Mark. Noah from Iowa City here.... we met at the Cedar Rapids event a few weeks ago (I had the Meister Bf109)

Anyway, the only manufacturer of that size that I have found is Bambula... TBM has the 32x14 listed as the appropriate prop for the 215, but it's out of stock. The 32x16 that you seek is in stock, however.

Maybe there's another Bambula distributor in the US. Might be worth checking around for that info.

Congratulations on the AW Fw190 and 215 combo. Looking froward to seeing it in person one of these days!

Regards,

Noah
Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 AM
mick15

Can you not get Mentz props in your area? they do a 32x18, I also use a 34x12, see post23.

m
Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 AM
taygher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: kram

OK, I found a little slip of paper in the engine box with the 215 that gives test results at the factory using a 32 X 18 inch prop.

Given my experience with the 32 X 12 not being enough load, I agree that a 32 X 18 is probably exactly what I need.

So where can I find one????

Mike?

Anybody?

mt
Biela makes really nice carbon props, I have a 32x18 on my 250 (in a C-ARF Yak 55SP) and I am happy with it.
TNT landing gear products sell Biela and hopefully they can order a 32x18 for you painted black with white tips. (They don't list all available sizes/colours on their website.)

Here's a link to a german dealer for the complete range of Biela props.
[link]http://pp-rc.de/SHOP/esmigla.htm[/link]

/Taygher
Old 08-17-2009, 01:27 PM
GFoushi

Mounted the Moki!!! Just one problem it's longer then the DA-150!! I have to take 1" out of the box... Story of my life.... LOL Time to go to work!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42650.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1258028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57229.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1258029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77608.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1258030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82763.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1258031  
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
kram

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, you guys!

You are the best!

mt
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
GFoushi

Scott,

Here is a few pictures of the choke set-up!!! The piece you described was provided by Scale Wings it worked perfect!!!

G

Name:	Tr51540.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1258535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62142.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1258536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48755.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1258537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76194.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1258538  
Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

hey guys, we flew the Meister 47 over the weekend and it's the same old thing, miss, miss, miss. i saw grease coming out of the pick up sensor and removed it. The bolts were loose and the hall affect has been ruubbing on the cam. my camera won't take good pictures, too small. has anyone else had this problem? someone over the weekend says this motor has coils inside, true? wondering if i could have a ground issue if changing the sensor doesn't fix it. Has anyone had any luck with warranty issues since troy built took over? Mike was real nice and said he would see what he could do, but it may be a problem. Why wouldn't Moki cover it? it's not our fault R.C.S. shut down. Jeff
Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

Is that the same engine you had in the Hellcat? Or am I confused as usual?

When you say grease from the "pick up sensor" do you mean the pump on the front of the engine? Can you barrow a camera and snap a few pictures?

I believe Moki will honor the warranty but you'll have to send it overseas for them to work on it if you want labor and materials covered. Even then they get to decide if it was a mfg. defect (they cover it) or if it was owner induced (you pay for it). I could see TBM getting materials covered under warranty but the labor would have to be paid unless you purchased it from TBM. I would think TBM could NOT cover labor because Moki will not reimburse them for labor and TBM didn't make any money off the sale if you didn't buy it from them. I think that's the way it would work but I'm not sure.....just a guess.

Have you tightened everything up, changed the plugs, checked all the plug and valve gaps, and do you use a 4.8v high MA battery?

I've had Mike (TBM) work on my engine (150cc) after I busted the No.1 jug off in a crash. He was more than fair and very good. The work was done quickly once he got the parts from Europe and the engine runs perfect again. If you send it to him....you're in good hands. They will apply a minimum charge, provide a good faith estimate after review and then you can decide where to go from there.

Hope you find the problem. If I can help in any way let me know. PM me your cell if you want to talk about it.

Best Luck,

Scott
Old 08-19-2009, 06:07 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Jeff, Maybe there needs to be a gasket or spacer under the hall sensor mounting plate? Mitch
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Todd Jackson
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Scott,
Yep same one and ur not confused. We used my plane as a test bed to try to work out these bugs but still have the same prob.
As Jeff said, miss, miss, miss and it is 2 different setups. My gas tanks was low and his is behind the carb and ignition gear is outside firewall were mine was on the back of the firewall but it is still the same miss but has gotten worse as time went on and we have done
all the stuff that was suggested but no change just got worse. Looked to me the sensor over time was loose and may have or suppose to have had a gasket (spacer) under it to keep clearance and the grease from getting out. Just have to see if a new sensor fixes it the we will go from there..

