Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buzz Beurling?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:44 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thomas McGuire
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No correct answers thus far; but here's a couple more clues. That should give you enough to chew on until tomorrow PM. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What famed pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Justifiably famous, even today, for his exploits, he was on top of the heap at the time of his death.

(2) Noted for being insubordinate and impossible to control; following orders only if he felt like it.

(3) After his country was occupied, he joined an allied air force.

(4) Shot down early on while flying an unarmed aircraft on recon (Although he did drop hand grenades while doing so), but rescued.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Josef Frantisek, Czech pilot who flew with the RAF in WWII.

That clue about the hand grenades had me looking at the wrong war for a while. Seemed more like a WWI stunt. like taking potshots at enemy pilots with a pistol.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Josef Frantisek, Czech pilot who flew with the RAF in WWII.

That clue about the hand grenades had me looking at the wrong war for a while. Seemed more like a WWI stunt. like taking potshots at enemy pilots with a pistol.

You nailed it, Top_Gunn; and you're up. Good job! The clue about the hand grenades was intended to get you looking at the wrong war, BTW. Frantisek was a Czech pilot who joined with the Polish Air Force to fight the Germans after Czechoslovakia was annexed. When Poland was overrun, he escaped to France. When France was overrun in turn, he escaped to England and flew with the RAF. Only his obvious skill as a pilot kept him in the cockpit in face of his constant refusal to follow orders or cooperate with his fellow flyers. At his death in 1940, he was, and remains, the highest scoring of all Battle of Britain pilots. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What famed pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Justifiably famous, even today, for his exploits, he was on top of the heap at the time of his death.

(2) Noted for being insubordinate and impossible to control; following orders only if he felt like it.

(3) After his country was occupied, he joined an allied air force.

(4) Shot down early on while flying an unarmed aircraft on recon (Although he did drop hand grenades while doing so), but rescued.

(5) When that country was also overrun, he escaped internment and reached another allied country.

(6) There, he again volunteered to fly; but stayed with an airgroup from the country in (3), rather than a group of exiles from his own country. Probably something to do with a officer of his own country wanting to court martial him. Again, insubordination.

(7) While in this third country’s service, official records do not show any victories for him. He did receive medals, and witnesses have verified several victories of his. He himself claimed to have scored nearly a dozen victories.

(8) When that country, in turn, was overrun, he again escaped to yet another country.

(9) It was while in the service of this fourth country that he rose to the top of his peer list.

(10) He was considered to be so undisciplined, splitting off from his flight on his own at will and refusing to follow orders, that he was branded a danger to his fellow pikots.

(11) However, he was considered to be so valuable a pilot that he was furnished with a spare fighter and left free to do as he might while flying.

Answer: Sergeant Josef Frantisek, DFM with Bar

Sergeant Josef František DFM* (7 October 1914, Otaslavice - 8 October 1940) was a Czech fighter pilot and World War II flying ace who flew for the air forces of Czechoslovakia, Poland and the United Kingdom. He is famous as being the first highest scoring ace in the Battle of Britain.

Born in Otaslavice in 1913, Josef František joined the Czechoslovak Air Force in 1934. After basic training he joined the Czechoslovak Air Force Air Regiment 2. In 1935 he was a Corporal in Air Regiment 1 and returned to Air Regiment 2 as a Sergeant in 1937. In June 1938 he became a fighter pilot serving in the 40th squadron in Prague flying the Avia B-534 and Bk-534 fighter. After Czechoslovakia fell under German occupation (15 March 1939) like many other Czechoslovak airmen he escaped to Poland. Most Czechoslovak airmen then left Poland for France before the start of the Second World War, though František decided to stay and serve with the Polish Air Force.

During the German invasion of Poland in September 1939, František initially evacuated training aircraft from the air base at Dęblin. From 7 September he flew reconnaissance missions in an unarmed training plane, a RWD-8. On 19–20 September he attacked enemy columns near Kamionka Strumiłowa, throwing hand grenades on the troops below. On 20 September he was shot down near Złoczσw, but was saved by a Polish crew that landed nearby. On 22 September František's unit was ordered to withdraw with their remaining aircraft to Romania. František managed to abscond from an internment camp in Romania and reached France via North Africa in October 1939.

In France František elected to remain with the Poles instead of joining the exiled Czechoslovak air force (a probable reason for this decision was a conflict with a Czech officer, who tried to arrest him for insubordination.)

