Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today's clue:

Looking for a well-known airplane.

1. Single engine, single seat (except for a trainer version).

2. Set some records and had one significant "first."

3. The Icarus story is relevant here, as well.

4. Although initially intended for a different role, it was used as a fighter by a large number of countries.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That last clue could be either an A-7 Corsair II or an A-4 Skyhawk. Both were used as fighters and, in addition, the A-4 was used as an "aggressor" by Top Gun, and not just for the movie
Old 02-28-2016, 09:30 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll go A-7 and TA-7 as well. they were both Nuclear capable and were primarily designed for dropping bombs so lacked something in the Fighter Mode but you still wouldn't want to turn your back on one.
I flew the TA-4 and A-4Super Fox the Super Fox was a Blue Angle bird with a std paint scheme. While TAD to VC-13 in Oceana in the early 80's. It would go supersonic in a slight dive and I felt like I would Imagine driving an Original AC Cobra.
Sparky
Old 02-28-2016, 09:32 PM
elmshoot

Oh I just thought the F-16 Falcon and its first was a all flyby computer.
Sparky
Old 02-29-2016, 05:22 AM
Top_Gunn

Not the A-7 or the A-4. Flown by many more countries than either of those.

Looking for a well-known airplane. Note that clue no. 1 has been corrected.

1. Single engine, single seat (except for night fighter and trainer versions).

4. Although initially intended for a different role, it was used as a fighter by a large number of countries.

5. It had a somewhat unconventional layout, partly to save weight and partly to suit its engine.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:10 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

5. It had a somewhat unconventional layout, partly to save weight and partly to suit its engine.

6. In testing for a program that was eventually abandoned, it made a number of gear-up landings, successfully.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I almost thought it was the Defiant, then thought again since the Defiant didn't have any forward guns and actually couldn't fire forward at all
Old 03-01-2016, 09:35 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clue number 6 makes me think of those rubber (were they inflated or?) landing strips that IIRC the British were experimenting with...gear up landings...
Can't recall the details right off handthough...
Old 03-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Top_Gunn

Two more clues, because I think this will go pretty quickly now.

6. In testing for a program that was eventually abandoned, it made a number of gear-up landings, successfully.

7, Adding some detail to clue no. 3: In this case, the Icarus myth is an analogy, not a reference to the name of the airplane. It suggests not the aircraft itself but the company that designed it.

8. One of the pilots who flew it is a very well known writer of thrillers, several of which have been made into movies.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:30 AM
proptop

Maybe it because my Dr. changed my medication...but I am thinking of a certain actress named Olivia (she was in Gone With the Wind...and a friend of Errol Flynn)

That, and the flex deck the British messed around with in the 50's...

How 'bout a thumbs up or thumbs down if I am anywhere near the target Top_Gunn...would that be O.K. with you?

Otherwise....I ain't been able to connect the dots yet...
Old 03-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Top_Gunn

You're almost there, Proptop. Your Icarus clue for the last question had me looking there, but of course it didn't pan out for that one.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:29 PM
elmshoot

Steven Coonts might be answer to #8.
Sea Vampire
An idea tested but never taken to completion was the "flexible deck". In the early jet age it was seen that by eliminating the landing gear for carrier borne aircraft the inflight performance/range would be improved. This led to the concept of a deck that would absorb the energy of landing, the risk of damaging propellers no longer being an issue though take off would require some sort of launching cradle. Test were carried out wit
Old 03-02-2016, 02:03 PM
proptop

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Steven Coonts might be answer to #8.
Sea Vampire
An idea tested but never taken to completion was the "flexible deck". In the early jet age it was seen that by eliminating the landing gear for carrier borne aircraft the inflight performance/range would be improved. This led to the concept of a deck that would absorb the energy of landing, the risk of damaging propellers no longer being an issue though take off would require some sort of launching cradle. Test were carried out wit

I think you're right...
That's the one I was trying to think of...the Vampire / Sea Vampire...
It sure was used by a LOT of different countries!

I am recalling now, an old buddy who was a right waist gunner in a B-50D, telling stories...one involved a Vampire "intercepting" them somewhere over England...must have been 1951 or '52...
He's 86 years old now, and still getting out to the R/C flying field once in a while.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Top_Gunn

Well, that's close enough, Elmshoot, though I think you should split your winnings with Proptop. I was looking just for the Vampire, not for any particular variation.

The Icarus reference, as Proptop saw, was to Geoffrey de Havilland, Jr.'s, death when one of his father's company's planes broke apart in midair on a test flight. He was the test pilot who flew the Vampire prototype. His brother was also killed in a de Havilland aircraft. Olivia de Havilland was one of his cousins (as was Joan Fontaine, I think).

The Vampire was intended at first as merely a test bed for an early jet engine, but it proved so successful that it was eventually adopted as a fighter, fighter-bomber, or trainer by 31 countries. It set altitude and speed records, was the first jet to cross the Atlantic, and the first pure jet to land on a carrier. Its odd shape was partly to save weight but also to avoid a long tailpipe, which cost power that the early jet engines couldn't spare. The gear-up landings worked, but the program fizzled out anyway, perhaps because engine improvements made the weight reduction of having no landing gear not worth the trouble.

