Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

120-inch Focke Wulf Ta-154 build.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

120-inch Focke Wulf Ta-154 build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 120-inch Focke Wulf Ta-154 build.

Thanks for the nice pics Tim. Hopefully when this bird is done, it will tour as many shows as I can make.

In the mean time, I will begin gluing some wing ribs. It looks like I should be able to get away with 1.5 inch tubes.

Is one tube per outer wing panel with alignment pins enough? Also, how do you guys attach your wings to your fuses on giant scale twin like this?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 AM
JPate147

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Ziroli B-25 (118 inch) and a P-61 (114 inch) and I use 1/4 by 20 steel hex head bolts (with fender washers) into deep blind nuts. I have never had one loosen or fail. I also have a Comp-ARF Corsair (110 inch) and that wing is held on by ridiculously small bolts (metric equivalent of an 8 by 32) so I wonder just how much strength we actually need. Good luck with your project, it looks great.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Sessholvlaru

Thanks JPate147, that does put my mind at ease. Are your bolts/bolt access holes hidden? Since my wing will bolt on from the top, I need a way to hide the "holes" that the wing bolts are serviced from.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Sessholvlaru

Need more advice guys. I'm making this a three piece wing broken right outside of each nacelle. Is one 1.5 inch carbon tube with alignment pins enough per side, or two tubes per side? Again, I have no idea as to a final weight but I do know I want this plane to be fast/strong.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Sessholvlaru

Ok.... Well I'll go with two tubes per wing tip. How about a source for reasonably priced carbon tubes?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Define reasonable priced?

Carbon Tube Source
http://www.tntlandinggear.com/composite_tubes.htm

P.S. Good luck with your build and I'll be following!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Sessholvlaru

Thanks mimoore67, I sent TNT an e-mail last night to see if they could advise me about the wing tubes. They are reasonably priced. I will have to start working on the fuselage now because no more progress can be made until the wing tube situation is figured out.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 PM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru
Again, I have no idea as to a final weight but I do know I want this plane to be fast/strong.
About 70 pounds depends on your engines. The engines sit pretty far forward, I assume you have to put the batteries/servos in the tail.

At this point - if I would be in your shoes, I would build the wing first and attach the engines or the weight of the engines to the nacelles. After framing and side sheeting the fuselage it is to evaluate what goes in the back. Without knowing your exact weight of engine/muffler/spinner/ignition it is hard to tell.

As it looks you can put the rudder and elevator servos very far in the back. That means you need to plan for access hatches and routing of the push-rods, harder to do when the fuselage is framed up and sheeted.

I guess you get my drift...
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Sessholvlaru

G-Pete: 70 pounds? I have been reading about twins larger than this weighing 40 to 50 pounds (even those 132-inch C-130's in the Multi section). I certainly hope to keep it under the AMA limit.

The only thing I know is the original 70-inch plane had the servos in the middle of the fuse with pushrods. I would like to avoid servos in the rear if possible because the fuse is very narrow back there, even at this size. But again, I will get more of an idea as the build progresses.

I am building the wing, but like I said I need to figure out wing tube sizes and locations. I could really use some advice there if you want to read my last few posts.

I have talked a bit with Sierra Precision about gear, hope to get an estimate. [X(]

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:16 PM
G-Pete

If you can build that airplane lighter that would be great.
Well, there are is some heavy stuff in there, like the landing gear mount, the long motor mounts and the main spar connecting with the front landing gear. That all has to be 1/4 inch with exception of the spar. The main spar can be sandwiched. The outer wings could be foam core - this would save some weight. Simple flap system, light engines, balsa build up nacelles and light wheels.
If Darrel builds you a under carriage this thing will have it's weight - they are tough and sharp looking, but they are not light weights.

I've read all your posts in this build thread - I answered you question already about the wing tube location and size.

If you are interested about a wing connection which I developed - no dowels a secure tight one, let me know I will post some pictures and explain when you start your wing.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Sessholvlaru

I figured that was just a guesstimate with your wing tube location. Also I need to take the rib spacing and upper/lower spars into consideration and grab at least two ribs on each side, right?

The ribs are already cut so I will stick with built up tips.

I need the gear to be as scale as possible, and I don't have the machine shop to make my own. Sierra seemed like a logical choice.