There are no official French records to confirm he flew during the Battle of France, but several witnesses claim he downed 7 to 11 German planes and damaged more while serving in France under a different name. There may have been an identity confusion and may he have been mistaken for ace František Peřina. František himself claimed to have joined Armee de l'Air and scored 11 victories, receiving the customary Croix de Guerre for his first air-to-air victory.

After the fall of France František fled to Britain and after training on 2 August was assigned to No. 303 Polish Squadron based at RAF Northolt, flying Hawker Hurricane fighters. The squadron entered action in the last phase of the Battle of Britain. The first confirmed victory of Sgt. František was a German Bf 109E fighter on 2 September 1940.

A very ill-disciplined pilot, he was seen by his commanding officers as a danger to his colleagues when flying in formation. His British CO Squadron Leader R. Kellett, offered to arrange for František's transfer to a Czech squadron, but František preferred to stay and fight alongside his Polish colleagues. As all pilots were valuable, a compromise was created whereby František was allotted a "spare" aircraft so he could fly as a "guest" of the Squadron as and when he wanted to. Thus, František fought his own private war - accompanying the squadron into the air, but peeling off to fly a lone patrol over Kent, patrolling in the area through which he knew the German aircraft being intercepted would fly on their way back to base, possibly damaged and low on fuel and ammo. During the following month he shot down 17 German aircraft and 1 probable, of which 9 were Bf 109s, becoming one of the top scoring Allied fighter pilots of the Battle of Britain. His last victory was on 30 September 1940 and he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal.

On 8 October 1940, František's Hurricane crashed in Ewell, Surrey during a landing approach after a patrol. Reasons for the crash are not known, but according to some theories, he may have been making aerobatic figures to impress his girlfriend, or it might have been a result of battle fatigue and physical exhaustion.

He was buried in a Polish military cemetery. He was awarded several decorations, among them the Virtuti Militari 5th class and he was the first foreigner awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal with Bar.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Top_Gunn

OK, here's another question about a pilot.

1. A high-scoring ace, he struggled with learning to fly and almost washed out of flight training.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Ernie P.

1. A high-scoring ace, he struggled with learning to fly and almost washed out of flight training.
Hmmm...... "A high scoring ace"? With a very few exceptions, almost any of them. It seems the better aces were not usually the better "natural" pilots. But I suppose that's not the answer for which you are looking; so I'll stay tuned for more clues. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Top_Gunn

2. In a conflict some years before the war he fought in, his father was on the side opposing the country for which he fought.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 AM
Top_Gunn

Morning clue.

2. In a conflict some years before the war he fought in, his father was on the side opposing the country for which he fought.

3. About a month before he was killed, he received a promotion which made him the youngest person in his service ever to have held that rank.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Top_Gunn

Cuisine clue.

3. About a month before he was killed, he received a promotion which made him the youngest person in his service ever to have held that rank.

4. When thinking about either his native land or the country he fought for, "cuisine" is far from being the first word that comes to mind. "Beer," on the other hand ....
Old 03-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Redback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting 2 and 34 together I think I know the two countries referred to!

Sill a lot of ground to cover though!

Terry
Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Redback

Not the original track I was thinking about but I am going to try Brendan Finucane

Terry
Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 AM
Top_Gunn

Brendan "Paddy" Finucane it is! He was born and grew up in Dublin. His father was a member of the Irish Volunteers, which declared Ireland independent, seized the Dublin post office, and briefly fought the British in the Easter Rising of 1916. The family moved to England in the 30's and Finucane earned a short-service commission in the RAF. His training included one crash and consistently below-average evaluations, but by 1942 he had 28 victories (plus some probables) and was the youngest Wing Commander the RAF had ever had. His Spitfire was hit by ground fire (from a machine gun, not AA) over France and damaged. He ditched at sea and apparently was unable to get out before the plane sank.

You're up Redback. (Were you originally thinking about Germany? My wife insists that German food is cuisine, except for the cabbage, but there is room for disagreement there.)
Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its called sauerkraut... not cabbage... and its awesome :-)

This thread is awesome... I have yet to answer one... but I've been following daily now for several months. Keep it up!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Ernie P.

