Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 10:44 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by proptop
I'm thinking of that plane George Peppard flys at the end of The Blue Max movie...
(insert James Mason voice here...Take her up Stahel, and let's see some real flying! )
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Max
The "death-trap" monoplane at the end of the film, known as the "Adler" (German for eagle) in the novel, may have been inspired by the Fokker E.V, which was a late-war monoplane design which did indeed rapidly gather a reputation for poor construction of the wing, resulting in several crashes before being modified and re-designated the Fokker D.VIII. In the film it is portrayed by Patrick Lindsay's Morane 230 Parasol trainer, with a faired-over front seat to simulate a monoplane fighter visually.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey HoundDog...that's what I was talkin' about...I was hoping to spur someone on, towards possably the correct answer?

After reading a few pages back about the number of people viewing vs. participating in this thread, I just wanted to pop back in for a moment...to say "Hi"...
Old 12-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey HoundDog...that's what I was talkin' about...I was hoping to spur someone on, towards possably the correct answer?

After reading a few pages back about the number of people viewing vs. participating in this thread, I just wanted to pop back in for a moment...to say "Hi"...
Hey, proptop; good to see you posting again. You've been missed. As to RCKen, it appears he has been inundated with work. Let's give him a bit of time; and we'll see if any correct answers have been submitted. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:06 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
... RCKen,... Let's give him a bit of time; and we'll see if any correct answers have been submitted.
Meanwhile, I'm betting that HoundDog got it right:
Originally Posted by HoundDog
Fokker E.V, which was a late-war monoplane design which did indeed rapidly gather a reputation for poor construction of the wing, resulting in several crashes before being modified and re-designated the Fokker D.VIII.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I had to go back and read through the wiki myself and Proptop is correct in that the plane he is referring to is a Fokker D-VIII

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) This warbird was certainly the last in one respect; and certainly the last to perform a certain feat.

(2) It was designed to utilize what was available in the way of engines and materials.

(3) Two newer engines weren’t ready; so it had to use an older design.

(4) Nevertheless, it still proved to be quite fast for it’s day.

(5) Enemy pilots reported it was hard to see or to pick out in the air.

(6) In pre-production trials, this aircraft was only marginally bested by aircraft utilizing much more powerful engines.

(7) Parasol winged.

(8) The first examples to go into combat suffered some very serious problems.

(9) Although very competitive with the latest enemy designs, it had one problem: The wing had a tendency to collapse.

(10) After the problem was corrected, the aircraft performed well.

(11) The "problem" may have been meddling by military officials.

(12) Or, it could have been sloppy, even criminally sloppy, manufacturing.

(13) Noted for being fast climbing.

Answer: The Fokker D-8; the last Fokker design to see action in WWI and the victor in the last combat between enemy aircraft.

The Fokker E.V was a Germanparasol-monoplane fighter aircraft designed by Reinhold Platz and built by Fokker-Flugzeugwerke. The E.V was the last Fokker design to become operational with the Luftstreitkrδfte, entering service in the last months of World War I. After several fatal accidents due to wing failures, the aircraft was modified and redesignated Fokker D.VIII. Dubbed the Flying Razor by Allied pilots, the D.VIII had the distinction of scoring the last aerial victory of the war.

In early 1918, Fokker produced several rotary-powered monoplane prototypes. Of these, Fokker submitted the V.26 and V.28, small parasol-winged monoplanes with his usual steel-tube fuselages, for the second fighter trials at Adlershof in May/June 1918. The V.28 was tested with both the 108 kW (145 hp) Oberursel UR.III and 119 kW (160 hp) Goebel Goe.III, though neither of these engines were ready for operational service. The V.26 utilized the standard Oberursel UR.II engine, producing only 82 kW (110 hp). While this engine was obsolete, the V.26's low drag and light weight meant that it was nevertheless quite fast. The Fokker designs were only barely beaten by the Siemens-Schuckert D.III with the complex bi-rotary Siemens-Halske Sh.III engine.

In the end, the V.26 was ordered into production as the Fokker E.V. Four hundred were ordered immediately with either the UR.III or Goe.III. Because neither engine was available in any quantity, all production examples mounted the UR.II.