I would love to see your wing connection method. I was thinking about a spring loaded latch that I could conceal the release as, say, a small panel. The latch would slide into the center section and lock. I wanted to avoid the "bolt through the tube" if I could.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Sessholvlaru

Well I never heard back from TNT and Troy Built had a sweet deal on a 1.5 inch x48 inch CF tube that should easily suit my needs.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Sessholvlaru

Well I am glad to say that I finally took delivery of my wing tube from TBM. I also got the remaining wood from the cutter and have been working toward getting retracts built. More wing progress pics to follow.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Sessholvlaru

Well I was working with Darrel at Sierra Precision a bit. Sent him a bunch of drawings, etc. Also bought a nose strut for a KMP Skymaster I am building. After much back and forth-ing and thinking I had my man, he changed his mind and turned me down. Very disappointing, although he did tell me to check back with him after the 1st of next year... Needless to say this has put a damper on things. Have chatted with Bruce at Century Jet, may go with him.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you talk to Lenny at Shindin Machine?

http://shindinmachine.com/
Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Sessholvlaru

No, but I will certainly give him a shot. Most of his gear looks sport scale, and my gear needs to be just like your signature.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
WINDSHEAR II
My Feedback: (258)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sessholvlaru,
The build looks to be coming along fine! At this point I'm not sure if you need it anymore, but I have a copy of the RCM May '76 issue that featured this build/review. If you still need it, I can send it to you and you could get whatever you needed from it (I DO want it back!). Like the member from the opening page, I too have the plan set for the 80" span version. But I have thought of doing this one at the original 70" span for a pair of OS Wankel engines. I'll continue to follow your progress!

Stephen
Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Sessholvlaru

Hey. Thanks for your kind offer WINDSHEAR II, but I ended up getting a photocopied article. We would not want to leave that valuable mag in the hands of the Post Office anyway!

I have not done work on the Ta-154 in a while as I got a new job recently and have not had time. I am also going to contact Darrel at Sierra and bug him to make my gear.

More progress pics to follow soon! The wing should go together fairly quickly.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Any updates on this. I'm looking for plans for this also to make one electric. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Sessholvlaru

Hey. Not much in the way of updates...I think the Ta-154 will get a lot more done as the winter approaches. I was (am still am) having no luck getting someone to make me custom struts that won't cost $2,000.

You can get the same plan I got (which I blew up) from RCM's website or on eBay.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:33 PM
spinnetti

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Thread back from the dead..... Did this plane get finished/fly? I found the thread as I was trying to find a good picture of the main wheels. There are pics, but none good enough to make sure I got all the details right. I'm making landing gear for it in 1/6 scale in Aluminum. Stainless Steel and Brass. Due to it being a trike, and unique in construction, its quite a project. Nose design is done too, but this is the mains design and includes working drum brakes.

Old 09-17-2023, 03:59 PM
Sessholvlaru

Originally Posted by spinnetti
Thread back from the dead..... Did this plane get finished/fly? I found the thread as I was trying to find a good picture of the main wheels. There are pics, but none good enough to make sure I got all the details right. I'm making landing gear for it in 1/6 scale in Aluminum. Stainless Steel and Brass. Due to it being a trike, and unique in construction, its quite a project. Nose design is done too, but this is the mains design and includes working drum brakes.

Nope. Never could get the gear made and I’m not a machinist.

I’ve still got the kit and will finish it someday.

Will pay you if you make me a set, lol.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:39 AM
spinnetti

I'm doing 1/6 scale.. what scale does yours work out to? If there's a match, I can make you up something - probably hybrid 3D printed/Metal combo. There's no real cheap solution if you want it to be scale though. I just printed the main beam in ABS and its plenty strong enough and much cheaper than machining it.

You have any reference pics showing a clear shot of the main wheels? This style I did was commonly used, but not sure if exactly what was used.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:56 AM
Sessholvlaru

At 120” mine comes out to 1:5.25 scale, so close enough. I’d love to buy a set.

I have tons of documentation, books, and that nice Dragon plastic model.

Will check my laptop later. Got tons of pictures.

Old 09-21-2023, 01:53 PM
spinnetti

I've test printed key parts, and looks like hybrid 3d printed/metal is going to work fine. Will build out a set over the next couple months, then see how feasible the nose gear is.