Brendan "Paddy" Finucane it is! He was born and grew up in Dublin. His father was a member of the Irish Volunteers, which declared Ireland independent, seized the Dublin post office, and briefly fought the British in the Easter Rising of 1916. The family moved to England in the 30's and Finucane earned a short-service commission in the RAF. His training included one crash and consistently below-average evaluations, but by 1942 he had 28 victories (plus some probables) and was the youngest Wing Commander the RAF had ever had. His Spitfire was hit by ground fire (from a machine gun, not AA) over France and damaged. He ditched at sea and apparently was unable to get out before the plane sank.

You're up Redback. (Were you originally thinking about Germany? My wife insists that German food is cuisine, except for the cabbage, but there is room for disagreement there.)
I have ventured from one side of this world to the other. In all my travels, I have yet to see a sign advertising or identifying an "English Restaurant". There may be a reason. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Redback

Al

I was originally looking for a South African pilot, of which many served valiantly with the RAF. Biltong is not exactly haute cuisine. Boer war would have worked for clue 2. Couldn't find one that fitted the rest of the clues so I started looking elsewhere.

Will try and come up with another question, however my employers would like me to work for the next few hours!!

Terry
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Redback

My word it's getting harder and harder to come up with a question. Let's see how this one goes:-

This between wars aircraft was built by a company not well known for aircraft production to meet a specification for a "general purpose" aircraft
Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Redback
My word it's getting harder and harder to come up with a question. Let's see how this one goes:-

This between wars aircraft was built by a company not well known for aircraft production to meet a specification for a "general purpose" aircraft

Just playing a hunch. The Wirraway? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Wirraway (an Aboriginal word meaning "challenge") was a training and general purpose military aircraft manufactured in Australia by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) between 1939 and 1946. The aircraft was an Australian development of the North American NA-16 training aircraft.

During World War II, the Wirraway saw action, in a makeshift light bomber/ground attack capacity, against Japanese forces. It was also the starting point for the design of an "emergency fighter", the CAC Boomerang.

Three Royal Australian Air Force officers, led by Wing Commander Lawrence Wackett, were sent on an overseas evaluation mission in 1936 to select an aircraft type for local production in Australia. The aircraft selected was the North American Aviation (NAA) NA-16. Production licences were obtained in 1937 and two NA-16s were purchased from North American Aviation to act as prototypes. The first of these two aircraft was the fixed undercarriage NA-16-1A (similar in design to the BT-9); the second was the retractable undercarriage NA-16-2K (similar to the BC-1). These two aircraft were also known by their NAA project accounting codes (NA-32 for the NA-16-1A and NA-33 for the NA-16-2K) sometimes leading to confusion. These accounting codes (or "charge" codes) were used internally by NAA to track their projects and were not the actual aircraft model numbers. The NA-16-1A arrived in Australia in August 1937 and following assembly flew for the first time at Laverton on 3 September of that year, exactly two years before war was declared on Nazi Germany by the United Kingdom and France. The NA-16-2K arrived in Australia in September 1937 and likewise flew shortly afterwards. These aircraft were given the RAAF serials A20-1 and A20-2 within that organisation's numbering system.

The NA-16-2K was the type selected for production. With several detail and structural changes, such as provision for two forward-firing guns instead of the NA-16's one, and strengthened structure to allow dive-bombing operations, the first CA-1 Wirraway, RAAF serial A20-3, made its maiden flight on 27 March 1939. This aircraft was kept by CAC for testing for several months and the first two Wirraways delivered to the RAAF were A20-4 and A20-5, on 10 July 1939. By the outbreak of World War II the RAAF had received a total of six Wirraways. Forty CA-1 Wirraways were built before the CA-3 entered production. Although there were detail changes to the design, the change in designation had more to do with the next batch of Wirraways being built to a different government contract than any real difference between the two sub-types. In February 1942 the Australian War Cabinet also approved the production of 105 Wirrway interceptors "on the basis of reinsurance against inability to obtain fighter aircraft from overseas". It was also decided then to reject an "order for 245 Wirraways received from Great Britain". These however were never built. The CA-5, CA-7, CA-8 and CA-9 were all broadly similar to the CA-3 and it was only the CA-16 that had substantial design changes. These included wing modifications to allow a heavier bomb load and dive brakes for dive-bombing. Sets of 'dive bomber' wings (as fitted to the CA-16) were built under the designation of CA-10A (the CA-10 being a dive-bomber variant that was not built) and retrofitted to CA-3s, −5s, −7s and −9s; 113 Wirraways were converted. Seventeen Wirraways were modified post-war and delivered to the Royal Australian Navy (RAN), the modifications were incorporated under the CAC designation CA-20. The 17 included a CA-1, a CA-5 and numbers of all subsequent variants and operated under their RAAF serials. Production continued until after the end of World War II; CA-16 A20-757; the last of 755 Wirraways built, was delivered to the RAAF in July 1946.