The writer I had in mind is Frederick Forsyth, who wrote "The Day of the Jackal," "The Odessa File," "The Dogs of War," and quite a few other books of that sort. He joined the RAF right after finishing school, and had some strings pulled to get in early, so he became the RAF's youngest jet pilot. He flew Vampires, but by then the Vampire was not a first-line fighter, and the Cranwell graduates got to fly those, so he left the RAF when his hitch was up and went on to many other things.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 PM
proptop

Thanks Top_Gunn...
Joan Fontaine was Olivia's sister...I can thank Turner Classic Movies for that tidbit of info

I didn't know that the Vampire had be used by so many different countries! (amongst other things)

There was an early 50's British movie with (Sir?) Ralph Richardson playing the head of a big aircraft manuf....his son dies when the test aircraft breaks-up in a high speed dive...it was a flying wing design...sort of like a larger version of the Me-163...drawing a blank on the name.

Anyway...elmshoot / Sparky...as far as I'm concerned, please take the helm...
Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by proptop
Thanks Top_Gunn...
Joan Fontaine was Olivia's sister...I can thank Turner Classic Movies for that tidbit of info

I didn't know that the Vampire had be used by so many different countries! (amongst other things)

There was an early 50's British movie with (Sir?) Ralph Richardson playing the head of a big aircraft manuf....his son dies when the test aircraft breaks-up in a high speed dive...it was a flying wing design...sort of like a larger version of the Me-163...drawing a blank on the name.

Hey, proptop; might you be thinking of Geoffrey de Havilland? Thanks; Ernie P

In 1909, Geoffrey de Havilland married Louise Thomas, who had formerly been governess to de Havilland's sisters. They had three sons, Peter, Geoffrey and John. Two of the sons died as test pilots in de Havilland aircraft. His youngest son, John, died in an air collision involving two Mosquitoes in 1943. Geoffrey Jr carried out the first flights of the Mosquito and Vampire and was killed in 1946 flying the jet-powered DH 108 Swallow while diving at or near the speed of sound. Louise suffered a nervous breakdown following these deaths and died in 1949. de Havilland remarried in 1951, to Joan Mary Frith (1900-1974), a divorcιe. They remained married until his death.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:00 PM
proptop

Hey...have a look here...hope this link will work

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/3...ropulsion.html

There is also a clip from the start of the movie...1952...and the link to the test running of a new method of propulsion...

The movie has predominately Supermarine aircraft in it, and starts during WWII with a Spitfire entering compressability buffet in a high speed dive.

edit: Ernie...the DH 108 Swallow is the one I was thinking of...and the movie "The Sound Barrier" is a pretty cool movie...with a bit of "Artistic License" taking place, of course.

Last edited by proptop; 03-02-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:38 AM
Ernie P.

All;

Well, proptop turned things over to elmshoot, who hasn't been around the last couple of days and may not even be aware of the situation. I've PM'ed elmshoot. If no response soon, the floor will be declared open. Thanks; Ernie P.

Thanks Top_Gunn...

Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 AM
proptop

Hello all...
I have been messing around with another computer...my other one pooped out on me yesterday morning...and it's the one with all of my
favorites" ...the cool aircraft websites in it...etc. etc. and like a dummy, I hadn't backed-up those files...

This one I'm on now has had a fresh install (Operating System) and I've just been tinkering with it...it is essentially starting over again with a clean slate...

I've got a quiz question in mind Ernie, but my brain and computer are in somewhat the same condition...half blank and the other half all missmash...

If ya'll don't hear from Sparky / elmshoot (or me) by this evening....then do your thing Ernie...O.K.?
Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Ernie P.

Hello all...
I have been messing around with another computer...my other one pooped out on me yesterday morning...and it's the one with all of my
favorites" ...the cool aircraft websites in it...etc. etc. and like a dummy, I hadn't backed-up those files...

This one I'm on now has had a fresh install (Operating System) and I've just been tinkering with it...it is essentially starting over again with a clean slate...

I've got a quiz question in mind Ernie, but my brain and computer are in somewhat the same condition...half blank and the other half all missmash...

If ya'll don't hear from Sparky / elmshoot (or me) by this evening....then do your thing Ernie...O.K.?

Not a problem, proptop. I hope you get both items rebooted and running clean very soon. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:02 PM
proptop

O.K....gonna give it a shot...

1) Looking for an aircraft

2) Could be considered "multi-purpose"

3) One engine...one wing...two seats

4) Same basic design...and was built by two different manufacturers...and had two alpha-numerical designations
Old 03-04-2016, 06:22 PM
uncljoe

SWAG ...... TBM/TBF Advenger
Old 03-04-2016, 07:19 PM
elmshoot

Uncun Joe was pimping me to put something up, in turn I was trying to get my brain trust to step up they are crazy good.
Pugs and Herble. I came into work one day (20+ years ago, when I didn't have to worry abut what i was going to wear to work) and they were arguing about the color of the inside of a cowl on an obscure
European mfg fighter form the 30's, these boys are sick.
So I will wait for another chance.
My drive by shot. F-15 made by McDac and Mitsubishi
Sparky
Old 03-05-2016, 10:31 AM
proptop

Not the Avenger...
Not the F-15...

4) Same basic design...and was built by two different manufacturers...and had two alpha-numerical designations
(let me modify this statement...same alpha but different numerical)

5) This aircraft changed the way the parent company was viewed, by the powers that be, because it had previously been a rather small, might say obscure manuf.

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

8) One version / designation was operated by 4 countries...
The other variant was operated by 7 because it was a bit more versatile

Last edited by proptop; 03-05-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:37 PM
proptop

(let me modify this statement...same alpha but different numerical)

5) This aircraft changed the way the parent company was viewed, by the powers that be, because it had previously been a rather small, might say obscure manuf.

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

8) One version / designation was operated by 4 countries...
The other variant was operated by 7 because it was a bit more versatile

9) This clue is inspired by the post (elmshoot) above:
The inside of the cowl panels might be painted in young Bamboo / light Olive color, or a transparent blue / green

Last edited by proptop; 03-05-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.