The first production E.V aircraft were shipped to Jasta 6 in late July. The new monoplane was also delivered to Jasta 1, Jasta 19, Jasta 24 and Jasta 36. Leutnant Emil Rolff scored the first kill in an E.V on August 17, 1918, but two days later he was killed when his aircraft's wing collapsed in flight. After another E.V of Jasta 19 crashed, Idflieg grounded all E.V aircraft. Pending the investigation of these wing failures, production ceased at the Fokker Flugzeugwerke. According to Fokker, the wing failures were caused by the army technical bureau, which had forced him to modify the original design by over-strengthening the rear main spar. This faulty design allegedly caused the wing to twist and fail. Fokker claimed that this defect was resolved by reverting to his original design.

According to most other accounts, the source of the wing failures lay not in the design, but in shoddy and rushed construction. Fokker had subcontracted construction of the E.V wings to the Gebrόder Perzina Pianoforte Fabrik factory. Due to poor quality control, inferior timber had been used and the spar "caps", forming the upper and lower members of each spar assembly, had been placed too far apart during the fabrication. Because the resulting spars were vertically too large to pass through the ribs, excess material was simply planed away from the exposed upper and lower surfaces of the cap pieces, leaving the assembled spars dangerously weak. Other problems included water damage to glued parts, and pins that splintered the spars, rather than securing them.

Tests showed that, when properly constructed, the original E.V wing had a considerable margin of safety. Satisfied that the basic design was safe,Idflieg authorized continued production, after personnel changes and improved quality control measures were introduced at the Perzina factory.

Deliveries resumed in October. At the direction of the Kogenluft (Kommandierenden General der Luftstreitkrδfte), Idflieg redesignated the modified aircraft D.VIII. Henceforth, the "E." and "Dr." designations were abolished and all fighters received the "D." appellation. The D.VIII commenced operations on 24 October with Jasta 11. The aircraft proved to be agile and easy to fly. Allied pilots nicknamed it the Flying Razor, because of its sleek appearance and single wing.

Jasta 5 was issued a D.VIII. The famed ace Erich Lowenhardt used the aircraft for a short time and scored a few victories in it, but he continued to favour the Fokker D.VII.

A total of 381 aircraft were produced, but only some 85 aircraft reached frontline service before the Armistice. Some reached Italy, Japan, the United States, and England as trophies, but most were scrapped in accordance with the terms of the Armistice.

The Polish Air Force captured 17 aircraft, but only seven (six E.V and one D.VIII) were in airworthy condition. All were used against Soviet forces in thePolish-Soviet War of 1919-1920. Lieutenant Stefan Stec earned the first kill for the Polish Air Force, by shooting down a UkrainianNieuport fighter on 29 April 1919. In 1921, the remaining Fokkers were withdrawn from front-line units and transferred to the Szkoła Obsługi Lotniczej (Air Personnel School) at Poznań-Ławica airfield.
General characteristics
Crew: 1
Length: 5.86 m (19 ft 3 in)
Wingspan: 8.34 m (27 ft 4 in)
Height: 2.6 m (8 ft 6 in)
Wing area: 10.7 m2 (115 sq ft)
Empty weight: 405 kg (893 lb)
Gross weight: 605 kg (1,334 lb)
Powerplant: 1 Χ Oberursel UR.II 9-cyl. air-cooled rotary piston engine, 82 kW (110 hp)
Performance
Maximum speed: 204 km/h (127 mph; 110 kn)
Endurance: 1.5 hours
Service ceiling: 6,000 m (19,685 ft)
Rate of climb: 8.333 m/s (1,640.4 ft/min)
Time to altitude:
1,000 m (3,281 ft) in 2 minutes
4,000 m (13,123 ft) in 10 minutes 45 seconds
Armament
Guns: 2 Χ 7.92 mm (0.312 in) Spandau MG08 machine guns
Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Old 12-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Ernie P.

RCKen; So.... Who's up? Proptop or HoundDog? Proptop suggested the fictitious monoplane from "The Blue Max" (Which was indeed modeled after the Fokker E.V.), but it was HoundDog who named the Fokker E.V. amd Fokker D VIII. Thanks; Ernie P.

Originally Posted by RCKen
I had to go back and read through the wiki myself and Proptop is correct in that the plane he is referring to is a Fokker D-VIII

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) This warbird was certainly the last in one respect; and certainly the last to perform a certain feat.

(2) It was designed to utilize what was available in the way of engines and materials.

(3) Two newer engines weren’t ready; so it had to use an older design.

(4) Nevertheless, it still proved to be quite fast for it’s day.

(5) Enemy pilots reported it was hard to see or to pick out in the air.

(6) In pre-production trials, this aircraft was only marginally bested by aircraft utilizing much more powerful engines.

(7) Parasol winged.

(8) The first examples to go into combat suffered some very serious problems.

