Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:07 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

1000 Plane Raid
Doolittle Raid

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 05-11-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:35 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Redback
OK, try this one:

1. This series of bombing raids achieved a particular distinction at the time, though this was surpassed in a later war.
Redback;

My first thought is you are referring to Operation Rugen, the bombing of Guernica, in the Spanish Civil War. This was one of the first uses of "terror" bombing to break the will of a civil populace, leading to a military victory. Thanks; Ernie P.

The bombing of Guernica (26 April 1937) was an aerial attack on the Basque town of Guernica during the Spanish Civil War. It was carried out at the behest of the Spanish nationalist government by its allies, the German air force's Condor Legion and the Italian Aviazione Legionaria, under the code name: Operation Rόgen.

The bombing is considered one of the first raids on a defenseless civilian population by a modern air force.

The number of victims of the attack is still disputed; the Basque government reported 1,654 people killed, although modern figures suggest between 126 (later revised by the authors of the study to 153) and 400 civilians died. Russian archives reveal 800 deaths on 1 May 1937, but this number may not include victims who later died of their injuries in hospitals or whose bodies were discovered buried in the rubble.

The bombing was the subject of a famous anti-war painting by Pablo Picasso. It was also depicted in a woodcut by the German artist Heinz Kiwitz, who was later killed fighting in the International Brigades. The bombing shocked and inspired many other artists, including a sculpture by Renι Ichι, one of the first electroacoustic music pieces by Patrick Ascione, of a musical composition by Renι-Louis Baron and a poem by Paul Eluard (Victory of Guernica). There is also a short film from 1950 by Alain Resnais entitled Guernica.

James Corum states that a prevalent view about the Luftwaffe and its Blitzkrieg operations was that it had a doctrine of terror bombing, in which civilians were deliberately targeted in order to break the will or aid the collapse of an enemy. After the bombing of Guernica in 1937 and of Rotterdam in 1940, it was commonly assumed that terror bombing was a part of Luftwaffe doctrine. During the interwar period the Luftwaffe leadership officially rejected the concept of terror bombing, and confined the air arms use to battlefield support of interdiction operations.

The vital industries and transportation centers that would be targeted for shutdown were valid military targets. It could be claimed civilians were not to be targeted directly, but the breakdown of production would affect their morale and will to fight. German legal scholars of the 1930s carefully worked out guidelines for what type of bombing was permissible under international law. While direct attacks against civilians were ruled out as "terror bombing", the concept of attacking vital war industries-and probable heavy civilian casualties and breakdown of civilian morale-was ruled as acceptable.

General Walther Wever compiled a doctrine known as The Conduct of the Aerial War in 1935. In this document, which the Luftwaffe adopted, the Luftwaffe rejected Giulio Douhet's theory of terror bombing. Terror bombing was deemed to be "counter-productive", increasing rather than destroying the enemy's will to resist. Such bombing campaigns were regarded as diversion from the Luftwaffe's main operations, destruction of the enemy armed forces. According to Corum, the bombings of Guernica, Rotterdam and Warsaw were tactical missions in support of military operations and were not intended as strategic terror attacks.

The bombing shattered the city's defenders' will to resist, allowing the rebel Nationalists to overrun it. This indirectly supported Douhet's theory, which expected this result. The rebels faced little resistance and took complete control of the town by 29 April. The attacks destroyed the majority of Guernica. Three quarters of the city's buildings were reported completely destroyed, and most others sustained damage. Among infrastructure spared were the arms factories Unceta and Company and Talleres de Guernica along with the Assembly House Casa de Juntas and the Gernikako Arbola. Since the Luftwaffe was then operating on Wever's theory of bombing as a military action, the mission was considered a failure as a result. However, the rubble and chaos that the raid created severely restricted the movement of Republican forces.