Todd

Name:	Xv63118.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1259134  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:03 PM
jeff naul

Scott, we have a saying with our group. "just because you pay for it doesn't mean that it is yours" if it's laying around it will get hung on something.

The hall affect sensor has come loose from the aluminum mounting plate that you see on top of the engine. so grease was getting bertween the sensor and the aluminum plate. The rubber o-ring had now made it's way in between the sensor and the plate also. this may be what caused the clearance issue and let the sensor rub on the cam. i tried to take picture's but all i got was blurr. Because of my time crunch to be ready for Atlanta i had to go ahead and buy one rather than play the waiting game to hear back from Europe.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Scott Prossen

Jeff and Todd (sounds like a TV show),

Hope that the new one solves the issue.

I am under the gun for Atlanta as well. I'm falling behind every day on PJ's 47 I bought. Haven't had enough time and or energy to get it done and test flown. I'm still planning to finish it by next week, test fly it a few times then haul it up there and have a ball. If not, there's always the Byron T-28 I had at Top Gun. I really want to get the 47 there for PJ to see with the Moki in there. It would be too fun to fly them together don't you think!

Keep us posted on your success with the sensor. Sure hope you got it this time. See you dudes in Atlanta.

Scott
Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 PM
jeff naul

Scott you are going to love your bird! It lands slower than grandma rollin in a hoveround. It rolls out real nice and keeps the tail up damn near until it stops rollin. Talk to Frank and find out if he put any right thrust in his. I can't take off with more than half throttle because I'm out of rudder. We aren't 100% that I have enough servo either. We'll have to run it at full throttle on the ground and see if the servo moves full deflection. We had the same problem on Todds Hellcat but we blamed it on his 1975 Royal servo on his rudder. I swear he teared up last week when we cleaned the servo drawer and I threw away a Royal servo.
This is the Todd holding the tach and cussing it again, And everybody else is telling us whats wrong with it.

Name:	Jh14745.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1259608  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Scott Prossen

Jeff,

Yep, looks like a public road crew. One guy working and everybody else telling him how to do it!
Frank's needed a ton of rudder the first flight, so he did add some right thrust. A washer or two...very scientific[&:].

On the old stuff...I know what you mean. Sometimes at the fly-in's, when you lean in and see what guys are putting in their planes (their $5000 planes) it just kills me. I mean, I know we're not all loaded and everything but come on. How about for safety's sake??? Some of these guys are the ones you'd least suspect too. I just giggle a little and go about my business as I should. I know I'm far from perfect so what can I say....nothing!

Get it fixed so we can do a little team strafing!

CU @ ATL.
Scott
Old 08-20-2009, 05:38 AM
derjager

XOAR PROPS

Hi MT

It,s Steve from Bob,s Hobby Center in Orlando.

We are the main Us distributer for Xoar props and I am currently in China at the Xoar factory !!!

We produce props up to 38inches in diameter. We ordered the particular size you require on our last order and I actually saw them being finished at the factory - they are very nice. This particular order is being shipped on the 5th Septeber and we will have it a few days later - we airfreight them in.

Give Julie a call at the store and she will help you with the order 407 277 1248

Take a look at our main website www.xoarintl.com and/or the banner we have on RCuniverse at the moment

Best wishes

Steve
Old 08-20-2009, 02:54 PM
GFoushi

ORIGINAL: derjager

XOAR PROPS

Hi MT

It,s Steve from Bob,s Hobby Center in Orlando.

We are the main Us distributer for Xoar props and I am currently in China at the Xoar factory !!!

We produce props up to 38inches in diameter. We ordered the particular size you require on our last order and I actually saw them being finished at the factory - they are very nice. This particular order is being shipped on the 5th Septeber and we will have it a few days later - we airfreight them in.

Give Julie a call at the store and she will help you with the order 407 277 1248

Take a look at our main website www.xoarintl.com and/or the banner we have on RCuniverse at the moment

Best wishes

Steve

Hello Steve,

September???? You better load up your carry-on luggage...... LOL

Greg
Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 PM
GFoushi

Well the engine box is complete!!! I couldn't help myself but to bolt it up and throw on the cowl just to see how it's going to look.... All I can say is awesome!!!

