Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
OK this one started life as a Warbird.
Time for another clue, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:59 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Sorry for the delay I had a minor surgical procedure this afternoon. This airplane started out life as a warbird.
1. When this airplane was built it was considered a large undertaking.
2. The airplane was an all metal design.
3. Most of the production aircraft were built as land based but a small number where equipped with floats.
4. The design was inspired by the early work from a designer in another country and the engines came from a manufacturer in a third country.
5. The airplane had a crew of six.
6. The original engines on the prototype were too expensive so a different engine licensed from a different company for the production model.
_______
Old 06-14-2017, 06:08 AM
Ernie P.

FlyerInOKC; you are required by our rules to post at least one new clue per day. Please do so. OTOH, if there are extenuating circumstances, you will probably be forgiven; but let us know what is happening, please. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sorry I have a been a bit under the weather, head is killing me and my right is swollen now it is hard to see anything. I will throw out a couple more hints out for everyone to chew on and make up for yesterday. I'm surprised I haven't had more guesses.

This airplane started out life as a warbird.
1. When this airplane was built it was considered a large undertaking.
2. The airplane was an all metal design.
3. Most of the production aircraft were built as land based but a small number where equipped with floats.
4. The design was inspired by the early work from a designer in another country and the engines came from a manufacturer in a third country.
5. The airplane had a crew of six.
6. The original engines on the prototype were too expensive so a different engine licensed from a different company for the production model.
7. In order to get the first prototype out of the factory a hole was knocked in the wall.
8. One of these aircraft was used as a mother-ship for a parasite airplane in an early experiment. (This clue should be a good smoking gun.)
_____
Old 06-14-2017, 08:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The zeppelins Akron and Macon(with their Sparrowhawks) come to mind as does the B-29 with the F-84 Thunderstreaks to go along with my earlier B-36 guess
The only other one's I could find are the Russian Tupolev TB-1 and TB-3, the Petlyakov Pe-8 bomber and the GST flying boat -- a license-built US Consolidated PBY Catalina
Old 06-15-2017, 05:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The zeppelins Akron and Macon(with their Sparrowhawks) come to mind as does the B-29 with the F-84 Thunderstreaks to go along with my earlier B-36 guess
The only other one's I could find are the Russian Tupolev TB-1 and TB-3, the Petlyakov Pe-8 bomber and the GST flying boat -- a license-built US Consolidated PBY Catalina
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner! Give that boy a burnt cookie! While you did mention more than one the correct one is one of those you mentioned. Since I don't see anything in the rules against multiple answers in the same post will go with it.
The winning guess is the Tupolev TB-1!
The Russian Civil War pushed the Russian Empire out of World War 1 (1914-1918) and lasted until October of 1922 to which the Soviet Empire emerged from its ruins. From the remnants of the Imperial Russian Air Service was also formed the air branch of the Soviets recognized rather simply as the "Soviet Air Force". During the middle of 1924, the service called on local ingenuity to fulfill a long-range heavy bomber need and this resulted in the Tupolev concern taking the lead on the project.

The design would be a large undertaking for the recovering nation, powered by multiple engines and requiring the attention of multiple crewmen. All-metal construction (to include Duralumin corrugated skinning influenced by Hugo Junker's earlier work) would give it a modern appearance and advanced capabilities for the period. The end result was the Tupolev TB-1 by Andrei Tupolev - known to the company as the "ANT-4".The first prototype was built during 1925 on the second floor of Tupolev's factory in Moscow, it being necessary to knock down a wall to allow the aircraft to be taken out of the building in pieces. After reassembly at Moscow's Khodynka Aerodrome, it was flown on 26 November 1925.[4]Testing was successful, and it was decided to put the ANT-4 into production as the TB-1. Production was delayed, however, by shortages of aluminium, and by the need to find a replacement for the expensive imported Lion engines, the BMW VI (and later the Soviet licence-built version, the Mikulin M-17). Production eventually started at the ex-Junkers factory at Fili, Moscow in 1929, 216 following the two prototypes, production continuing until 1932.[5]
[6] It was produced in both wheel- and float-gear variants (a total of 66 ANT-4 seaplanes built).The first production aircraft was completed as an unarmed civil aircraft, named Strana Sovyetov (Land of the Soviets) for a propaganda flight from Moscow to New York, taking an eastward course via Siberia, reaching its destination on 3 November, flying 21,242 km (13,194 mi) in 137 flying hours.[7] The TB-1 became the Soviet Air Forces' first standard heavy bomber, also being fitted with floats for use as a torpedo bomber (TB-1P), and for aerial survey operations.