Since his appointment on the northern front, the Soviet aviation advisor Arjιnoukhine had insistently called for air reinforcements, motivating his demands by high losses inflicted by nationalist aviation over Republican troops as well as civilian population. On 8, 9 May I-15 and 6 R-Zet were sent by air from central Spain through Toulouse, in France. Planes were immediately immobilized by non-intervention committee, and later sent back unarmed to central Spain.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, try this one:

1. This series of bombing raids achieved a particular distinction at the time, though this was surpassed in a later war.
Fire Bombing of Japan by B-29's,
Surpassed by "Rowling Thunder" B-52's in Vietnam.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:23 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta agree with Ernie, the only other issue I could come up with were the Italians using Gas(tear/mustard) in Eithopia .
Semper Fi
Old 05-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Redback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No correct answers so far. Another cluse

2. 2 different types of aircraft were involved in these raids, with different roles

And a bonus clue - Not the 100 bomber raid, far from it!

Terry
Old 05-11-2015, 05:32 PM
uncljoe

[h=3]Doolittle Raid[edit][/h]

A B-25 Mitchell taking off from USS Hornet on 18 April 1942

Main article: Doolittle Raid
USAAF aircraft bombed Japan for the first time in mid-April 1942. In an operation conducted primarily to raise morale in the United States and to avenge the attack on Pearl Harbor, 16 B-25 Mitchell medium bombers were carried from San Francisco to within range of Japan on the aircraft carrier USS Hornet. These aircraft were launched on 18 April, and individually bombed targets in Tokyo, Yokohama, Yokosuka, Nagoya and Kobe. The Japanese air defense units were taken by surprise, and all the B-25s escaped without serious damage. The aircraft then continued to China and the Soviet Union, though several crashed in Japanese-held territory after running out of fuel.[SUP][21][/SUP] Japanese casualties were 50 killed and over 400 wounded. About 200 houses were also destroyed.[SUP][22][/SUP]
Although the Doolittle Raid caused little damage, it had important ramifications. The attack raised morale in the United States and its commander, Lieutenant Colonel James H. Doolittle, was seen as a hero.[SUP][23][/SUP] The weak state of the country's air defenses greatly embarrassed the Japanese military leadership, and four fighter groups were transferred from the Pacific to defend the home islands. In an attempt to prevent further naval raids, the IJN launched an offensive in the Pacific Ocean which ended in defeat during the Battle of Midway.[SUP][24][/SUP] The Japanese Army also conducted the Zhejiang-Jiangxi Campaign to capture the airfields in central China at which the Doolittle Raiders had intended to land. This offensive achieved its objectives and resulted in the deaths of 250,000 Chinese soldiers and civilians; many of these civilian deaths were due to war crimes.[SUP][25][/SUP] The destruction of the airfields and heavy casualties badly damaged China's war effort.[SUP][26][/SUP] The IJA also began developing fire balloons capable of carrying incendiary and anti-personnel bombs from Japan to the continental United States.[SUP][27][/SUP]
[h=3]Bombing of the Kuril Islands[edit][/h]Following the Doolittle Raid, the next air attacks on Japan were made against the Kuril Islands in mid-1943. The liberation of Alaska's Attu Island in May 1943 during the Aleutian Islands Campaign provided the USAAF with bases within range of the Kurils. As part of the preparations for the liberation of Kiska Island in the Aleutians, the Eleventh Air Force conducted a series of raids against the Kurils to suppress the Japanese air units stationed there. The first of these attacks was made against southern Shumshu and northern Paramushiru by eight B-25s on 10 July. The Kurils were attacked again on 18 July by six B-24 Liberator heavy bombers, and the unopposed liberation of Kiska (Operation Cottage) took place on 15 August.[SUP][28][/SUP]
Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Redback

No sir, not the Doolittle raid. Will wait a little longer before posting another clue.

Terry
Old 05-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Ernie P.

2. 2 different types of aircraft were involved in these raids, with different roles

Terry

Well, Terry; that was a bit of a surprise. Hmmm.... Okay; guess I'll have to work through the list. How about the bombing of London in WWI and WWII? Thanks; Ernie P.

