Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
I'm neck deep in working on a couple of projects I have to finish up this weekend. If somebody has a quiz ready to go please feel free to jump in and go with it. If not, I'll get something worked up tomorrow.

Ken
RCKen;

Will you post a question, or are you looking for a relief pitcher? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for waiting guys. I was swamped this weekend in doing some server upgrades for a client and didn't have much time to put together a quiz. But now that I'm done I'll throw out a quiz for you guys.

Ken
Old 11-24-2013, 08:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Since it's been a couple days since the last quiz ended I'll start with 2 clues.

What warbird is this?

1. This plane was in production for over 20 years but still less than 500 were produced.
2. During development several parts of this country's military showed no interest in getting this aircraft.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Monday morning clues

What warbird is this?

1. This plane was in production for over 20 years but still less than 500 were produced.
2. During development several parts of this country's military showed no interest in getting this aircraft.
3. Had both military and later cilivan roles. This plane was also used by other countries as well.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:39 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U-2?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Ernie P.

Monday morning clues

What warbird is this?

3. Had both military and later cilivan roles. This plane was also used by other countries as well.

Just to keep things rolling, I'll try a long shot. The V-22 Osprey? It seems to fit the clues, although I don't think any have actually yet been delivered to foreign countries. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey is an American multi-mission, military, tiltrotor aircraft with both a vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL), and short takeoff and landing (STOL) capability. It is designed to combine the functionality of a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft.

The V-22 originated from the United States Department of Defense Joint-service Vertical take-off/landing Experimental (JVX) aircraft program started in 1981. The team of Bell Helicopter and Boeing Helicopters was awarded a development contract in 1983 for the tiltrotor aircraft. The Bell Boeing team jointly produce the aircraft. The V-22 first flew in 1989, and began flight testing and design alterations; the complexity and difficulties of being the first tiltrotor intended for military service in the world led to many years of development.

The United States Marine Corps began crew training for the Osprey in 2000, and fielded it in 2007; it is supplementing and will eventually replace their CH-46 Sea Knights. The Osprey's other operator, the U.S. Air Force, fielded their version of the tiltrotor in 2009. Since entering service with the U.S. Marine Corps and Air Force, the Osprey has been deployed in both combat and rescue operations over Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Both were great guesses, but no on both.

What warbird is this?

4. First flight 1965
Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Ernie P.

Both were great guesses, but no on both.

What warbird is this?

4. First flight 1965

Then I submit the OV-10 Bronco. Thanks; Ernie P.

The North American Rockwell OV-10 Bronco is a turboprop light attack and observation aircraft. It was developed in the 1960s as a special aircraft for counter-insurgency (COIN) combat, and one of its primary missions was as a forward air control (FAC) aircraft. It can carry up to three tons of external munitions, and loiter for three or more hours.

The aircraft was initially conceived in the early 1960s through an informal collaboration between WH Beckett and Colonel KP Rice, U.S. Marine Corps, who met at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, California, and who also happened to live near each other. The original concept was for a rugged, simple, close air support aircraft integrated with forward ground operations. At the time, the U.S. Army was still experimenting with armed helicopters, and the U.S. Air Force was not interested in close air support.

The concept aircraft was to operate from expedient forward air bases using roads as runways. Speed was to be from very slow to medium subsonic, with much longer loiter times than a pure jet. Efficient turboprop engines would give better performance than piston engines. Weapons were to be mounted on the centerline to get efficient unranged aiming like the Lockheed P-38 Lightning and North American F-86 Sabre aircraft. The inventors' favored strafing weapons were self-loading recoilless rifles, which could deliver aimed explosive shells with less recoil than cannons, and a lower per-round weight than rockets. The airframe was to be designed to avoid the back blast.

Beckett and Rice developed a basic platform meeting these requirements, then attempted to build a fiberglass prototype in a garage. The effort produced enthusiastic supporters and an informal pamphlet describing the concept. WH Beckett, who had retired from the Marine Corps, went to work at North American Aviation to sell the aircraft.

Rice states:
The military definition of STOL (500 ft to a 50 ft obstacle) allows takeoff and landing in most of the areas in which limited war might be fought. In addition, the airplane was designed to use roads so that operation would even be possible in jungle areas where clearings are few and far between. As a result the wingspan was to be limited to twenty feet and a heavy trailing arm type landing gear with a tread of 6.5 ft was provided for operation from roads. Float operation was to be feasible...

...it is quite feasible to design the various components so that it can be disassembled easily and stored in a box that would fit in a 6×6 truck bed together with the equipment needed for re-assembly in the field. It could thus be transported by amphibious shipping and either heli-lifted or driven ashore by a 6x6 truck.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

We have a winner. It was the OV-10 Bronco

What warbird is this?