(9) Although very competitive with the latest enemy designs, it had one problem: The wing had a tendency to collapse.

(10) After the problem was corrected, the aircraft performed well.

(11) The "problem" may have been meddling by military officials.

(12) Or, it could have been sloppy, even criminally sloppy, manufacturing.

(13) Noted for being fast climbing.

Answer: The Fokker D-8; the last Fokker design to see action in WWI and the victor in the last combat between enemy aircraft.

The Fokker E.V was a Germanparasol-monoplane fighter aircraft designed by Reinhold Platz and built by Fokker-Flugzeugwerke. The E.V was the last Fokker design to become operational with the Luftstreitkrδfte, entering service in the last months of World War I. After several fatal accidents due to wing failures, the aircraft was modified and redesignated Fokker D.VIII. Dubbed the Flying Razor by Allied pilots, the D.VIII had the distinction of scoring the last aerial victory of the war.

In early 1918, Fokker produced several rotary-powered monoplane prototypes. Of these, Fokker submitted the V.26 and V.28, small parasol-winged monoplanes with his usual steel-tube fuselages, for the second fighter trials at Adlershof in May/June 1918. The V.28 was tested with both the 108 kW (145 hp) Oberursel UR.III and 119 kW (160 hp) Goebel Goe.III, though neither of these engines were ready for operational service. The V.26 utilized the standard Oberursel UR.II engine, producing only 82 kW (110 hp). While this engine was obsolete, the V.26's low drag and light weight meant that it was nevertheless quite fast. The Fokker designs were only barely beaten by the Siemens-Schuckert D.III with the complex bi-rotary Siemens-Halske Sh.III engine.

In the end, the V.26 was ordered into production as the Fokker E.V. Four hundred were ordered immediately with either the UR.III or Goe.III. Because neither engine was available in any quantity, all production examples mounted the UR.II.

The first production E.V aircraft were shipped to Jasta 6 in late July. The new monoplane was also delivered to Jasta 1, Jasta 19, Jasta 24 and Jasta 36. Leutnant Emil Rolff scored the first kill in an E.V on August 17, 1918, but two days later he was killed when his aircraft's wing collapsed in flight. After another E.V of Jasta 19 crashed, Idflieg grounded all E.V aircraft. Pending the investigation of these wing failures, production ceased at the Fokker Flugzeugwerke. According to Fokker, the wing failures were caused by the army technical bureau, which had forced him to modify the original design by over-strengthening the rear main spar. This faulty design allegedly caused the wing to twist and fail. Fokker claimed that this defect was resolved by reverting to his original design.

According to most other accounts, the source of the wing failures lay not in the design, but in shoddy and rushed construction. Fokker had subcontracted construction of the E.V wings to the Gebrόder Perzina Pianoforte Fabrik factory. Due to poor quality control, inferior timber had been used and the spar "caps", forming the upper and lower members of each spar assembly, had been placed too far apart during the fabrication. Because the resulting spars were vertically too large to pass through the ribs, excess material was simply planed away from the exposed upper and lower surfaces of the cap pieces, leaving the assembled spars dangerously weak. Other problems included water damage to glued parts, and pins that splintered the spars, rather than securing them.

Tests showed that, when properly constructed, the original E.V wing had a considerable margin of safety. Satisfied that the basic design was safe,Idflieg authorized continued production, after personnel changes and improved quality control measures were introduced at the Perzina factory.

Deliveries resumed in October. At the direction of the Kogenluft (Kommandierenden General der Luftstreitkrδfte), Idflieg redesignated the modified aircraft D.VIII. Henceforth, the "E." and "Dr." designations were abolished and all fighters received the "D." appellation. The D.VIII commenced operations on 24 October with Jasta 11. The aircraft proved to be agile and easy to fly. Allied pilots nicknamed it the Flying Razor, because of its sleek appearance and single wing.

Jasta 5 was issued a D.VIII. The famed ace Erich Lowenhardt used the aircraft for a short time and scored a few victories in it, but he continued to favour the Fokker D.VII.

A total of 381 aircraft were produced, but only some 85 aircraft reached frontline service before the Armistice. Some reached Italy, Japan, the United States, and England as trophies, but most were scrapped in accordance with the terms of the Armistice.