This aircraft became the largest all-metal aircraft to be constructed in the Soviet Union up to that point when it was unveiled in 1925. The selected engine series was the British Napier "Lion" of which two would be fitted to the wings (one per wing). A low-set monoplane wing mainplane was selected and a traditional single-finned tail unit used. A stepped cockpit was fitted at front of the slab-sided fuselage. A tail-dragger undercarriage arrangement was used.

A first-flight was recorded on November 26th of that year. After successful evaluation of the system it was ordered into serial production as the "TB-1".Internally, the bomber was crewed by six. Structurally it held a length of 59 feet with a wingspan of 94.1 feet and a height of 16.8 feet. Empty weight was 10,000lb with a Maximum Take-Off-Weight (MTOW) of 15,015lb. Production forms were powered by the M-17 V-12 liquid-cooled inline piston engine developing 680 horsepower - these were licensed-built BMW VI series V-12 engines.

Performance-wise the aircraft was able to reach speeds of 110 miles per hour and comfortably cruise at nearly 100 miles per hour. Range was out to 620 miles and its service ceiling was 15,845 feet. Rate-of-climb was 595 feet-per-minute.

For point defense, the bomber was outfitted with 6 x 7.62mm Degtyaryov (DA) Machine Guns fitted at various positions about the frame. Provision was made for up to 2,205lb of conventional drop ordnance to be carried.

After completion of two prototypes, the TB-1's arrival as an operational weapon system was slow as there proved logistical issues in obtaining the required engines (the original Napier Lions) and aluminum. Serial production, therefore, did not begin until 1929 and lasted until 1932 by which point a total of 216 aircraft would be completed (not counting the two prototypes). Most of the lot were completed with a wheeled undercarriage though some sixty-six emerged with floats to serve on water (in the TB-1P torpedo bomber role). ANT-4bis became a third prototype while the G-1 designation marked designated transport version of the bomber.

The first available example was delivered for civilian service and flew from Moscow to New York City as a newsreel initiative. The voyage took 137 total flight hours to complete but nonetheless caused a sensation. From this point forward deliveries to the Soviet Air Force commenced and it soon became the service's standardized "heavy". The aircraft went on to serve the Air Force, Soviet Naval Aviation and passenger carrier Aeroflot before it met its end.

The TB-1 also became the focus of Soviet "parasite fighter" experimentation in which the large aircraft was to serve as mothership to smaller, recoverable fighters launched from her hold. This project was known by the name of "Zveno" and involved a pair of Tupolev I-4 biplane fighters.

The TB-1 series was superseded by the more-modern TB-3, also by Tupolev, in 1932. Eight hundred eighteen of this design followed.

Many TB-1 bombers ended their days as the aforementioned G-1 transports under the direction of Aeroflot.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-15-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay guys, now that I cracked that nut, I'm going to open the floor since I'm going to be away from internet access for a while. First one with a question gets the floor.
OKC, I was actually surprised when I saw the plan was to mount up to five fighters on each TB series bomber. While I can see that being doable with the Akron and Macon, due to their size, I just can't see how it would work reliably on a much smaller bomber. Hell, even the B-36 was only going to carry a couple of Goblins each
Old 06-15-2017, 07:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

I agree, I think they were overreaching with their technology and the bomber's abilities. I picked a Soviet aircraft on purpose we in the west have such a reach history in aviation it is easy to overlook the east block countries, that and most of the airplanes they designed were butt ugly.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Ernie P.