4. First flight 1965
5. Twin engine plane with a 2 man crew
6. Plane operated both from land and from aircraft carriers
7. Plane was designed for both attack and reconnaissance
8. Planes armament was in a center nacelle.
9. Roles for this plane included aerial radiological reconnaissance, tactical air observation, artillery and naval gunfire spotting, airborne control of tactical air support operations and front line, low-level aerial photography
10. Retired from military service in 1995. Still used in many civilian roles.
11. Manufatured by North American Rockwell
12. The bottom of the fuselage contains sponsons or "stub wings" that improve flight performance by decreasing aerodynamic drag underneath the fuselage.
13. Operational experience showed that there were some weaknesses in this plane's design. It is seriously underpowered. This contributed to crashes in Vietnam in sloping terrain because the pilots could not climb fast enough
Old 11-26-2013, 02:50 AM
Ernie P.

We have a winner. It was the OV-10 Bronco

What warbird is this?

4. First flight 1965
5. Twin engine plane with a 2 man crew
6. Plane operated both from land and from aircraft carriers
7. Plane was designed for both attack and reconnaissance
8. Planes armament was in a center nacelle.
9. Roles for this plane included aerial radiological reconnaissance, tactical air observation, artillery and naval gunfire spotting, airborne control of tactical air support operations and front line, low-level aerial photography
10. Retired from military service in 1995. Still used in many civilian roles.
11. Manufatured by North American Rockwell
12. The bottom of the fuselage contains sponsons or "stub wings" that improve flight performance by decreasing aerodynamic drag underneath the fuselage.
13. Operational experience showed that there were some weaknesses in this plane's design. It is seriously underpowered. This contributed to crashes in Vietnam in sloping terrain because the pilots could not climb fast enough

Thank you, Sir. I will post a question this afternoon. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Ernie P.

Had a few minutes, so I'll pose this question about a lesser known ace who led an interesting life. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) He was not his country’s highest scoring ace.

(2) He flew for three, maybe four, different governments. Or maybe it was only two; it depends on how you count.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) He flew for three, maybe four, different governments. Or maybe it was only two; it depends on how you count.

(3) He flew on behalf of three different countries; that is certain.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) He flew a number of different aircraft, built by a number of different countries.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:57 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) He flew a number of different aircraft, built by a number of different countries.

(5) Some of these aircraft are well known to warbird fans; others, not so much.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) In his first war, he was credited with shooting down one bomber; and damaging another. A claim for a fighter was not approved.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Ernie P.

And an evening clue; a big one. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) In his first war, he was credited with shooting down one bomber; and damaging another. A claim for a fighter was not approved.

(7) In his second war, he scored no victories, only flying a few combat sorties; and indeed defected and surrendered his aircraft to the enemy.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Ernie P.

And a late night bonus clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(7) In his second war, he scored no victories, only flying a few combat sorties; and indeed defected and surrendered his aircraft to the enemy.

(8) After defecting, he began to fly for the former enemy.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(9) He scored no victories for his new leaders; but flew nearly fifty missions.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:21 AM
lean-run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

French pilot Marcel Albert?
(France, Vichy-France, Russia, G.B.)
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by lean-run

Excellent deduction, lean-run. Good thinking!! And, you get to ask the next question. I'll be away for a couple of days starting tomorrow morning; so ask a good one! Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(10) He then voluntarily transferred a group being sent to the aid of another country; although they were allies of the country (Second? Maybe third?) for which he was then flying.

(11) Flying their aircraft, he began to score regularly.

(12) And yet, after all that, the case could be made that he remained loyal to his country from first to last.

Answer: Marcel Albert

Marcel Albert (November 25, 1917 – August 23, 2010) was a French World War II flying ace who flew for the air forces of the Vichy government and the Free French forces, and also for the Royal Air Force. He was born in Paris.

Albert grew up in a working-class family. He became a mechanic, building gearboxes for Renault, and was accepted for pilot training in the French Armée de l'Air in May 1938. After primary and advanced training, he was posted at the fighter training center in Chartres, where he flew Bloch 152, Morane-Saulnier MS.406 and Hawk 75 fighters.

In February 1940, he was assigned to Groupe de Chasse I/3, a unit operating France's top fighter, the Dewoitine D.520. When German troops invaded France in May 1940, his squadron was redeployed to the Reims airfield. On May 14, Albert shot down a Do 17 bomber and later that day, a Messerschmitt Me 109 fighter, although this victory was not confirmed. He also earned a probable victory over a Heinkel He 111 bomber before the armistice.