The Polish Air Force captured 17 aircraft, but only seven (six E.V and one D.VIII) were in airworthy condition. All were used against Soviet forces in thePolish-Soviet War of 1919-1920. Lieutenant Stefan Stec earned the first kill for the Polish Air Force, by shooting down a UkrainianNieuport fighter on 29 April 1919. In 1921, the remaining Fokkers were withdrawn from front-line units and transferred to the Szkoła Obsługi Lotniczej (Air Personnel School) at Poznań-Ławica airfield.
General characteristics
Crew: 1
Length: 5.86 m (19 ft 3 in)
Wingspan: 8.34 m (27 ft 4 in)
Height: 2.6 m (8 ft 6 in)
Wing area: 10.7 m2 (115 sq ft)
Empty weight: 405 kg (893 lb)
Gross weight: 605 kg (1,334 lb)
Powerplant: 1 Χ Oberursel UR.II 9-cyl. air-cooled rotary piston engine, 82 kW (110 hp)
Performance
Maximum speed: 204 km/h (127 mph; 110 kn)
Endurance: 1.5 hours
Service ceiling: 6,000 m (19,685 ft)
Rate of climb: 8.333 m/s (1,640.4 ft/min)
Time to altitude:
1,000 m (3,281 ft) in 2 minutes
4,000 m (13,123 ft) in 10 minutes 45 seconds
Armament
Guns: 2 Χ 7.92 mm (0.312 in) Spandau MG08 machine guns
Old 12-01-2014, 02:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I would say that is Proptop that was up. He pointed out that it was the plane flown at the end the movie The Blue Max, even though he didn't have the exact nomenclature. I did go out and read up on it to verify the model. If Proptop has a quiz ready to go he can go ahead and post it, but if not he could always let Hounddog post a quiz as Hounddog gave him an assist on the quiz.

Ken
Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 PM
proptop

Hey guys...I would prefer to think I gave a general clue, and HoundDog got the right answer...mine was just sort of a WAG...something that just popped into my head w/o any sepecific details.

I've been lurking on and off, every few days, for quite some time, but due to my irregular schedule, I would prefer to allow youze guys to come up with the question(s)

The caliber of the questions are high! and it seems to keep getting more difficult to come up w/ something in the form of a decent question.

Don't wanna hold you guys up by struggling to come up w/ a question that most likely has been asked already? (that sorta sounds like a cop-out, don't it!?
Old 12-01-2014, 04:42 PM
HoundDog

Hey guys...I would prefer to think I gave a general clue, and HoundDog got the right answer...mine was just sort of a WAG...something that just popped into my head w/o any sepecific details.

I've been lurking on and off, every few days, for quite some time, but due to my irregular schedule, I would prefer to allow youze guys to come up with the question(s)

The caliber of the questions are high! and it seems to keep getting more difficult to come up w/ something in the form of a decent question.

Don't wanna hold you guys up by struggling to come up w/ a question that most likely has been asked already? (that sorta sounds like a cop-out, don't it!?
PropTop I have a great Idea Y don't u come up with the next question ... I'm out of Ideas for a while.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:14 PM
proptop

O.K. HoundDog, I will just wing it...(ugh...bad pun..sorry) what the heck...

1) Looking for an aircraft...shares it's name with a comic strip character...
Old 12-01-2014, 08:07 PM
proptop

The first clue ain't much to go on...so...

1) Looking for an aircraft...shares it's name with a comic strip character...

2) This aircraft was the first of it's type to be used by 2 different branches of the Military...both branches receiving the planes within months of each other...
Old 12-01-2014, 08:12 PM
HoundDog

It isn't a McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II?
Phantom being the comic strip character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-01-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:26 PM
proptop

Ha! Wow...ummm...well....

Yes and no...you sort of got it...but I guess it's close enough, because I was talking about the Phantom I...

It was used as a "first" by both the U.S. Navy and Marines...

Next clue was going to be something I'd never read about before...that because only 1 of the engines was flight ready, the first flight of the prototype was on only one engine!

Guess your reprieve was short lived HoundDog, cuz now you gotta come up w/ another question anywayze

I don't recall if the Phantom I has been a topic earlier in the thread...it wouldn't surprise me if it has been. Like I said, it's getting tough to find something..for me anyway...but you guys seem to be doing pretty good!

I'm gonna try doing a little research towards another question...maybe I will get a chance to use it before too long, huh?

You're up H D

Last edited by proptop; 12-01-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:26 AM
HoundDog

OK after some research this is a quiz about one particular plane of some 10,00+ built and what it did.
1. Throughout the month of March, plane was assigned a very special project.
2. The interest in this plane was high, especially among the Russians
Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Ernie P.