The best-known German strategic bombing campaign during World War I was the campaign against England, although strategic bombing raids were carried out or attempted on other fronts. The main campaign against England started in January 1915 using airships. From then until the end of World War I the German Navy and Army Air Services mounted over 50 bombing raids on the United Kingdom. These were generally referred to as "Zeppelin raids": although both Zeppelin and Schόtte-Lanz airships were used, the Zeppelin company was much better known and was responsible for producing the majority of the airships used. Weather conditions and night flying conditions made airship navigation and therefore bombing accuracy difficult. Bombs were often dropped miles off target (one raid on London actually bombed Hull) and accurate targeting of military installations was impossible. The civilian casualties made the Zeppelins an object of hatred, and they were widely dubbed “baby-killers”. With the development of effective defensive measures the airship raids became increasingly hazardous, and in 1917 the airships were largely replaced by aeroplanes.

Although the direct military effect of the raids was small, they caused widespread alarm, leading to the diversion of substantial resources from the Western Front and some disruption to industrial production. Concern about the conduct of defence against the raids, the responsibility for which was divided between the Admiralty and the Army, led to a parliamentary inquiry under Jan Smuts, whose report was to lead to the creation of the Royal Air Force (RAF) on 1 April 1918. The defence organisation developed by the British was an important precursor of the fighter direction system that would prove vital in winning the Battle of Britain.[SUP][1][/SUP] The raids were also influential because they led to an overestimation of both the material and psychological effects of the bombing of cities.

Airships made about 51 bombing raids on England during the war. These killed 557 and injured another 1,358 people. More than 5,000 bombs were dropped on towns across Britain, causing £1.5 million in damage. 84 airships took part, of which 30 were lost, either shot down or lost in accidents. Aeroplanes carried out 27 raids, dropping 246,774 lb (111,935 kg) of bombs for the loss of 62 aircraft, resulting in 835 deaths, 1972 injured and £1,418,272 of material damage
Old 05-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Ernie P.

Terry

Well, Terry; that was a bit of a surprise. Hmmm.... Okay; guess I'll have to work through the list. How about the bombing of London in WWI and WWII? Thanks; Ernie P.

The best-known German strategic bombing campaign during World War I was the campaign against England, although strategic bombing raids were carried out or attempted on other fronts. The main campaign against England started in January 1915 using airships. From then until the end of World War I the German Navy and Army Air Services mounted over 50 bombing raids on the United Kingdom. These were generally referred to as "Zeppelin raids": although both Zeppelin and Schόtte-Lanz airships were used, the Zeppelin company was much better known and was responsible for producing the majority of the airships used. Weather conditions and night flying conditions made airship navigation and therefore bombing accuracy difficult. Bombs were often dropped miles off target (one raid on London actually bombed Hull) and accurate targeting of military installations was impossible. The civilian casualties made the Zeppelins an object of hatred, and they were widely dubbed “baby-killers”. With the development of effective defensive measures the airship raids became increasingly hazardous, and in 1917 the airships were largely replaced by aeroplanes.

Although the direct military effect of the raids was small, they caused widespread alarm, leading to the diversion of substantial resources from the Western Front and some disruption to industrial production. Concern about the conduct of defence against the raids, the responsibility for which was divided between the Admiralty and the Army, led to a parliamentary inquiry under Jan Smuts, whose report was to lead to the creation of the Royal Air Force (RAF) on 1 April 1918. The defence organisation developed by the British was an important precursor of the fighter direction system that would prove vital in winning the Battle of Britain.[SUP][1][/SUP] The raids were also influential because they led to an overestimation of both the material and psychological effects of the bombing of cities.

Airships made about 51 bombing raids on England during the war. These killed 557 and injured another 1,358 people. More than 5,000 bombs were dropped on towns across Britain, causing £1.5 million in damage. 84 airships took part, of which 30 were lost, either shot down or lost in accidents. Aeroplanes carried out 27 raids, dropping 246,774 lb (111,935 kg) of bombs for the loss of 62 aircraft, resulting in 835 deaths, 1972 injured and £1,418,272 of material damage
Old 05-12-2015, 01:32 AM
Redback

Nope, not the raids on London, either WW1 or WW2. Another clue:

3. Only two aircraft deployed to make the first raid, one of these was forced to turn back due to a faulty rubber window seal!