Under the Vichy government, his squadron was redeployed to Algeria where Albert flew a few missions against the British forces in Gibraltar. On October 14 he and two other pilots defected and surrendered their airplanes to the British.

Having reached England, Albert joined the RAF and flew 47 missions in Spitfires with 340 Squadron.

In late 1942, Albert joined the Normandie fighter group, a Free French fighter unit that was being sent to the Soviet Union to help fight the Germans. Normandie entered the fight in April 1943, flying Russian-built Yak-1 fighters, and later Yak-9.

Albert quickly proved to be one of Normandie's best pilots. His first kill was over a Focke-Wulf Fw 189 on 16 June 1943. In July he claimed 3 more, Albert took command of the 1st escadrille on 4 September 1943. During the offensive against Eastern Prussia in October 1944, he scored 7 victories. Albert was named Hero of the Soviet Union on 28 November 1944.

His score totalled 23 victories (including 15 shared) in 262 combat missions, making him the second highest-scoring French ace of World War II. On 27 November 1944 he was awarded the Soviet Union's highest decoration, the Gold Star and title of "Hero of the Soviet Union" — a reward almost never given to foreigners.

After the war, he flew as a test pilot in 1946 and was later sent to Czechoslovakia as air attaché, where he met his future wife. In 1948, he left the military and moved to the United States with his wife, and lived in Chipley Florida then his last two years Harlingen, Texas in the Rio Grande Valley. Albert died there on August 23, 2010.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Ernie P.

Excellent deduction, lean-run. Good thinking!! And, you get to ask the next question. I'll be away for a couple of days starting tomorrow morning; so ask a good one! Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(10) He then voluntarily transferred a group being sent to the aid of another country; although they were allies of the country (Second? Maybe third?) for which he was then flying.

(11) Flying their aircraft, he began to score regularly.

(12) And yet, after all that, the case could be made that he remained loyal to his country from first to last.

Answer: Marcel Albert

Marcel Albert (November 25, 1917 – August 23, 2010) was a French World War II flying ace who flew for the air forces of the Vichy government and the Free French forces, and also for the Royal Air Force. He was born in Paris.

Albert grew up in a working-class family. He became a mechanic, building gearboxes for Renault, and was accepted for pilot training in the French Armée de l'Air in May 1938. After primary and advanced training, he was posted at the fighter training center in Chartres, where he flew Bloch 152, Morane-Saulnier MS.406 and Hawk 75 fighters.

In February 1940, he was assigned to Groupe de Chasse I/3, a unit operating France's top fighter, the Dewoitine D.520. When German troops invaded France in May 1940, his squadron was redeployed to the Reims airfield. On May 14, Albert shot down a Do 17 bomber and later that day, a Messerschmitt Me 109 fighter, although this victory was not confirmed. He also earned a probable victory over a Heinkel He 111 bomber before the armistice.

Under the Vichy government, his squadron was redeployed to Algeria where Albert flew a few missions against the British forces in Gibraltar. On October 14 he and two other pilots defected and surrendered their airplanes to the British.

Having reached England, Albert joined the RAF and flew 47 missions in Spitfires with 340 Squadron.

In late 1942, Albert joined the Normandie fighter group, a Free French fighter unit that was being sent to the Soviet Union to help fight the Germans. Normandie entered the fight in April 1943, flying Russian-built Yak-1 fighters, and later Yak-9.

Albert quickly proved to be one of Normandie's best pilots. His first kill was over a Focke-Wulf Fw 189 on 16 June 1943. In July he claimed 3 more, Albert took command of the 1st escadrille on 4 September 1943. During the offensive against Eastern Prussia in October 1944, he scored 7 victories. Albert was named Hero of the Soviet Union on 28 November 1944.

His score totalled 23 victories (including 15 shared) in 262 combat missions, making him the second highest-scoring French ace of World War II. On 27 November 1944 he was awarded the Soviet Union's highest decoration, the Gold Star and title of "Hero of the Soviet Union" — a reward almost never given to foreigners.

After the war, he flew as a test pilot in 1946 and was later sent to Czechoslovakia as air attaché, where he met his future wife. In 1948, he left the military and moved to the United States with his wife, and lived in Chipley Florida then his last two years Harlingen, Texas in the Rio Grande Valley. Albert died there on August 23, 2010.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM
lean-run

OK, here goes.

(1) I was derived from an earlier war-bird.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:13 PM
oliveDrab

OK, here goes.

(1) I was derived from an earlier war-bird.
Hellcat, which was derived from Wildcat.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Redback

I'll join the fun and throw in another WAG!

Avro Lancaster, derived from the Manchester.

Terry
Old 11-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Ernie P.

You can't win if you don't play. Nice to see people taking shots. Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.