OK after some research this is a quiz about one particular plane of some 10,00+ built and what it did.
HoundDog; 1,000 or 10,000 built? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
HoundDog

OK after some research this is a quiz about one particular plane of some 10,000+ built and what it did.

HoundDog; 1,000 or 10,000 built? Thanks; Ernie P.
OOOPs forgot a pesky little ZERO.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:21 PM
HoundDog

OK after some research this is a quiz about one particular plane of some 10,000+ built and what it did.
3.During the winter of 1943-1944,this airplane turned out to be the aircraft that provided more information
regarding problems in cold weather operations.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Ernie P.

3.During the winter of 1943-1944,this airplane turned out to be the aircraft that provided more information

HoundDog; you have certainly provided some diverse clues. However, I think you may well be headed toward the C-47 and the Berlin Airlift. The C-47 also conducted some cold weather research during the flying of the Hump into Burma. Thanks; Ernie P.

The R4D-5 was identical to the R4D-1 except being equipped with a 24-volt electrical system and improved cabin heating.
The R4D-5L was modified to include extra fuel and higher gross weight for use in Antarctica.

The R4D-6's were identical to the R4D-5 but were equipped with two 1,200 hp Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90C engines with two-stage,
two-speed superchargers, provisions for fuel tanks in the fuselage and improved heaters.

These aircraft had been developed for high-altitude flights over the "Hump" in the China-Burma-India (CBI) Theater.
The R4D-6L were further modified with extra fuel and higher gross weight for use in Antarctica.

Moves towards a West German state

Meanwhile, to co-ordinate the economies of the British and United States occupation zones, these were combined into what was referred to as the Bizone. (to be renamed the Trizone when France later joined). Representatives of these three governments, along with the Benelux nations, met twice in London (London 6-Power Conference) in the first half of 1948 to discuss the future of Germany, going ahead despite Soviet threats to ignore any decisions taken.

In response to the announcement of the first of these meetings, in late January 1948, the Soviets began stopping British and American trains to Berlin to check passenger identities. As outlined in an announcement on 7 March 1948, all of the governments present approved the extension of the Marshall Plan to Germany, finalised the economic merger of the western occupation zones in Germany and agreed upon the establishment of a federal system of government for them.

After a 9 March meeting between Stalin and his military advisers, a secret memorandum was sent to Molotov on 12 March 1948, outlining a plan to force the policy of the western allies into line with the wishes of the Soviet government by "regulating" access to Berlin. The Allied Control Council (ACC) met for the last time on 20 March 1948, when Vasily Sokolovsky demanded to know the outcome of the London Conference and, on being told by negotiators that they had not yet heard the final results from their governments, he said, "I see no sense in continuing this meeting, and I declare it adjourned."

The entire Soviet delegation rose and walked out. Truman later noted, "For most of Germany, this act merely formalized what had been an obvious fact for some time, namely, that the four-power control machinery had become unworkable. For the city of Berlin, however, this was the curtain-raiser for a major crisis."

The April Crisis and the Little Air Lift

On 25 March 1948, the Soviets issued orders restricting Western military and passenger traffic between the American, British and French occupation zones and Berlin. These new measures began on 1 April along with an announcement that no cargo could leave Berlin by rail without the permission of the Soviet commander. Each train and truck was to be searched by the Soviet authorities. On 2 April, General Clay ordered a halt to all military trains and required that supplies to the military garrison be transported by air, in what was dubbed the "Little Lift".

The Soviets eased their restrictions on Allied military trains on 10 April 1948, but continued periodically to interrupt rail and road traffic during the next 75 days, while the United States continued supplying its military forces by using cargo aircraft. Some 20 flights a day continued through June, building up stocks of food against future Soviet actions, so that by the time the blockade began at the end of June, at least 18 days supply per major food type, and in some types, much more, had been stockpiled that provided time to build up the ensuing airlift.

At the same time, Soviet military aircraft began to violate West Berlin airspace and harass, or what the military called "buzz", flights in and out of West Berlin. On 5 April, a Soviet Air Force Yakovlev Yak-3 fighter collided with a British European Airways Vickers Viking 1B airliner near RAF Gatow airfield, killing all aboard both aircraft. The Gatow air disaster exacerbated tensions between the Soviets and the other allied powers.[24][25][26] Internal Soviet reports in April stated that "Our control and restrictive measures have dealt a strong blow to the prestige of the Americans and British in Germany" and that the Americans have "admitted" that the idea of an airlift would be too expensive.