All; Hydro Junkie has declared the floor open. So if you've been waiting for your chance to ask a question, the time is now. First up has the floor. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hey Elmshoot, Proptop, and PD1 how about throwing a question out? You all have made good guesses in the past. It isn't hard any idiot (Including me) can do it. Pick your favorite flier or weird/unusual/obscure or just plain like airplane.

Mike
Old 06-16-2017, 12:04 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's try this one...looking for an aircraft...

1) "Heavy Bomber" (I put this one first just for H-J...lol )

2) Manuf. between the wars...(1918 - 1939 time frame)

3) Named after a City and / or piece of apparel...

(edited to say City and to add and /or to clue 3)

Last edited by proptop; 06-16-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 PM
FlyerInOKC

I'm going to guess the Vickers Warwick bomber circa 1939?
Old 06-16-2017, 01:22 PM
proptop

Not the Warwick...

4) Biplane

Last edited by proptop; 06-16-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:36 PM
proptop

4) Biplane

5) All Wood structure...Fuselage covered with plywood...
Old 06-16-2017, 07:43 PM
FlyerInOKC

Darn, I was thinking the Handley Page Heyford which was built in the 30s and shares it's name with a city and a dress.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 PM
proptop

Well...I will say that you have a general idea of the geographical location...

4) Biplane

6) Single engine
Old 06-17-2017, 01:49 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by proptop
Well...I will say that you have a general idea of the geographical location...

4) Biplane

6) Single engine
The British naming protocol for their planes was interesting, and pretty much narrowed this one down a bit. How about the Derby? Thanks; Ernie P.

The de Havilland DH.27 Derby was a large single-engined biplane designed to a heavy day bomber Air Ministry specification. It did not reach production.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:32 AM
proptop

That is the one Ernie...
My next clue was going to be the lack of Cabane struts...it has a center pylon (which also contained fuel tanks) connecting to the upper wing center section and the folding wings mechanisms...a big ***** biplane as we New Yorkers might say...

They made 2 prototypes...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH.27_Derby

Your turn Ernie...

Last edited by proptop; 06-17-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:45 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by proptop
That is the one Ernie...
My next clue was going to be the lack of Cabane struts...it has a center pylon (which also contained fuel tanks) connecting to the upper wing center section and the folding wings mechanisms...a big ***** biplane as we New Yorkers might say...

They made 2 prototypes...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH.27_Derby

Your turn Ernie...
Well, rats. Okay; I'll have something by tomorrow. I'm out all day today. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 AM
proptop

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Well, rats. Okay; I'll have something by tomorrow. I'm out all day today. Thanks; Ernie P.

Ahhh....such are the gambles in playing this game...aye?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:25 AM
proptop

It amazes me that just a few years after WWI that there were single 650 H.P. engined "Heavy Bomber" type aircraft like the Derby and Aldershot...
The11,500 Lbs. gross wt. of the Dh.27...64 ft. equal span biplane...a big ole bird...
Less than a decade earlier, designs were struggling aloft with far less than a hundred Horsepower...
Old 06-18-2017, 06:58 AM
Ernie P.

A morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:

1. This pilot served in more than one war.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 AM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Goering
Old 06-18-2017, 11:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ernie is this the one I suggested to you last month? If it is I'll sit it out and just watch the fun!

Mike
Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Ernie is this the one I suggested to you last month? If it is I'll sit it out and just watch the fun!

Mike

Sir; just sit back and watch, FlyerInOKC. It should be fun. An afternoon clue; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:

1. This pilot served in more than one war.
2. He flew many successful missions; but is perhaps remembered more for a few less than successful ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.