Terry
Old 05-12-2015, 07:11 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Faulklands attack by the brits
Old 05-12-2015, 06:02 PM
Redback

And Elmshoot is declared the winner!

During the 1982 Falklands War, Operations Black Buck 1 to Black Buck 7 were a series of seven extremely long-range ground attack missions by Royal Air Force Vulcan bombers of the RAF Waddington Wing, comprising aircraft from 44 Squadron, 50 Squadron, 101 Squadron planned against Argentine positions in the Falkland Islands, of which five were actually flown.

The raids were made by Vulcans operating from Ascention Island, made possible by support from relays of Hanley Page Victor tankers.

At the time, with a round trip distance of 12,600 miles for the return journey, these were the longest ranged bombing raids in history, though this was later surpassed in the 1991 Gulf War by B52 raids on Iraq from continental USA.

Opinions vary on whether the effects of the raids were commensurate with the logistics involved.

Elmshoot, you are up

Terry
Old 05-12-2015, 07:05 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I think this is my third correct response in this contest two out of three didn't have to do with a specific airplane but an event.
This one was easy since I had just watched the story from a BBC broadcast and they were interviewing the crew and they talked about the seal failure causing the loss of pressurization.
Equally important missions have failed with other seemingly insignificant failures.
9+ hours followed by a day carrier landing is my personal record, maybe 4000 miles. I can't imagine 12,600 miles!
Give me a day.
Sparky
Old 05-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Redback

My bad, should read 12,600 kilometres, not miles.

No distance at all really!! I flew 13,800 Km non stop from Dallas to Sydney last year. So what if it was in an A380 not a military plane!!

Terry
Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM
uncljoe

Yo Sparky.... your question is........
Old 05-15-2015, 03:13 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
I think this is my third correct response in this contest two out of three didn't have to do with a specific airplane but an event.
This one was easy since I had just watched the story from a BBC broadcast and they were interviewing the crew and they talked about the seal failure causing the loss of pressurization.
Equally important missions have failed with other seemingly insignificant failures.
9+ hours followed by a day carrier landing is my personal record, maybe 4000 miles. I can't imagine 12,600 miles!
Give me a day.
Sparky

Sir;

Please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 PM
uncljoe

Ernie, Guess Sparky got "Dutch Elm disease" . I say If nothing posted by Saturday evening we open it to anyone who has a question .
Semper Fi
Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by uncljoe
Ernie, Guess Sparky got "Dutch Elm disease" . I say If nothing posted by Saturday evening we open it to anyone who has a question .
Semper Fi

Concur. Okay; the floor is now open to any one with a question. First to post has the lead. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:31 AM
Ernie P.

Okay; seeing no other takers.... Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:
  1. The genesis of this aircraft was an attempt to create a combat aircraft with a decided speed advantage.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:33 AM
uncljoe

How about the Me 262 ?
Old 05-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Ernie P.

How about the Me 262 ?

No, Sir; but your participation will be rewarded by a bonus clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  1. The genesis of this aircraft was an attempt to create a combat aircraft with a decided speed advantage.
  2. The plan was to design an aircraft that would be small and light.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:18 PM
uncljoe

Another SWAG F 20 Northrop freedom fighter .

Semper Fi
Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Ernie P.

Another SWAG F 20 Northrop freedom fighter .

Semper Fi

Well, uncljoe; you like to play the longshots as much as I do. Not a bad guess, and it does meet the clues; but not the plane for which we seek. But here's another bonus clue to narrow your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  3. And, it would have less drag than most contemporary aircraft.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

F-16
Old 05-18-2015, 05:29 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
F-16

No Sir; not the F-16; but thanks for playing. Maybe this morning clue will help you. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  3. And, it would have less drag than most contemporary aircraft.
  4. Also, a lot of work was done on streamlining the design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.