As its American "cousin" (both types having been derived from the NA-16) the T-6 did for many Allied Air Forces during WWII, the Wirraway served as one of the RAAF's main trainer types from 1939. The type made its last operational flight in 1959 after being gradually replaced by the new Winjeel trainer. Beside serving as a trainer aircraft they were also operated in combat roles, including as an emergency fighter. At the outbreak of the Pacific War in December 1941 Wirraways equipped seven RAAF squadrons: Nos 4, 5, 12, 22, 23, 24 and 25.

A group of five Wirraways based at Kluang in Malaya for training purposes was pressed into combat against Japanese ground invasion forces; these were generally flown by New Zealanders with Australian observers, and had some successes.

On 6 January 1942, Wirraways of No. 24 Squadron attempted to intercept Japanese seaplanes flying over New Britain; only one managed to engage an enemy aircraft, marking the first air-to-air combat between RAAF and Japanese forces. Two weeks later, eight 24 Squadron Wirraways defended the city of Rabaul from over 100 Japanese attacking bombers and fighters, resulting in the destruction or severe damage of all but two of the Australian aircraft. On 12 December that year, Pilot Officer J. S. Archer shot down a Japanese A6M Zero aircraft after he spotted it 1000 feet (about 300 metres) below him and dived on it, opening fire and sending the Zero hurtling into the sea. This was the only occasion that a Wirraway shot down another aircraft (and is one more than the total of aircraft shot down by its fighter offspring, the Boomerang). Fighter versions of the Wirraway operated over New Guinea for some time on ground attack and other Army co-operation tasks until other RAAF aircraft such as the Boomerang and American Curtiss P-40s were delivered to replace them.

Many front-line squadrons of the RAAF had at least one Wirraway attached to serve as a squadron 'hack', that is, an aircraft employed on errands such as visits to headquarters or other bases. At least one aircraft (formerly A20-527) flew as part of Headquarters Flight 5th Air Force in full United States Army Air Forces markings.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Redback

Nope, not the Wirraway. Don't believe the stories of New Zealanders flying them, Kiwis are flightless!! (please don't tell the wife I made that crack!)

This one was a new one on me, despite being built not far from where I grew up (which was not in Oz)

Another clue in the morning.

Terry
Old 03-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Redback

Time for another clue:

Single engine two seater biplane
And bonus clue: only one made

Terry
Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 AM
Ernie P.

Time for another clue:

Terry

The Armstrong Whitworth A.W.19 would seem to fit, assuming you once lived near Newcastle upon Tyne. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Armstrong Whitworth A.W.19 was a two/three-seat single-engine biplane, built as a general-purpose military aircraft in the mid-1930s. A newer, monoplane aircraft was preferred and only one A.W.19 was built.

Multi-tasking "general purpose" aircraft were attractive to a British Air Ministry keen to use air power to help control a large Empire. Manufacturers welcomed these aircraft in the hope of large contracts. So when Air Ministry Specification G.9/31 was issued for a Westland Wapiti replacement capable of filling roles as a bomber (day or night, conventional, dive or torpedo), and as an army co-operation or reconnaissance aircraft, the Ministry received 30 designs. Only three companies were awarded single prototype contracts, but another five decided to submit private venture machines. The Armstrong Whitworth A.W.19 was one of the latter group.

The A.W.19 was a single-engine single-bay biplane with unswept, constant chord wings of mild stagger. The wings were fabric covered over a structure built up around rolled-steel strip spars and aluminium alloy ribs. Both planes carried ailerons and there were automatic slots on the upper one. The lower wing was cranked, with negative dihedral over a short centre section, and the main undercarriage legs joined the wing at the end of this section. The main undercarriage was split, a necessary feature in a torpedo bomber carrying its long weapon under its fuselage; there was a small tailwheel. The tailplane was externally braced and both elevators and rudder were balanced. The square-section fuselage was of steel tube construction, aluminium covered at the front and canvas covered at the rear. Somewhat unusually, the fuselage filled the space between the wings, deep enough for a spacious, windowed cabin for the observer/navigator. This cabin was between both the wings and the two cockpits; the pilot sat forward of the upper wing, with his head above it and the gunner's position was well aft of the trailing edge. The latter had a ring-mounted .303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis Gun, and there was an unusual metal tunnel that could be slid rearwards to protect him from the elements when the gun was not in use. There was also a single, forward-firing .303 in (7.7 mm) machine gun operated by the pilot. At the nose, the fuselage diameter decreased to the engine mounting, holding a supercharged 810 hp (600 kW) Armstrong Siddeley Tiger IV. It was enclosed in a long chord cowling.