Name:	Bz79015.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1259857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27610.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1259858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22023.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	1259859   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42524.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1259860  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Hello82

lookin' good Greg!....are you already running any thrust angles?.....with only 3 mounting holes is it still as easy to get proper thrust angle doing it the washer way after the fact? I have not checked where the holes lie yet....

.....are you going to do baffling?.....over at RCSB link to phil in the UK's super cool 1/4 seafury build there was mention by another flyer about cutting out the baffles because...quote

"When I look at your baffles, I would recommend to make a cut out in the area of the exaust tubes. These tubes are the hottest parts of the engine, your teflon seals will melt, when you don't cool them."

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...59&PN=1&TPN=23

....not sure if anyone else has experienced this but it was food for thought...(Phil mentioned he never cuts these holes and has never had issues though)...any connection to what Jeff and Todd's issues are maybe?

Matt

photo courtesy of phil at RCSB

Name:	Bz78711.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1259970  
Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM
GFoushi

ORIGINAL: Hello82

lookin' good Greg!....are you already running any thrust angles?.....with only 3 mounting holes is it still as easy to get proper thrust angle doing it the washer way after the fact? I have not checked where the holes lie yet....

.....are you going to do baffling?.....over at RCSB link to phil in the UK's super cool 1/4 seafury build there was mention by another flyer about cutting out the baffles because...quote

''When I look at your baffles, I would recommend to make a cut out in the area of the exaust tubes. These tubes are the hottest parts of the engine, your teflon seals will melt, when you don't cool them.''

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...59&PN=1&TPN=23

....not sure if anyone else has experienced this but it was food for thought...(Phil mentioned he never cuts these holes and has never had issues though)...any connection to what Jeff and Todd's issues are maybe?

Matt

photo courtesy of phil at RCSB
Hello Matt,

I'm pretty luck the Scale Wings LA-7 kit was built around the Moki 250 so the thrust angles are already built into the firewall dome. I'm probably going to use baffles!!! It looks pretty cool without them....

Greg
Old 08-21-2009, 12:52 PM
David Jackson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which 3 bladed prop are you using on your 250 and are you satisfied with the performance?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:53 AM
GFoushi

ORIGINAL: David Jackson

Which 3 bladed prop are you using on your 250 and are you satisfied with the performance?
David,

That's a great question!!! It's my first Moki and I'm not sure.... I've heard a 30" x 16" or 32" x 14" maybe someone can point us in the right direction??? It would greatly be appreciated....

Greg

Old 08-23-2009, 05:19 PM
taygher

Hi guys,

I was at a nice airfield this afternoon/evening and flew my C-ARF Yak three more times. On the third flight, after 5-6 minutes, I heard the engine hesitate during a vertical climb and for a moment I thought it would quit om me.. Luckily it came alive again so I could make one last, big turn and land her safely.
The engine ran just fine during the approach, landing and the short taxi back. For my peace of mind I need to understand what happened in the air when the engine almost quit.
After some thinking in the car on my way back (approx. 100kms) I have a theory.

I read in a previous post in this thread that some of you guys have made a hole in the firewall letting the carb suck cool air from inside the fuse of the model. I have no such hole so my carb will have to suck the air inside the cowl and perhaps the air was a bit warmer on the third flight. If I am not mistaken, hot air means leaner mixture for the carb, right?
I was getting a little more relaxed and made several vertical manouvers etc. so the engine could easily have gotten warmer than during the two previous flights.
I have made a CNC-milled spacer plate that is mounted between the engine and the firewall, this spacer has a lot of holes all around to make sure that the carb can get all the air it needs. I will start with opening my needles a little bit as they might be a little to close to the lean limit. Perhaps it would be a good idea also to make a hole in the firewall inside the spacer to let the engine suck the cool air from the fuse as well.

Comments on this would be great, do you guys think that my theory about this could be correct??

Regards,
Taygher

Name:	Bz78488.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1261791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25023.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1261792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17394.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1261793  
Old 08-23-2009, 08:01 PM
dragoonpvw

Hot air makes it run richer. Cold air is denser, more oxygen means leaner run.
Good luck
Paul
Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did cut my baffles to let extra air flow to the exhaust ... not sure if it matters, just thought it was a good idea... You can see it at the bottom of this pic.

Dave

Name:	Sq45956.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1261971  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.