On 9 April, Soviet officials demanded that American military personnel maintaining communication equipment in the Eastern zone must withdraw, thus preventing the use of navigation beacons to mark air routes. On 20 April, the Soviets demanded that all barges obtain clearance before entering the Soviet zone.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:19 PM
HoundDog

Nice try but this happened during the war and the Berlin airlift was after WWII.

4. Would you believe that it snowed 26 of the 31 days that month, with a total accumulation of 34.5 inches?
The conditions were ideal for our tests,
Old 12-03-2014, 02:21 AM
Ernie P.

Nice try but this happened during the war and the Berlin airlift was after WWII.

4. Would you believe that it snowed 26 of the 31 days that month, with a total accumulation of 34.5 inches?
Okay; you're going with the singular definition of "one particular plane"; as opposed to one particular aircraft type. How about the P-38J-LO, #213565; which was used by the Cold Weather Test Detachment at Ladd Field, Fairbanks, to conduct studies of machine gun lubrication, engine lubrication, cabin heat, carburetor heat and fuel distribution problems, etc., during the winter of 1943/44? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 AM
HoundDog

Okay; you're going with the singular definition of "one particular plane"; as opposed to one particular aircraft type. How about the P-38J-LO, #213565; which was used by the Cold Weather Test Detachment at Ladd Field, Fairbanks, to conduct studies of machine gun lubrication, engine lubrication, cabin heat, carburetor heat and fuel distribution problems, etc., during the winter of 1943/44? Thanks; Ernie P.

OK Ernie U have the plane
5. but I was looking for the major test conducted on this P-38 during the winter of 43-44
This test made this fighter very unique
Old 12-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Ernie P.

OK Ernie U have the plane
5. but I was looking for the major test conducted on this P-38 during the winter of 43-44
This test made this fighter very unique[/QUOTE]

Sorry; I thought naming the tests conducted, dates, location, specific aircraft by tail number and unit would have covered it. Still, not a problem. Here you go. Thanks; Ernie P.

During the winter of 1943-1944, I was assigned an airplane that turned out to be the aircraft that provided more information regarding problems in cold weather than most others. It was a P-38J-LO, "Lightning", #213565. This P-38 was specially equipped with 54 thermocouples located in as many places in the aircraft, and I could read the temperature of each through selectors with a potentiometer located where the gun sight normally was mounted. This special installation enabled us to study machine gun lubrication, engine lubrication, cabin heat, carburetor heat and fuel distribution problems, etc. The Lockheed engineer assigned to my project was Lee C. Chambers, a wonderful man, and a great help to many of the project officers in the Cold Weather Test Detachment at Ladd Field, Fairbanks.

Throughout the month of March, this P-38 was assigned a very special project testing a set of retractable skis. Mr. Frank Ditter, the president of Federal Aircraft Skis, Minneapolis, Minnesota, the manufacturer, assisted with the installation and testing. His personal interest was created by some problems which occured when another P-38 was ski equipped in northern Minnesota. It was damaged on the ground and never flew.

[IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Ernie\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_i mage001.jpg[/IMG]Would you believe that it snowed 26 of the 31 days that month, with a total accumulation of 34.5 inches? The conditions were ideal for our tests, and I made 165 landings, with complete retraction and extension of the skis between each landing. The interest around the base was high, especially among the Russians based at Ladd Field. Every operation was successful, even the dive test, during which the plane reached speeds up to 450 mph. The advantages were small, though. The ski loading was 640 pounds per square foot, and regardless of the depth of the snow, the skis went to the bottom of it. The propeller clearance was only 14 inches and we could plow that much snow on wheels. The skis worked well on rough snow, covered ground, or ice with cracks, while on glazed ice the landing slide was 7,000 feet. With no torque involved and the engines idling at 500 rpm, it was easy to do figure eights on the ground in the width of the runway.

[IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Ernie\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_i mage002.jpg[/IMG]It was a pleasure to be the project officer on this aircraft and make it do all the special things that it was capable of doing. While testing the skis, the right engine was flown with the first synthetic oil ever flown, carrying a 165 gallon belly tank on the right side only, with a quantity of synthetic oil just to service the right engine. This unbalanced looking condition drove some of the Russian pilots up a tree, wondering how the P-38 flew with all that weight on one side.

We were able to start the Allisons without heat and off the battery down to -30 degrees. It was a very good cold weather airplane and I was always first off the ground on cold mornings.

-Randy Acord, Capt., AAC
Old 12-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Ernie P.

HoundDog; is my answer correct? Is that what you were looking for? Or is there another angle I haven't considered? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Ernie P.

HoundDog; are you still with us? Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.