Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Vailly Tempest MkV on the way...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Vailly Tempest MkV on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 AM
bhoffo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vailly Tempest MkV on the way...

Hi Pete, thought the easiest way was to do a short video, so here is the link to it: http://youtu.be/qPs5RpL650U

And here is another short video - just a 'walk-around' the model prior to the first flight: http://youtu.be/000Pdl62d9k

Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Vailly Tempest MkV on the way...

very cool, thanks for that [8D]
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 PM
bhoffo

So now the model has had 6 flights - I just can't get over how good it looks; particularly in the air when its doing turn 4 to come back toward the flight line; with (not much) imagination you could be mistaken for believing its the full size aircraft coming in for a strafing run - just tremendous!! (I don't doubt that I'm biased either! )

The one down side is that I had a DJ80cc engine in it - the Chinese copy of the DA85 - albeit with 5cc less displacement. I was having difficulty in tuning it lean enough to prevent the coughing sound that can be heard on the video. Tune it leaner and sure enough when the throttle was fully open it would run clean however pick up from a lower throttle position was unreliable... So, to cut a long story short I have bitten the bullet and now installed the higher quality (hopefully) DA85. Haven't run it yet - that should happen tomorrow briefly just to check all is ok and then off to Shepparton (Victoria - Australia) in 2 weeks time for a large scale model annual rally where I hope to give the model several flights over the 4 days we're there.

Managed to get some video shots of it over the last 6 flights and have now amalgamated the best of them into one and uploaded onto Youtube - gee its difficult to get a good video of a flying model! (have bought a tripod now for the next film making attempts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovTjPzuSwsE A good friend of mine with a high quality 'still' camera managed to get some great airborne shots too which I'll attach here...
Suffice to say, I'm very happy - love the aeroplane and how well it flies...
Old 09-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

good luck with the DA-85 and the Shep flyin. I have heard horror stories of shep with doddery old fools leaving radios on while tuning and fiddling in the car park, more relevent in the days of 36Mhz.

Still carnage happens there!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

mate that looks really good in the air and lovely landing, well done.

What was the AUP in the end and where do you have your CG?

I seem to have had major problems with my Vailly Seafury with CG. Basically very much same aircraft as yours but with less wing. CG according to Roy was same on both and I set mine based on the Tempest plans as I did not have the Seafury plans then.

Long story short I was having major problems landing it the last few times I have flown since converting to a Zenoah GT-80 twin. I think I have gone very nose heavy. Outcome is that I have to build a new wing, old one shattered.

Now have the Seafury plans so will build the new wing and hopefully get it flying nice again.
cheers
me
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM
bhoffo

Thanks for the kind words about the video and pictures... I'd love to get a really good video done with a professional camera but that would cost some big bikkies!

Bugger about the Sea Fury too... I wasn't sure on the Tempest whether the CG should be done with the U/C extended or retracted so I sent an email off to Roy Vailincourt. He recommended setting it up so it was just a 'tad' nose heavy with the U/C down - so that's how it is. I think the mark on the plan is about 6 3/8" behind the leading edge. The model tends to want to 'balloon' a little when it's going full tilt so a little down is held on then. The AUP? Do you mean weight? Well the dry weight is just a little over 18kg - since setting it up with the DA I've now also changed the 32oz tank to a 40oz; so there will be a little more weight up front early on in the flight, won't make a hell of a lot of difference though as it's not that far in front of the CG to start with.

I've been to Shepparton 3 times now and haven't seen any of the carnage you speak of; though I don't doubt it has happened. As you say, more likely in the days of FM and not so much now with most on 2.4. It's really a good rally though, lots of beautiful BIG models.. I thought the Tempest was Big - but when it' beside some of the models there it's size doesn't stand out as much as you'd expect.

Cheers
Old 09-10-2013, 02:35 AM
bhoffo

Default Finished Tempest in the air!

I doesn't appear that the images I uploaded previously came through; I'll try again!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7255.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	1918698   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7260.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	1918699   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7270.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1918700   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7296.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1918701   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7308.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	1918702   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (95).JPG
Views:	311
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	1918703  
Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

very nice mate. How do you like the DA-85? I have the same engine for my build sitting patiently. 4 blade flying prop? What sort, size and what RPM are you getting?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 PM
bhoffo

I haven't flown with that engine yet; have only started it a couple of times on the ground to ensure everything operated correctly - and it did!

It started very quickly once the fuel was choked into the carbi and idled smoothly. The throttle response from idle to full (and all through the throttle range) was also very smooth. DA recommends not running it in on the ground but in the air to keep it cooler (I think) so each run was only up to about 5-7 min duration.

I had a 'Xour' (think that's how it's spelled) 2 bladed timber 26 x 10 prop on which again DA told me would be ok for running in and also for afterwards. It topped out at just on 6,200 Rpm which is also where they said it should run up to for bedding in, using the Castrol 2 stroke oil I purchased from them with the engine at 32:1 (for running in) on standard unleaded fuel. They recommend Not using high octane fuel which was good too. They mention in the manual about sizes of multi bladed props that are appropriate for the engine however I don't think there would be much of the blade in a 4 bladed prop sticking outside the 7" dia spinner so I've made a dummy 2 bladed prop the same dia as the flying prop, this slides in and sits between the cowl and spinner back plate and at a casual glance appear 'real' - as can be seen in the photo with me beside the aeroplane.

When I was running the DJ 80 in the model it left a dirty black exhaust mark under the model as can be seen in some of the photos in my previous post. There is no sign of that occurring with the DA which I am happy about.

8 days before we leave for Shepparton!

Cheers!

Last edited by bhoffo; 09-10-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Include prop details
Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

very cool, that oil stain on the belly looks very realistic as these things leaked oil in great quantities.

Fuel, od the manul says to use high octane 91 or 93 grade.

As for RPM from the manual "Use a prop that allows peak RPM over 6,200 during the break-in process. "

Might want to put a prop with less diameter on to get the RPM up.

Regardless of size or brand, it is importantto not overload the engine during break-in. Check the rpm on the first run and make sure it is
around 6,200 rpm or higher

My other gassers leave quite a lot of oil residue, the MVVS 30 in the 1/4 Tiggy is the worst. Powerful engine but makes a terrible mess. The Zenoah GT-80 in the Seafury is not too bad actually.

anyway I gigress and should be working and not dreaming of getting back to my planes. For want of a workshop again grrrrrr
Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Maverick47

That is one beautiful Tempest my friend. I've got one that is almost completed, I've done my darnedest to keep the rear of the plane as light as I could. Could I ask how much weight did you add to the nose to balance this beauty?