The A.W.19 first flew on 26 February 1934. It flew well, but suffered from engine overheating. Unfortunately for manufacturers competing for Specification G.9/31, Vickers had, in the three years since the specification's release produced the monoplane Vickers Wellesley as a private venture, and the Air Ministry were convinced that this was much the superior machine; it had a specification written round it, and the early specification and all machines built to it were abandoned. The A.W.19 continued in its manufacturer's service as a test bed for the Tiger engines. A Tiger VI was installed in 1935 and a Tiger VII in 1935; it continued as a test bed until 1940.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Redback

Ernie, you are tantalisingly close, but I grew up a fair way (at least in UK terms!) south west of Tyneside! A couple more clues:

First flew 1935
Another aircraft maker from the same area is much better known.

Terry
Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Ernie P.

Ernie, you are tantalisingly close, but I grew up a fair way (at least in UK terms!) south west of Tyneside! A couple more clues:

First flew 1935
Another aircraft maker from the same area is much better known.

Terry
Hmmm... Can't find my map to check directions, but the Parnall G.4/31 seems to fit the rest of the clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Parnall G.4/31 was a 1930s design from the George Parnall and Company to meet Air Ministry Specification G.4/31 for a "general purpose" aircraft.

The Parnall G.4/31 design would be as a replacement for the Westland Wapiti and Fairey Gordon. As such it needed to be usable as a day and night bomber as well as the reconnaissance, torpedo and dive-bombing roles. Designs were offered by Handley Page, Vickers, Fairey and Armstrong Whitworth as well as Parnall.

The G.4/31 was a large angular biplane with fixed spatted wheel spats powered by a 690 hp (515 kW) Bristol Pegasus IM3 with a Townend ring. There was a single forward-firing machine gun for the pilot and a Scarff ring mounted Lewis gun for the observer. Underwing bomb racks on the lower wings and provision to carry a torpedo between the main undercarriage units was also envisioned.

After the prototype was rolled out in 1935, a number of changes were made to the airframe and tail surfaces, when results from wind tunnel testing by the Royal Aeronautical Establishment (R.A.E.) with models revealed problems in spinning. Modifications to the fin, rudder, elevators and rear fuselage were necessary.

First flying at the Parnall factory in Yate, Bristol, in 1935 with Captain Howard John Saint at the controls, it was not delivered for evaluation by the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) at Martlesham Heath until early 1936. The biplane Vickers Type 253 had already been selected to meet the specification and then cancelled when the Ministry saw that Vickers monoplane alternative to the Type 253 was superior and that entered service as the Vickers Wellesley.

The sole Parnall G.4/31 (serial K2772) prototype was used for armament trials by the A&AED until March 1937 when it was damaged in a crash and subsequently scrapped. The G.4/31 was the final military design from the company.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Redback

The Parnall G4/31 it is. The Parnall company manufactured a number of aircraft in th 30s, many with unusual names (eg the Parnall Prawn1). The Yate factory made gun turrets and was bombed on at least one occasion with many casualties.

Post war the company became better known for making washing machines and later cookers!

Ernie, once more you are up!

Terry
Old 03-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Ernie P.

The Parnall G4/31 it is. The Parnall company manufactured a number of aircraft in th 30s, many with unusual names (eg the Parnall Prawn1). The Yate factory made gun turrets and was bombed on at least one occasion with many casualties.

Post war the company became better known for making washing machines and later cookers!

Ernie, once more you are up!

Terry

Good question! And yes, almost anything in England is SW of Tyneside. Sorry to be hogging the floor, but I get in these moods occasionally. I'll try to be better. I promise. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) This aircraft was considered quite advanced for its time.

(2) Although not built in large numbers, it was an operational aircraft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.